thinking Z10 next

I sold the 16X and MCM5, and I'm left with MTen3, Tesla, and Nikola.  Probably like half the forum, I have my eye on the S18 and MSP.  HOWEVER the thing is that I ride the MTen3 and Tesla most of the time, right tool for the job, blah blah blah.  I ride the big flashy Nikola on the local paved footpath in the evening, and it's a great conversation starter, love the wheel, but when I bought it I already knew that it wasn't going to be my main ride when I ordered.   So the problem with S18 and MSP (and KS18XL) is in reality I want to try them, but I'm pretty sure that they'd just collect dust after that.  So I'm thinking ... maybe now is the time to gamble on the casual Z10 and try that.   Am I making sense or sounding insane?

• Like 1

You are definitely making sense.
The Z10 is an awesome ride and a very unique one.
It has long been on my list of wheels that I would like to own.
However my riding style has changed as time has passed and I have become a bigger and bigger a-hole when riding.

Still though... the Z10 is one awesome ride if you are okay with the limited range which you obviously already are.

The MSP is nice and all but you have a Nikola you use against your will lol... so the MSP will also be in that category.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, xorbe said:

HOWEVER the thing is that I ride the MTen3 and Tesla most of the time, right tool for the job, blah blah blah.

Sounds like you are riding these for transportation ... true? If so, how much riding are you doing for plain old fun? Is it about 50/50? Or are you 75% transportation ... 25% fun? Or any other number?

2 hours ago, Mike Sacristan said:

The MSP is nice and all but you have a Nikola you use against your will lol... so the MSP will also be in that category.

I always enjoy Mike's magical way with words and how they cut right to it! :) Many of us are in the same boat as you and want to try wheels that are not available to us through friends and such. Its all about how bad you want to try a wheel. Maybe somewhere along the way, you find a new prime wheel unless you actually need the smaller lighter wheels for portability. If your fun riding percentage is high enough for you ... just do it.

• Like 1

I realize that I haven’t had enough miles on the Z10 to judge the wheel behavior properly, but the tire behavior together with the common battery issues makes it a wheel I just can’t find myself to recommend.

We have only seen one Z10 in our local meets, and it has developed pretty bad intermittent issues, forcing reboots sometimes just a few minutes apart. And the rider has crashed multiple times at speed due to a surprising behavior of the tire. Marty Backe also crashed his on video as the wheel just wouldn’t take a turn.

And Roberace fried a MOSFET on his by idling a few times.

I’m sure the behavior can be learned to a degree, but it still does require much more concentration on varying surfaces than any of the 18x3” wheels. I do understand the fun aspect of the Z10, but to me it’s not anywhere near worth the issues.

• Like 1

Wow y'all are making it sound like it's not even worth a gamble.  Perhaps I should just chill with the 3 currently in the herd.

• Like 1

I'm with Mike. The Z10 is an awesome wheel and mine has been faultless. Roberace didn't really do a 'few' pendulums, it was quite a few and he was giving it a LOT of stick whilst doing so. And lets not forget how hard he used to ride it with zero issues before the pendulum episode.

The handling is indeed unique and as Mrelwood says, you can and do get used to it but he is right, it will never be as neutral as a 16 or 18x3. That said, I certainly cant prise my Z from my daughter at all, who has now claimed it as hers (and she came from a V5F). She loves it.

Oh and also its still the best sealed wheel out there ;)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Planemo said:

The Z10 is an awesome wheel and mine has been faultless.

2 hours ago, Planemo said:

Oh and also its still the best sealed wheel out there

I can also back up @Planemo's quotes above, having travelled 6,700kms on my Z10 with No Issues!  As we all know, there are owner's out there that have had bad luck with their Z10, but you rarely hear from all the owner's, like myself,  @Planemo and I'm sure many others that have had nothing but a great experience from owning the Zed!  This forum is a great resource for people to gain knowledge from the community, although unfortunately a lot of what circulates on some social media platforms tends to focus too much on the negative, rarely praising the positive!

Edited by fbhb
  • Like 2

Just get one for a good price and good after sales service and that is that.
it is one of the few unicorns of the EUC world.
My friend fried his riding like a donkey. He sent it in for repairs, they repaired it... the end.
He weighs 100kg.. now he has an MSP to ride like a donkey on.
And I mean really no joke... DONKEY!!!!

• Like 1