V11 DEAD on Day #2 - Heavier/Intense Riders Beware

rexdelmolvo

Well, this sucks. To all heavier riders, you may need to beware getting any kind of air on this wheel or riding aggressively. I installed my Clark Pads, did about 4 1-1.5 inch hops at like 10mph, on the 4th one, the wheel cut out, sent me flying forward and it will no longer turn on. It's completely fried on my second day of riding. The board or the MOSFETS or something burnt out, not super familiar with the internals. The motor/wheel won't spin without hitching and clicking either.

Fully geared, I'm a 220lb rider (and I wasn't even wearing my heaviest piece of gear, my armored jacket), I would've thought the wheel could handle my weight with over 40lbs of headroom on their max rated payload. But no. It's dead. And now I'm injured and sad, haha. That's the end of my V11 journey, clearly this wheel is not for me as an aggressive heavier rider. Take a lesson from me, be very careful jumping or torquing the wheel or dropping from heights if you're heavy. It doesn't like it, clearly.

Such a shame, I liked the wheel for the 3 miles I got to use it for before its untimely demise. Turned beautifully, and the suspension was super fun. eWheels is thankfully helping me out, think I'm gonna switch my purchase over to an RS or a Sherman or something after the refund.

Edited by rexdelmolvo
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, rexdelmolvo said:

Well, this sucks. To all heavier riders, you may need to beware getting any kind of air on this wheel or riding aggressively. I installed my Clark Pads, did about 4 1-1.5 inch hops at like 10mph, on the 4th one, the wheel cut out, sent me flying forward and it will no longer turn on. It's completely fried on my second day of riding. The board or the MOSFETS or something burnt out, not super familiar with the internals. The motor/wheel won't spin without hitching and clicking either.

Fully geared, I'm a 220lb rider (and I wasn't even wearing my heaviest piece of gear, my armored jacket), I would've thought the wheel could handle my weight with over 40lbs of headroom on their max rated payload. But no. It's dead. And now I'm injured and sad, haha. That's the end of my V11 journey, clearly this wheel is not for me as an aggressive heavier rider. Take a lesson from me, be very careful jumping or torquing the wheel or dropping from heights if you're heavy. It doesn't like it, clearly.

Such a shame, I liked the wheel for the 3 miles I got to use it for before it's untimely demise. Turned beautifully, and the suspension was super fun. eWheels is thankfully helping me out, think I'm gonna switch my purchase over to an RS or a Sherman or something after the refund.

Super bummer man, that sucks to wait so long for a faulty unit.  I wonder what the diagnosis of the issue will prove to be.

Im 200 lbs geared up and have been jumping my v11 no issues so far.  I hope it was a fault with your specific unit and im not just flirting with a fried board myself.  Only tine will tell, i just hit the 500 km mark on mine

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rexdelmolvo said:

Yeah, it's got me in a funk on EUC's as a whole. Can't believe it could die on me that easily, and that quickly. And because of said funk, I can't decide what I want to do once eWheels has the wheel again. Shitty, shitty day.

Only MSP 2500W can make you happy. :wub: Belive me.

2 hours ago, rexdelmolvo said:

Yeah, it's got me in a funk on EUC's as a whole. Can't believe it could die on me that easily, and that quickly. And because of said funk, I can't decide what I want to do once eWheels has the wheel again. Shitty, shitty day.

Sorry to hear about this. But it sounds awfully familiar. I weigh the same as you, and the board on my V11 fried on a steep hill on the third day of riding. After getting a new board as a warranty, I’ve been slowly pushing it more and more. 2500km later, I have even overloaded the wheel a few times while off-roading at slow speed. I’ve asked much more from the wheel than what fried the first board, and the V11 is taking it all up well.

I’m sure that just like on mine, your first board was faulty. A good, failure free V11 will have no problem handling what you describe.

• Like 3

I think I'll give it one more chance. Still not sure. I know the Sherman isn't in the same flavor as the V11, but it has other things I want. A 3200wh battery and the ability to cruise at 30mph+ with tons of headroom for one. A number of people I've been talking to about the ordeal have been warning me about the Sherman having a high risk of over-torque cut out sub 20km/h, and after this experience that worries me.

The other thing to consider is I'd get a repaired V11 back faster than I would waiting for the Sherman. The Shermans are slated for christmas...

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, rexdelmolvo said:

I think I'll give it one more chance. Still not sure. I know the Sherman isn't in the same flavor as the V11, but it has other things I want. A 3200wh battery and the ability to cruise at 30mph+ with tons of headroom for one. A number of people I've been talking to about the ordeal have been warning me about the Sherman having a high risk of over-torque cut out sub 20km/h, and after this experience that worries me.

The other thing to consider is I'd get a repaired V11 back faster than I would waiting for the Sherman. The Shermans are slated for christmas...

I hadnt heard about the over torque cutout issue. Hopefully Im so little and sucha  weenie that it doesnt concern me.  The sherman DOES like to cruise at 30-35mph, I'll give ya that. It also has good battery. I was shocked at how little old me could sag the sherm battery down near 50% so fast tho. May I suggest that you give the v11 a try for the season and just look to adding another come next spring? By then, maybe the sherman will have LOTS of competition or it will be updated and an even better wheel.

Edited by ShanesPlanet

Btw, has the pedal dip issue on the Sherman been fixed by now? It looked pretty bad on (was it WrongWay’s?) video.

All EUCs have issues or quirks. The Sherman will have different ones. It’s all about choosing which quirks one can deal with. 

• Like 1

On 11/14/2020 at 7:17 AM, rexdelmolvo said:

If you wanna do jumps and stuff Sherman is not it, get an MSP. 😊

But as was already said better get a new board for the V11 first and give it another chance might been a dud, if it works might be the wheel you want.

• Like 1

I dont think it was your weight that did it. I weigh 290lbs in my gear and I have pushed up my V10F some pretty steep hills, it has never once complained or glitched so far in almost 600km of riding. Not even a single warning beep, much less tiltback, even at below 30% battery.

• Like 1

On 11/13/2020 at 8:04 PM, rexdelmolvo said:

Hey I'm here with you today. Sucks. 

10 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Well I guess that's officially too small for a performance EUC if a sudden spike can kill them (or maybe it was the capacitors, then they are too small).

No. For example the mosfets on my dead board were intact. And the amount of sudden spikes I have asked from the wheel during the 2700km with my 108kg weight, I can honestly say that I think the mosfets on the V11 are not undersized or underpowered.

On 11/13/2020 at 8:04 PM, rexdelmolvo said:

This right here man!!!! Its like I lost my first love. Its like suddenly my dreams are shattered and I know I can never trust another woman again. Arghhhh

On 11/16/2020 at 7:56 PM, mrelwood said:

No. For example the mosfets on my dead board were intact. And the amount of sudden spikes I have asked from the wheel during the 2700km with my 108kg weight, I can honestly say that I think the mosfets on the V11 are not undersized or underpowered.

What was the failure point of your dead board?

On 11/13/2020 at 10:21 PM, mrelwood said:

Sorry to hear about this. But it sounds awfully familiar. I weigh the same as you, and the board on my V11 fried on a steep hill on the third day of riding. After getting a new board as a warranty, I’ve been slowly pushing it more and more. 2500km later, I have even overloaded the wheel a few times while off-roading at slow speed. I’ve asked much more from the wheel than what fried the first board, and the V11 is taking it all up well.

I’m sure that just like on mine, your first board was faulty. A good, failure free V11 will have no problem handling what you describe.

Hello, I started another thread on this earlier, but my brand new V11 is dead, and this happened within second the first time I rode it . I got about 15 feet, lol.  There was a popping sound and it won't turn on now.  It is also noticeably resistant to rolling, but I read elsewhere that electrical shorts and mosfet issues can cause that.

I purchased from EUCO and I'm curious to see how they'll handle this, but it sounds like you replaced your own board.  I wondered how difficult that was, and if you located a "how to" document or video anywhere?  I'm somewhat averse to having to do this on a product that was just literally out of the box, but it might be my fastest route to get it running.  Thanks.

1 minute ago, JBinBalt said:

Hello, I started another thread on this earlier, but my brand new V11 is dead, and this happened within second the first time I rode it . I got about 15 feet, lol.  There was a popping sound and it won't turn on now.  It is also noticeably resistant to rolling, but I read elsewhere that electrical shorts and mosfet issues can cause that.

I purchased from EUCO and I'm curious to see how they'll handle this, but it sounds like you replaced your own board.  I wondered how difficult that was, and if you located a "how to" document or video anywhere?  I'm somewhat averse to having to do this on a product that was just literally out of the box, but it might be my fastest route to get it running.  Thanks.

Dang, this is almost exactly what happened to me! These faulty boards are way too common...

• Like 1

Damn it pains me to read this. It's not any one wheel or brand either. I wonder if ANY one of these companies is doing burn-in testing? Would it be a decent assumption that burn in testing would lessen these instances and perhaps even help them find rubbing and noisy wheels? Is it normal policy for a retailer to require you pay shipping when a wheel fails under warranty? Ugh, i keep seeing posts like this and I just feel:barf:> :furious:

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, ShanesPlanet said:

Damn it pains me to read this. It's not any one wheel or brand either. I wonder if ANY one of these companies is doing burn-in testing? Would it be a decent assumption that burn in testing would lessen these instances and perhaps even help them find rubbing and noisy wheels? Is it normal policy for a retailer to require you pay shipping when a wheel fails under warranty? Ugh, i keep seeing posts like this and I just feel:barf:> :furious:

For what it's worth, when it first fired up the app said my wheel had .6 miles.  Hard to say what that means though.  It could just be spinning on a test bench, or nothing at all.