Understanding the real world considerations and implications of Speed VS Torque models

LCS

On 10/27/2020 at 9:51 AM, LCS said:

Hi all, euc newb here.

Based on a cursory search that I performed, I am sure this topic has been covered a few times (though not exactly in the way that I was expecting, which is why I am starting this new thread). 

There are a few quite deep discussions on how electric motors work, what Torque means, power, etc.  These are very in-depth engineering level technical discussions.  I am starting this thread because I am trying to understand the higher level human aspects of torque vs speed models.

I understand that the gotway c38 vs c30 for example have different magnets, and that at higher speeds, due to the larger magnet sizes, the c38 has more power consumption, i.e. less energy efficiency than the c30, and that this is also where that extra torque comes from.

So, being a new EUC rider, with very little experience, I am trying to understand what some of the longer term considerations are between choosing torque over speed.  I am trying to keep this as generic as possible, and not specific to the c30 vs c38, nevertheless, those are the two models I am trying to decide between.

So, will I hit a wall at some point with the torque model, and want those extra few mph that the c30 offers?  Or will the quick acceleration never get old?

Just curious what your experiences have been regarding long term EUC ownership of either an HS or torque model?

I especially want those who have owned both types of wheels (torque vs HS), but being as how different wheels also have different speeds vs torque ratings, anyone that has owned multiple wheels can chime in with their experience.  When a newb stops being a newb and learns how to ride well, what have you found is most important over time, do you prefer that higher speed rating, or are there different types of rides, some of whom don't care about Top Speed?

Let's try to keep it high level (no engineering level technical details), though objective information is welcome, I'd like to hear about your personal subjective experiences.

Ultimately it would be great if this thread can become a repository of information and experiences that people can read about to decide the ultimate question: 

Torque, or HS?

I thought the same as you and bought the C30, but I’m finding that the time it takes me to get up to 35 mph bores me out of my mind.

If there’s anyone here who is envious of that extra MPH, I will trade you straight across for your C38. My wheel is brand new and has no spills.

• Like 2

On 2/22/2022 at 12:57 AM, I_Must_Bust said:

I'm about 65-68kg and, unless I try to, I don't overpower my tesla. Still not sure if I should go with HS or HT for an RS... I'm looking at getting a new wheel for the summer season coming up. I ride trails but not anything like seen on youtube with mountain biking jumps. More like trails that you could ride on a bicycle comfortably. Not sure if I would ever want to go over the top speed of the HT version given that all of my experience is on a lighter and likely less stable wheel. Wouldn't want to hit RS HS top speed on my tesla, that's for sure.

what your "problem" with the tesla ? speed or range ?

you are not an aggressive offroad driver but you are also not a speed demon, honestly you can get both.

if you are going with RS go for the torque

if EXN go for the speed

jm2c

1 hour ago, Vam Monaco said:

I thought the same as you and bought the C30, but I’m finding that the time it takes me to get up to 35 mph bores me out of my mind.

I don’t follow. If the amount of torque is not enough for you, you must be fighting an overlean. I would say that it’s the least “boring” situation any rider can be in! :blink1:

1 hour ago, Vam Monaco said:

Are you using power pads on your RS19 HS?

Under normal riding conditions for you, are you finding that you are accelerating quicker on your RS19 than your T3?

2 hours ago, Vam Monaco said:

If there’s anyone here who is envious of that extra MPH, I will trade you straight across for your C38. My wheel is brand new and has no spills.

You don't need c38 my friend if 3 seconds is boring for you, you need a MC or a Tesla car at this point lol

https://youtu.be/HlPwe7TmsbE?t=322

• 1 year later...
On 1/4/2023 at 3:49 PM, RagingGrandpa said:

V14 data from Inmotion below.
Assuming a tire outer diameter of 17 inches:

• 210 Nm = 219 lb pull force
  • 750 RPM = 37.9 mph ground speed
  • From the slope of the graph, freespin is expected near 900 RPM (45 mph) 

And it's quite interesting that the torque becomes voltage-limited at just 1/3rd of the freespin speed, around 300 RPM in this data. 
We've been speculating for a long time about where that crossover point happens; good to finally see an example. 
It means: the 219 lb pull force cannot be produced for speeds faster than 15 mph. And raising the firmware's current limit cannot improve this, because voltage is creating the limit (not current). 

10 minutes ago, Jason McNeil said:

Just received this V14 dyno motor result from Inmotion. Will try to get a comparative graphic with the V11/V13 motors, coils temps & significance of the readings for context.

V14-Motor-Dyno-Testing.thumb.jpg.b7b0e6e82696569f58462f12bab5d31b.jpg 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RagingGrandpa said:
  • 750 RPM = 37.9 mph ground speed

The max riding speed is 70km/h (~44mph), and I would expect the data to reach that speed as well.

• From the slope of the graph, freespin is expected near 900 RPM (45 mph)

These specs have been announced already. Top riding speed is limited to 70km/h (~44mph) by tilt-back, and free spin speed was close to 105km/h (65.6mph). I’m not sure if your tire size calculations are a bit off, or did you just remember the top speed incorrectly.

It means: the 219 lb pull force cannot be produced for speeds faster than 15 mph.

A third of the V14 free spin speed would be 35km/h (22mph). Whether the rule of the third applies to other wheels is unknown. I would assume that it’s determined largely by the motor’s kv rating as well.

Dang, that's odd then...

I was ignoring specsheets and only using the information from their dyno graph, plus an assumed tire OD of 17": 
750 RPM for a 17" OD tire gives 37.9mph by my math; hopefully you agree?

Controller voltage was not shown in the dyno data; perhaps it was not the full 134V. 
If full-voltage freespin is really 65.6, and we saw 45 in the test, the test voltage could have been some ~90V: very very low for such a battery pack.
Perhaps they use a large DC power supply and not a battery?
Hope we hear more details soon; otherwise we're left guessing. 

1 hour ago, mrelwood said:

determined largely by the motor’s kv

...which is on display prominently, with a dyno result showing torque vs speed: 

kv (RPM per volt) = 900 RPM / 90(?) Volts = about 10 for this motor

Edited by RagingGrandpa
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, RagingGrandpa said:

750 RPM for a 17" OD tire gives 37.9mph by my math; hopefully you agree?

It does. Some manufacturers call these beefy 3.0-12 knobbies 18” wheels, so that might be closer to the actual diameter. Though even that  would make 750rpm only 64.6km/h (40.4mph). 750rpm at 70km/h (43.75mph) would make it a 19.5” tire. That doesn’t fit either. Seems that they just didn’t scale the graph all the way to the max riding speed.

Controller voltage was not shown in the dyno data; perhaps it was not the full 134V.

Making torque tests with an empty battery wouldn’t make any sense to me. Sure there’s a largeish voltage drop when making torque tests, but other than that I’m sure the battery must’ve been pretty much full.

If full-voltage freespin is really 65.6, and we saw 45 in the test, the test voltage could have been some ~90V:

EUCs don’t let the voltage go anywhere near that low. That would average 2.8V per cell. I’m sure the V14 tilt-back kicks in at 3.15V at the latest.

...which is on display prominently, with a dyno result showing torque vs speed: 

kv (RPM per volt) = 900 RPM / 90(?) Volts = about 10 for this motor

Oh right, didn’t think it further. Though I still don’t think 90V is the correct value here.

• Like 1

Q1) How should we decide what "top speed" to advertise, for a given EUC

What people easily lose sight of is exactly this. The MSX 84V for example is advertised as a 60-65km/h wheel, while the similarly (or slightly better) powered V11 with the same free spin speed is electronically limited to 50/55km/h. Then people choose the MSX because they think it’ll have a larger safety margin at their riding speeds. But no. They’d be better off with the V11.

And the OG Sherman has a 104km/h free spin speed, and advertised riding speed I think was 80km/h? The V14 has practically the same free spin speed, but the top speed is limited to 70km/h by tilt-back. Again, not comparable for safety margin.

If you compare wheels based on a certain safety margin, be sure to compare the same parameters for different wheels. Limited top speed of an Inmotion or KS is not comparable to the unlimited top speeds of Begodes and the likes.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

It's super dangerous to look at advertised speed specs equally. 

The question to answer: Does this wheel have enough torque left FOR ME to remain upright at this certain speed, wind resistance, weight, road inclination, rolling resistance?

Big brand wheels can also come up short under certain conditions. That's why I recommend for everyone to do a quick calculation for every wheel they ride, before they set off. 

Even a battery that's done 5000km might perform differently and as such doesn't provide the same torque as when it was new. Someone that relies on the wheel's safety measures alone might be sorry. Add a greater margin for certain circumstances. The average chinese test rider is wayy lighter than most westeners. 

Edited by alcatraz
  • Upvote 1

As a T4v1 user that now has a v2+ motor while they're both c30 the v2+ motor has a lower kv (I'm also sure the v2+ motors' efficancy is also lower also). A lower kv while not the same as magnetics changing from c30-c38, in practice it is here.

My observation is: more kv(thinner magnets) better efficancy at higher speeds and a higher top speed. Lower kv(wider magnet) will give more torque but it will disappear sooner, and have a lower top speed. Note how the motor is loaded and driven affects how "kv changes" effects its use. Multirotors flyers talk about kv changers differently then euc users because 

An analogy is release angle while throwing a ball, if you throw it to hi(low kv) it will get good hight(torque) but low distance(top speed), to low(hi kv) and it wont get much hight(torque) but will get better distance(top speed). Just like throwing a ball to much kv will have no hight and ground out with little distance aka not enough torque to maintain any speed. To little kv and it will out torque god, but a walker will have a beter top speed. If you take this to the extremes and map the balls trajectory there is a optimal point based on the needs, is it top speed, torque at 30km/h for trails, efficancy at 40km/h to street cruise, etc etc. But takeaways are more kv will have lower bottom end torque but it will extend out longer before dropping off. A higher voltage battery likewise will be like a stronger throw, it will hold its torque longer before dropping off and will have a hight top speed. More amps does not transfer as easy, its like you throw it at a steeper angle and faster but still get the same distance, aka more torque along the whole power range but the same free spin speed(you'll get a marginally better safe top speed).

But lastly motor construction like iron core flux capacity, windings, heat tolerances etc etc will affect motor performance. Each needs to be optimised to get the best out of the magnets used. Going to c40 from a motor optimised for c30 will necessitate other changes to remain optimal, but with no euc motor being optimal(in my view) the euc companies just use the magnets as a cheap way to change the motors kv without needing to alter the stator windings.

• Upvote 1

• 3 months later...
On 1/3/2024 at 7:38 AM, Jason McNeil said:

This is some insightful data on the efficiency curve of the V14's motorV14EfficiencytoRPMSpeeds.thumb.jpg.eac30e55eb2c417bca5ed9409c3850db.jpg

just few insights, theoretical graph with real numbers (those numbers from inmotion seems off, but distribution is similar) :

Electric motor efficiency map and torque curve  

- 1 turn = 2pi radian -  at low speed you can get to 30 percent efficiency - so 70 percent of input power will end in waste heat. Problem will scale with size of the motor, rotor mass, and its power(back-EMF). 

- I would love to see different motor types on our EUC. Adding voltage / power is not yielding desired outcome. Wheels getting heavier and range is not increasing. 

So companies are pushing axial flux motors, some are trying to make motors without magnets -> lets see what future will bring.

Edited by RagingGrandpa
(bugfix quote)
  • Like 1