Are the fans of MCM5 V2 so noisy? :O

Snowball

Today I got this awesome EUC.
I was coming from a MCM5 V1 (great wheel but I was so tempted by the comfort of a 2.5" to go for an upgrade).
Everything is sooo good and I'm happy after short ride I've made today.

But... there's something that impressed me (coming from the old MCM5): the noise! of the fans!

Is it normal that they are so loud compared to the previous version? Immediately after you turn on the wheel they start making this noise and they keep going until you turn it off.
Not a big deal, riding you cannot hear that noise but when you stop...well... let's say it is impossibile to forget the wheel turned off when you come home :)

So, you MCM5 V2 owners are having the same experience?
Thanks so much.

Yeah I noticed it too, being an owner of both the v1 and v2. The v2 is generally the noisier of the two, but only cause the v1 is pretty much silent.

Still, even with the v2’s fan on, it isn’t loud enough to be disruptive. No one is going to care about the soft hum in a busy setting like a restaurant or cafe if you want to push it around. In a dead quiet library, maybe it’s better to turn it off.

I reckon mine is broke, I can't remember hearing the fan at all on mine, ever.  Hmmm.  What temp are you guys normally at?

Oops, check that, my fan runs all the time but it's whisper quiet, I just rode up and down my driveway which is pretty steep and I'm fairly heavy and the warmest it got was 82 degrees but it's chilly outside (65'ish), my fan never changed, started quiet and ended quiet.

Edited by RetroThruster

7 hours ago, RetroThruster said:

I reckon mine is broke, I can't remember hearing the fan at all on mine, ever.  Hmmm.  What temp are you guys normally at?

Oops, check that, my fan runs all the time but it's whisper quiet, I just rode up and down my driveway which is pretty steep and I'm fairly heavy and the warmest it got was 82 degrees but it's chilly outside (65'ish), my fan never changed, started quiet and ended quiet.

Are we talking about V2, correct? 

Would you make a close video when you have time? No hurry of course. I'm curious. 

BTW here now is pretty cold and the fan starts immediately when I turn the wheel on, so I don't think it's related to the temperature at all. 

I remember, when I got the Mcm5 V1 that I was surprised by the fact that the fans continue to start and stop every few seconds. I posted here to be sure it was normal and a few users confirmed it was. 

So:

V1: vvvvv.... vvvvv.... vvvvv.... 

V2: VVVVVVVVVVVV

:D

• Like 1

Yup, you are correct, v2 fans run constant as soon as you turn them on, whereas the v1 is triggered by a certain threshold temp (forgot if it's like 40ºC or similar(?)).

Interestingly, it took my re-buy of the MCM5 to realize you can take out the plastic that blocks the vents on the side covers, so the board gets fanned with intake/exhaust, if you're fine forgoing rain infiltration (which I am).

On 10/4/2020 at 3:12 AM, Snowball said:

Are we talking about V2, correct? 

Would you make a close video when you have time? No hurry of course. I'm curious. 

BTW here now is pretty cold and the fan starts immediately when I turn the wheel on, so I don't think it's related to the temperature at all. 

I remember, when I got the Mcm5 V1 that I was surprised by the fact that the fans continue to start and stop every few seconds. I posted here to be sure it was normal and a few users confirmed it was. 

So:

V1: vvvvv.... vvvvv.... vvvvv.... 

V2: VVVVVVVVVVVV

:D

I'll do my best, I need to get savvy on making vids.  Yes, mine is the V2 with the speaker and 2.5" tire and higher pedals etc..  My fan runs constantly when the wheel is turned on but again, it's very quiet.  I'll post up a vid asap!

Tried taking a vid with my cell phone but it only loads the video at Imgur, no sound, I'll keep trying.

Edited by RetroThruster

I have the SAME THING on my new MCM5 V2.. I I am reassured to see that I am not the only one

Is this the same song ? VIDEO : 

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1KxBdHWuR6Lmd1POGnCcMUf7dNhhQi9gI/view?usp=drivesdk

Do you know if this song change after ride ? (When you stop ride for example)

Edited by kelec_947

I think running the fan non stop is great for cooling and board longevity, board stays around 29-32 C, and honestly i’d rather replace a fan than a control board. 

Yes, it is a bit noisy, but unless you’re in a quiet room it’s no big deal. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, TMoats said:

Yeah, that's not normal. May just need a new fan.

I thought this had to be a defect, as I noticed this on other new wheels from GW, but I asked them directly and they told me it's supposed to be that way. They even sent a video showing the fan behaving this way and then going to always on when the board is heated. Who knows why they made this decision, but all I know is I preferred when the wheel was quiet until the fan was needed...

32 minutes ago, Nick McCutcheon said:

I thought this had to be a defect, as I noticed this on other new wheels from GW, but I asked them directly and they told me it's supposed to be that way. They even sent a video showing the fan behaving this way and then going to always on when the board is heated. Who knows why they made this decision, but all I know is I preferred when the wheel was quiet until the fan was needed...

Ewww. I would definitely replace it with another fan myself anyway. Yes, I prefer quiet myself as that would def bother me as well.

• 4 weeks later...

I got an answer :)

This intermittent fan noise is completely normal. In any case, all the Gotway wheels with the last motherboard have this noise (I got confirmation from a dealer who tested them).

Why do the fans react like that ?
>> In fact, they work in relation to the motherboard. There is a temperature sensor that adjusts the speed to the temperature. This is to limit the inertia of the motherboard: when it rises in Temperature, even after the fan is triggered, the motherboard continues to rise in Temperature for a certain time, and since the motherboard can rise in Temperature very quickly, this early triggering limits the phenomenon.

When the motherboard reaches a certain temperature (while driving), the fan will turn on full power.

Edited by kelec_947
  • Like 2

• 2 years later...
On 10/14/2020 at 4:12 PM, TMoats said:

Yeah, that's not normal. May just need a new fan.

No, the same thing happens with cpu fans, adjust the screws that hold it down. My mten3 did the same thing when I first got it.

One of the screws is probably tightened down too hard.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Yeah I have the MCM5 V2 as well and the fan was extremely loud and bad quality.. it eventually even broke loose and rattled and Hummed inside the shell like a wild Cicada Bug. I ended up getting one of the worlds quietest fans at the same size and specs with superior airflow. Now it's quiet as a whisper and can't even hear the fan when it comes on inside the shell. Best improvement I've made and the temperature never gets anywhere near overheated.

I have attached a video of how it sounded when it fell loose 

Edited by Rramada
Added Video
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Rramada said:

Yeah I have the MCM5 V2 as well and the fan was extremely loud and bad quality.. it eventually even broke loose and rattled and Hummed inside the shell like a wild Cicada Bug. I ended up getting one of the worlds quietest fans at the same size and specs with superior airflow. Now it's quiet as a whisper and can't even hear the fan when it comes on inside the shell. Best improvement I've made and the temperature never gets anywhere near overheated 

The stock fan is crap, and so is the bracket, which broke into a bunch of pieces.

I had to jury-rig a holder for the fan until I can design and 3-D print a better one.

If someone already did this, I would appreciate your sharing, thanks!

2 minutes ago, litewave said:

The stock fan is crap, and so is the bracket, which broke into a bunch of pieces.

I had to jury-rig a holder for the fan until I can design and 3-D print a better one.

If someone already did this, I would appreciate your sharing, thanks!

Yeah I looked for another bracket myself but wasn't successful. I used a hot glue gun and basically glued the bracket to the fan and then screwed it in and reinforced with more hot glue 😂.. Begode has parts but didn't find that specifically 

• Like 1