V11 bearing issue after 20 min ride in the rain (Batch #2 and #3)

Tryptych

Not sure if this is on topic but I'd just like to let you all know that I just attempted the motor change in my wheel.

Disassembly went fine. However my replacement motor had a longer cable and couldn't fit snugly along the side up the wheel. When i reinserted the handle, the sharp edges at the bottom of the handle frame damaged the motor cable so now I got naked copper showing.

Furthermore the motherboard casing is a bitch to put back. Think of stuck drawer and multiply by a thousand. Some screws got damaged there as well (no way to get those out without a drill or something).

Surely, if I was a proper mechanic or a licensed inmotion repair-dude-whatever maybe the procedure had gone smoother. But here I am with a broken 2500 euro wheel.

I'm in contact with the retailer and waiting for their response.

TLDR; inmotion wheel replacement is not easy and realsh00p is sad.

• Like 3

I have same experience as realsh00p from Sweden. 

I got bad bearings after 4 month of lovingly riding my V11 - so Speedyfeet quickly send me a new wheel+motor+bearings AND 2 "schock holders " No manual from Inmotion, I took me a long time to find out the spareparts were wrong. No hole for motorcable in them shcockholders if you upgrade V11 with this DIY package prepare yourself for many hours of work - So far Ive heard from 3 persons who have updated to new bearings - same shit different day. THEY CAN NOT STAND RAIN - its cheap junk or maybe its OK?  See the pix and video below.  Inmotion, mrelwood and Marty have made great videos about how to fix this, my problem is: they disassemble the wheel, I need help to reassemble it.  A written maual with pix and exact numbering of screws and  tools need for every single detail would be very helpfull. I gather Inmotion promised to publish just that.  I spend 12 hours fixing this bloody problem, my IT freind used 6 hours fixing his V11.  Some hypermasculine retards get angry when you critise Inmotion on the net, I dont think they are semi-corrupt. They also get sarcastic and arrogant if you ask for tech help.  These bullies  just have a stupid way of defending Inmotions errors. If the bloody wheels is broke after 12 weeks and cant stand a little rain and snow, then send me a new one and take the old one back for Petes sake.

BEarings in the new type of motors (Hollow bore motors") is a tech problem. Its not solved by aggressive turfpissers, but by Inmotion going into dialog.  mrelwood of Finalnd makes great contents - listen to him, he is a clever bloke, his video about this problem is better than the one Inmotion made. 

Spareparts pix (notice wrong sidepiece)  
https://ibb.co/kB3ggzX
Video:

This video is pure gold: Look and learn: 

Edited by Finn Bjerke

LOL reading this thread reminded me of how I warned a newbie on the electric unicycles subreddit about getting a V11 because of the bearing issues and promptly got shat on and downvoted en masse - "You are out of date!1!!1 They have fixed it!1!!1 The new bearings have rubber seals!!1!!1"

Fixed it, my ass! I do wonder what the real problem is here though. Are the seals too hard? Do they wear out too quickly and lose their sealing ability? Are they seated incorrectly in the side of the bearing? Are the rubber seals warped and leave gaps? Very odd.

51 minutes ago, mhpr262 said:

LOL reading this thread reminded me of how I warned a newbie on the electric unicycles subreddit about getting a V11 because of the bearing issues and promptly got shat on and downvoted en masse - "You are out of date!1!!1 They have fixed it!1!!1 The new bearings have rubber seals!!1!!1"

Fixed it, my ass! I do wonder what the real problem is here though. Are the seals too hard? Do they wear out too quickly and lose their sealing ability? Are they seated incorrectly in the side of the bearing? Are the rubber seals warped and leave gaps? Very odd.

What do you base that on? So far the verdict on batch 3 is not in, hopefully the problem is addressed for both Inmotion and Gotway but there's little  official information for now.

• Like 1

On 12/18/2020 at 4:52 AM, EUChristian said:

So I am terrified to take my V11 out in rain or puddles. Should I not be? I do not want to swap motors. 

I have been riding around rainy Seattle for a few months and have no issues with bearing, yet.. 

I think I have a 1 series and only complaints so far are charging flap flew away, disengage wheel button comes and goes (currently not working), and my BLE cuts off mid-ride making riding apps especially with wrist speedo worthless after you are going a bit unless you stop power off. 

Edited by prasket

1 hour ago, Tryptych said:

Several people from batch #3 have reported this issue now but I agree we need more time

I haven't seen or heard anyone that has the new motor with the new bearing size having problems, do you have any sources?

• Like 1

On 11/29/2020 at 5:43 AM, DjPanJan said:

I think this is not be easy fixable soon. 

Some V11 "devil advocate" can say something diferent but true is: All new "big" holow bearings Ruber seal or not is big fail to IP standarts (with troublefree using) gotway/begode and inmotion move yourelf to very bad situation what need more time and ideas.

Is good seler change you motor perfect customer service this is good if brand can offer good afterservice and RMA.(i have personaly great experience with inmotion oficial service)

Question is how many motors you change in 365 days 1-2or3 because without permanent fix this is endless loop(until warranty).

Damn what hapend to euc in 2020 from all seson comuters we have "toys/products" what is can save ride in nice weather and perfect asphalt only (if you ride euc 4000miles/km plus .this is crazy for 2000 dollar/eur + EUCs :furious:

This EUC (V11) have some IP (xx) ratings  in laboratory condition (exactly how you say 600km no problem until you realy start use like comuter/daily rider not care weather).

For context my V10F with thousands miles rain not rain   0 mechanical problems. My MSP 2022km now and many times i go ride after rain with water on route zero problems.

Example inmotion and begode face same engenering/production chalenges This is bearings after 200km (source ecodrift.ru disasembling Begode EX after 200km ) on picture on Begode EX. Inmotion have in second batch little beter ruber sealed bearings but not miracle hoew sw see. Most expensive bearings on planet canot fix this 100% propably need remake some internal desing "new motor" EUCs with canals for dirt and water maybee  engeners must find solution how protect bearings from contact with dirt and water/snow. In my country they use salt against snow you can imagine what salty snow make with V11(or any "new motors") bearings wow bearingscalypse:cry2:

Maybe solution be just pay 200 dolar/eur extra for high tech topend ultra hypermega bearings edition EUC i personaly pay this i want euc what can be troublefree 4000+ miles kilometers.:thumbup:

Monokoleso-Begode-EX-s-probegom-85.jpg 

I'd pay extra for better parts as well.  I'd really like to see EUC come with some options similar to motorcycles or cars so we can choose what we want & are willing to pay for, and I'm not talking about ali-express, but rather factory supported upgrades.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WasDevNull said:

I'd pay extra for better parts as well.  I'd really like to see EUC come with some options similar to motorcycles or cars so we can choose what we want & are willing to pay for, and I'm not talking about ali-express, but rather factory supported upgrades.

2 x FAG Bearing Begode RS C30 or C38, EX.N - price contain installation 350dolar

2 x NSK Bearing for Begode Monster Pro - price contain installation 450 dolar

2 x ZEN Bearing for Begode EX - price contain installation 550 dolar

eucservice offer.

New era extra pay/packs oficialy begins.

On 12/28/2020 at 3:36 AM, Rawnei said:

I haven't seen or heard anyone that has the new motor with the new bearing size having problems, do you have any sources?

Someone from batch #3 has posted in this thread, another batch #3 person reported it in the InMotion Telegram chat recently.

Granted tons of people have 1000+ km on their V11s and haven't had issues. It's not alot of people having problems but only time will tell how common it is in batch 3 onwards - a lot of people are still avoiding getting the V11 wet.

As soon as mine is fixed I intend to ride the crap out of it, in the rain, while I still have warrenty time.

ps: I am still riding with my squeaky bearings, I'm at about 1100km now which includes 500km with bad bearings.

Edited by Tryptych

• 1 month later...

I found some 3D Printer plans for seals and spacers for the v11:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4741590

The creator claims they're necessary protection for the v11 bearings.  I tend to agree because the bearings aren't very well protected from the elements, which is probably why we're hearing about failures.  No doubt some will hold up, but I think the added protection could help.

I'm having the parts fabricated from this company:

https://www.shapeways.com/

I'm using TPU as the material for the two Seals and Versatile Plastic for the two Spacers.  Total cost with tax and shipping was $105.89.

My new v11 is on order with ewheels.com and should be arrive by April (fingers crossed), but when it arrives I want to install these spacer right away, just to be safe.

There's more discussion about the hollow bore motor bearing issues (applicable to the v11 and Gotway RS and EX) in the forums here:

Hollow bore motor bearing failure Thread

I'm also looking at using a spray silicone for lubricating the suspension system, and Corrosion X for cleaning bearings and protecting electronics from moisture.  My only concern is whether either of these product will break down the bearing grease if it penetrates the bearings seal (I don't think so, but I cann't find any literature on this topic).  Corrossion X is pretty amazing at protecting electronics from moisture, here is an example: 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Wise Rides said:

I found some 3D Printer plans for seals and spacers for the v11:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4741590

The creator claims they're necessary protection for the v11 bearings.  I tend to agree because the bearings aren't very well protected from the elements, which is probably why we're hearing about failures.  No doubt some will hold up, but I think the added protection could help.

I'm having the parts fabricated from this company:

https://www.shapeways.com/

I'm using TPU as the material for the two Seals and Versatile Plastic for the two Spacers.  Total cost with tax and shipping was $105.89.

My new v11 is on order with ewheels.com and should be arrive by April (fingers crossed), but when it arrives I want to install these spacer right away, just to be safe.

There's more discussion about the hollow bore motor bearing issues (applicable to the v11 and Gotway RS and EX) in the forums here:

Hollow bore motor bearing failure Thread

I'm also looking at using a spray silicone for lubricating the suspension system, and Corrosion X for cleaning bearings and protecting electronics from moisture.  My only concern is whether either of these product will break down the bearing grease if it penetrates the bearings seal (I don't think so, but I cann't find any literature on this topic).  Corrossion X is pretty amazing at protecting electronics from moisture, here is an example: 

Let’s see if someone can get some 3D printed suspension rail guides with tighter tolerances as well.

The ones from Inmotion have too much play which allows the V11 to click when you move the V11 forward and back.