First ewheel

Hey guys!

Im thinking about buying my first ever euc. For now im looking at around 1-1.2k eur (1200-1350 usd) price tag, so prolly ks16s, v8f or mcm5v2.

The speed is not really important. Its gonna be a learning/rather slow ride wheel anyways. 72kg (158lbs) btw. 

mcm5v2 seems to be a bit more sporty? ks16s "safe/newbie friendly"? and for v8f idk. it has good opinions tho.

ks16s seems to be best option, but i'd love to hear someone with actual experience, as the specs arent always 100% accurate, so which one would you guys recommend?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Hey! Welcome to the community!

I personally love the Mcm5v2. Its definitely the most bang for your buck out of your choice of wheels. They call it the mountain climber for a reason haha. This thing will climb baby. That said the Mcm5v2 has one trade off and that is that it's not the easiest wheel to learn to ride on. Most of the people I've taught to ride have given me this same feedback about that wheel versus something like a ks16s or in my case the mten3. Almost everyone can get up and going on the mten3 pretty quickly because the pedals sit a little lower to the ground. If you have the determination you can learn how to ride on any wheel. Just take it slow and learn the basics like mounting and dismounting before moving on to riding. I like this guys take on learning. 

Good luck! Eucs are truly amazing.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Another vote for MCM5v2 love here! IMO its certainly the most exciting wheel of the bunch mentioned here & nothing beats it in its price range.

I won't go into the looks but far's build quality goes, because its my "winter" wheel & my extreme technical dirt climbing wheel, I've tossed mine in innumerable ways & even dunked it sideways in 8"+ puddles of cold slushy water more a coupla times. It's also my hood runabout & skatepark trickster.

Amusingly I find that its the easily wheel to ride in my stable. At least much easier & less 'tricky' than the Mten3. Besides the obvious limitations of the 14x2.5 tire & 800wh battery, its my fav. I love it but as always, its a YMMV

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I maybe should have gotten an MCM5 for my second wheel (small and light, just for goofing around), but went with the much cheaper and harder-to-ride Mten3. I wouldn't advise the Mten as a learner! But the MCM5 should have staying power both as your learner and for later as your goofing around wheel... granted, I haven't actually ridden one so value my opinion accordingly.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Tawpie said:

I wouldn't advise the Mten as a learner!

In my experience so far most people responded the opposite. Most of the new euc riders I've worked with have had trouble getting started on the Mcm5v2 but were able to pick up riding the Mten3 in just a couple of minutes. I also thought that the Mcm5v2 would be a good wheel to teach people to ride when I bought it, but its higher center of gravity can be awkward at first. Everyones learning experience is different though so maybe the only solution is to own both wheels haha!

Edited by SorenStarr

I'd recommend the MCM5 as well for a first wheel. I don't own one yet but read on:

Some may not agree but I'd say, your height and weight is a factor on choosing your first wheel - it's about leverage when learning to mount.

If this helps as a reference; I'm about 164cm at 63kg. I have an mten3 - small, light and harder to mount at first but super nimble. I use it a lot for errands. After 6 months, I bought a 16X - heavier, taller, stable to mount, smooth but requires more input. I use it for commuting.

The MCM5 seems to fit in the middle and I'm likely getting one soon. You'll probably buy a few later as well. 

Protect your ankles when learning. The initial foot-pain will subside in time. Good luck

Edited by Surfling

3 minutes ago, greentung said:

I've taught newbies on both MCM5 and Mten3. The mten3 is definitely easier for them to pickup. I think combination of low to ground, wide tires, and good torque (small tire). Newbies tend to roll very slowly. They're afraid to move up to speed. The mten3 is stable at very slow speed.  

I think this is a better advice than what I posted above.

I learned on the Mten3.  It is definitely easy to learn the riding part but it is horrible for learning to start and stop.  I never did learn to mount it like you do with any other wheel.  If you mount a larger wheel with the proper balance you can glide for a while without placing your 2nd foot on.  The Mten you have to sort of hop at the 2nd foot placement and if you miss you will likely get a chunk taken out of your ankle before it runs out of death spin.  Every wheel has its positives and negatives for learning.  I think If I had to start over i would have learned on a tesla or V10.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

The part I have issues with in most small wheels is the low leg support point when mounting. It creates a strong force against my leg making it hard to get on. I’d imagine that beginners often have the same issue, and that they would benefit from a wheel that has a higher contact point in relation to the wheel width, such as any Inmotion, 16X and 18XL. MTen3 and MCM5 don’t really have any support, so mounting will surely be very hard.

That said, the actual ride on the mTen3 is like nothing else. It really is the master of slow speeds. Tall DIY pads on the side and it might just be the best learner ever.

@Magpie EUC has a point though, ease of learning might not be very beneficial if you need to buy a new wheel in two weeks. But one rarely knows whether riding will be worth the dedication, so a cheap Mten3 can make sense here as well.

I bought a V5F to learn on but within a few weeks I wanted an upgrade. I then bought a 16S and I actually thought it was an easier wheel to learn on than the V5F because the 16" tyre meant it was very stable. It's range and speed are also pretty decent. The 16S is quite a rugged wheel and mine still looks in great condition 18 months later. The handle also works well when visiting coffee shops and going shopping. The V8F is probably similar though the MCM5 V2 is a 14" wheel which means it can be a little squirrelly - I'm not sure it's good having beginners on squirrelly 30 mph wheels :) I think the best thing though is to ask around to see if there's anyone local who might show you how to ride - this saves a lot of time and frustration. They might even have an old wheel you can learn on, seeing wheels first hand helps a lot. 

• Like 1

Yay, talking about tires, my favorite! :lol:

I absolutely agree, and I kind of see them squirrelly 14” wheels as speciality trick wheels. Or kids’ wheels. But the MCM5 V3 has a 14x2.5” tire, making it feel almost as stable as the 16S with a default 16x2.125” tire. But there is a reason why a 2.5” mod is common on the 16S as well. It is absolutely still no V10F, but it gets a good way in that direction.

If there were cheap and reasonable 16” x 2.5” wheels in the markets, they could quite easily win the best learner wheel reward. If Inmotion came out with a V8W (Wide) for example… I actually modified one V8 (version 1) to fit a 2.5” tire, and it really transformed the wheel from a tiny cheapo to an actually nicely handling wheel.

• Like 1

• 8 months later...
1 hour ago, heresiss said:

Sup yall. Sorry for disappearing. 

Thanks for the suggestions and opinions. My final decision after reading all your comments was mcm5.

The learning process was really ... interesting id say. Learning to mount it took forever. Just like some of you said it was rather harsh on my leg cuz of the low support (ty mom and dad for nice leg muscle genetics tho. would be a nightmare without them). Also understanding what angle/force i need to use to stay lvl while mounting was a lengthy process for me. 

After i finally figured it out its just a pure joy. There's still a lot of room for improvement, but the wheel already feels amazing. Fast (for my needs at least), nimble, performs well in various kinds of terrain and its light so stairs are not an issue.

We thought you died!!! OMG you're alive!!! 

BEGODE Gotway :barf: I hope there will be no fire. Best wishes. As people like to say - what's your next wheel? Start thinking. :D 

Every day you ride, you learn - gain confidence. I hear more and more speed alarms now. :D 

• Like 2

On 3/22/2022 at 2:37 PM, heresiss said:

Sup yall. Sorry for disappearing. 

Thanks for the suggestions and opinions. My final decision after reading all your comments was mcm5.

The learning process was really ... interesting id say. Learning to mount it took forever. Just like some of you said it was rather harsh on my leg cuz of the low support (ty mom and dad for nice leg muscle genetics tho. would be a nightmare without them). Also understanding what angle/force i need to use to stay lvl while mounting was a lengthy process for me. 

After i finally figured it out its just a pure joy. There's still a lot of room for improvement, but the wheel already feels amazing. Fast (for my needs at least), nimble, performs well in various kinds of terrain and its light so stairs are not an issue.

one of us...one of us...one of us.....:thumbup:

• Like 1

Well... i had some accidents already. atgatt is the reason im still in one piece and pushing my limits rather hard. all them lil falls (from curbs etc) are getting me. still dont know how to make them properly at speed. the euc falls faster than me and im landing on the pedals in an awkward way... followed by me crashing sometimes. kinda feels like gluing something like a powerpad that would hold my feet in place could help.

Tbh i got it last year and rn id go for v8s prolly. small battery was the reason i eliminated v8f. i really didnt want to go for a begode, but mcm5 just seemed better than other wheels for most of my requirements.

when it comes to my next wheel... its prolly gonna be in a year or 2. im not that rich, eucs are expensive and battery technology is still in early medieval times, but from the available rn i really like ks18xl (lots of ppl using them on this forum, including you. if we wont get a huge breakthrough i might me 'one of us' not only because of riding an euc, but also because of riding an 18xl :D), maybe v11/12 (opinions about inmotion's quality) or sherman if i find a few k eur on the ground.

Edited by heresiss

12 minutes ago, heresiss said:

Well... i had some accidents already. atgatt is the reason im still in one piece and pushing my limits rather hard. all them lil falls (from curbs etc) are getting me. still dont know how to make them properly at speed. the euc falls faster than me and im landing on the pedals in an awkward way... followed by me crashing sometimes. kinda feels like gluing something like a powerpad that would hold my feet in place could help.

Tbh i got it last year and rn id go for v8s prolly. small battery was the reason i eliminated v8f. i didnt really wanna go for a begode, but mcm5 just seemed better for all of my requirements, and speed/power wasnt one lol.

when it comes to my next wheel... its prolly gonna be in a year or 2. im not that rich, eucs are expensive and battery technology is still in early medieval times, but from the available rn i really like ks18xl (lots of ppl using them on this forum, including you. if we wont get a huge breakthrough i might me 'one of us' not only because of riding an euc, but also because of riding an 18xl :D), maybe v11/12 (opinions about inmotion's quality) or sherman if i find a few k eur on the ground.

Mcm is a fun wheel. You shouldnt NEED power pads or toe locks for it, but nothing says you cant. WHen going off jumps, perhaps you need grab with the ankles just a shade more? If I don't properly prep with my knees for curb drops, my mten can also kind of fall before I do. Gravity effects you and the wheel the same, so if you can just get started falling WITH the wheel, you wll continue to fall with it. Keep practicing and know that the slower you ride off a curb, the more you may need to bend those knees in prep for it. Overbend those knees and allow them to slightly straighten as the wheel drops. Dont straighten too much or itll seem like you are pounding the wheel into the  ground. Even if your body doesnt fall as fast as the wheel, you can make your feet fall as fast. Your torso is kind of like the anchor and your legs are like the shocks. Always suck up the hit once you do finish the drop, kinda like if you were to hop off a curb on foot.

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, heresiss said:

Sounds like some kind of a spring mechanism between the EUC and your center of gravity could solve the issue. You know, a way for your feet to retract and extend from your torso as needed. Something like this maybe:

image.png.3c070bad637531c9e435be7b26e7e0d5.png

:D

• Like 1

Thank you for the advices. Its kind of what im trying to do, so i got the direction right, but seems like i need to put more movement into leg bending/straightening or just do drops more often so my brain learns what to do automatically. Will spend the whole day tomorrow practicing lol. 

• Upvote 1