What are the most powerful USB powered attachable headlights?

Really powerful lights mounted at around your knee areas don't work as well as a moderate hand held flashlight. This is because the lower the flash light to the road, the less light gets reflected back to you. Beyond a certain lowness, all you see is long shadows.

I think the best solution by far is a bicycle flashlight mounted onto the trolley handle that you take off and use when needed. You need the flashlight to be on the wheel so you never forget the light at home.

• Like 1

I see. Thanks. I am looking on the web and there are many models of bike (bolted or clip on) lights that are specifically for bikes. But to attach something like that on a wheel will need some figuring out on how to tape it with duct tape.

• 3 weeks later...

I actually came to the forums tonight to ask the exact same question. So far I this is the best solution I have found:

image.png.2ed0e2e9c29775f3c34701a210ac2ce0.png

It is simply a bike mount holder plus three flash lights I ordered from China and a piece of velcro. The flash lights use stronger 18650 batteries instead of AA/AAA. In theory I have 3000+ lumens, plus the EUC's headlight. But I want more.

41E2MEx4aNL._SY180_.jpg

Each flashlight came with a silver clippy thing you can see if you zoom in. I've used those clips to fasten the extra two flashlights to the bike mount. There is a piece of industrial strength velcro to stabilize it all. You can focus the beam on each flashlight - I usually have two on narrow beam and one on wide. It makes a HUGE difference and I won't ride at night without them.

It's a decent solution but I am looking for a better way, something USB charged and way brighter.

edit: I've ordered one of these, it is supposedly 6800 lumens (but I doubt it), if it's brighter then my current three I'll let ya know

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B01COIJW0Y/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

RioRand Bike Light 6800LM CREE XML 6T6 LED Bicycle Light HeadLight

Edited by Tryptych
  • Like 1

I have this one https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MG7677G.

The attachment point is a standard tri-pod camera mount so I 3D printed a camera mount to adapt it to a go pro mount using a screw.

(https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:991531)

The battery is then stuck onto my Nikola Plus using Velcro.

This bike light is far brighter than the one built into my Nikola and seems to be accurate with the 1200 lumen rating.

Along with this I also carry a flashlight in my hand.

20200707_011603-min.jpg

20200707_011445-min.jpg

20200707_011453-min-min.jpg

Edited by Blank

On 7/6/2020 at 12:44 AM, Tryptych said:

edit: I've ordered one of these, it is supposedly 6800 lumens (but I doubt it), if it's brighter then my current three I'll let ya know

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B01COIJW0Y/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

RioRand Bike Light 6800LM CREE XML 6T6 LED Bicycle Light HeadLight

This arrived today, the good news is that it is tiny, and I'd estimate it is 2-3x brighter then my triple flashlight system. If my flashlights are 3000 lumens I would estimate this is truly the 6800 lumens they advertise. The bad news is it has a battery pack on a cord, something I didn't realize when I ordered it. The pack looks like it contains six 18650 batteries which would explain why its brighter then my three 18650 system:

light.jpg.590d535b37f881c3f5de6afdb2adf883.jpg

Not sure what I'm going to do, it's a really sweet lamp (aspecially for the price) and I like it, and I really want the 6800 lumens, but I definitely don't want the battery pack. Gonna take her out for a spin tonight then decide.

ps: In comparison I'd say the stock V8 lamp puts out 500 lumens at the most (anyone know?), this new lamp is easily 10x stronger

Edited by Tryptych

4 hours ago, Tryptych said:

Not sure what I'm going to do, it's a really sweet lamp (aspecially for the price) and I like it, and I really want the 6800 lumens, but I definitely don't want the battery pack. Gonna take her out for a spin tonight then decide.

I rode for 90 minutes tonight with this new light and I have to say WOW, it is as bright as an automotive light. I think it really is 6800 lumens. It is so bright that I was unintentionally terrifying bike riders in the bike lane by coming up from behind with this thing on - when I lit up the path from behind most of them had to look back to see if a car was about to run them down :)

I am definitely keeping it, I love it. I'm going to order another. What really convinced me was this pouch for the battery pack that they've included which makes it super easy to attach and remove on the handle of a EUC without doing anything permanent:

batterypack1.jpg.ebc5a357c3945c0c66a2282bacd5f8f0.jpg batterypack2.jpg.9cc354bac5732952fb7aadfefe3f62c0.jpg

I just used their strap, plus an extra piece of Velcro for wrapped around the handle for more safety:

light3.jpg.c4eb2eca6b48c320e19befaff17b5c05.jpg

I'll figure out a cleaner way to deal with the wires later. The amount of light I get off this thing is incredible, I took some pics to show you guys but it's really hard to demonstrate in photos just how bright it is. Here's a pic with only the built in V8 lamp on, you can barely see my shadow and the V8's light in the bottom center:

low-light.jpg.0093c191810fac3ae8830607f59845c9.jpg

Here is the same shot with the crazy new beast lamp:

high-light.jpg.152a9258e80c81b727aa6cc699010911.jpg

At C$28 ($20 USD) this is really hard to beat!!! 

To hell with USB!

See if you can mount one of these (Imalent MS18) and get back to us. ;)

(Marketing hype, but certainly bright! You gotta love it when that turbo fan kicks in...)

Edited by RayRay
  • Like 1

I wasn't kidding when I said I was going to buy another:

dual-lamp3.thumb.jpg.520afd9a97be1bc9e9318ad9959e9911.jpgdual-lamp2.thumb.jpg.274b4813c62b6a5f8b85599d62f8d428.jpg

Having two of them on was just a fun experiment since they are so easy to mount and unmount. One is more than enough.

image.png.4e96644c966f60574db710d2e8c40172.png

Riding with two was pretty awesome, especially in darker places like wooded areas. You really have to be careful about not blinding anyone coming towards you. It's way more light then you need but it was a fun experiment, I will stick to using just one.

Here's a quick video:  https://photos.app.goo.gl/oAxEAmF6Lxs1FkXS9

• Like 1

On 7/10/2020 at 9:44 AM, Tryptych said:

I wasn't kidding when I said I was going to buy another:

dual-lamp3.thumb.jpg.520afd9a97be1bc9e9318ad9959e9911.jpgdual-lamp2.thumb.jpg.274b4813c62b6a5f8b85599d62f8d428.jpg

Having two of them on was just a fun experiment since they are so easy to mount and unmount. One is more than enough.

image.png.4e96644c966f60574db710d2e8c40172.png

Riding with two was pretty awesome, especially in darker places like wooded areas. You really have to be careful about not blinding anyone coming towards you. It's way more light then you need but it was a fun experiment, I will stick to using just one.

Here's a quick video:  https://photos.app.goo.gl/oAxEAmF6Lxs1FkXS9

Battery time? Looks bright and nice :)

On 7/15/2020 at 10:39 AM, Boogieman said:

Battery time? Looks bright and nice :)

90min - 120 min on full power. Mostly I just use one in the city, the reason I bought two is for the extra battery pack on longer rides.  But in the country two is perfect, the extra vision makes you a lot safer. It also has a low setting which lasts longer, I use 1 light on low on the bike trails since the high setting was freaking people out too much - they think a motorcycle or something is coming up behind them and keep trying to look over their shoulder :D

Edited by Tryptych

I now think, that for the purpose of not blinding anybody unintentionally, I may go with the hand-held flashlight. I wasn't looking to holding something constantly... it would be annoying and set my balance off... yet I certainly don't want to blind any vehicles ahead of me. I have personally faced getting blinded by other and I know how it feels; they jeopardize my and their safety without even knowing that they are blinding me.... Will probably go with that powerful flash light that was posted. I wish it had a horn.

1 minute ago, jmsjms said:

I now think, that for the purpose of not blinding anybody unintentionally, I may go with the hand-held flashlight. I wasn't looking to holding something constantly... it would be annoying and set my balance off... yet I certainly don't want to blind any vehicles ahead of me. I have personally faced getting blinded by other and I know how it feels; they jeopardize my and their safety without even knowing that they are blinding me.... Will probably go with that powerful flash light that was posted. I wish it had a horn.

Just aim your lights lower and there is no danger of blinding anyone. If you get into a dangerous situation where tenths of a second matter the last thing you want to worry about is holding a flashlight and aiming it.

7 minutes ago, Tryptych said:

Just aim your lights lower and there is no danger of blinding anyone. If you get into a dangerous situation where tenths of a second matter the last thing you want to worry about is holding a flashlight and aiming it.

Aim lower, but what if I want to increase speed and aim the light further ahead of me? Need to react quicker to road debris, dead animals, etc.

i have the same light on my mountain bike and it turns night riding into daylight,the only problem is that it will blind car drivers.It has a very wide spread even when mounted on the handlebars and pointed down. Cars will  highbeam you to get u to dip the light thinking ur a motorbike.But for riding at night,it kills my euc light and Led Lenser handheld torch by miles.

Yeah its not so much the aim, its the diffuse  side spread.Mine is directed down and towards the shoulder of the road but still gets some people.But its fantastic for off-roading because it lights up overhanging branchs and surrounding vegetation which would normally wack u in the head at night because ur looking at the trail/ road.U could turn the power down but that kinda defeats the purpose and u would be constantly doing squats turning it down then up.There is no easy answer,half blind oncoming cars or risk riding with poor visibility??

• 5 months later...