Thin, shock absorbent adhesive for KS-S18

Steef Klonoa

For now at least, I plan on keeping my pre-order for this wheel. Against my better judgement maybe. I am concerned with how fragile the body is. Ian with Speedyfeet cracked a piece of the shell off accidentally just when he was unplugging the charger. What I am looking for is some kind of adhesive sheet, that will absorb shock if the wheel falls. I'd like something I can cut down to size so it will cover the wheel just where I think it is needed. Also, for this material, I wouldn't want it to be too gummy/foamy on the outside so it gets all chewed up if the wheel hits the pavement--it would have to be kind of smooth. Does anyone know where I could find something like this?

41 minutes ago, Steef Klonoa said:

I'd like something I can cut down to size so it will cover the wheel just where I think it is needed. Also, for this material, I wouldn't want it to be too gummy/foamy on the outside so it gets all chewed up if the wheel hits the pavement--it would have to be kind of smooth. Does anyone know where I could find something like this?

Neoprene? Has great cushioning and "some kind of sealed surface". Not to strong, but the best i could think of... Don't have any experience how it really behaves scrubing over asphalt...

For me a wheel is a device to be used - i don't care for the looks (i don't see it while riding) :ph34r:

Riders used to cut their covers from kids diving suits - then @The Fat Unicyclist  started making them for most common models (www.roll.nz). Could be a challenge to design something functional for the S18 - but he should have gathered experience with the simpler euc's till now. :thumbup:

18 minutes ago, Steef Klonoa said:

Thanks! @Chriull I will take a look into the neoprene. Now I'm thinking maybe I could double layer something on there. Start with a thin layer of foam and then stick some carbon fiber vinyl on top of it.

Maybe kevlar enforced outer layer!

Instead of foam imho neoprene should be better (but is also just some kind of foam...). Maybe even some D3O sheets?

With the current price range of unicycles such DIY solutions are not really price sensitive...

Keep us updated if you find some nice solutions!

24 minutes ago, Steef Klonoa said:

Thanks! @Chriull I will take a look into the neoprene. Now I'm thinking maybe I could double layer something on there

Just rethinking this - afair (?some of the?) wet diving suits have some fabrics as second layer on the neoprene - could be exactly what you're looking for! They're readily available from some 4 to 8mm thickness.

wait till it breaks and use duct tape? I dont think we'll be able to keep those from breaking, I saw the same video. I commented that it looked fragile and speedy feet respsonded that it wasnt. Not sure he and I have the same basic definition of the word. I charge mine on stands that support the wheel and tire, maybe he should start doing the same? As a dedicated off road machine, I'll be happy when the new is gone, as Im sure I'll be breaking it daily. Hopefully some duct tape, some glue and some lack of give a shit, will be all it requires.

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Steef Klonoa said:

Not as expensive as I thought @Chriull I'm thinking start with a layer of this and then cover it with a layer of adhesive carbon fiber vinyl.

Don't know how easy and durable a selfmade carbon layer on neoprene will or can be - have absolutely no experience with this.

But more expensive stuff "reinforced neoprene" already exists and is found for example on

https://www.mscdirect.com/industrialtools/reinforced-neoprene-sheet.html

(I don't know this company, their products,quality - just the first i found on goole)

https://www.mcmaster.com/epdm-foam-rubber/multipurpose-foam-sheets-and-strips/

How high quality do you want to play with? I ordered from here, came as stated. "soft" is not that soft, I coulda went with extra soft at 3/4"-1" rather than the 'soft' 1.5". I am cutting it in half as its too expensive to waste. This aint cheap crap, its WAY beyond the quality of what comes on the wheels or what I've seen as yoga mats and the like.

Edited by ShanesPlanet

17 hours ago, Steef Klonoa said:

For now at least, I plan on keeping my pre-order for this wheel. Against my better judgement maybe. I am concerned with how fragile the body is. Ian with Speedyfeet cracked a piece of the shell off accidentally just when he was unplugging the charger. What I am looking for is some kind of adhesive sheet, that will absorb shock if the wheel falls. I'd like something I can cut down to size so it will cover the wheel just where I think it is needed. Also, for this material, I wouldn't want it to be too gummy/foamy on the outside so it gets all chewed up if the wheel hits the pavement--it would have to be kind of smooth. Does anyone know where I could find something like this?

@The Fat Unicyclist might have something for you? Might take a while before it is ready though.

18 minutes ago, Chriull said:

In March was his last post - his profile page states his last visit ~2 weeks ago...

Her?(please correct me if im getting people confused) :)  Last I hear, she had the s18 in her mind, and that was quite some time ago. I'm not saying she has done anything or not, merely stating that she is aware of the s18 and seems to enjoy a challenge. My challenge is a damn mten cover....

Edited by ShanesPlanet

Since I got my KS 16X bodyguard, I have not really seen him comment on anything, he ( @The Fat Unicyclist ) might be logged in to read, but not seen any posts. I used to have contact with him on e-mail but that went quiet too. He and his wife said they had too much going on but I don't know the details. 

KS16X EUC bodyguard molle version.

I got this one from them a concept of a rain guard, But it wasn't as successful as hoped, But I never got any responce to my feedback to them. 

Home again

More phone here: 

https://flic.kr/s/aHsmMLq7fV

• Like 1

Ah gotcha.... its him.I must be getting him confused with his wife.  Thanks for clarifying. I'm sure they are both busy as hell and Im gna break my s18 too soon. Maybe they'll have a cover that will hide the duct tape by then. :)

Edited by ShanesPlanet

34 minutes ago, ShanesPlanet said:

Her?(please correct me if im getting people confused) :) 

The quoting history:

1 hour ago, ir_fuel said:

@The Fat Unicyclist might have something for you? Might take a while before it is ready though

1 hour ago, ir_fuel said:

Seems he hasn't been online here since March?

Anyway, FYI https://www.roll.nz/21-euc-bodyguard

53 minutes ago, Chriull said:

In March was his last post - his profile page states his last visit ~2 weeks ago...

As @ir_fuel has used "he" and from my (fading) memory i was quite sure @The Fat Unicyclist  is a "he". But i won't put my hand in fire for this.

Maybe from roll.nz a hint:

"and being one of these anonymous internet things that was when "The Fat Unicyclist" was invented (basically he's a guy that looks a lot like me, but on top of a wheel)."

I recall an email with a person who was female in name and said she LOVED the purple. I bought purple direct and waited for it to cross the ocean. The person (im not saying the name) was totally correct as the purple is awesome. I had this feeling that the person I was chatting with, was someone who ran the place or at least was a big influence in the operation. Tis all I know and wether its he or she doesnt matter in the scheme of it all. RollNZ has someone there that seemed to embrace the idea of the JUST released s18. I can't possibly imagine how someone would tackle that format, so please dont read into it more than: RNZ knows its out there.  Btw, the bizz card that came with my epic and awesome cover, was signed by the same person I was chatting with. His/Her name lends me to think it was a she. Idr if 'thefatunicyclist' was ever brought up. *sry bout the derail, Im a broken record when it comes to the rare companies that impress me.

Edited by ShanesPlanet

44 minutes ago, ShanesPlanet said:

I had this feeling that the person I was chatting with, was someone who ran the place or at least was a big influence in the operation.

Just scanned a bit the "euc bodyguard" topic - so @The Fat Unicyclist  has a male first name, but he mentions another person with a female firstname - seems to be your purple loving contact? Maybe the form a multigender posting community by now? Or he strictly defends his alter ego from foreign access?

49 minutes ago, ShanesPlanet said:

Tis all I know and wether its he or she doesnt matter in the scheme of it all.

Right. But i seem to be a bit bored lying around curing my back pain... :(

To get back on topic - @Steef Klonoa  while i scanned this above mentioned topic, there was talk about a reinforced neoprene with kevlar on the outside! They don't use this product anymore due to some problems and i did not read what they use now...

So if you search a bit you should find materials that transform your S18 into an invincible tank!

@ShanesPlanet Roll NZ is as you suspect, are flat out with the Bodyguard side of their EUC business, so that is the reason for @The Fat Unicyclist being quiet on here lately. The name you are so desperately searching for is Chrissi, she is one half of the most dedicated couple I know in the EUC business!

Edited by fbhb

@ShanesPlanet I'm not looking to break the bank, just find a happy medium that will protect the wheel. Not sure what I would do for thickness. @Chriull neoprene with kevlar sounds sweet! I'm going to look that up. I'm not too sure about the vinyl either, I'm wondering if it would slide easily when the wheel hits the ground, or if it would catch.