Trolleying Sherman went out of control

Lilvodka

Embarrassing moment.  Was trolleying my wheel in the supermarket, it tilted back and I had to lift it with the trolley handle to stop it spinning away.  Has this happened to anyone else, any ideas what it could be?  Turned it off and on, was okay.  

• Like 1

I surmise it’s a bug in the latest firmware. Same thing happened to me two weeks back. Left tire marks and a burning rubber smell on the mall floor. Something like this shakes your confidence in the Sherman, but I haven’t had the same issue since. It happened after I jerked the trolley handle forward. I am careful now not to push the Sherman too fast while trolleying it.

• Like 1

What?

I guess the euc "dont care" if you trolley or ride (it should only consider load) and act on one scheme...thats what i thought.

Only difference is the load on the motor. When trollying allmost zero, when riding...more than allmost zero :-)

And how on earth can it tilt back when unloaded just from a jerk of the trolley? Seems like a fail safe but they forgot to think of motor load, just considered change in angle degrees/second and by that they tilt back?

What's more concerning is, what happens if you accelerate HARD and sudden when riding on this new FW? Will it tilt back hard?

Edited by Boogieman

I wonder if this is what actually happened in the infamous Stop&Shop incident - maybe being around one of their creepy patrol bots was just a coincidence.

• 1 month later...

I had this exact thing just happen to me. Aside from the obvious embarrassment, i hope they dont confront be about the skid marks i left in the rite aid floor next time im there, it def worries me that something like this could happen when im riding. Anyone have any insight?

KS18XL have been triggered in mall / supermarkets due (most probably) to EM perturbations from various systems. Sounds like you guys all had it happen in shops? An alternative to lifting would be laying it on the side. Very embarrassing anyhow.

(BTW: the mudguard can get lifted by escalator stairs causing a free spin as well.)

My Sherman tilted back (aggressively) while trolleying several months ago (probably in a grocery market). Same situation where upward force on the trolley handle caused the wheel to accelerate so I hit the power button before it could get worse.

17 hours ago, Azazel said:

Anyone have any insight?

Somehow this sounds that for some reason tiltback is initiatedand so if one tries to keep the trolley handle upright the wheel accelerates. So just letting the wheel "jump forward" the bit it needs for tilting should be all needed?

As @gon2fast stated above!? How did 

4 hours ago, gon2fast said:

so I hit the power button before it could get worse.

the power button work? The wheel really stood still afain after tilting?

If so this could to be some overcurrent/power/whatever alarm triggered causing the tiltback? Maybe caused by some not perfect low speed motor drive algorithm? Low speed/standstill is imho one of the hard pieces to solve as there are the highest (almost unlimited) motor currents possible, which can frying mosfets instantly...

So for driving there should be no "danger" but unforseen tiltbacks could happen. At low speed riding?

Could be overheating, only fans working, no fresh airflow, the low(est) speed lowest load produces a lot of waste heat (bad eta, the controller pulses full throttle with the wheel almost standing still this is almost a shortcut). Could be similar to the low speed uphill overheating.

• Like 1

On 4/30/2021 at 9:51 AM, Topkek said:

in the supermarket

On 4/30/2021 at 10:43 AM, Mango said:

mall floor

On 5/6/2021 at 9:37 AM, Bone said:

Stop&Shop

22 hours ago, Azazel said:

rite aid

9 hours ago, gon2fast said:

grocery market

Kingsongs had RFI issues in the past, perhaps Veteran too...

22 hours ago, null said:

KS18XL have been triggered in mall / supermarkets due (most probably) to EM perturbations from various systems.

https://forum.electricunicycle.org/topic/20844-ks18xl-sudden-shut-down-inside-store/

On 5/6/2021 at 9:37 AM, Bone said:

infamous Stop&Shop incident

What'd I miss? Link?

Thx

Edited by RagingGrandpa
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, Chriull said:

the power button work? The wheel really stood still afain after tilting?

Yes, the power button worked to turn it off during the mishap. When I turned it back on  the wheel functioned normally. 

On 6/25/2021 at 10:03 AM, RagingGrandpa said:

What'd I miss? Link?

Thx

Someone's Sherman freaked out next to one of Stop&Shops weird robot butlers, and people commenting about it on one of the EUC Facebook groups were being banned/muted for it.  Here's a decent video on it 

• Like 1