Gotway MCM5 Battery level

Xthrax

Hello, new to the form and to ECUs. I got got a gotway MCM5, seem pretty simple but I cant figure out how to tell what the battery level is. I did not see where it mentioned it in the manual I received. Can someone answer this for me?

Use the Gotway app or EUC World on your  android smartphone.

Edited by Paradox
  • Like 1

you can also change the LED light pattern to where it uses the front 8 dots to give you a battery indicator (cycle the power button multiple times to switch modes) 

The range on this wheel is so poor I just assume i’m getting 15 miles max on it before it’s dead. 

2 hours ago, Ben Kim said:

you can also change the LED light pattern to where it uses the front 8 dots to give you a battery indicator (cycle the power button multiple times to switch modes) 

The range on this wheel is so poor I just assume i’m getting 15 miles max on it before it’s dead. 

Dang, according to EUC world, I rode mine on a warm day 16 miles and had an indicated 38% battery remaining, at the time, I was 210 lbs, BUT, it was mostly flat ground but did hit 22-24mph on a few occasions, maybe something is off on mine, I've said before, 24mph indicated on mine sure doesn't feel like 24, more like 18-20 so that might be it. 

9 minutes ago, RetroThruster said:

Dang, according to EUC world, I rode mine on a warm day 16 miles and had an indicated 38% battery remaining, at the time, I was 210 lbs, BUT, it was mostly flat ground but did hit 22-24mph on a few occasions, maybe something is off on mine, I've said before, 24mph indicated on mine sure doesn't feel like 24, more like 18-20 so that might be it. 

i GPS compared it, you’re not imagining things, it’s about 5% too high compared to actual speed. 

I normally peg the beeps at 28-29 mph non stop, so my 15 mile estimate probably won’t apply to you. In this cold though, the beeps start at 25-26 so it’s even worse, and I already cut out once (almost twice) in the cold. :)

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Ben Kim said:

i GPS compared it, you’re not imagining things, it’s about 5% too high compared to actual speed. 

I normally peg the beeps at 28-29 mph non stop, so my 15 mile estimate probably won’t apply to you. In this cold though, the beeps start at 25-26 so it’s even worse, and I already cut out once (almost twice) in the cold. :)

Ahh, your average speed is way higher than mine, my average was like 12'ish (you can laugh):/

• 2 weeks later...

On mine at a slow 12mph ave on flat ground, not accel too quick (basically hyper mile style like a car) I've taken 30 mile rides. 185lb riding weight and 50 psi in the tire.

Riding the way I like to with 32psi in the tire gives about 15 miles 

The mcm5 is still my fav wheel for running errands around town. 

By the way guys, I recently had to fix a flat in my wheel. It has been a journey to get it all done, but now my wheel does not seem to know what to do when it starts up.

I press the power while on its back then stand it up right and I hear a stuttering sound in the motor like its try to adjust something and then it turns off. Starting to wonder If I plugged something in wrong.  Anyone else encounter this or know of a startup procedure when a battery is reconnected?

• 1 month later...

After an update to my EUC World app, it looks like all my previous EUC alarm settings on my MCM5 V2 were reset.

A bit annoying, as I had gotten to the point where I trusted the previous settings as they were.

I was wondering what settings others were using for the MCM5 V2...  of course, I am looking for the fastest speed with a reasonable safety margin. I have been riding for 5 years and am used to both slower (Ninebot E+) and faster (Gotway Nikola 100V) wheels. I've been able to ride through brown-out type of cutouts on other wheels, but I prefer not to do that if at all possible. LOL!

That being said, I was wondering the following:

1. The MCM V5 seems to have conflicting information about its top speed, with some sources saying the top speed is 25mph, and others saying it is up to 35mph. I weigh 205 lbs, so I always assumed the lower of those two. What is the consensus on this?
  2. Do you guys assign settings for a voltage alarm? If so what settings do you use?
  3. Does anyone use the battery level dependent alarms?

Anyway, thanks a lot in advance! Just trying to stay safe while maximizing the fun.

• Like 1

On 2/9/2021 at 10:47 AM, LorenW said:

1. The MCM V5 seems to have conflicting information about its top speed, with some sources saying the top speed is 25mph, and others saying it is up to 35mph. I weigh 205 lbs, so I always assumed the lower of those two. What is the consensus on this?
  2. Do you guys assign settings for a voltage alarm? If so what settings do you use?
  3. Does anyone use the battery level dependent alarms?

1. 35mph sounds more like the no load over speed cutoff limit. This is the hard limit that the wheel has that will turn off when you do  a lift test, where you lift the wheel up without pushing the lift button and see how fast it will go. Given your weight, I would set tiltback at 25 mph. 

2. I don’t. I ususualy rely on the beeps from the wheel for this, and I approach hills cautiously.

3. yeah they make sense to set. Something like 25mph at 80% battery, 20mph at 50% battery, 18mph at 30%. Anything at lower battery than that and you should certainly be able to hear the wheel’s beeps in any reasonable environment. 

• Like 1

@LorenW - to corroborate what @Denny Paulsaid, one must learn the difference between a 'max speed' (with rider) and a 'no load speed' (which is the max speed at which the motor can spin without a rider). The latter is technical measurement of the hardware but which has no bearing on real world usage with a rider.

The 'no load speed' for the MCM5 is somewhere in the low-to-mid 30s mph, but which is in no way possible with a rider and should not be attempted. The MCM5's max speed with rider is somewhere around 25 mph.

• Like 1

Use the EUC World app and you'll never exceed it's limits, granted you keep it at 25mph or less, I've indicated 24-25 on mine (210 lbs) several times but it feels more like 20 at best.  I have not confirmed via GPS and the error, if any, doesn't bother me in the least, it's just an estimate that I feel safe with using0.  Would I gently lean into an indicated 28mph on flat ground with good battery, probably, but I'm old and brittle, I'm sure others do it all the time.

• Like 1