E skateboard or E scooter?

RetroThruster

Well, I just received a Sur Ron e bike and was really wanting the latest Dualtron Storm scooter ($4,500) and just didn't want to spend that kind of money, sooo, I went with an E Skateboard, I think it'll be decent fun and if someone wants to go riding that isn't up to an EUC, it'll be a nice option.

https://lycaonboard.com/products/lycaon-trx

IMPORTANT DETAILS

14 hours ago, RetroThruster said:

Well, I just received a Sur Ron e bike and was really wanting the latest Dualtron Storm scooter ($4,500) and just didn't want to spend that kind of money, sooo, I went with an E Skateboard, I think it'll be decent fun and if someone wants to go riding that isn't up to an EUC, it'll be a nice option.

https://lycaonboard.com/products/lycaon-trx

IMPORTANT DETAILS

Nice, I've been eyeing that sur ron bike from lunacycle for awhile now but the 16X and a Backfire Ranger X2 all terrain longboard got my money this summer. Maybe someday! Let us know what you think.

• Like 1

I found E-scooters are a nice change after trying a xiaomi. Not too dependent on balancing, plus frees up the feet since you got a wide platform. 

I think any PEV is good alternative to ride since they're all different from each other. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, manieuc said:

Nice, I've been eyeing that sur ron bike from lunacycle for awhile now but the 16X and a Backfire Ranger X2 all terrain longboard got my money this summer. Maybe someday! Let us know what you think.

Cool, I like that Ranger X2, I believe that one has hub motors which I really like, plus it has the all terrain wheels which is also very cool.  I thought that they were sold out and backordered so I went with another brand, now I see that they're in stock in the US, damn, missed that one.  I can attest that the 16x is a fantastic wheel, I sold mine and have regretted it ever since, it just handled and felt right to me. 

My buddy got a Sur Ron after I recommended it to him, as soon as his landed, I ordered mine, just got it yesterday, I gotta say that for $3600, you get a hell of a lot, it needs taller bars and a proper front fender and some other little things but it's a great platform.  Oh, after clipping the restrictor wire, I saw an indicated 49mph which ain't bad:)

r8SySVi.jpg

tbc0Khf.jpg

Edited by RetroThruster
  • Like 2

That's a beauty! I could see having a lot of fun around here with that thing on the gravel roads where cars rarely travel. Those same roads have been really nice for the Ranger X2 but if you are travelling more on asphalt then your board looks like the winner with higher speed and range. Have fun :)

• Like 1

My thinking goes like this.

A skateboard doesn't turn very well or sharply, plus it has no air tires.

So I'll stick a handlebar on it. Except now I have to carefully brake or else...

So I'll stick a seat on my scooter so I can safely brake.

So I'll add pedals...

EUC or bicycle seems to be the only choices.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Finally got the Lycaon TRX, it's not as interactive as the EUC but it's pretty cool, I big part of the reason that I bought it is for when someone wants to go riding and has no experience with EUC's.  I was a little surprised at how fast it is, I still haven't gotten it out of "low" but I gotta admit that I haven't ridden any skateboard since the early 80's so it's been a minute, I think the top speed is close to 30mph so it'll be a while before I get there for sure, right now I'm having fun just carving back and forth on it.  So, no, it's not quite as entertaining to me as the EUC but it is a nice change of pace I guess, I'd still like to try one of the new crop of hyper scooters someday but for now, I'm good...

KctdGs1.jpg

Edited by RetroThruster
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

I just took it down to the park again and rode it back to back to back with my Mten and MCM5, I'm sort of over it, had I grown up a skateboarder it might be different, I can carve back and forth on it now, it's cool if the road is super smooth but leaning my butt back to turn left just seems weird to me, it is super fast though, I can't even top it out in medium with 2 more speeds above that, it's probably going on craigslist.  At least I can say I gave it a try...

• Like 1

I bit the nerd bullet and bought an e-scooter to compliment my euc collection. I must say.. sometimes I pass right over the collection of eucs and hop on the scooter. I claimed to have gotten it so my wife can ride with me, but its MINE and I'm glad I never made the mistake of suggesting it wasn't. I didnt and dont know jack shit about scooters. I pretty much just went to a store I trust (ewheels) and selected one of their better models. I used to skate and still have a board. I also had a foot powered scooter. I don't know what it is, but having a 2 wheel drive scooter than can spin BOTH tires on asphalt, is damn fun. I mean shit, this thing takes off liek a rocket. I didnt expect that I'd need relearn to ride a scooter, but I am. Rule #1, don't turn the bars, just lean. I find myslef hopping up and down on the scooter and acting more a hoodlum than I do on the eucs. Its misleading me in thinking its a safer choice, but 35mph is 35mph and asphalt is asphalt. I am glad i have both choices now, as the scoot gives me an option when my hips and ankles are'nt up to the euc task. I looked into e-bikes, but decided my gasoline powered supermoto pretty much destroys those specs AND i already own it.

Those eboards are badass, but i just can't fathom such small tires out here. Iirc, my regular board learned me about the nature of that. So many broken wrists skating. Skateboards are more suited for cities and places with decent pavement imho. I mean shit, if you dont live near a courthouse, why get a skateboard? Everyone knows you HAVE to grind the courthouse steps witha cop chasing you down or it just aint right. I live in rural area and cowfields and bad roads are the main course. With 10" pnuematic wheels and suspension, I can pretty much go places the euc cant.

I wouldnt dream of buying a baby scooter as I tend to ride like a big boy. Even the ;big' scooter somewhat lugs down when pulling some of these mountains. Further proof that you go big or go home, out here! A side effect of a scooter, is i can let a friend ride with me. He tried an euc but he doesnt own one, so he wont learn it. Last i checked, even standing on a regular skateboard, is a skill that's not common. A scooter tho... its a bit easier. Nones ready for how it takes off like a rocket, but it has handlebars to make up for the riders ignorance. Dual hydraulic disc brakes, I can skid BOTH those tires and its wonderfully dangerous. I have dirt and street tires for it. I may even get a seat, but I find Im a stand up kinda guy. Come to think of it, I rarely sat on my bicycle and the seat on the supermoto is merely an expensive formality.

Good to hear that you're stilla  kid at heart Retro! Hey, we never know what we'll enjoy until we try/retry right? I need to make my way out to see you sometimes soon. We can freeze our nutz off and swap euc's for shits and gigles. Hell, I'd bring ALL my toys, as when is it ever too much!

eucsnscoot.thumb.jpg.8730920d6a9e879fe232e8179ee51fda.jpg

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 2

@ShanesPlanet Traitor!!! :D

I plan to get an RV and travel around the Europe. And so, I also plan to get an e-scooter or an e-bike someday because EUC's are not legal everywhere.
I don't really care what I ride - EUC's practicality is what spoke to me.

Btw. +1 on now knowing how to ride an e-scooter. I tried a few times on meetups and I definitely have to relearn. ;) People thought I was joking.

Edited by atdlzpae
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, atdlzpae said:

@ShanesPlanet Traitor!!! :D

I plan to get an RV and travel around the Europe. And so, I also plan to get an e-scooter or an e-bike someday because EUC's are not legal everywhere.
I don't really care what I ride - EUC's practicality is what spoke to me.

Btw. +1 on now knowing how to ride an e-scooter. I tried a few times on meetups and I definitely have to relearn. ;) People thought I was joking.

I'm not a traitor, Im playing both sides... that's just good math!:D

I was surprised that riding a scooter isnt as easy as I figured. Its not TOO tough, but it's not just something I was immeditalely comfortable doing. Hell, Im still not. I dont know if its my age or too many dead brain cells, but a lot of these things I assumed should be easy...aren't. Last scooter I rode was many years ago. How odd, i can ride a moped just fine. Euc seems more practical, but I don't think 'practical' was EVER a consideration when I decided to join the pev world. Im not sure e-scooters are perfectly accepted everywhere either. I mean, if its fun, it has to be banned somewhere, right?

• Like 1

Dang man, that scooter is badass and is top on my list, yes, I'm keeping the skateboard but gonna add the scooter as well, as it turns out, the skateboard isn't very practical but still cool nonetheless.  Like you mention, those small wheels are the limiting factor to me having real fun with it, if the places I rode it were smooth as glass it would be awesome but I'm always dodging little rocks and such.  Anyways, I live in a pretty rural area so the scooter will be perfect to blast around on on these back roads.  People drive like maniacs here so I'm still a little apprehensive riding an EUC here with all the blind curves and such, my thinking is that a higher speed scoot like yours will be just the ticket.  I honestly thought that I'd be able to hop right on the scooter and immediately be comfortable, sounds like it's not as easy as I thought, good advice.  That 80mph Rion will have to wait a while I guess:)

"I didnt and dont know jack shit about scooters".  

You crack me up, I don't either:lol:

Good to hear that you're stilla  kid at heart Retro! Hey, we never know what we'll enjoy until we try/retry right? I need to make my way out to see you sometimes soon. We can freeze our nutz off and swap euc's for shits and gigles. Hell, I'd bring ALL my toys, as when is it ever too much!

-Yeah, let me know, we can meet in the middle or stay here, as long as you don't mind cats:)

Edited by RetroThruster

1 minute ago, RetroThruster said:

"I didnt and dont know jack shit about scooters".  

You crack me up, I don't either:lol:

I have lerarned that 30mph on a scooter seems wicked fast, even in compare to 30mph on an euc. Kinda like hauling ass on the mten. Totally doable, but you better pay attention. Fun stuff isnt always very safe is it?

2 minutes ago, ShanesPlanet said:

I have lerarned that 30mph on a scooter seems wicked fast, even in compare to 30mph on an euc. Kinda like hauling ass on the mten. Totally doable, but you better pay attention. Fun stuff isnt always very safe is it?

Hell no, that's why we do it!  It's funny, my top speed so far on the skateboard is about 18mph and that scared the chit out of me:/  

What's the top speed on your Lightning+?

• Like 1

Ive had it to near 40mph and its honestly NOT a safe speed. I'd say the scooter starts to get a little squirrely around 25mph. I think they claim it can do around 45-50mph, but i've since forgotten. Heading into the wind in my hood, Im pretty sure 40 was the max. Unlike an euc tho, I had the throttle pinned and needn't worry I'd fall on my face all a sudden. I'll have to bring mine over for you to try before you buy, unless you are already certain. The damn scooter was NOT a cheap investment by any means.

Edited by ShanesPlanet

• 2 months later...
6 hours ago, RobertHan said:

I think the more exciting between the two boards is the skateboard. This is because of the many tricks it can do including sliding on the rail or the kick flipping of the board, among others.

Scooters can also do tricks in skate parks. But, the skateboard can perform advanced tricks in the skatepark and you can cruise downhill at increased speed. Also, maintaining a balance while rolling is exciting and challenging too.

Agreed. By far, an esk8 requires far more skill & is much more challenging. It takes nothing to hop on an escoot. Going 30mph is fun (somewhat) but for me, its only the appetizer. Going the same speed on an esk8 however, brings thrills combined with multi sphincter moments.

Far's wheels v esk8s, being that I do both, I'd say they're about equal in the joie de vie dept. Everything else, EUCs win in spades.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Scottie888 said:

Agreed. By far, an esk8 requires far more skill & is much more challenging. It takes nothing to hop on an escoot. Going 30mph is fun (somewhat) but for me, its only the appetizer. Going the same speed on an esk8 however, brings thrills combined with multi sphincter moments.

Far's wheels v esk8s, being that I do both, I'd say they're about equal in the joie de vie dept. Everything else, EUCs win in spades.

While I still would like to try the scooter, and will someday soon, this board has proven more challenging than I thought, it might not be quite as hard to hop on it and go straight but when it comes to turning, wow, your body cannot be directly above the board, I guess that's true for just about any of these toys but turning to your backside on a long board takes a bit of commitment to turn sharp, it's really fun, but the top speed thing, I don't see how you guys can ride these things at 30 mph, I feel like I'm gonna crash my brains out any second at 15 and I'm on 120mm wheels.

8 hours ago, RetroThruster said:

While I still would like to try the scooter, and will someday soon, this board has proven more challenging than I thought, it might not be quite as hard to hop on it and go straight but when it comes to turning, wow, your body cannot be directly above the board, I guess that's true for just about any of these toys but turning to your backside on a long board takes a bit of commitment to turn sharp, it's really fun, but the top speed thing, I don't see how you guys can ride these things at 30 mph, I feel like I'm gonna crash my brains out any second at 15 and I'm on 120mm wheels.

No doubt 30mph is a scary number on an esk8, for me at least! & there in lies its allure. It doesn't take huge speeds to make it fun. I shred mainly btwn 15-20mph on bike paths & only go full bore on flats & then, only on roads I know real well. Its not hard to get thrown off even at lower speeds & as such, I gear up as much as on wheels.

Carving is fun though even if I don't have the skills nor the inclination to do sk8park tricks as it doesn't take much to sprain an ankle when one lands stupidly. Anyhoos its a nice supplement to wheels as I ride with some esk8 dudes. Sides, its a much cheaper hobby to get into.

But alls said & done, there's really no comparo vs wheels as nothing beats wheels as the ultimate short-med distance all terrain PEV commuter. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Scottie888 said:

No doubt 30mph is a scary number on an esk8, for me at least! & there in lies its allure. It doesn't take huge speeds to make it fun. I shred mainly btwn 15-20mph on bike paths & only go full bore on flats & then, only on roads I know real well. Its not hard to get thrown off even at lower speeds & as such, I gear up as much as on wheels.

Carving is fun though even if I don't have the skills nor the inclination to do sk8park tricks as it doesn't take much to sprain an ankle when one lands stupidly. Anyhoos its a nice supplement to wheels as I ride with some esk8 dudes. Sides, its a much cheaper hobby to get into.

But alls said & done, there's really no comparo vs wheels as nothing beats wheels as the ultimate short-med distance all terrain PEV commuter. 

True, no substitute for an EUC, for me it's fun just carving back and forth at low speeds, I'm not good by any means but I can do slow speed carving which is all I need at this point.  

I have stepped off the board a dozen or more times at 8-10 miles an hour only to find myself running to keep from falling, I'm sure it's quite entertaining for the people that see me but I don't care, but yeah, full gear for me also.  I wish I had more places to ride one, I can really see it being great fun, I hope Lycaon comes out with an all terrain set up with pneumatic tires, that would open up a lot more riding areas for me.

• Like 1

Ya AT tires are the way to go. I'm debating btwn pneumatics or honeycomb airless though. I know which has the better ride but I also know which is more bulletproof.

Cloudwheels are nice but I think AT tires are the way to go. As you alluded, AT gives us much more riding options. Your Lycaon TRX is a nice board & I love how the belts sound. Its nice to have pedestrians jump out of the way automatically. One of the guys I ride with has an Ecomobl ET AT board with planetary gear drive. At speed, it sound like a jet flying thru. 

I'm just stoked to have some options in these f*^ked up lockdowns & I'm very glad cops don't patrol the bike paths where I'm at. I get to go as fast as I dare to (which isn't very fast as ma ballz have shrunk some since the days🤪).

• Like 1

I've ordered myself an all terrain board (WowGo AT2). I don't consider it a replacement for an euc, as it cannot take me to the places an euc can, as fast or as safe.

I bought it for the fun factor and small trips, but mainly for the learning experience that has been very rewarding with the EUC. (I'm chasing that high 😂)

• Like 2

On 10/2/2020 at 12:52 AM, RetroThruster said:

... got a Sur Ron... [snipped]

r8SySVi.jpg

Looking at the price and the machine... Why not to just go over to petrol heads and buy a decent motorcycle for those money if you want something different from EUC? I mean, this is practically a very weak motorcycle - a new 125 ccm pitbike might cost a quarter of this and would have about twice the kilowatts, plus "instant charge" at the nearest petrol station. :D

Edited by Zopper