Helmet Mirror Mod

19 minutes ago, AtlasP said:

Assuming the placement of the mirror is functional, then this looks 1000x better than most other mirror installations. I like it. Well done.

Yeah works great, it is up and to the left so does not affect vision too much.  Like Marty was saying on his channel, you are not going to get a lot of detail behind you, but enough to tell if you have a car or a rider on your butt.

Went to ride at night and doh!  Mounted mirror on same side as my spot light.  Going to add Velcro to other side of helmet for spot light.  Mirror was reflecting light right in my face LoL.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I used the power of 3D print and a spherical (anti-blind angle) mirror for cars. It gives a nice  almost 180 degrees view on my left side. Visibility into a distance behind me is poor, but I can still see cars early enough (daylights are mandatory here) and for 360 awareness this works better than the usual flat cyclist mirrors that I've had in my hands.

IMG_1634.jpeg

• Like 2

I tried using helmet mirror last year but found it blocking too much of your perspective (even the small ones can block things in situations where you really don't want it to) also when you look in the mirror you have to focus too much on it and lose perspective in front of you, I found a hand mounted mirror to be far better than a helmet mirror but with more experience riding I hardly use the hand mirror now I mostly just turn my head it's a much quicker operation.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Rawnei said:

I tried using helmet mirror last year but found it blocking too much of your perspective (even the small ones can block things in situations where you really don't want it to) also when you look in the mirror you have to focus too much on it and lose perspective in front of you, I found a hand mounted mirror to be far better than a helmet mirror but with more experience riding I hardly use the hand mirror now I mostly just turn my head it's a much quicker operation.

If you ride in an area where there is a lot of traffic and if you ride 90% carving, as I do, you should give  it another try, mate. It really improves your security and sense of safety, not having to look over your shoulder constantly or when you want to do a specific maneuver, sometimes as simple as turning left.

just my $0.02

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Paulo Mesquita said:

If you ride in an area where there is a lot of traffic and if you ride 90% carving, as I do, you should give  it another try, mate. It really improves your security and sense of safety, not having to look over your shoulder constantly or when you want to do a specific maneuver, sometimes as simple as turning left.

just my $0.02

It sounds like you have come a long way in a short time. I want to be like you when I grow up! :thumbup:

11 hours ago, Paulo Mesquita said:

just my $0.02

I agree, I just can't ride without a mirror, my mirror mount is up and to the left with the small pirate eye style patch mirror.  I close the other eye and can quickly gauge whats behind me.  without it, constantly looking over my shoulder for what's coming.

• Like 2

This is what I rock, very unobtrusive. 

Edit:  funy posted pic of my helmet mod... in my thread of... wait for it... my helmet mod haha.

IMG_20210206_210121.thumb.jpg.2debc446c217fc293e5755b4e72c7728.jpg

Edited by Rich Sam
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Rich Sam said:

I agree, I just can't ride without a mirror, my mirror mount is up and to the left with the small pirate eye style patch mirror.  I close the other eye and can quickly gauge whats behind me.  without it, constantly looking over my shoulder for what's coming.

Exactly 👍

• 4 weeks later...

I like the shape of the cookie cutter mirror most of the people seem to be using but feel uneasy with that long and stiff metal rod so close to my head in a potential crash. This is the mod I did, probably not the first to come up with the idea.

helmet1.thumb.jpg.0f35cedffb766eefdcabc44463cd7180.jpg

The Hirth joints in both the mirror end and the helmet end of the original assembly are relatively compatible with each other. I removed the rod entirely and attached the mirror directly to the helmet mount. The spring is there too so that the joint can still be rotated without tools if needed.

helmet2.thumb.jpg.dbd34cb04ad5100ae05c8b1e2d537bc3.jpg

These parts were not needed. I used gooey double sided tape to mount the mirror to the visor as the original velcro is on the wrong side of the mount considering this application.

helmet3.thumb.jpg.c86f343568cc35ccca0ffa073968eb4b.jpg

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, bASKOU said:

Interesting way to mount it. Not too much vibrations mounted like that ?

Absolutely zero vibrations. Different helmets might provide different results but the visors are quite rigid and human head has decent dampening by nature. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, vesmur said:

Absolutely zero vibrations. Different helmets might provide different results but the visors are quite rigid and human head has decent dampening by nature. 

Thanks, I'll try it when I receive my mirror.

I've tried quite a few helmet mirrors and this is my favorite. 

It's very well balanced, sturdy,, easy to adjust and the less intrusive to the street vision:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Bike-Bicycle-Cycling-Riding-Mirror-Helmet-Mount-Rearview-Rear-View-Adjustable-/193307441109?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286

2 hours ago, Paulo Mesquita said:

I've tried quite a few helmet mirrors and this is my favorite. 

It's very well balanced, sturdy,, easy to adjust and the less intrusive to the street vision:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Bike-Bicycle-Cycling-Riding-Mirror-Helmet-Mount-Rearview-Rear-View-Adjustable-/193307441109?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286

That is the same type of mirror I used in the mod above. The adjustability stays virtually same even after removing the rod as the ball joint is still there.

It’s a tiny mirror but the field of view is adequate when mounted close to the eye. I also appreciate that it’s straight and therefore does not make objects behind you smaller. 

4 hours ago, vesmur said:

That is the same type of mirror I used in the mod above. The adjustability stays virtually same even after removing the rod as the ball joint is still there.

It’s a tiny mirror but the field of view is adequate when mounted close to the eye. I also appreciate that it’s straight and therefore does not make objects behind you smaller. 

Yes it is the same. I mounted mine on the side of the helmet because I took off the frontal sun shade (same helmet) due to the strong wind gushes in my region. They make my head go all over the place. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have tried many, many different iterations of helmet mirrors and hand mirrors and in the end, quickly flicking my head to look behind me consistently proves to be the most reliable, safest method. For me.

46 minutes ago, r_713 said:

I have tried many, many different iterations of helmet mirrors and hand mirrors and in the end, quickly flicking my head to look behind me consistently proves to be the most reliable, safest method. For me.

I can't do without my mirror solution and although I wear glasses and have the eyesight of a 61 year old, I'm totally dependent on my helmet mirror. Particularly, because I ride carving all over the road 95% of the time. 

I placed my mirror's armon a lower left side of my helmet (8 o'clock). Works like a charm.