EUC Failure Database

Asphalt

1 hour ago, UniVehje said:

Good idea. But for this information to be useful we would also need sales numbers.

If manufacturers want to supply sales numbers, that's up to them. They might see it in their best interest to justify why there are so many reports for a particular wheel.

There's value in an open dataset (not controlled by manufacturers or dealers) where riders can see what failures have occurred and if trends start to appear. Currently, there's a lot of rumouring and "mis-rememberings" about reliability of particular wheels (often tainted by brand loyalty). An open dataset would enable objective analysis.

Edited by Asphalt
Spelling

Really good topic, more work needs to be done in this area.

Slightly related: the more I read about people having cutouts the more I think these EUCs should have a black box, similar to planes. We should be able to go back and check the speed, acceleration, temp, battery stats etc etc, after a cutout. These black boxes could "phone home" once and a while to create some really useful databases. Of course, getting the companies to share this info is a different story.

board failure for gotways is 10-20% depending on model, battery failures around 1%, motor failures 0.2%, misc component failure 10-15%. 

Anecdotal failure rates while discussing potentially being a gotway vendor. ROI isn’t there unless volumes are very high. 

Edited by Ben Kim

7 hours ago, Tryptych said:

Really good topic, more work needs to be done in this area.

Slightly related: the more I read about people having cutouts the more I think these EUCs should have a black box, similar to planes. We should be able to go back and check the speed, acceleration, temp, battery stats etc etc, after a cutout. These black boxes could "phone home" once and a while to create some really useful databases. Of course, getting the companies to share this info is a different story.

Meh, i dont need no stinking black box. We can already record most data for every ride, BY CHOICE. I'd rather NOT lose my choice to NOT have all my data recorded, especially if it can be used by a 3rd party. My wheel happily operates as a standalone device. Having it talk to the internet on its own, or even track gps data with imbedded hardware, sounds like an infringement to me. Hell, I still drive cars that don't have much logging ability. I sure as hell don't want it on my wheel, reporting to some Chinese company.

Getting help from companies to publish actual failure rates, would be a lawyers dream and a company's nightmare. Getting this data in an unbiased way, when so much $$ and competition is at stake, would be a VERY tough feat. I would LOVE to know the honest failure rate and lack of QC for almost ALL the things I own. So far, I havent seen anyone chomping at the bit to broadcast the figures.

Edited by ShanesPlanet