MCM5 v2 3-inch tire?

Asphalt

I am just ordering CYT 14 x 2.15  H-5118 for MCM5 and V5F to try.... After I get them in a weeks time I will report the results...

interesting they don't make any 14 x 1.95...

• 1 month later...

Just wondering,  which true width is larger,  the hoop or cyt? https://www.bridgestone.com/products/motorcycle_tires/products/detail/pr041/ says the hoop is 68mm which is 2.67 inches and you mention about 2.8 inch for the cst. This true?

After riding with both for a while, which would you choose?

Edited by thendless
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
15 hours ago, EMA said:

i'm doing the upgrade to v3 right now :D

let's see how it goes ;)

curious too, let us know.

I was going to give this a shot a couple days ago, but then I saw how close the 2.5" on the v2 already fits. Doesn't seem like there's much extra room at all to play with. 

• 2 weeks later...

@EMA did you need to cut or adjust anything about the inner shell? Or is it just the shiny black outer trim pieces that need to be cut back?

if it’s just the outer pieces then that seems easy enough, I may give it a shot. I really don’t want to take the shell apart beyond the basic tire change.

On 9/9/2021 at 6:11 PM, Denny Paul said:

@EMA did you need to cut or adjust anything about the inner shell? Or is it just the shiny black outer trim pieces that need to be cut back?

if it’s just the outer pieces then that seems easy enough, I may give it a shot. I really don’t want to take the shell apart beyond the basic tire change.

You only need to slide out the motor and cut 👍

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Denny Paul said:

@EMA @Surfling alright im convinced, gonna order the tire and give it shot. Thanks for figuring out the process guys, and also making it seem pretty doable for me, a guy who's not super DIY inclined. ^_^

Don't underrate your skills, bro! You'll be rewarded by how the wider tire handles.

I'd personally give all the credits to @houseofjob for leading this.

• Like 2

I'm thinking about doing a 3in tire mod on my tesla that I already have a 2.5in on for like 4000km.

What I'm curious about is much wider (approximately) a 3in tire is compared to the 2.5in (on the same rim).

How much did your radial clearance decrease going from 2.5in to 3in?

I know these are hard questions but even an estimation is useful. When I went from 2.125 to 2.5 the difference was about ~5mm larger diameter. 

seems like I'm out of luck, the ali sellers ad's clearly say chao yang, but after I ordered from two different vendors they both told me that chao yang doesn't make this tire size anymore

They both offered me a cst tire in the same 14x3 inch size. Anyone know if this one will be compatible?

1 minute ago, Denny Paul said:

seems like I'm out of luck, the ali sellers ad's clearly say chao yang, but after I ordered from two different vendors they both told me that chao yang doesn't make this tire size anymore

They both offered me a cst tire in the same 14x3 inch size. Anyone know if this one will be compatible?

do you know the exact model/number ?
probably it will fit, those tires are all similar and skinny

16 minutes ago, EMA said:

i think it's the stock tire in 3' inch version, probably is better than the CYT :D

you should try ;)

Better in what sense, better because it’ll fit easier or because the tire quality itself is better?

yes it appears to be the same tread as the stock, I guess same model number too.

I don’t think I want to wait 6 weeks and cut up my wheel just to find out this tire rubs too much to work…

14 minutes ago, Denny Paul said:

Better in what sense, better because it’ll fit easier or because the tire quality itself is better?

yes it appears to be the same tread as the stock, I guess same model number too.

I don’t think I want to wait 6 weeks and cut up my wheel just to find out this tire rubs too much to work…

it has some knobs that help offroad, the cyt is almost slick

on mine CYT the label is 14x3.0 76-254 , if you can find this measure on the CST you'll have a real clue

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Denny Paul said:

Good point...

Tho, I noted they all seem to be smaller than labeled ; the stock tire was only 2.3 and the CYT only 2.74. at the same 25 psi tire pressure.  I've seen this with mountain bike tires as well. Looks like a common sales tactic.

So, that CST is more likely undersized, too. I also like that tread pattern - maybe better grip as pointed out by @EMA

I'd say, it's not a pricey gamble if you're willing to put out patience/time and perhaps learn a new skill. You'll def like the way it rides with the wider tire.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, alcatraz said:

How much did your radial clearance decrease going from 2.5in to 3in?

I didn't get to measure radial clearance decrease but:

3" tire has a 15.25" (387.35 mm) OD on the rim inflated at 25 psi.

2.5" tire has a 14.50" (368.30) OD by itself, unmounted. Would have been better if I measured it inflated on the wheel but it shouldn't be that far off.

I'd safely assume a ~15mm increase in diameter. 'hope that helps...

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, alcatraz said:

Does anyone have an explanation as to why the shell appears to be off center even though the footrests don't appear to be?

I noticed that, too. I think it's just how the shells are made with an Joint "overlap" for sealing.

That's just my assumption.

When cutting the shell of the MCM5, did you have to cut through the wheel well (opening up the control board compartment)?

The tesla I'm attempting to modify has the damn control board compartment reaching all the way halfway down the motor. You can raise the shell but that tire pinch point halfway down will always remain and the question being, how far up the shell can we conveniently/safely cut into the wheel well? I'd say the less the better, to avoid having to waterproof the openings. But then you have to raise the shell by a much greater distance.

Do you guys working on the MCM5 have any tips?

2 hours ago, alcatraz said:

When cutting the shell of the MCM5, did you have to cut through the wheel well (opening up the control board compartment)?

The pics posted above are the only cuts I made. No cuts went thru the control board area. I assume you're saying that there's not enough width on the shell. I have not seen the Tesla's innards and shell fitting so can't help there. A pic might be a better visual.

Or perhaps, the 3" might be just too wide for the 2.125" designation. (almost 30% increase). 

Btw, my cuts were minimal and just enough for tire clearance.

Edited by Surfling
  • Like 1