KS18XL sudden shut down inside store

null

Trolleying the 18XL inside a large supermarket earlier today it suddenly shut down, no beep, no warning, no apparent reason.
I read some people have experienced it to be sensitive to theft detection EMF, but this never did anything on mine. I was in the frozen department, with rows of freezers. I suspect some of these machineries might have created enough EMF to disturb the logic board to the point of shutting down. Quite strange though. I powered it back on immediately and it behaved normally. 

I rode back 15Km without any issue. Anyone with similar experience?

edit: healthy batteries, recent tyre change, (no logic board or power connector fiddling) cool temperature..

Edited by null
  • Like 1

Yes, there is even people saying that KS18L hate shopping :-) Yes this is quite "normal" for KS18L/XL. Suppose to be fixed on the new version of motherboard. It's due to some electrostatic charges accumulating and literally crashing CPU... This seems to only occur when with trolley opened and never during a ride. On oldest versions of firmware, instead of just shutting down, the motor was heating to a very high temperatures and an emergency was to dismount it and disconnect power...  (happened to me in BHV store :-) )

• Like 3

Thanks for confirming, it is an early production (12/2018) so that matches.
Your BHV experience sound terrible, it takes a quite a bit of work to get to the power connectors.. (x_x)
Good it fails softer now.

Edited by null
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

Happened to me today.  Rode to work, trolleyed in just like I do every day and it just stopped.  It didn’t go limp it was like the motor froze, the handle came out of my hand and it fell on the floor.  This worried me because I was just riding the beeper for about a mile straight.  Stood it back up, rolled it a little bit then it started to vibrate kind of rough when slowly moving it back and forward, then it tilted back and shut off.  Tried it a bit later and when I moved the handle from fully extended to half extended the motor locked up and I just about dropped it again.  Restarted it rolled it around for about 10 more minutes and I could not get it to do it again.  Rode it home slow for the first 2 miles, then brought it up to closer to normal rising speed and it did fine.  Weird.  As long as it never happens with the trolley handle down...

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 1/30/2021 at 10:03 PM, Joker10 said:

Happened to me today.  Rode to work, trolleyed in just like I do every day and it just stopped.  It didn’t go limp it was like the motor froze, the handle came out of my hand and it fell on the floor.  This worried me because I was just riding the beeper for about a mile straight.  Stood it back up, rolled it a little bit then it started to vibrate kind of rough when slowly moving it back and forward, then it tilted back and shut off.  Tried it a bit later and when I moved the handle from fully extended to half extended the motor locked up and I just about dropped it again.  Restarted it rolled it around for about 10 more minutes and I could not get it to do it again.  Rode it home slow for the first 2 miles, then brought it up to closer to normal rising speed and it did fine.  Weird.  As long as it never happens with the trolley handle down...

First of all this issue happens only when not riding. Then to my understanding this is due to electric charges accumulation and happens most of the time with trolley extended, and on a surface or places witch produce strong static electricity. I know places here, usually shops, where I can reproduce this almost 100% of time.

• Like 1

I wonder if it KNOWS the trolley is up and this makes a difference. Or, is the trolley acting like an antenna of sorts and directing the emi down towards the board? Mine hasnt done it, but i also am hardly near anything but pavement and trees. This sucks to hear, but also seems kind of comical to me. Its always somethin aint it? :)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ShanesPlanet said:

I wonder if it KNOWS the trolley is up and this makes a difference. Or, is the trolley acting like an antenna of sorts and directing the emi down towards the board? Mine hasnt done it, but i also am hardly near anything but pavement and trees. This sucks to hear, but also seems kind of comical to me. Its always somethin aint it? :)

There is no sensor other than lift, but the antenna theory is interesting :)
At least if it only happen trolley deployed it is a lesser issue.

• Like 1

@GothamMike has had suspicious shutdowns that might be EMI related as well, did yours have the "For recommend to be outdoors not proximity to interference radio" sticker on the inside of the outer shipping box? (you have to open the bottom flap of the outer shipping box, it's stuck between the two pieces of cardboard, sticker is brownish with tan ink).

Edited by Tawpie

I don't know, The 18XL that cut from EMF was second hand, so no box. It was produced in 2018 so elder board version.
My second 18XL was bought new (produced summer 2019) and didn't have any such indication as far as I've noticed.

Could be the importer adding such a warning label.

oops. I tend to be sarcastic more often than I should, it's a bad habit I have no intention of growing out of.

There isn't any such label that I know of, but it seems there is reason to add one. Honestly, I doubt anybody would ever warn you about susceptibility to EMI.

But KS should investigate and address the issue in my opinion, and if I was within warranty (and had a spare wheel) I'd make a fuss with my distributor. It's not right.

• Like 2

I don't think it's due to an electric buildup because this had nothing to do with the trolley handle. 1Radwerkstatt from Germany say it is the stabilizing mechanism that can overreact while trollying. This causes the violent shaking. I experienced it on my 18 xl, it is a 2nd batch wheel from early 2019. After a firmwareupdate the shaking disappeared, instead the wheel shuts down. This was a common issue but thanks to a better firmware I have not experienced it for quit a while.

Motor freze is another problem. When I bought my wheel there were several cases where motors froze and it was impossible to turn off the wheel. In this case you had to open the wheel and disconnect the battery to prevent fire. As far as I know this has been fixed.