Help a 61 year old with a choice of his 1st EUC

16 minutes ago, Zopper said:

There you have a "completely normal" Kuji trying the acceleration of a new wheel.  Although I suggest you do not try it as ferociously as Kuji does. :D

Edit: the video from which I took the screen: https://youtu.be/HlPwe7TmsbE?t=248

Screenshot 2021-01-13 at 16.48.43.png

Yes, I've seen some videos with these speedsters. Impressive!!! I'm sure I'll never get to do that since there's no qhiropractor in the world that could put " me ol'bones togetha again"!!! 🤣🤣🤣🤣

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Paulo Mesquita said:

Yes, I've seen some videos with these speedsters. Impressive!!! I'm sure I'll never get to do that since there's no qhiropractor in the world that could put " me ol'bones togetha again"!!! 🤣🤣🤣🤣

One step at a time Mon Ami & you'll be amazed what you'll be doing after some time. Esp since you'll be doing what you enjoy. On my S18, I've taken to trails & some are extremely technical MTB stuff like a fish to water because its fun. You'll be amazed what you can do & how fast you can learn when you're having fun.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Scottie888 said:

One step at a time Mon Ami & you'll be amazed what you'll be doing after some time. Esp since you'll be doing what you enjoy. On my S18, I've taken to trails & some are extremely technical MTB stuff like a fish to water because its fun. You'll be amazed what you can do & how fast you can learn when you're having fun.

That is my expectation. Its a pity that Portugal is going for to General Covid confinement for a month and they allow solo outdoor sports... And I don't have my EUC... it would be great fun to learn while sitting at home... 

@Paulo Mesquita any timeline for when you'll get your wheel?

I'm 50 and learned how to ride last summer. I found it quite helpful to watch and study lots of beginner instructional videos on how to ride an EUC prior to getting mine. It's helpful to 'embody' yourself in the imagination of learning how to ride in advance of actually getting the wheel. Sorting out details ahead of time like the right technique for mounting the wheel, how to get going forward once your on etc. can be really helpful. I now use a 'skateboard' style launch nearly all the time, although it does require you to commit to the action.

The EUC was an excellent solo 'sport' to learn during covid restrictions. It brought me a lot of joy during a difficult time. I'm on the west coast of Canada and by March it will be riding season again.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, UniMe said:

I'm 50 and learned how to ride last summer. I found it quite helpful to watch and study lots of beginner instructional videos on how to ride an EUC prior to getting mine. It's helpful to 'embody' yourself in the imagination of learning how to ride in advance of actually getting the wheel. Sorting out details ahead of time like the right technique for mounting the wheel, how to get going forward once your on etc. can be really helpful. I now use a 'skateboard' style launch nearly all the time, although it does require you to commit to the action.

The EUC was an excellent solo 'sport' to learn during covid restrictions. It brought me a lot of joy during a difficult time. I'm on the west coast of Canada and by March it will be riding season again.

I expect to get my hands on mine by the end of February, best case scenario. MyEWheel's Sandra (great help) told me that Gotway was going to start producing the Tesla V3 by the went of this month. And it's about a month for shipping and delivery. So, I've been watching begginer videos and saving them for more recortes in the coming weeks. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, UniMe said:

Good points although I'm not sure how much help visualization of a technical physical skill helps the uninitiated. Regardless it doesn't hurt.

But you brought up an excellent suggestion perhaps unintended. @Paulo Mesquita since EUCs are at a shortage where you are, perhaps you might want to look at an electric skateboard as a supplement (for now) & IMO its complements EUCs very well. Esk8s are easy to find (new & used) & the gear involved are similar plus the physical attributes needed aren't too far distant from EUCs. IMO ofcos

FWIW I did indeed also get into esk8s on top of EUCs. IMO its a nice & fun supplement to wheels as I ride with a crew comprising of wheels & esk8s.  As a bonus the price of entry is much lower - I picked a very minty 6mth old esk8 for $250 just recently. Its easier to hop on & ride & IMO the fun factor isn't much less, if at all. It gets going at a good clip (40kph with my board) & carving is fun. I see lots of young un's doing sk8 tricks that I currently do not have the ballz to think, nevermind try. I enjoy it so much so I ordered a better board so I can go offroad (somewhat) as well. Btw esk8s can also be a darn fine form of exercise when one doesn't use power assist.

At the very least, it gets you out enjoying the sun & def better than staying home waiting for the postman. As usual YMMV

3 minutes ago, Scottie888 said:

Good points although I'm not sure how much help visualization of a technical physical skill helps the uninitiated

It's part of a broader set of learning principles related to embodied cognition and yes, it is possible to improve the rate of learning a new skill by visualizing and practicing it in your mind before attempting the movement or activity. It doesn't matter if you have experience with the activity or not. I used this strategy and was up and rolling within 30 minutes on the EUC, I've shared the concepts in other threads and others here have also endorsed the learning technique.

At the very least you have everthing memorized in terms of how to get on the wheel etc. If you're good at visualization, you'll likely learn faster as well.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, UniMe said:

It's part of a broader set of learning principles related to embodied cognition and yes, it is possible to improve the rate of learning a new skill by visualizing and practicing it in your mind before attempting the movement or activity. It doesn't matter if you have experience with the activity or not. I used this strategy and was up and rolling within 30 minutes on the EUC, I've shared the concepts in other threads and others here have also endorsed the learning technique.

At the very least you have everthing memorized in terms of how to get on the wheel etc. If you're good at visualization, you'll likely learn faster as well.

Makes sense to me...I guess😄. Being an ex motorcyclist with some track racing experience, visualization plays a huge part. But that's only when I have some knowledge of the track, the conditions & the bike itself. It's almost like playing Xbox on the same track using a similar machine. 

However if I didn't have any knowledge at all, I think I'd be lost with so much info without the requisite background & basics. FWIW I too watched quite a bit of YT vids on learning EUCs before getting on it. Much of what I thought & visualized was & should, didn't pan out. The only part I found useful was using a long wall to assist. 

But ofcos, that's just me. We're all different & you make some excellent points.

PS: where in the coast are you? I lived in Richmond GVA for some years til the winter wet doom & gloom got to me. Now I find myself wanting to be there again as EUCs are better suited for year round riding.

35 minutes ago, Scottie888 said:

Good points although I'm not sure how much help visualization of a technical physical skill helps the uninitiated. Regardless it doesn't hurt.

But you brought up an excellent suggestion perhaps unintended. @Paulo Mesquita since EUCs are at a shortage where you are, perhaps you might want to look at an electric skateboard as a supplement (for now) & IMO its complements EUCs very well. Esk8s are easy to find (new & used) & the gear involved are similar plus the physical attributes needed aren't too far distant from EUCs. IMO ofcos

FWIW I did indeed also get into esk8s on top of EUCs. IMO its a nice & fun supplement to wheels as I ride with a crew comprising of wheels & esk8s.  As a bonus the price of entry is much lower - I picked a very minty 6mth old esk8 for $250 just recently. Its easier to hop on & ride & IMO the fun factor isn't much less, if at all. It gets going at a good clip (40kph with my board) & carving is fun. I see lots of young un's doing sk8 tricks that I currently do not have the ballz to think, nevermind try. I enjoy it so much so I ordered a better board so I can go offroad (somewhat) as well. Btw esk8s can also be a darn fine form of exercise when one doesn't use power assist.

At the very least, it gets you out enjoying the sun & def better than staying home waiting for the postman. As usual YMMV

EUC's aren't in shortage here (although being in Portugal and wanting to buy from a credible European shop, I decided to buy from MyEWheel in Bulgaria), what isn't yet available in Europe is the Tesla V3. I could easily get a V2 very quickly. It just doesnt make sense to me to miss a much more evolved version, for just a slightly higher price. 

As for the esk8s, I hadn't thought of them yet. I confess I never was any good with regular, non electric ones..🤣🤣🤣🤣

8 minutes ago, Paulo Mesquita said:

I could easily get a V2 very quickly. It just doesnt make sense to me to miss a much more evolved version, for just a slightly higher price. 

Yes one would think so wouldn't we. At least it stands to reason a new iteration should be an improvement. However sometimes reality bites & the new hollow bore motor which in theory should be an upgrade but in reality, has been found to be somewhat controversial with some peculiar unexpected & unintended consequences. At least enough incidents to have some large discussions here.

End of the day, hollow bore motors/bearings may turn out to be the bee's knees or it may turn out to be an "improvement" that no one asked for & more importantly, no one needed as witnessed by the much hailed Veteran Sherman. FWIW the Tesla V1/V2 for all its faults, power & reliability wasn't any of it. So there's that.

20 minutes ago, Paulo Mesquita said:

As for the esk8s, I hadn't thought of them yet. I confess I never was any good with regular, non electric ones..🤣🤣🤣🤣

Hahaha yes if it weren't for the advent of the electric sk8, I too wouldn't have any interest at all. Suffice to say that I don't have any skateboard experience til I got on my 1st esk8board a few weeks ago. I'm glad to say I took to it like fish to water. Its fun as heck & can very inexpensive as well.

3 minutes ago, Scottie888 said:

Yes one would think so wouldn't we. At least it stands to reason a new iteration should be an improvement. However sometimes reality bites & the new hollow bore motor which in theory should be an upgrade but in reality, has been found to be somewhat controversial with some peculiar unexpected & unintended consequences. At least enough incidents to have some large discussions here.

End of the day, hollow bore motors/bearings may turn out to be the bee's knees or it may turn out to be an "improvement" that no one asked for & more importantly, no one needed as witnessed by the much hailed Veteran Sherman. FWIW the Tesla V1/V2 for all its faults, power & reliability wasn't any of it. So there's that.

Hahaha yes if it weren't for the advent of the electric sk8, I too wouldn't have any interest at all. Suffice to say that I don't have any skateboard experience til I got on my 1st esk8board a few weeks ago. I'm glad to say I took to it like fish to water. Its fun as heck & can very inexpensive as well.

Scottie, are you suggesting that maybe I should change my order and take the V2 instead of the V3? 

24 minutes ago, Paulo Mesquita said:

Scottie, are you suggesting that maybe I should change my order and take the V2 instead of the V3? 

Hah it would be great if I can answer that an iota of certainly. Sadly I can't. It's one of those going for the well proven known quantity or going with a superior spec wise great unknown.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Scottie888 said:

PS: where in the coast are you? I lived in Richmond GVA for some years til the winter wet doom & gloom got to me. Now I find myself wanting to be there again as EUCs are better suited for year round riding

I'm on the left coast :) in the warmest winter region in Canada, actually just a bit below the 49th parallel that defines most of our border. Surrounded by the pacific ocean on three sides we don't usually see more than a week of snow each winter. It can rain and blow like crazy, but there are always sunny days (like today) where the temperature in 7-10 degrees Celsius (45-50 f). By March everything is in bloom, from March 4-10 we have our annual 'flower count' where a bunch of bored folks wander around and estimate how many blooms there are in the city.

1 minute ago, UniMe said:

I'm on the left coast :) in the warmest winter region in Canada, actually just a bit below the 49th parallel that defines most of our border. Surrounded by the pacific ocean on three sides we don't usually see more than a week of snow each winter. It can rain and blow like crazy, but there are always sunny days (like today) where the temperature in 7-10 degrees Celsius (45-50 f). By March everything is in bloom, from March 4-10 we have our annual 'flower count' where a bunch of bored folks wander around and estimate how many blooms there are in the city.

Ahh so desu ka ne, Victoria seems fits that neck of the woods & though I've visited, I've never lived. It's very pretty indeed & likely the best place to be in Jan. 

You got it, I didn't pick up that you lived in Richmond. Many don't know this, but Vic gets about 30% less rain than the GVA and about the same percentage more sun. In the summer we're in the rain shadow of the Olympic Peninsula and it is pretty much semi-arid and we'll easily go 4-5 weeks with no rain at all.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Paulo Mesquita said:

Paulo I've been giving your dilemma some thought. If 40-50kms range fits into your needs (at least for the foreseeable future), perhaps its not a bad idea to consider the MCM5 V2. If max speed isn't your thing, then its not improbable to milk 50+kms from it. The MCM5 is powerful (~50kph topspd), climbs most if not all urban inclines, should easily haul your butt around with its 1500w motor, has a good trolley & is one of the lighter wheels out there. 

The V2's 2.5" wide tire makes for good handling, good comfort (many says it feels more like a 16" than 14" tire), has the clearance to ride curbs & is more capable offroad than the Tesla. It's value priced at <1k euro but best of all, its a proven product with no reliability nor durability (at least as far as GW shells go) issues. Indeed I picked it as my winter wheel to take on the harshest conditions we have.

You can also upgrade to an RS or whatever in the future should you want. & its more likely than not you will want. This hobby is a drug of sorts & ppl who says they'd be satisfied with their very 1st wheel maybe many (incl. me) but who fails & end up with multiple are even greater (incl. me🥴).

Edited by Scottie888
  • Like 1

I was unaware the v3 updated from v2 in so many areas. Since its track record is unknown, I withdrawl my previous reccomendation. Aside from not wanting to feel like more an ass(if you get a wheel and dont like it) I have no experience on either of the two. All i really know if.. you gotta get one, to get started. Don't let wottying about which this and that, stall you out too much. Eventually you gotta roll the dice with your $$ and noone else is gna cover the loss or steal your win. I think a decent 16-18" medium range wheel makes a great all rounder for a first wheel. If its of any consequence, Im not a die hard gotway enthusiast. However a wheel is a wheel and GW has many happy customers as well.

Edited by ShanesPlanet

10 hours ago, Ubute said:

Hi Paul, I'm 72 and just learning now. My advice is to learn to ride before you learn to mount. My old legs were not able to control the wheel after stepping on. I wasted a month and suffered some ankle damage trying to step on and go. Find a hand rail, or like me, install one in your carport or garage. Moving along a railing allows your feet and knees to strengthen and get used to holding the wheel. After 5 half-hour sessions, spread over a week I was able to ride 17m (the length of my railing) without touching except at the ends.

Now I know what it's like to ride, where my feet have to be, how to grip the wheel with my knees, how to move forwards and balance, it now makes sense to learn to step on and go. It's still hard, I'm still grabbing for my rail if it goes wrong, but today I several times successfully mounted, rode 17m and stepped off without touching the rail at all. I'm almost ready for the wild.

I really enjoyed your feedback and the confidence push you gave me. it's great to know someone 11 years older than me who did what I'm starting to do. It's very comforting111 as Einstein said once: when you stop learning yo start dying!!!

Knees and hip are some of the physical issues I am more afraid of, but nothing like a good exercise to take away the pain. That and Genkgo Biloba Tea. I just found out about this "dinossaur of teas" and it's keeping the sciatica pain away. That and the EUC might just be my cure!!!

Thanks again and please keep in touch. I would like to get more insights from you.

13 hours ago, ShanesPlanet said:

I was unaware the v3 updated from v2 in so many areas. Since its track record is unknown, I withdrawl my previous reccomendation. Aside from not wanting to feel like more an ass(if you get a wheel and dont like it) I have no experience on either of the two. All i really know if.. you gotta get one, to get started. Don't let wottying about which this and that, stall you out too much. Eventually you gotta roll the dice with your $$ and noone else is gna cover the loss or steal your win. I think a decent 16-18" medium range wheel makes a great all rounder for a first wheel. If its of any consequence, Im not a die hard gotway enthusiast. However a wheel is a wheel and GW has many happy customers as well.

Shane, I now have a new need from your expertise and the expertise of all the other very kind and more experienced members that have been adding their valuable input to my learning.

SO HERE'S THE CHALLENGE O WISE ONES:

I talked again today with Sandra at MyEWheel (poor Sandra putting up with my inqusition) and after checking some online reviews and some specs I put to her the question if the Kingsong KS 16X would be a good alternative to the Tesla V3.

SO HERE ARE THE PROS AND CONS:

IN FAVOR:

- they have it for immediate shipping (for the Tesla I have an almost 2 month wait...and there's a general covid confinement starting at 00H00 tonight...for an entire month in Portugal

- I can order tomorrow and have with me in a week!

- wider wheel, better balance

- stronger body/casing

- overall better equipped 

- very good parts

- easy DIY's (like the Tesla)

- more comfortable... great for my aging legs!

AGAINST

- I have to dish out an extra €300

- the pedals are higher - 18cm - don't know if that's going to be a problem for my learning curve...

...SO HERE IT IS....ALL INSIGHTS, OPINIONS AND EXPERENCES WILL BE VERY HELPFUL!!!

THANK YOU ALL FOR READING!

35 minutes ago, Planemo said:

The KS16X is still a very nice wheel. The only real benefit that the Tesla gives is better $ per Wh battery capacity.

The height of the pedals on the KS will be irrelevant after your first week or so of learning. Besides, if you learn on the 16X and then buy something with lower pedals you will find riding it is a piece of cake.

For an extra $300 and a much reduced waiting time, it would be a no brainer for me - get the KS.

You're welcome :)

Thanks mate. You're my first recommendation for the KS. More and more I'm tending to send MyE Wheels the extra 300€ 

7 minutes ago, Paulo Mesquita said:

Thanks mate. You're my first recommendation for the KS. More and more I'm tending to send MyE Wheels the extra 300€ 

Just a last input regarding the KS16X - it's inflating speed by about some 10 to 16 %.

So real maximum tiltback speed is not 50 km/h but more like low 4x km/h.

Form reports here some real 40 km/h limit seems to be a very recommendable limit overlean wise.

But if one can accept this, it seems to be a realy great wheel!

And the KS18XL - if you consider the 16x the 18Xl could be your choice, too?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Chriull said:

Just a last input regarding the KS16X - it's inflating speed by about some 10 to 16 %.

So real maximum tiltback speed is not 50 km/h but more like low 4x km/h.

Form reports here some real 40 km/h limit seems to be a very recommendable limit overlean wise.

But if one can accept this, it seems to be a realy great wheel!

And the KS18XL - if you consider the 16x the 18Xl could be your choice, too?

Thanks for the input. I think an 18" wheel would be a too big boot for my foot, both experience and investment wise. 

Can you give me some clarificatuon, please? I have no idea what " tilt back" speed means in this context od EUCs. Could you below understand? My English is OK but when it gets too technical in some market niches... I get lost. 😁😁😁

Just now, Paulo Mesquita said:

Thanks for the input. I think an 18" wheel would be a too big boot for my foot, both experience and investment wise. 

Can you give me some clarificatuon, please? I have no idea what " tilt back" speed means in this context od EUCs. Could you below understand? My English is OK but when it gets too technical in some market niches... I get lost. 😁😁😁

I meant "could you help me understand"