Help a 61 year old with a choice of his 1st EUC

Hi Paula from Italy.  In November I bought my V8f from Myewheel. Aren’t they just great! I couldn’t have been happier with the advice and service I had from them.  So, I’m also a ‘ senior’ rider at 67 years old. It took me a couple of days to free mount and ride after a fashion.  Like Shane, I learned on grass, as I have a reasonably flat and smoothish field. I’m glad I did as asphalt was really easy afterwards in comparison. After the grass, I found an empty truck park...thanks covid! And learned how to properly ride there...stops, starts, turns, figure of eights etc, before I hit the cycle paths. I hugely enjoy it, and I’m sure you will to.  

On 1/24/2021 at 6:42 PM, Nostris said:

Hi Paula from Italy.  In November I bought my V8f from Myewheel. Aren’t they just great! I couldn’t have been happier with the advice and service I had from them.  So, I’m also a ‘ senior’ rider at 67 years old. It took me a couple of days to free mount and ride after a fashion.  Like Shane, I learned on grass, as I have a reasonably flat and smoothish field. I’m glad I did as asphalt was really easy afterwards in comparison. After the grass, I found an empty truck park...thanks covid! And learned how to properly ride there...stops, starts, turns, figure of eights etc, before I hit the cycle paths. I hugely enjoy it, and I’m sure you will to.  

It's great to get feedback from the "oldies" :-D... it makes me feels safer about this decision...in the midst of the laughs and jokes that my family has been laying on me. I was trying to keep it a secret but they peeked into my browser history and now it's all a joke!!!

In the meantime I'm a bit frustrated because my KS EUC  is still on route from Bulgaria due to the Covid transportation chaos in Europe. I've been getting ankle guards, body guards, etc... but no wheel. Even the protective cover from the excellent team at roll.nz got to Portugal before everything else!!! Cmon... from NZ to Portugal gets here 1st and all the rest later??? Hurrah for the Kiwis!!!!

• Like 1

On 1/15/2021 at 10:51 AM, Paulo Mesquita said:

Now that the KS and the bodyguard are on the way....YUPIIIEEE!!!... I'm narrowing down protection for "me ol' body". Knee, elbow and hand protection is simple since its practically the same as the ones for rollerblading. However, I'm more worried about my butt!! I currently have lots of waist pain due sciatica (one of the reasons I want to get into this sport...so that I can work the muscles and flex)...so I've been looking at padded trousers for American Football and also a padded jersey... what are your 2 cents on this? 

Btw, I'm still checking the very important ankle protection. I assume that all the ankle pains and hurts here on the forum, are on the inner side bone when the pedals hit it, correct? The Achilles tendon and the outer side bone are quite safe?

Its almost here! Fun times ahead, fun times!

My $.2 on gear is:  If you are asking ME, you havent been around here long enough to know better. Im definitely in the im not wearing 'all the gear all the time' camp. I try to make sure I'm not riding naked, but thats only since the hippies began camping across the street. Wouldnt want them to come over for sausage or anything :)  The most important thing about gear for me is... comfort. If its uncomfotable or takes much effort to put it on, the battle has already been lost. I recently invested BIG on a motorcycle suit, but honestly was looking at one for yrs before even knowing wtf an euc is. Its not overkill if i have a bike also. So far my biggest 'injuries' have been basic bruising on the leg from the pads themselves. See, the trick is..... don't fall off and you won't need pads. Of course, sustainable utopia is probably more likely. Vote Shanesplanet 2024!

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 1

On 1/26/2021 at 8:25 AM, Paulo Mesquita said:

It's great to get feedback from the "oldies" :-D... it makes me feels safer about this decision...in the midst of the laughs and jokes that my family has been laying on me. I was trying to keep it a secret but they peeked into my browser history and now it's all a joke!!!

In the meantime I'm a bit frustrated because my KS EUC  is still on route from Bulgaria due to the Covid transportation chaos in Europe. I've been getting ankle guards, body guards, etc... but no wheel. Even the protective cover from the excellent team at roll.nz got to Portugal before everything else!!! Cmon... from NZ to Portugal gets here 1st and all the rest later??? Hurrah for the Kiwis!!!!

I also started out in a grassy field and then graduated to a parking lot although I also did some early 'touring' of our quiet residential streets where I live (lots of dead end roads, little or no traffic). Grass is actually more difficult to ride on than pavement so once you have mastered some basic moves on grass moving over to pavement will feel easier and you'll be able to ride further before tiring out.

@Marty Backe has a couple videos on gear, he's also an older rider. He has some reasonable recommendations for minimum requirements. Although the title is All Gear All The Time, this isn't what the video is about. It's about the MINIMUM requirements to keep you safe, Marty sometimes rides with full body armor etc.

• Like 1

On 1/26/2021 at 8:26 AM, Paulo Mesquita said:

The KS is already in Portugal!!!! Can't wait!!!! :clap3:

Here's an inspirational video of Chooch riding a 16x. This was the final straw that led me to buy an EUC, I'm thinking he's probably listening to the sound track as he rides as many of the carves and movements he does seem to be in sync. Enjoy!

I also claimed to 'not be interested in speed' when I was first learning. That changed about 2 months after I got the wheel and had acquired some riding skill :)

• Like 2

On 1/27/2021 at 5:04 PM, UniMe said:

I also started out in a grassy field and then graduated to a parking lot although I also did some early 'touring' of our quiet residential streets where I live (lots of dead end roads, little or no traffic). Grass is actually more difficult to ride on than pavement so once you have mastered some basic moves on grass moving over to pavement will feel easier and you'll be able to ride further before tiring out.

I have the two options right outside my door: Grass and a big pateo. So I'll be going with the one that makes me feel safer and more comfortable. I have all the gear (just waiting for padded shorts...sensitive tailbone)

I have:

Helmet -  wrist guards - knee guards-elbow guards - body armor (not sure I'll use it) and, mos importantly...ultra light very well ankle padded motorcycle boots and also  an extra inside protective ankle neck thingy I got from a seller from Lithuania on EBAY...it has 3 little extra pads that will cushion any impact on the ankle  besides the boots.

Edited by Paulo Mesquita

Yes they are heavy! Congratulations.

Remember the wheel motor will try to spin to correct any angle, so it coule have spun when powered on in the foam. This is why the handle will cut the motor when you lift it, or it will free spin. This is a bit stressful first time you encounter it, but no worry, once reached max speed it will stop. Also: since the handle will cut the motor, dont use it to grab on when at stand still, it might cut. If you feel you need it to hold while standing on the wheel, deactivate the "lift handle" function.

I'd say patio with good protection, grass is difficult as it is so bumpy.

Have fun and some patience :) 

16 minutes ago, Paulo Mesquita said:

and the beast finally arrived!!! The shipping company guy was huffing and puffing bringing the box. Then I picked it up...and I huffed and puffed. HEAVY BEAST!!!!

ks1.jpeg

ks2.jpeg

Lookin good, should be lotsa fun! Heavy my ass, the Sherman should require a doctors note before lifting. My delivery guy rolled my box off the truck, end over end. What color Cover you get for it? Grass or patio, whatever has less shit to run into. I did grass, as tumbling the one time made it obvious a good choice. I've moved on to gravel tumbling nowadays. :) Remember to charge it, calibrate it, and avoid the KS app like the plague. Wouldnt hurt to check tire pressure as well, maybe check for runout too.

Edited by ShanesPlanet

1 hour ago, ShanesPlanet said:

Lookin good, should be lotsa fun! Heavy my ass, the Sherman should require a doctors note before lifting. My delivery guy rolled my box off the truck, end over end. What color Cover you get for it? Grass or patio, whatever has less shit to run into. I did grass, as tumbling the one time made it obvious a good choice. I've moved on to gravel tumbling nowadays. :) Remember to charge it, calibrate it, and avoid the KS app like the plague. Wouldnt hurt to check tire pressure as well, maybe check for runout too.

Shane, I chose the Roll.nz  black cover.

I HAVE TONS OF QUESTIONS, so if anyone cares to lend me some of their time I'd really appreciate it.

1 - I just checked the KS app and I don't intend to use it, per your advice. However it has a lock/unlock button that I can't find on my EUC World app. Can I lock and unlock the wheel  with the EUCW app?

2 - How the heck do I know if it's calibrated? I did the vertical (used a digital bubble to make sure it was vertical) stand on/off calibration sequence and since I'm totally deaf to treble sounds, the wife helped and said it hear the 4 small beeps and a the fifth long one.  So can I assume it's well calibrated?

3 - Now...a very stupid question (more than the others)....how do I know it's on and ready for me to stand on? I've walked around the living room with it with the handle (I know its off when the handle is out)  just to get the hang of it's weight while walking...but I didn't dare stand on it? SO:::what is the major sign that the beast is ready for my 1st rodeo?

4) The package came with a powerful charger with a USB terminal. I assume I can only use this one to charge the KS. However I see 4 USB ports on the wheel (two front and two rear) where the hell do I charge it. Front or back? The bloody manual is quite weak in explanations....

5) This is a secondary question. I have some excellent BT earplugs from Jabra ( IMHO the best on the market). Can I hear the warning beeps with them  (remember I'm deaf to treble and high pitch sounds...like beeps on EUC's)? 

6) Another secondary question: music... Can I hear my jack Johnson, Ben harper, etc... on the earbuds or wheel speakers. If on the wheel speakers...how the heck do I connect my smartphone playlist to the KS?

Sorry about bothering you guys with all this but it's a bit difficult to assimilate all the menus on the EUCW app, and all the beeps. plus...and most important...understand when the beast is awake, calibrated and ready to kick me off it once I step on....

BESIDES THAT...I'M TOTALLY EXCITED LIKE A 10 YEAR OLD!!!...WITH THE BONES OF A 61 YEAR OLD....

Thanks for reading for being so kind and helpful since I joined this great group.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Paulo Mesquita said:

3 - Now...a very stupid question (more than the others)....how do I know it's on and ready for me to stand on? I've walked around the living room with it with the handle (I know its off when the handle is out)  just to get the hang of it's weight while walking...but I didn't dare stand on it? SO:::what is the major sign that the beast is ready for my 1st rodeo?

4) The package came with a powerful charger with a USB terminal. I assume I can only use this one to charge the KS. However I see 4 USB ports on the wheel (two front and two rear) where the hell do I charge it. Front or back? The bloody manual is quite weak in explanations...

I want to try to address the 'stupid' question, because either you've already figured it out by now, or something is not quite 'right'.

When you turn the wheel on (assuming it is unlocked), then it should balance and remain upright while you walk it around. This becomes obvious when you turn it off and it no longer balances... Not balancing means it wants to fall either forward or backward and not maintain level. (It will feel limp and you can easily move the handle 180 degrees along the wheel axis.)

A better explanation might be: you should be able to tell the difference (on vs. off). If not, then I think your wheel might still be locked. (It's that obvious.)

BTW: The charging terminals look like USB but they are not. (This will also become obvious since the plugs are actually different and not compatible.)

Edited by RayRay
  • Like 1

I'm fairly certain that eucw has same functionality and more than Ksapp, including locking. You just have to make sure the wheel is connected. I do believe the password field can be left blank by default. TO connect in eucw, you hit the little BT icon top left corner to begin searching. Hit the green dot or watch it become lit and the wheel also says "connected" iirc. Your music is on another BT module indepent of alarms and settings. YOu will connect this with your app of choice, as you always would. Just runa check for bt devices and KS should show up. 3 beeps and a long beep means its calibrated. Done and done. The speakers get pretty loud. I LOVE mine for liesure rides. Speed beeps are easy for me to hear at speed, but music fighting 25mph wind noise is tough.  If you can trolly it around the room with out hassle and it tries to stay upright.. get naked, go outside and jump on for your voyage ride. Remember to set down the beer, and tell the wife to 'watch this'.:eff034a94a:

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 1

1- you can use either app. Just find and press a padlock.

2- it is calibrated from factory, and calibration rarely has to be redone. No need to do it if no good reason.

3- if it stays vertical then it is balancing, the only other mode if off, where it tilts front back loosely like any wheel.

4- like @rayray says. Different plugs, you can’t go wrong.

5- you can’t use external audio for EUC messages, however you can rely on tilt-back which is when the EUC tilts slightly backward to get you to slow down. (You will experience it soon enough)

6- The EUC shows as a BT speaker when powered on, and  can be used the same way.

The EUC is always ready or off. The only exceptions are

- transport lock (padlock icon) and

- when pulling the handle at stand still: don’t do that when you stand on it, as it cuts the motor.

Edited by null
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, RayRay said:

When you turn the wheel on (assuming it is unlocked), then it should balance and remain upright while you walk it around. This becomes obvious when you turn it off and it no longer balances... Not balancing means it wants to fall either forward or backward and not maintain level. (It will feel limp and you can easily move the handle 180 degrees along the wheel axis.) 

BTW: The charging terminals look like USB but they are not. (This will also become obvious since the plugs are actually different and not compatible.)

Got it. When on the wheel doesn't fall forward or backwards. It does go on quickly with the EUCW app. No need for the KS app.

The two rear connectors are quite different now that I looked better (was too excited at first to think like a proper adult....). These two rear sockets seem to have something to do with an extra that was on the side: TWO LITTLE FUSES?!. ARE THEY TO BE CONNECTED THERE...OR SOMEWHERE ELSE? And what are these fuses for and why were they not mounted on the EUC? Any idea from the more experienced ones?

2 hours ago, null said:

1- you can use either app. Just find and press a padlock.

2- it is calibrated from factory, and calibration rarely has to be redone. No need to do it if no good reason.

3- if it stays vertical then it is balancing, the only other mode if off, where it tilts front back loosely like any wheel.

4- like @rayray says. Different plugs, you can’t go wrong.

5- you can’t use external audio for EUC messages, however you can rely on tilt-back which is when the EUC tilts slightly backward to get you to slow down. (You will experience it soon enough)

6- The EUC shows as a BT speaker when powered on, and  can be used the same way.

The EUC is always ready or off. The only exceptions are

- transport lock (padlock icon) and

- when pulling the handle at stand still: don’t do that when you stand on it, as it cuts the motor.

Got it all, thanks.

One self idiot confession. At 1st, when I connected the wheel in my living room...the handle was up...I was just to happy walking it around like a trolley.... Only now, after reading these last posts I figured out why it tilted forward and back. Handle down and its on...got it.!!! 

2 hours ago, ShanesPlanet said:

I do believe the password field can be left blank by default.

Your music is on another BT module indepent of alarms and settings. YOu will connect this with your app of choice, as you always would. Just runa check for bt devices and KS should show up.

.... get naked, go outside and jump on for your voyage ride. Remember to set down the beer, and tell the wife to 'watch this'.:eff034a94a:

Yes, the password filed will be left blank...enough passwords in my life...

Thanks for the music explanation, It is essentially like connecting any other bluetooth speaker...

as for the naked, beer and wife witnessing all that...I think I'd be in the dog house for a veeeery long time :D:D

One thing that intrigues me: although the EUC, when on, is kept balanced with the gyroscope not letting it tilt forward or backwards, I was expecting that it would also offer some resistance in not letting the EUC feel so loose and falling to the sides quite naturally.

Is this how its supposed to be? The gyro only prevents tilts to front and rear and not at at all to the side?

cheers and thanks for lesson # 7

• Like 1

the tire only has a front/back direction of travel. You would have to be on a multi-axis ball with motors in more than one direction, for it to assist in more than one plane of balance. Or some other complex method. The euc is simply a tire with a motor that can roll forwards and backwards. Its not a complex device, so you have to think in non-complex terms. The euc IS the gyroscope.

2 usb connectors are for charging devices FROM your wheel and also to play music from a usb stick.

2 yellow Lenova connectors are for charging the wheel itself. Pretty obvious as they fit the charger you got.

Spare fuses for if you ever pop them. THey go inside the wheel and I've never had to replace one yet.

*multi-quoting is possible in posts. Just hit the quote button for each post you want. It should add up in a little button for you to hit and itll insert into your posts in the order you first selected each quote. However, best not quite me on that:ph34r:

Edited by ShanesPlanet

1 hour ago, Paulo Mesquita said:

One thing that intrigues me: although the EUC, when on, is kept balanced with the gyroscope not letting it tilt forward or backwards, I was expecting that it would also offer some resistance in not letting the EUC feel so loose and falling to the sides quite naturally.

Is this how its supposed to be? The gyro only prevents tilts to front and rear and not at at all to the side?

cheers and thanks for lesson # 7

You're getting there! It was also a really strange thing for me at first, made weirder because the very first wheel I got arrived dead and wouldn't balance. When they balance it's like the wheel has a life of its own.

Here's the deal, the wheel balances itself forwards and backwards and will turn the wheel as fast as necessary to ensure the balance is maintained. This is what creates the acceleration to move you forward and also allows you to lean back and have the wheel stop.

The side to side balancing is more complex and is largely dependent on the gyroscope forces of the wheel and motor. It's sort of like the self balancing part is the front wheel on a bike but the side to side part still requires you to get the bike moving forward at a good pace so the wheels want to stay vertical and not fall over.

Because the gyroscope forces are so important you really need to commit to the wheel at first in order to gain at least 7-10 kilometers per hour in order for the wheel to start stabilizing. For a tentative rider (insert my wifie here, yes some will even try it out) this can be the most difficult part as it's a really unusual experience and feels a little bit insane when you first try it.

With a lot of practice you can sort of 'track stand' like you would on a bike by shifting your weight back and forth, but this is a really advanced skill that I'm no where near being able to do yet.

When the wheel is “on” the LED lighting also turns on. Once it is on, it stays on and balancing with the handle in or out, that’s why it was easy to walk around. Extending the trolley handle doesn’t turn it off.

But if you lift it by the trolley handle the motor will disengage as long as there is weight on the handle. This is so the wheel doesn’t spin when you’re lifting it. Set it down on its wheel and everything renegades and the wheel balances front to back.

If you have a stand, make sure you turn the wheel off (long press the front button below the headlight) before you put it in the stand because if you leave it on, the wheel will spin to its max speed as soon as you let go of the trolley handle. It will stop by itself in a few seconds (over speed safety) but it’s a lot scary if you’re not expecting it.

If you can’t hear the beeps, EUC World will vibrate your phone for alarms (going too fast, battery low etc), and you can consider a watch accessory so your wrist vibrates.

There’s tons of ways to part with your cash buying doodads once you get going, but for now you just need to steel your nerve, put your super stubborn face on, and conquer the beast. 30 minutes a session (your muscles need to get in shape).

8 hours ago, ShanesPlanet said:

2 yellow Lenova connectors are for charging the wheel itself. Pretty obvious as they fit the charger you got.

Spare fuses for if you ever pop them. THey go inside the wheel and I've never had to replace one yet.

Yes, the yellow Lenova connectors...I saw the charger and thought it was a USB....too excited at that time :rolleyes:.

About the fuses...what are they for?

4 hours ago, Tawpie said:

If you can’t hear the beeps, EUC World will vibrate your phone for alarms (going too fast, battery low etc), and you can consider a watch accessory so your wrist vibrates.

I have an advanced Huawei Smartwatch (even tells me when I'm in REM sleep... I'll get it programmed to vibrate with the beeps, Good tip, thanks.

For now I only have the wheel standing on the Styrofoam that came in the box. I did turn it on and off a few times last night, while on that makeshift stand,«, but it didn't run off, thank God.!