Made a mistake, lesson learned

Thank you for being responsible in how you handled it. This shit happens, but tempting karma is usually much worse. Cars and trucks dent so easily  nowadays it quite astounding.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, ShanesPlanet said:

Thank you for being responsible in how you handled it. This shit happens, but tempting karma is usually much worse. Cars and trucks dent so easily  nowadays it quite astounding.

The guy was outside doing yard work so he came right out; but I like to think I would have still done the right thing though. Unfortunately it was a car that he had done some work/customization on too.

7 minutes ago, newbie101 said:

I wonder if there is a liability insurance we can buy for euc?

God i hope not, but it will just be a matter of time. Custom car paint jobs can cost quite a bit for sure!

44 minutes ago, newbie101 said:

I wonder if there is a liability insurance we can buy for euc?

Might be covered under a homeowner's policy or a renter's policy.

Any riders in the insurance business to give us guidance?

Bruce

Edited by PennBruce
  • Like 1

Thanks for posting this. I know it is a bit late now, but when you look for a backpack that helps to avoid this, this is my tip. Anyone doing hicking or trekking walks should be able to confirm this too. I had something similar happening having both a backpack on and additional shoulder carried sportsback, that shifted as I were to mount up at a red light turning into green. If I have to use two bags, i tent to hold it vertical infront of me rather having it on the side. But for the tip of choice, here goes:

If you are to carry any weight you should aim for a backpack that carry the weight on the hips, not the shoulders. I use one from an E U company called Vaude. There are other brands. But having weight on the hips, withh stpport on shoulders makes it so much more long time comftable and much better ballance, less risk of weight shifting too. 

This video showcase some of their options:

• Like 1

Would your auto insurance also cover you for something like this? Not sure how it works outside of the US and not sure the extent of the damage but it could be an option.

https://www.bikelaw.com/2016/06/does-auto-insurance-cover-bicycle-accidents/#:~:text=Yes%2C Your Automobile Insurance Policy,that matters%2C but our own.

55 minutes ago, GameKing said:

Would your auto insurance also cover you for something like this? Not sure how it works outside of the US and not sure the extent of the damage but it could be an option.

https://www.bikelaw.com/2016/06/does-auto-insurance-cover-bicycle-accidents/#:~:text=Yes%2C Your Automobile Insurance Policy,that matters%2C but our own.

Not where I am, EUCs are not covered in the motor vehicle act here.

very cool that u offered to cover damage but very likely his auto insurance would cover. if he comes back to u with a huge estimate, u might wanna think abt this. shld u fork out 1500$ when he has coverage through his insurance? something to discuss at least...

51 minutes ago, amelanso said:

very cool that u offered to cover damage but very likely his auto insurance would cover. if he comes back to u with a huge estimate, u might wanna think abt this. shld u fork out 1500$ when he has coverage through his insurance? something to discuss at least...

I don't know how it works over there, but in the UK, any claim against an uninsured driver/rider likely means the claimant loses their No Claims Bonus, not to mention their Excess. One or both of these could be a considerable financial impact, plus it never looks good to have ANY claim filed on insurance. If I were the claimant I would push for the full amount, working outside of the insurers, but if you couldn't afford it.....

call your car insurance person and ask them - they will know how things work in your jurisdiction and can advise you on potential options for the claimant... again this applies more if the estimate is very significant...

On 6/23/2020 at 7:49 AM, Justin Boivin said:

Today I smoked a guy's (parked) car and put a dent in it.

No worries man! It happens all the time... :rolleyes:

KIxfFfg.jpg

• Like 1