Best for my 14yr old daughter. EUC or Onewheel?

My daughter and I used to ride bikes together all of the time. I have been riding in the city with her since before she could talk. From baby seat, to trailer bike, to her own. 
Since I’ve gotten my EUC that happens very seldom and we miss the bonding time.

I assumed that the onewheel would be best all things considered. Somewhat safer, slower, learning curve, and cool factor (customization, colors, advertisement, other riders of her age, etc).

Thoughts from riders of both...perhaps parents?

I recommend an EUC. The only con against it is the learning curve, but hey use it as bonding time! 

I ride all the time with my son...

I really am NOT a fan of onewheels and do NOT think they are safer.

I have a neighbor that asked me the same thing around christmas. He ended buying a ninebot S2 off ebay for his granddaughter. He's told me numerous times that it's one of the best purchases he's made since she rides it all the time.

Edited by Evel_Knievel
  • Like 3

I agree. Might not be safer. I think that you are more likely to smack the back of the head with a One Wheel. They are also easier to over power and nose dive. Not to mention you tend to have a blind spot. This is one of those rare times that I suggest a V8.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Ask her what she prefers, EUC or Onewheel.

Just tell her the truth - EUCs are better in every aspect except the ease of learning, so she will take a EUC if she's in doubt - and let her decide.

As for wheels... which one do you have?

I have a 18XL. Actually, when I was first learning to ride she practiced right along with me.

• Like 1

SHe will want to ride what you do... isnt that how kids are? Learning curve should be a NON issue for kids. Or at least when WE were kids, it was moot, as we could do ANYTHING and NOTHING was impossible, EVERYTHING was a challenge, and nothing could hurt us...    I personally chose an euc over OW, as it seemed more reliable, more useful, and safer. Honestly, the learning curve of the two was never a consideration, I had faith in myself for either. Hold her up on your 18 and walk her along. Just like a bicycle, the size of it wont matter once they start moving. Also like a bicycle, you will fear them falling more than they will fear it.

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, General Principle said:

Interesting, for some reason I had it in my mind that while both are risky, that Onewheels are a bit more safe. 

I think its a common assumption. I dont think it is safer. I researched it and concluded that the euc is more reliable with less liklihood to put you on your face. Its an ongoing debate, but dont assume the OW is safer, just because it reminds you of skateboards. type 'One wheel nosedive'  into google and chase the rabbit. Remember, OW is marketing heavy and cult like, so try to form your OWN opinion after more than a few moment research. My friend has a ow and i stood on it and rode it within moments. My EUC took a week or two. I can easily cruise around and my OW friend struggles. He still views a trip as a huge thing to prepare for (ater a year of riding), as i grab mine and go like its just a pair of shoes. No way in hell i'd want to carry his ow around. I just trolley mine where i go. Nobody in the stores notice, most think its luggage.

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 1

Just last night a buddy stopped over to the Bores Nest (my man cave), brought his two One wheels. My neighbor stopped over and called his boy over and his boy, had NEVER ridden a One wheel before, jumped on it and in minutes was going up and down the road out in front of the house. He's 12. Kids learn things rapidly. This kid never fell once and was jumping the thing off the side of my apron in front of Bores Nest. 

The buddy didn't fair to well. After a bottle of sake he decided to go for a cruise on his One Wheel. Well......it limited out and he went ass over tea cup. Bruised his ribs AGAIN. Slept the sake off in the chair while I watched the UFC fights. He was a hurtin unit after he got home. I messed around on it as well and just standing still on it ended up on my ass. Not for me. 

I'll stick with my 18L. Just learning but IMO an EUC is by far the better choice. Again just my opinion but EUC's seem to be safer, are speedier, longer range, and falls off of the one wheels you seem to land in a more injury prone posture. 

As far as wheels, if I was to buy one for a kid, I'd go with Ninebot. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, General Principle said:

Why this over King Song 14D?

Because you say you buy for her not for you. V5F look better like premium product. That is important for girls and teenage mentality. KS14D is price/efectivity winer i know. Girl is just girls.

Tenagers is just tenagers. This is how world work.

If you dont own a OW, buy her a OW....  you know, so you have one around to 'test ride' (for her safety) without it actually being yet another toy of yours?

I vote for OW. It's just more "cool" for kids her age. There's almost 0% chance that a fellow kid will think a OW is lame, while some of them will think the EUC is lame. Knowing how kids are, she might stop riding the EUC if someone gives her a negative comment about it.

Edited by Chaindrop
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, DjPanJan said:

Because you say you buy for her not for you. V5F look better like premium product. That is important for girls and teenage mentality. KS14D is price/efectivity winer i know. Girl is just girls.

Tenagers is just tenagers. This is how world work.

True

2 hours ago, ShanesPlanet said:

If you dont own a OW, buy her a OW....  you know, so you have one around to 'test ride' (for her safety) without it actually being yet another toy of yours?

Hmmm some strategy....lol

3 hours ago, HuskerDawg said:

Just last night a buddy stopped over to the Bores Nest (my man cave), brought his two One wheels. My neighbor stopped over and called his boy over and his boy, had NEVER ridden a One wheel before, jumped on it and in minutes was going up and down the road out in front of the house. He's 12. Kids learn things rapidly. This kid never fell once and was jumping the thing off the side of my apron in front of Bores Nest. 

The buddy didn't fair to well. After a bottle of sake he decided to go for a cruise on his One Wheel. Well......it limited out and he went ass over tea cup. Bruised his ribs AGAIN. Slept the sake off in the chair while I watched the UFC fights. He was a hurtin unit after he got home. I messed around on it as well and just standing still on it ended up on my ass. Not for me. 

I'll stick with my 18L. Just learning but IMO an EUC is by far the better choice. Again just my opinion but EUC's seem to be safer, are speedier, longer range, and falls off of the one wheels you seem to land in a more injury prone posture. 

As far as wheels, if I was to buy one for a kid, I'd go with Ninebot. 

Great story man!

Im up for adoption, man! I remember when getting a used bicycle was a rarity to celebrate. I'm not a teenager, but if you adopt me and buy me an euc, I'll appreciate it MUCH longer. I could also use a new car......Dad.

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 3

18 hours ago, General Principle said:

Interesting, for some reason I had it in my mind that while both are risky, that Onewheels are a bit more safe. 

A OW is the same thing as an EUC, simply a different stance and fatter wheel. They both require power to balance themselves. Exceed their ability to balance and you WILL bust your ass (or face).  Many EUC’s have more power (speed capability) than the OW, so that is safer. They are less likely to cutout/nose dive. The second reason is that all EUC’s that I’m aware of beep as well as tilt back when you get close to exceeding their capabilities. OW only tilts back if I’m not mistaken. For those two reasons an EUC is safer. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Chaindrop said:

I vote for OW. It's just more "cool" for kids her age. There's almost 0% chance that a fellow kid will think a OW is lame, while some of them will think the EUC is lame. Knowing how kids are, she might stop riding the EUC if someone gives her a negative comment about it.

I'm afraid this might be true. Skateboards are cool, i.e. OW's are cool, even cooler perhaps. EUCs are a bit unknown so can turn out to be hit or miss. 

• Like 1

its a sad state of affairs when a personal choice boils down simply to appearance and what OTHERS will think of them. I've never been cool, I guess it was a blessing.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ShanesPlanet said:

its a sad state of affairs when a personal choice boils down simply to appearance and what OTHERS will think of them. I've never been cool, I guess it was a blessing.

That's the ONLY reason I go to the gym and eat right. Gotta look healthy to fornicate unhealthily, kinda hard to pick a Deadly Sin when I'm a fan of them all...

• Like 1