MCM5 v2 3-inch tire?

Asphalt

This picture shows the compartment reaching all the way down in the front and the back of the wheel. How would you go about cutting this?

I'm thinking maybe going half way. As in, cutting the wheel at -90 to -45deg, and 45deg to 90. (zero deg being straight up). Then raising the shell about 15mm to clear the 3in tire radially.

It would however mean that the light and charge port internals become exposed. That whole panel ought to be moved. Hmm.

IMG_20210913_131804.jpg

Screenshot_20210913-131618.jpg

45 minutes ago, alcatraz said:

How would you go about cutting this?

if you want to do this mod on a tesla you need to change the pillars and raise the shell, russians have made some custom version for this

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, alcatraz said:

I don't see why that's needed. I'd drill some holes in the shell and use 4 out of the 6 available. I might use a metal plate between all the bolt heads and the shell bracket to even out the pressure and grab more of the material.

you can try and see how it goes, don't forget the motor cable on the other side :)

• Like 1

10 hours ago, alcatraz said:

It would however mean that the light and charge port internals become exposed. That whole panel ought to be moved. Hmm.

Doesn't look there's enough vertical room there. The headlight and control board is right on top of the wheel arc. They both get pretty hot so any debris intrusion can be critical. I would be hesitant on doing that but you have a better vantage point.

Can't help much but good luck on it. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Good lord! What a fiasco! This was not an easy thing to trial and error. Had to make adjustments cutting away the shell 4-5 times before I got it so it wouldn't rub anymore. The CST 3.0" tire is definitely bigger than what you guys had to work with. In the end, maybe it was worth it, the ride is nice and pillowy now, much more relatable to the big wheels I've gotten used to, all while keeping it's nice tidy form factor. 

You can see the cuts I made were much more aggressive than previous posts. In wheel well in the front needs to be cut away exposing the headlight chamber, and you'll need to cut away as much as you can of that plastic compartment to allow for enough room. There's probably about 5 mmm from the tire and the back of the headlight housing. Not great for peace of mind. But as far as water ingress goes, I don't ride in the rain ever, and the wires seems like hot glued to the point of basically being rubberized. Plus, for me i know if i lose the headlight function I probably wont ever even notice. The important stuff, like the power switch, usb ports and charge port, are all located in a mostly separate plastic compartment. While dirt and water ingress is possible upwards, the empty space that connects these areas is so small that for my riding I don't think I'll ever have an issue. But even still, i stuffed an appropriately sized wet vacuum filter in there to at least control and spatter. 

The cuts to the rear of the well I could do without much worries. It's all empty space, and the same situation here: there is some common 'communicating' chambers that eventually lead to the control board, but the odds that water ingress or dirt is quite low for my riding, I'm really not concerned. Not only does water or dirt need to fight gravity to get into nasty places, but the exposed areas are *nearly* their own chambers. So, if you're planning on street riding in fair weather only, i think you'll be fine. 

04AE550F-F4E6-490E-B4A9-9275982A079B.jpeg

^ inner shell can be cut much like EMA posted earlier. 

8DE61046-6E9A-4779-95CF-207FE3B6DCEE.jpeg

^rear inner shell, again much like EMA posted. Also note, you can cut the LED strips at the gold connections to retain their functionality. 

5D1CA2FC-E3BB-4B9C-B44D-FDB266D43B4C.jpeg

^ here you're looking at the wheel well itself, front. The is the backside of the headlamp assay. This whole freaking thing will have a wheel whizzing by it just millimeters away! Scary if you need a headlamp, not so scary if you don't.

5AC3A5B6-5BCE-49B8-8CB5-508AF6D16161.jpeg

^ rear of wheel well. Note the location of the horizontal struts or whatever. I think they have something to do with keeping the inner shells attached to each other, so avoid cutting them.

BAC41E45-2AAB-4A2F-946B-0625283BFC2E.jpeg

After shots. Big o tire

C29CBA52-1506-4B0B-8B04-59CC0D97B48C.jpeg

^ah, last point. Yes you need to cut the shiny black outer pieces wider, like others have stated. You also need to cut them higher for this tire. About 2 cm is what I did. 

Conclusion: Don't try this without a dremel and a couple hours to kill. I had to take 2 charge breaks for my handheld dremel cause it kept running out of battery with all my guesswork lol. Curb your expectation too. This tire is absolutely an upgrade, but it's by no means a must have revolution, and it does come with some caveats to your wheel's integrity. It's worth my time though and fits my needs, so I'm happy over here. 

Hope this helps!

Edited by Denny Paul
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Denny Paul said:

Good lord! What a fiasco! This was not an easy thing to trial and error. Had to make adjustments cutting away the shell 4-5 times before I got it so it wouldn't rub anymore.

Looks great!!!!

Yup, I did the same but I kinda expected it to be tedious from the start....maybe 2+ hours of cutting/fitting iirc.

That cut on the outer cover looks refined. Seems like you have underrated your Dremel skills :)

You can always relocate the headlight higher and some components if you want. Tho, it might not be a tidy look and requires some soldering (doable).

Here's my front panel now. Top to bottom: Charging port, Power key-lock, Stock headlight, 2nd headlight (Alien badge now deleted).

544204217_MCM5frntpanel.jpg.d3e0b5a20a94b179ba9963799650a99b.jpg

The relocated USB port and 2nd light switch by the trolley handle. The main power switch relocated below the grab handle on the left side for convenience. 

802119867_MCM5lightswitch2.jpg.a31fdf61718fe095fa99ce4ba1e0a45d.jpg

1969969048_MCM5pwrswitch.jpg.2d6c336ee7f95ce36b863d8203e8af4f.jpg

A hot glue gun to weather-proof and position the wires/components. The dried glue can be removed easily.

But most of all, how WIDE are the TIRES ?? 

Edited by Surfling
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Surfling said:

But most of all, how WIDE are the TIRES ?? 

Sweet mods. Relocating the power button i'd probably want to try some time, if you have some pointers, not sure how to go about it. I don't have any calipers, but measuring as best I can just by eyeballing it with a ruler, i'd guess it's around 7.3-7.4cm, or just shy of 3" wide

2 hours ago, alcatraz said:

Hey Denny! Nice work!

Did you have to raise the shell for this? I'm surprised the 3in tire clears the shell in the middle.

Nope! no raising involved. Just lots of cutting. 

• Like 1

Hey guys! I was ready to order the Bridgestone hoop for my mcm5, but I noticed a load rating of j. Which is 209lbs and I'm about 200 geared up. Does it really mean I'm at the tires limit or is there some headroom to ride it safely? I'm not a jumper, but I do drop down curbs, few stairs here and there and occasional pothole. Or am I better off waiting for the CYT tire from China? I was looking at the Kenda too, but it's the biggest diameter of the 3 and the CYT seems to be really pushing it already. Thanks guys!👍🏽

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Denny Paul said:

Relocating the power button i'd probably want to try some time, if you have some pointers, not sure how to go about it.

Sure thing! Let me know whenever you're ready & I'll guide you right thru.

If you're not familiar with soldering, there's plenty of tutorials on-line and kits for under $20 at amazon.

It's a useful skill with all the E gadgets around us.

2 hours ago, Jineeba said:

Or am I better off waiting for the CYT tire from China?

I'd say, yes. I don't know much about tire load weight limitations but the numbers you wrote are just too close for a safety margin.

I'm actually guna order the same tire as Denny Paul. The treads are more aggro and looks closer to 3" wide than my recent upgrade here -

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32756888603.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.f5764c4d1af0Ks

Edited by Surfling
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Jineeba said:

Hey guys! I was ready to order the Bridgestone hoop for my mcm5, but I noticed a load rating of j. Which is 209lbs and I'm about 200 geared up. Does it really mean I'm at the tires limit or is there some headroom to ride it safely? I'm not a jumper, but I do drop down curbs, few stairs here and there and occasional pothole. Or am I better off waiting for the CYT tire from China? I was looking at the Kenda too, but it's the biggest diameter of the 3 and the CYT seems to be really pushing it already. Thanks guys!👍🏽

just fyi, even though the cyt tire is listed on ali by a few sellers, if you place an order the first thing they'll ask you is "is cst okay? same size"

i was told the cyt in this size is sold out, and isn't being made anymore by a few vendors. 

Personally, I wouldn't take max load ratings as hard set rules. Tires can handle more weight than they're rated for typically. Popping tires is an ultra rare way to have a crash, and probably would only happen on jumps or stairs, if ever at all. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jineeba said:

Does it really mean I'm at the tires limit or is there some headroom to ride it safely?

Tires safety factor is typically about 2. This is needed for ambient and operating temperature variations and pothole pressure peaks. When being otherwise more careful, you can increase load.

• Like 1

On 10/9/2021 at 1:49 PM, Jineeba said:

First, I wouldn't worry about it. Stuff like tire load rating, max psi air pressure, these things are more shades of grey, not black & white. Just because you go 1 psi or 1 lb over the rating doesn't mean all of a sudden your tire will blow out the next day. For example, I've pumped certain tires a little over max psi rating just because at my body weight, I needed to, to have the appropriate pressure, zero issues.

And if you're this concerned, the Bridgestone HOOP is actually what you should be going for anyways, because all the Chinese tires are typically less thick, lesser rubber compounds (esp CST & CYT), with no load rating, meant for ebikes and escooters; while tires like the Bridgestone use better, thicker rubber compounds (original tubeless classification means the sidewall is much stiffer as well), and these tires were meant for more demanding applications in regular ICE scooters and the like.

Edited by houseofjob
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, houseofjob said:

First, I wouldn't worry about it. Stuff like tire load rating, max psi air pressure, these things are more shades of grey, not black & white. Just because you go 1 psi or 1 lb over the rating doesn't mean all of a sudden your tire will blow out the next day. For example, I've pumped certain tires a little over max psi rating just because at my body weight, I needed to, to have the appropriate pressure, zero issues.

And if you're this concerned, the Bridgestone HOOP is actually what you should be going for anyways, because all the Chinese tires are typically less thick, lesser rubber compounds (esp CST & CYT), with no load rating, meant for ebikes and escooters; while tires like the Bridgestone use better, thicker rubber compounds (original tubeless classification means the sidewall is much stiffer as well), and these tires were meant for more demanding applications in regular ICE scooters and the like.

Nice! Good to know! I actually ordered the HOOP after reading the other replies and surprisingly the tire and tube comes tomorrow! I can't remember having anything shipped this fast to Hawaii w/o expedited shipping😂👍🏽

• Like 1

On 10/10/2021 at 9:06 AM, houseofjob said:

Howzit! Quick question if I may! You said you used a 16x3 inner tube on your tire swap. Was your tube bunched up when you aired up? I didn't buy a 16x inner tube but just a 16x3 tube on Amazon. Is the bunching up I'm getting not good or am I just being paranoid? Lol thanks man!

3 hours ago, Jineeba said:

Howzit! Quick question if I may! You said you used a 16x3 inner tube on your tire swap. Was your tube bunched up when you aired up? I didn't buy a 16x inner tube but just a 16x3 tube on Amazon. Is the bunching up I'm getting not good or am I just being paranoid? Lol thanks man!

Yes, there was a minor small bunching up of the inner tube, but nothing I could feel squeezing the outer of the tire or while riding.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

bumping this just for a quick update

Dammit, I love this fat meaty tire on this dinky sub 40lb little wheel. The tire upgrade isn't just better; it makes this wheel one of the best. It's easily the best wheel you can get that weighs less than 50 lbs. Makes the best commuter/errand runner out there. Gah, I'm gushing but hey I've tried nearly everything out there except for the newest of the new and that's how I feel. Hope more people try out the mod!

• Like 2