New Rider Needs Advise: Inmotion V11 vs. Kingson s18

I've decided I'm getting into EUC's.  They look so much fun, and in a lot of ways, a practical form of personal transportation (especially exploring cities or on vacation).  

Since I'm a new rider I don't expect to be off-roading right away.  I plan on riding mostly bike paths and roads, but there are some good hard packed dirt roads in the state parks nearby which I plan to ride.  

I believe a suspension EUC would be terrific after watching a ton of review videos.  It seems that taking some of the bumps out of the ride makes it much more stable (so long as you have your suspension adjusted properly).

I was sold on the V11 because it seems to fit with how I plan to ride (mostly road).  But, the S18 is lighter, more nimble and almost the same range (although I saw a comparison video and the V11 had 30% more range).  

Also, quality and cost are a consideration.  With only $200 difference between the two, I'm leaning towards spending a little more for the range.  However, it seems like the S18 may be better built (but that's debatable according to some videos) and less plastic parts to scrape or damage.  Also, there was a bearing issue in the early production models of the V11 and I haven't read/seen whether that's been resolved.  I'm pretty mechanically inclined so I feel confident I can repair or upgrade either wheel.  But for the money, I'd really like to know I'd have something with long-term quality.

So, if you own or have ridden either (or both) of these EUC's I'd love to hear your experience and recommendations.

Many Thanks!

• Like 1

I would say v11, but s18 is quite nice too, even if the suspension system is in my opinion much less responsive than the v11.  The s18 will only marginally absorb small road bumps, where the v11 feels much softer.

But v11 pedals are so high, hard to get used to. The s18  is also way lighter. But would say a pain to dismount and repair.

My two cents. 

Edited by Eric plam

OK, I broke down and just ordered a V11 from ewheels.com!  I really like the S18, and it may have a superior suspension set up, but I plan on cruising and the V11 looks like it does that great with comfort!  Also, I like the headlamp and taillamp on it, makes it look like a road machine.

• Like 3

Though the V8F is half the price, in stock, and just over 1/2 the weight of the V11...

...plus they're really reliable and owners love them...

(and they're available on the Private Sales (secondhand) forum for even less...)

• Like 2

On 2/18/2021 at 1:56 PM, WI_Hedgehog said:

Though the V8F is half the price, in stock, and just over 1/2 the weight of the V11...

...plus they're really reliable and owners love them...

(and they're available on the Private Sales (secondhand) forum for even less...)

Gotta have suspension!  I almost bought a used v10 instead of the v11 but it just seems like suspension will keep the wheel on the road and smooth out the ride.  That, and I really wanted a wheel I can grow into and be happy with long term.  

v11 is probably the lesser of two evils when it comes to suspension wheels. Be sure to polish up on your wheel inspection and building skills when you do finally get one. Being new to euc's, youll have no basis for compare and I'd imagine you will be happy with what you get. 'long term' isnt very long in the land of eucs. If the disease gets a hold of you, you'll find yourself with a stack of chargers and wheels to ponder over and maintain.  Now that theres so many of you guys in Raleigh area, try to not get caught being a hoodlum, or the state laws will come after me too. :eff01bbbfc:Enjoy while you can! Fun times and welcome to the forum!

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 1

Both the wheels have their downsides as they are both 1st generation wheels. I'm sure you can find all the info about issues on this forum. I personally started on a V8 and I still have it, it is a great all around wheel. I just taught my 15 year old daughter to ride it and she picked it up way faster than I did. I am currently riding(well not currently because it's cold and there is snow everywhere) an S18 and my only beef with it is the stock tire. But once you dial in the suspension according to your weight it rides so nice. I will say it is more of an off road wheel(once you ditch the stock tire) so if you are looking for a street wheel the V11 is probably a better choice for you. But if you can afford it I would buy a V8 or something similar to learn on, because you will drop it, crack the case mess up the pedals all those things while you are learning and the V11 from what I see online doesn't look very good at handling spills. The V8 on the other hand is like a little tank I beat that thing up on the trails and street for the last year and a half and it still just works everytime.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Boilerdog said:

Both the wheels have their downsides

They sure do. The amounts just aren’t even in the same ballpark.

But once you dial in the suspension according to your weight it rides so nice.

The difference to a non-suspension wheel is large. Have you by any chance tried a V11 that’s set for your riding weight?

the V11 from what I see online doesn't look very good at handling spills.

Are you referring to hsiang’s high speed crash into a steel bumper of a truck, or have you seen a number of V11’s breaking up from crashes? Mine has crashed and tumbled a good bit, and all they did was scratch the pedals and their brackets. The V11 takes crashes way better than the MSX for example.

To be fair, the S18 doesn’t seem to easily obliterate from crashes either, if we disregard the panels, mud flap and sidepads.

Edited by mrelwood
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, mrelwood said:

Only 2kg lighter. And I couldn’t turn nearly as tightly on the S18 as I can with the V11.

But the big issue in the S18 is the sticking suspension that KS still hasn’t been able to fix. Even the units that have been torn down and serviced to make the suspension more sensitive, either by the user or an EUC shop, have all been extremely stiff and the suspension only works in large bumps.

Add the sagging 3p battery, open structure for dust and debris to enter the headlight, falling panels with easily breaking attachment tabs, separating fender and sidepads, narrow pedals with a one time use spring, the crooked fender that drags into the shell and hits the shock unit, motor cable that requires a 3rd party cover, a lift handle that everybody hates to use, and ergonomics that don’t even fit the designer himself very well...

I definitely suggest skipping the S18 altogether.

I hate to admit it but all the above is correct (or at least not incorrect to a degree). That said, with all its noted faults, my S18 has also wormed it way into my heart as my fav wheel. I found out last year (1st year fwiw) that doing trails & other such shenanigans are what gives me the most pleasure & in this scenario, there is no better. 

As noted, its suspension works amazingly on large air jumps & the smallish slim profile makes it easier to muscle in tight spots at low speeds for technical trails. The transition from & thru differing terrains beats everything I've ever ridden. I seem to turn into a superhero on the S18 & best of all, my back & knees thank me profusely.

All that & I still haven't done any updates on the suspension & I likely won't for now. I'm scouting for a deal on a fox shok before taking it apart to do everything in 1 go. Meanwhile I'm considering a knobby tire (Duro507) to replace the stock slick. While my Tesla out powers it easily, I've haven't found a lack of hp esp in the dirt trail environment. I get 37miles with 20ish% showing & haven't found a need for more range with my type of riding.

I'm gonna diy some winglet type jump pads in time for riding season to enhance that aspect too. So if any here have similar needs as mine, the S18 (esp in its current batch 4/5 by spring) isn't a bad choice.

IMHO ofcos.

• Like 1

I'm not sure where to start @mrelwood  I was just speaking from my personal experience and things I have seen online. I have seen hisangs video and that was a pretty extreme outcome when he crashed for sure, but that's not the only one I have seen. I belong to a reddit euc group follow a bunch of instagram pages and a few other forums online, I just usually creep. I'm just not working atm so I thought I would engage. I'm sure the V11 is a great wheel and if I wanted a street suspension wheel that's definitely the one I would have picked. I come from a downhill mountain biking background and when I saw the first pics of the S18 I knew I had to have it. It just looks like a one wheeled downhill bike. I haven't had any of the issues that you referenced with my wheel, I'm not saying that no one has because lets be real it has had it's issues. But mine has been pretty solid and a 1000% upgrade from the V8 I was bombing trails with before. Like I said before my only beef is the rubber. I can see how someone that hasn't had any experience with suspension could get a little overwhelmed with figuring out the right pressure settings in upper chamber, lower chamber, making sure the rebound damper is set properly. To be perfectly honest the shock they put on it is pretty bottom of the barrel as far a quality goes, but it works and I'm going to use it until i pop it. Then I will probably replace it with a fox coil over oil set up. I have never really been a fan of air shocks I blew through three of them on my last downhill bike. No I have not ridden a V11, I don't even know anyone else who rides I live on a tiny island on the west coast of Canada. @Scottie888 fortnine has the Duro HF 307 2.75-14 in stock, I'm not fully convinced it will fit(without losing the fender) but some one, on this forum I think, has one and says they are going to try and fit it and keep me posted. I just bought a Pirelli Angel 80/80-14 from fortnine it should be here next week. It's a street tire for sure but another person on this forum put one on his S18 and said it was infinitely better than the stock tire so I'm taking his advice and running with that for now. Also I just found a person through instagram that makes 3D printed winglets. They aren't specifically for the S18 but he posted pics with someone that put them on theirs and they work. Look up sai pads on insta if you are interested. No it's not me.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Boilerdog said:

..fortnine has the Duro HF 307 2.75-14 in stock, I'm not fully convinced it will fit(without losing the fender) but some one, on this forum I think, has one and says they are going to try and fit it and keep me posted. I just bought a Pirelli Angel 80/80-14 from fortnine it should be here next week. It's a street tire for sure but another person on this forum put one on his S18 and said it was infinitely better than the stock tire so I'm taking his advice and running with that for now. Also I just found a person through instagram that makes 3D printed winglets. They aren't specifically for the S18 but he posted pics with someone that put them on theirs and they work. Look up sai pads on insta if you are interested. No it's not me.

Amusing & coincidentally, I ordered the Duro307 from fortnine just this morning. Figured $38 seems to be a decent deal for it & might's well get it now incase it goes OOS. Ya I'm a tad concerned about fit too but hey, I got a brand new dremel for that very purpose😁. My S18 is already royally beat down from my offroad shenanigans so it nothing to add a bit more fugliness.

Just googled the Pirelli you ordered & its seems to be a road slick. Kinda defeats the purpose of a tire swap no? Anyhoos I agree that the stock shyte slicks are pretty much useless so perhaps anything other is an upgrade🥴. I'll shoot you an update when I get it on.

I checked out the Sai Pads but there's also the Clark Pads that are specific for the S18. A hunk of change though @usd$149 + shipping. I've got a bunch of velcro tape coming & since I'm gonna be diy'ing yoga block pads for my other wheels, I'm gonna see if I can carve a winglet for it. 

29 minutes ago, Boilerdog said:

... I don't even know anyone else who rides I live on a tiny island on the west coast of Canada...

You forgot to add its also the loveliest lil' island in Canada with great fishing & even windsailing besides being the place to be if you're a connoisseur & botanist of the world's finest cannabis😵🤪

• Like 1

@Scottie888 Ya you are probably right I should have just ordered the Duro I also have a grinder...but pls let me know how it goes. You aren't wrong about the Pirelli it is a street tire for sure but it also doesn't have the 1-2cm slick right down the middle and I know for sure it fits. There are a few other enduro type tires that are confirmed to fit as well but I can't seem to find any that are available at in Canada atm so I settled for the Pirelli. I only mentioned the Sai Pads because they are cheaper than the clark pads and it looks like you can close your pedals with them on. Correct me if I'm wrong. But ya I'm a big fan of yoga mats funky duct tape and velcro. I made side pads for both my wheels. Also yes I wouldn't trade living here for anything. I have few botanist neighbors one of them is my riding and sailing buddy. He doesn't ride EUCs though he has a crazy fast mountain bike. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Scottie888 said:

with all its noted faults, my S18 has also wormed it way into my heart as my fav wheel.

This may come as a surprise out of my mouth, but if I had only tried the S18 and not the V11, the S18 would be my choice of wheel as well. Despite all it’s  issues. I sure would’ve made an art out of modifying it, but I’d probably be preaching all around about the pros of the suspension and other it’s features.

But since the S18 is not alone in the world of suspension EUCs, it gets compared to the V11. And that’s when the S18 falls, hard.

V11 has troublesome issues with the bearings and suspension wear. That’s it. Everything else is top notch, and compares favorably to any other EUC.

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, Boilerdog said:

Also yes I wouldn't trade living here for anything. I have few botanist neighbors one of them is my riding and sailing buddy. He doesn't ride EUCs though he has a crazy fast mountain bike. 

Yaa if there's work on the island, I'd seriously look into moving as well. Would be nice to be right beside forests to go ride daily. I've been looking into edirtbikes to supplement EUCs as well. Lets not kid ourselves, while EUCs can do some pretty gnarly stuff, its kiddie toy compared to emtb or better yet, edirtbikes. I watched a ton of vids on Surrons & similar & they frikkin' haul! Looks like a blast on the trails & no Man to impose restrictions. 

Hint:Btw there's likea receding 5" base on the front plastic on the S18 to easily fabricate a winglet or triangle block jump/power pads. I'm gonna mold it outta yoga blocks rather than do the layering as its much stronger.

12 minutes ago, mrelwood said:

This may come as a surprise out of my mouth, but if I had only tried the S18 and not the V11, the S18 would be my choice of wheel as well. Despite all it’s  issues. I sure would’ve made an art out of modifying it, but I’d probably be preaching all around about the pros of the suspension and other it’s features.

But since the S18 is not alone in the world of suspension EUCs, it gets compared to the V11. And that’s when the S18 falls, hard.

V11 has troublesome issues with the bearings and suspension wear. That’s it. Everything else is top notch, and compares favorably to any other EUC.

I've no doubt the V11 is the better allrounder wheel. Looks aside, the main thing that bothers me about the V11 is the crazy complicated time consuming disassemble/reassemble process. As we all know, a tube/tire repair/replacement is likely the most common & often maintenance most of us will perform on our wheels. While the S18 isn't as easy nor as quick as on the MSX, its seems a cakewalk vs the V11.

If GW/BG can get its act together, I'd go for the EX just for this aspect alone if/when I want a road suspension wheel. Hopefully by then, Veteran Sherman will come out with their version of suspension. Competition is the only to go.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, mrelwood said:

Don't worry, I tried it and you can save your $$. Grass is greener mentaility had me while it was in transit, but the reality set in VERY quickly once it hit my property. Maybe its because I already have plenty of REAL devices to consume my time in maintenance. Maybe its because I have a clue about how REAL suspension should work. Maybe its because Ima total idiot. I know that the LOOK of the s18 had me hooked. Too bad I didnt realize I could have printed a poster and had a more useable item that cost me far less. The v11 is now on my radar, but im in no hurry to buy into more devices with glaring faults. All that is left is to wait and see WHO tackles these obvious issues and releases a wheel that deserves a spot in my garage. For now, I have 3 winners to choose from and my knees are still doing their job. My suspension vehicle consumes gasoline, and has NONE of the bullshit glaring build issues we see on these 'suspension' eucs. I guess if i had never seen a proper suspension vehicle, my demands would be much lower.

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 1

Yes the S18 suspension could be a little smoother but that is easily resolved with some proper washers added to the linkage and lube in a few spots. Even if you dont want to modify, the suspension works fine as is. I blast through rough patches on trails that I wouldnt even attempt on a non suspension wheel. The v11 suspension design is fine on road but the lack of rebound damping is a huge con offroad. Plus as far as I know, the V11 hollow motor bearing issue hasn't been resolved yet. My S18 has been nothing but reliable and more fun than any other wheel. 

I really don't think the S18 and V11 are really competitors to the same degree a lot of folks make them out to be.  Or at least to the degree that most folks make them out to be.

Yes they both have suspension, both can ride off and on road decent enough.  but they clearly have different specialties.

They both borrow shock technology from MTBs.

S18 uses rear shock MTB linkage design

V11 uses fork shock design.

In my opinion:

If your main goal is off-road bliss, plan to look for super aggressive terrain.   I would go with the S18

If your main goal is super cush road riding, want enough range to keep up with your buds.  With a side of trail riding,  V11 is your thing

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Mitch G said:

Yes the S18 suspension could be a little smoother but that is easily resolved with some proper washers added to the linkage and lube in a few spots. Even if you dont want to modify, the suspension works fine as is. I blast through rough patches on trails that I wouldnt even attempt on a non suspension wheel. The v11 suspension design is fine on road but the lack of rebound damping is a huge con offroad. Plus as far as I know, the V11 hollow motor bearing issue hasn't been resolved yet. My S18 has been nothing but reliable and more fun than any other wheel. 

V11 has VERY good dampening, I would say on par with my high-end MTB forks.  Demo version of the v11 did not have dampening, but I believe all shipping models have, I know my wheel does [3rd batch]

3rd batch is also supposed to have the hollow bearing things better... I don't have the issue, not sure if anyone else 3rd batch has it as well.