New Rider Needs Advise: Inmotion V11 vs. Kingson s18

If I can add my two cents to this discussion. 

I have both v11 and three s18 (one with a modded fox shock)

I received the v11 late in October, got hit by a car and thus didn't had time to fully try the v11 until two weeks ago. But it's winter up here and I do love riding in snow, trolling the kids and I would say that previous winters the king was my z10, with the large tire would work like a charm in the snow. But this winter I would say the s18 is magical. Nimble and light and the suspension is a charm to take bumps. No surprise here.

My main claim is I tried the v11 in the same snow trails and it was horrible. By far the worst of all my wheels in this condition. I think it's a combination of my lack of practice with that wheel, but the absurdly high pedals plus a tire so slippy I almost killed myself trying to ride at half the speed I was going with the Z10 and s18.. you just can't carve without falling. Really strange tire reaction. 

But the center of gravity of this wheel is way too high

I almost fear of using that wheel this spring and might wait until full summer, as I fear hitting a sheet of black ice, which I wouldn't fear with other wheels.

And I also fear riding this one in dirt or gravel roads.. 

So, overall, s18 is my best.

Edited by Eric plam
  • Like 3

If I just want s18 to be ready to use out of the box without any mod... how long will I have to wait... 

It'd be useful also to know if Kingsong is coming out with another suspension wheel this year, cos if they don't then I expect more attention in this year's s18 batches

@ Rotan, I have a Batch 3 wheel. I received it in late December and have had zero issues in regards to the suspension. It was very smooth out of the box.

With both chambers discharged, the wheel would easily slide down on it's own when picked up. No funny noises, wheel was aligned correctly and no software issues in unlocking the wheel or performing firmware updates. I strictly use EUCworld but did use the KS app to unlock and update out of the box.

I've been riding it every weekend since then and it has performed as intended. I took it out on an unfamiliar MTB trail over the weekend with very steep climbs and tons of ruts on the dirt roads due to the recent rains and it handled beautifully.

A have a few vids on my YT channel and will be posting this weekends adventure sometime this week. I'll include a "dash cam" view that shows the front wheel as it goes over certain terrain. :efee6b18f3:

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, 5Cauac said:

@ Rotan, I have a Batch 3 wheel. I received it in late December and have had zero issues in regards to the suspension. It was very smooth out of the box.

With both chambers discharged, the wheel would easily slide down on it's own when picked up. No funny noises, wheel was aligned correctly and no software issues in unlocking the wheel or performing firmware updates. I strictly use EUCworld but did use the KS app to unlock and update out of the box.

I've been riding it every weekend since then and it has performed as intended. I took it out on an unfamiliar MTB trail over the weekend with very steep climbs and tons of ruts on the dirt roads due to the recent rains and it handled beautifully.

A have a few vids on my YT channel and will be posting this weekends adventure sometime this week. I'll include a "dash cam" view that shows the front wheel as it goes over certain terrain. :efee6b18f3:

Man that's so good to read.

If they are addressing the problem, I could make my move for a batch 4.

Checked the channel, well done! If riding an EUC wasn't enough for head turning, the dog in the backpack is just overkill 🤣

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Rotan said:

Man that's so good to read.

If they are addressing the problem, I could make my move for a batch 4.

Checked the channel, well done! If riding an EUC wasn't enough for head turning, the dog in the backpack is just overkill 🤣

Thanks! Head turning and any upper body movements for that mater takes time before you become comfortable doing it without losing your balance.  I still remember just checking my smart watch for speed would throw me off balance. I wont even go into what happened when i first tried to groove to tune i was listening to while riding. :efefa6edcf:

As for riding with my loved one, I always keep it at a minimal safe riding speed. I do open it up a bit on clear straightaways though but never over 32km with her on my back. :P

• Like 1

Haha you are right, with the last line I was meaning something else though, that people already turn their head to watch you when you pass by on EUC, but with a dog on the back you bring the amazement of pedestrians to an other level!

Well, I sent a message to Myewheel.com asking what s18 batch they are currently shipping and if they have any update, waiting for an answere 

5 minutes ago, Rotan said:

Haha you are right, with the last line I was meaning something else though, that people already turn their head to watch you when you pass by on EUC, but with a dog on the back you bring the amazement of pedestrians to an other level!

:roflmao:So true!

On 2/22/2021 at 12:29 AM, Unventor said:

I don't really understand why people keep comparing the S18 vs V11 as they are very different wheels built for 2 different main use. 

Because they are the only two widespread EUCs with suspension as of now?

I chose V11 because I looked for a cruiser, not a pit bike.

And given that S18 has 3P battery, I find it not reliable enough for me. It is the peak power that makes the difference between spill and save, and 3P lacks there.

Regarding the high pedals, they took me 3 kilometers to get accustomed to them. After that they have no downsides, allowing me to turn sharper and skimming through rubble or narrow deep tracks in the countryside without fear of clipping the terrain.

V11 is less jumpy than S18 though, good thing that I'm not fond of jumping on EUC.

On 2/22/2021 at 12:29 AM, Unventor said:

That said I do hope both Inmotion and Kingsong can fix the things their customer have as problems with both V11 and S18. This is still a young business that is moving forward at an insane pace. 

Totally agree here.

On 2/22/2021 at 1:09 AM, Rotan said:

it's a very heavy wheel, will I still be able to maneuver it even among the people in situations where I need to go very slow?

Both of these wheels are much more difficult to maneuver through the crowd than 14d, u can't beat the laws of physics

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Leoric said:

Both of these wheels are much more difficult to maneuver through the crowd than 14d, u can't beat the laws of physics

Maybe but I can ride mich slower in control on a 18x3" tire or 16x3" than I ever could on a smaller tire/rim. Also having a larger wheel make you often a bit taller so you can see over the crowd. That said I do not move as pedestrian if I can avoid it. And having AVAS on with a speaker and EUC.WORLD helps to make people aware I am coming or behing them. The few times I tested a 14" EUC I found it to be too twitchy to my liking. To me some mass and wider tire is much more beneficial like V11 or KS16X or Z10. Overall I prefer the V11 by far. And the higher pedals of a V11 vs a 14" wheel outweighs what you see as downside on a bigger wheel. And yes tire type and shape has something to do with tvis too. I am looking forward to spring so I can get my summer tire back on my V11. (6-8 weeks from now maybe). 

As of the battery configuration of the S18 that is the biggest downside to the S18 in my opinion. That thing is difficult to do anything about. A not so great assembled suspension system can be overhauled. 

I just don't like the battery config of the S18 and the open to mechanics design. 

And with the upcoming fix to the V11 bearing problem I have hard time to picture myself on a S18. I just thing the V11 is much more wheel for the buck. 

However not all will see things like I do. And that is why diversity of models and features are great. 

59 minutes ago, Unventor said:

I just don't like the battery config of the S18 and the open to mechanics design. 

And with the upcoming fix to the V11 bearing problem I have hard time to picture myself on a S18. I just thing the V11 is much more wheel for the buck. 

And I want so much to see myself on an s18 instead of a v11... cos I never go over 30 km/h but I go on everything, offroad, urban, trails... and I like the aggressive design, looks like a wild animal 😎

And I'm scared of the balancing on the high pedals, and the odd look being so high🤣 I mean I'm already 196cm, don't wanna reach the sky and look like slenderman! I know I have problems. 

V11 looks like a better deal bang for the buck, but the s18 has its sense IF it delivers what it's supposed to. 

• 3 months later...

I'm interested in this thread as I'm considering upgrading my aging V8.  I keep going back and forth, based on new videos or new information.  This video was particularly interesting to me, as "Wrong Way" was clearly in favor of the V11 in an earlier video, but then he made this update where he says how fun the S18 has turned out to be, and he says that he got rid of the previously highly favored V11 because of all the build/quality problems.  So at least for his experienced rider/user, the S18 won out in the end.  As a mountain biker, the suspension on the S18 makes sense, because it also keeps the batteries and other parts from getting jostled by the terrain.  The V11 isolates the rider, but the batteries and rest of the wheel get punished by the terrain.  I wish there was a way to ride both before riding.  Anyone have either in Salt Lake City?

• Like 1

Had my batch 1 S18 for >6mths now. Haven't done a whit to it except some silicon lubricant on the suspension joints & shafts. Just came back the day from a mix 60/40 dirt/bikepaths ride. EUC.W showed >65kms with 21% batt which makes me think 70kms is easily attainable.

Granted, there was not highspeed runs but then there's only so much speed one can do offroad (& I'm talking tight twisty forest stuff) or even on the bikepaths. This is under optimum temps ~25c.

All things being equal, I would think the V11 would have a harder time keeping up on the rough stuff. So it depends on your typa needs. If its all dirt or mostly dirt, get the S18. If its mostly urban with much better range, the V11 is the choice du jour.

• Like 1

The whole premise of the original question in this post is setting this thread up for a fan-boy banter discussion between S18 and V11 owners. Both wheels had some growing pains when they were released last year, like any new wheel has. If suspension is what you are looking for, then you can't go wrong with either one of these wheels.

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

Figured I'd bump this thread rather create a new one as I am trying to make the same decision between those 2 suspension wheels - would like to hear some recent thoughts/advice.
(There is also the KS S20 on the horizon but I get the impression this is going to be another monstrously heavy 'performance' wheel, so probably not for my use case - commuting and cruising on bicycle paths.)

V11 is something I have been eyeing for more than a year now - it is by far the best looking EUC for my taste, also love that it doesn't have any unnecessary features like mood lighting or speakers.
Upside of S18 is the more sophisticated suspension and lighter weight (will be using it as a commuter, so there is no way to get around carrying the EUC a few flights of stairs on occasion).
Range and power - both are fine I guess, would be nice to have the extra that V11 offers, then again I seldom go past 25kp/h and longest rides I have are usually 30-40km per day.
Now, I would pick the V11 for the looks & design alone if it wasn't for my doubts about the reliability of the unit.
There are the known issues with the hollow-bore motor bearings, which I am somewhat willing to take a risk on, however I have also spotted several reports of V11 just dying under people, even when riding at slow speeds - seemingly caused by board failures?
Now, as I am someone who doesn't generally ride 'padded up', this is something a bit concerning.

How is the general feeling here regarding the reliability of those 2 wheels? I haven't noticed as many report on S18 dying/board failures - does this mean it's truly a more reliable wheel?

• Like 1

I cannot compare this but still.

I don't think the weight difference between V11 and S18 matters. This comes down to a better lifting point of the V11 and it has a slimmer design. Or the very least very slim compared to tire width and battery capacity.

I still do not understand why people compare these 2 wheels. The are so different in build and range and power that it really isn't possible to do this. 

By power I mean motors might be similar rated but battery pack cannot compare between these and what you can draw from both is different. In the end of the day I see this as a huge advantage for the V11. As a commuter wheel the practical design between lifting and trolleying the V11 is different again not really see the S18 competing on this. 

Now new build motors come with extra factory mounted seal for the bearing. It doesn't mean it cannot fail but the risk is lower now. 

As for control board, one need to know more of each situations when a board breaks down. 

I had 2 drive boards to fail on me but that was my doing breaking a connector and possibly the other due to wrong mounting motor cable order. I had a replacement board that died on me under conditions that really shouldn't happen (500m on first test run). Drive boards have different design now compared to early batches. 

Now the shortage of available electronic components might play in on quality as parts are much harder to source now. 

Also Inmotion moved to Samsung cells so on battery cells it should be similar. But having more cells gives more range and less cell stress or cell under same condition.

If you are to mount pads of any sort I think they are easier to fit too on the V11.

So it really comes down to what extra do you like to have that makes the wheel cover more situations?

Btw you can maybe have a "better" suspension on the S18 but it rarely comes like that from factory. If that is fixed I don't know. But I still advocate the V11 suspension is good and what look to be better on paper really don't feel that bad in practical use. 

Now I have 2 V11 and no S18. So I am biased and I am very open about that. Speaking of open, I am not a fan of the S18 open design at all. That and battery power and construction made the V11 very easy pick for me.

• Like 1

I've not ridden a suspension wheel but obviously the ride feeling will be much nicer on both of these wheels. I don't think you'll get more range from either the V11 or the S18 compared to your Tesla V2. If you don't ride padded up then I'm guessing speed isn't so important. The V11 is designed as a commuter and has great lights but you just have to trust they've fixed the hollow motor bearing problem. The S18 is great for really rough terrain and I love the design but it does have a smallish battery. The big problem will be when you get to those stairs and find both these wheels weigh about 60% more than your Tesla V2 - maybe if you do it once per week it won't matter but if you're climbing a couple of flights a day then I'd think again. 

2 hours ago, ARo said:

There is also the KS S20 on the horizon

There is also a new begode suspension wheel coming -- rumors have it that details will be announced within a week. There is also a KS S16 coming some time later. To me the S16 is the most intriguing -- if they manage to combine 16X low-speed performance, climbing and range with the S18 technical off-road skills and add 100V to push top speed to ~60kph it could be a great mid-range wheel.

• Like 2

Thank you for the inputs.
Yeah, extra speed and range aren't that important - I am mostly looking for the suspension, nicer design and better lights (no back light on Tesla..)
I do need to navigate some stairs daily so I wonder how I'll feel with the extra kilos, I think I'll manage up to 30 tho if the handle is ok (the one on Tesla is squared for some reason..) - I guess I'll get some extra exercise.

On 8/18/2021 at 4:58 PM, yoos said:

There is also a new begode suspension wheel coming -- rumors have it that details will be announced within a week. There is also a KS S16 coming some time later. To me the S16 is the most intriguing -- if they manage to combine 16X low-speed performance, climbing and range with the S18 technical off-road skills and add 100V to push top speed to ~60kph it could be a great mid-range wheel.

What are the chances this begode suspension feel will not be a some super heavy monster? I wouldn't bet on that. :P
KS S16 does sound promisin but this seems like something I won't get get my hands on before the next summer.
I am still leaning towards the V11 as I simply like the looks of it much more but I will probably debate a bit longer with my wallet, weather I should wait for the new model announcements or just pick it up right now (both V11 and S18 seem to be available locally atm.)

• Like 1

13 hours ago, ARo said:

just pick it up right now (both V11 and S18 seem to be available locally atm.)

That pretty much sums it up. Just freaking do it! Today will be gone soon and new wheels will more than likely be still around. Quit stalling and get on with it. Flip a coin, doesnt matter!:eff02be2d7:

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 2