recommend me a uni

10 hours ago, Michael Robert Ryan said:

I am a traditional unicyclist who's looking to get a e-uni for transport. I have two or three thousand to spend. Looking for something fast and reliable. Suggestions?

If I had your budget (plus a couple hundred more) I would be looking at the Veteran Sherman. 88lbs may not be the ideal for a first wheel, but you surely will not outgrow it.

• Like 1

Just to keep things in perspective. So far we have suggested the fastest and most expensive wheels that are in the 30-50 MPH zone.( 51- 80 km/h) 

Before we spend all of his money and kill him on an EUC I thought we might want to suggest a reasonable good all around wheel. As suggested before, I suggest the Kingsong 18xl

If you did want to take just a bit of risk in the newer model area maybe the s18

Edited by RockyTop
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, RockyTop said:

Just to keep things in perspective. So far we have suggested the fastest and most expensive wheels 

The OP did ask for 'fast' and '2 to 3 thousand dollars' which is the expensive bracket.

Oh well, what with that and the 'bursting into flames' Monsters and people asking about speed and distance requirements which I had already asked in the 2nd post I think Im done

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Planemo said:

The OP did ask for 'fast' and '2 to 3 thousand dollars' which is the expensive bracket.

Oh well, what with that and the 'bursting into flames' Monsters and people asking about speed and distance requirements which I had already asked in the 2nd post I think Im done

No! We gave him what he asked for. I am just not sure he knows what that is. 15mph is pretty fast on the pedal version. 15mph is also fast when learning to ride an EUC, Even if he can ride the real thing.  And the 18XL will go 30mph.

Edited by RockyTop
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Planemo said:

He didn’t answer, so didn’t see the harm in asking again ;)

5 hours ago, Michael Robert Ryan said:

I was looking at the monster, but the technology on that is so bleeding-edge that they sometimes break or burst into flames the first time they're out of the box b/c the bugs havent yet been worked out. 

Not true at all. There have been three major versions of the wheel, and with a few rare exceptions, there have been no problems. Many other models have had many other issues as well. 

On version 3 of the Monster, there was a short period of time when there were defective control boards. That's been resolved. The wheels before and after were fine. 

There were some people who got Monsters with aftermarket modifications made to them (extra batteries), and some of those spontaneously burst into flame while being ridden. Some of the modified monsters were also bounced around so hard in their shipping containers during transit that the power button was "pressed", they turned on, couldn't spin the wheel, overheated, and caught fire. Probably better to go with an unmodified wheel from the manufacturer.

The Monster is an unusually large wheel, and is an "acquired taste". You could start with something in the middle of the range as far as size goes and see what you like. I agree with everyone's suggestions (in no particular order): Kingsong S18, Kingsong 16X, Gotway Nikola+, Gotway MSX, Gotway MSP,  InMotion V11. I wouldn't do the 18XL at this point just because I think the fatter tires on the newer models are more comfortable. But all those wheels are fast and powerful, and have decent range (a bit more limited on the S18). 

I suppose you could get a Veteran. It looks like an amazing wheel, but it's heavy, and there are no reviews out on it yet. So maybe best to wait until the community has a little experience with it. 

If you made me suggest just one, I'd say the Nikola+ just because it's got a trolley handle, and I agree with Marty that it's a great riding wheel. Put a cover on it while you're learning. But as a unicyclist, you'll probably figure it out on your first day.

Edited by erk1024

2 hours ago, RayRay said:

Budget some $$$ for protective gear, regardless of whether buying a wheel with max capabilities or not. (Powered wheel makes a big difference in a crash or fall.)

Totally agree. IMHO the minimum set of gear is 8" tall boots, knee + shin guards, elbow guards, wrist guards, and a full face MTB helmet. Get good stuff. Plenty of recommendations on the site. Whatever you don't protect will get injured.  ;)

$3000 you can buy whatever EUC you want.  Go big or go home.  Heck, for that kind of money you can buy two solid EUCs.  If I had a $3000 Budget (going off eWheels prices) I'd probably go for an Msuper Pro 100V (Get the speed version, not the torque version) and Mten3 as an ultra portable; probably still have a few hundred left over. 

Find a reasonably priced 18XL with whatever gear you will or will not wear. With the $1000 leftover, you can save up for the next wheel. Make no mistake!!! No matter what wheel you buy, it will merely be the first of many, as the disease has no cure. Im still riding an 18L that can be purchased for around $1200 and I love it. Of course, I too have the sickness and added an mten. If you dont have an 18" and an mten, you dont know what youre missing. You could easily buy both for under $2k. By the time the second version of suspension wheel comes out, youll have enough $$ to buy it too, or go big with one of these impossible to carry behemoth wheels.

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 2

No matter what wheel you buy, it will merely be the first of many, as the disease has no cure.

Oh, crap, I never thought of that, but should have. As a rider of conventional unicycles, I am already infected with one such disease. I'm not sure I can afford to infect myself with another. What to do, what to do...:D

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Michael Robert Ryan said:

I have heard the Gotways have kind of flimsy shells that break easily compared to others. I am hoping someone can talk me into a Gotway b/c those go fastest (from what I understand) but I keep hearing other things bad about them. Comments?

Depends on which Gotway, the MSX and Monster indeed have weak shells; however the Nikola might arguably be the most durable wheel of all manufacturers. That thing can take a serious beating.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Michael Robert Ryan said:

I have heard the Gotways have kind of flimsy shells that break easily compared to others. I am hoping someone can talk me into a Gotway b/c those go fastest (from what I understand) but I keep hearing other things bad about them. Comments?

Although the Gotway shells are a bit weaker I think the bigger problem is that the people that buy them are a bit more crazy and tend to damage them more. I have wrecked my MSX above 30 mph twice and below 20 MPH too many times to count. I will admit that I have been lucky yet I have minimal damage. I broke two screw towers and now it makes a plastic sneaking noise when I shift around no the wheel.  My wife wrecked her 18XL once and broke most of the screw towers on one side. I had to drill holes and though bolt the side cover on. 

I still recommend the 18XL to new riders because it is a great all around wheel. The 18XL is more of a luxury sport while the MSX is a roughly built race car. I do not recommend the monster unless it is a second wheel or you weigh 300 pounds. 

1 hour ago, Michael Robert Ryan said:

If you get a neoprene cover from Rolls.nz, then your wheel will be very durable. Otherwise the shell will get scraped up over time when you have to bail for some reason. When I had one of the covers on my 18XL, I dropped it like 50 times while I was learning, and then the guy I sold it to dropped it a bunch of times. Still pretty much unscathed with the cover. 

https://www.roll.nz/int/27-store