King Song S18 leans heavily to the left leg

Grandpa 1947

My brand new S18 leans heavily into my left leg. I am getting no resolutions for this. Has ANYONE had this? I've raised the pedal on the right side, thinking by putting more pressure on that pedal it might make the wheel more upright. It isn't leaning just a little bit, it puts way too much pressure on my left leg and of course wants to steer to the left. I have over 4,000 miles on my 18XL so I am not a novice. I have ridden it nearly thirty miles. Yes, I can ride it but it should not be like this. Any ideas?

Are the angles of the pedals the same?  Not backward or forward tilt, I mean pitch.  I would think if the pedal angle was different it would lean to one side when standing on both pedals.

My S18 also rides against my left leg.  In my case it has to do with how the rim/motor is centered on the vertical plane.  On my S18 the tire sits closer to the Right side of the wheel - R side if looking the same direction as headlight, like when riding - or the L side when facing the wheel.

I'm not sure, but I think it's a dual issue in my case.  I think the rim/motor is to the right side, but I think it may also be at a very slight angle (lean).  It is my understanding these issues can be fixed with shims, centering the axle where it sits - but I have not attempted this repair yet.

No idea if your S18 has this same issue - but I fully admit, I rode my S18 a while before noticing the lack of symmetry - then once I noticed it, it was really pretty obvious.  My fender is also tweaked, so this photo makes the issue look worse than it actually is - but clearly the tire sits closer to one side than the other (and the tire spins clean, without any wobble).

I did send my S18 back to eWheels to be serviced, but honestly - I couldn't tell much of a difference when I got it back, and the problem is as bad now as ever, including an annoying tire rub.  Whatever fix occurred did not last very long, and the wheel settled back into the same shape it was when it arrived, new.

I haven't been in a hurry to fix the issue(s) myself, because my wheel does work, despite issues.  I completely understand the frustration of a new S18, that feels less than new - but interestingly, I ride my S18 a lot, and generally enjoy it when I do

S18 tire fender issue.jpg

That can be fixed with shims but it is not as simple as some might think. Adding shims to one side of the EUC doesn’t really do anything. You have to add shims to change the angle that the axle sits in the Clamp. So you add shims to one side of both clamps. ( right or left of the clap itself) The goal is the change the axle angle in the fork  If you ad a shin to all of one side the suspension compensates for the shim.  To be clear, if you add enough shims to one side it will eventually fix the problem but we are talking about shims that are millimeters thick rather than 0.02 mm thick. 

Edited by RockyTop
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, RockyTop said:

That can be fixed with shims but it is not as simple as some might think. Adding shims to one side of the EUC doesn’t really do anything. You have to add shims to change the angle that the axle sits in the Clamp. So you add shims to one side of both clamps. ( right or left of the clap itself) The goal is the change the axle angle in the fork  If you ad a shin to all of one side the suspension compensates for the shim.  To be clear, if you add enough shims to one side it will eventually fix the problem but we are talking about shims that are millimeters thick rather than 0.02 mm thick. 

if there is a video of the S18 motor/rim being shimmed into center - I'd be interested in watching it.  I think I've read two or three explanations, and I understand what you are saying, but some video would really help clarify the process

• Like 1

On 1/7/2021 at 10:38 AM, Paradox said:

Are the angles of the pedals the same?  Not backward or forward tilt, I mean pitch.  I would think if the pedal angle was different it would lean to one side when standing on both pedals.

Yes, the pedal angles seem correct. Thanks

• 4 months later...

You can try by putting those shims all the way in, it might help to center the wheel body angle just enough..but pls becareful not to accidently resting the shims to the side of the axle even just the tip of it, it will get you crazy wobbles..

• 4 weeks later...

Just saw this post & ya, I do find my S18 imparts more pressure on the left knee/leg than I'd like. Esp since I've a bum left knee after meniscus removal arthroscopic surgery years ago.

That said, I found that adjusting my riding technique helped to either solve or at least, alleviate this condition to a major degree. So much so that its not an issue for me at all. But as usual in these kinda things, its always a YMMV

This is interesting. I too felt the wheel leaned to the left side a bit. I assumed it was my stance. Or road camber. The wheel seems well centered though. Have about 130 mi. on it now, and that tendency doesn’t seem as pronounced.

Huh. I too feel more pressure on my left leg.
So I ride with a strip of foam to the inside of my knee pad.
I took a couple of hard hits to the upper shin there, when I was first learning and it’s only been a few months, so I just figured it’s slow to heal when riding every day. 

I think I’ve adapted to it. ;}  

Try calibrating. If your calibration is set forward you will dip forward as you turn left and naturally compensate with your left leg. That will carry over to riding straight. If you calibrate to center and still feel pressure on your left leg try a little back calibration. 
Also you might put a few miles in medium riding mode until you get accustomed to the way it handles.

On 1/7/2021 at 6:19 PM, Grandpa 1947 said:
My brand new S18 leans heavily into my left leg. I am getting no resolutions for this. Has ANYONE had this? I've raised the pedal on the right side, thinking by putting more pressure on that pedal it might make the wheel more upright. It isn't leaning just a little bit, it puts way too much pressure on my left leg and of course wants to steer to the left. I have over 4,000 miles on my 18XL so I am not a novice. I have ridden it nearly thirty miles. Yes, I can ride it but it should not be like this. Any ideas?

mine was leaning on the right leg, and it was due to the wheel not being paralel to the sliders.

You can understand if this is your case by checking if it behaives simmilar on a left and a right turn. If turning left/right is easyer, and the other side requires more effort, the maybe you need to shim the wheel. 

another way to understand that the wheel is not parallel to the sliders, is that you will feel instability when you use the suspension, especialy when going over bumps, as the wheel and the sliders will be moving at an angle. 

changing hight on one side of the pedals on the s18 will not help, the suspension will compensate and you will end up with more force applied to one joint, make sure they are completely straight.

Edited by enaon

2 hours ago, enaon said:

changing hight on one side of the pedals on the s18 will not help, the suspension will compensate and you will end up with more force applied to one joint, make sure they are completely straight.

there really needs to be a video showing exactly how to properly shim the S18 tire to proper angle/position.

Have you tried turning the wheel 180° and riding it 'backwards' have any effect??? Mine 'leans' more the right...but this could be more my balance and foot location...

Edited by MetricUSA

Riding on the side of the road with traffic is the only time I notice mine leaning a bit, and I always chalked it up to camber.

On 6/15/2021 at 11:27 PM, OldFartRides said:

This is interesting. I too felt the wheel leaned to the left side a bit. I assumed it was my stance. Or road camber. The wheel seems well centered though. Have about 130 mi. on it now, and that tendency doesn’t seem as pronounced.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

My new s18 was leaning to the left also, but the wheel was actually steering it to the right making it lean to the left. I had to lay EUC on its left side with two steel rods about 1/2” thick and 18” long. I braced the left slider with rod against a curb, then hit with a sledgehammer the other rod against the right slider. It tweaked the forks so the axle was straight. No lean now

• Like 1

On 1/7/2021 at 6:19 PM, Grandpa 1947 said:

There's a tube/sleeve over the axle on each side of the motor/wheel. It can be a bit longer and get overlapped by the plate holding the axle (via four big screws). Check it out.

Edited by Aztek

• 6 months later...

My S18 also leans heavy to the left side. I tried shimming, now it sits with 3 shims one one side and none on the other. Issue is still there.
What else could I try?

Brand new Kingsong S18.

I think the issue is with the fork, as I changed the motor, together with the axle naturally. The old one was also new, and was leaning to the left side too. 

We had so much issues with this wheel, we really rogeting buying it

Wow, I read through your posts and it seems you have had more than your fair share of problems with your wheels.

I recall my s18 leaning to one side when it was new. I figured it was me. Since it was less noticeable when carving I ignored it and rode the first season. Over the winter, I tore it down to the frame, worked on getting the suspension linkages in good working order, and put a new tire on.

When reassembling, it sat nicely upside down on the desk. It took many hours to get the axle sitting straight and level between the slider castings and the clamp plates without the factory shims. 
I showed the frame / suspension assembly to a machinist friend, and his comment was “ there’s a lot going on there”.

I apologize for this long winded reply, but there is no easy answer for this. 

The short answer is : The wheel should be straight within the frame, the axle should fit squarely on the slider castings, and the suspension should slide smoothly through the full length of travel. To accomplish these requires much time and effort and hair pulling.

Its very sad to spend so much hard earned money, and have to then “fix” all the problems with it.

There are long threads here all about fixing the s18. 

My advice : ride, carve, then fix it next winter.

Best,