I decided to get a learning EUC first, what next?

btl

Hi everyone,

now that i found _the_ EUC forum, i want to share my thoughts and get some more from you experienced guys/girls. This is gonna be long, skip a bit if you prefer ;-)

Let me introduce myself: My name is Stefan, i am 47 years old and not one of the sporty or athletic guys. I worked as electrician /service technician most of my adult life, but changed to a desktop job 3 years ago and gained an extra few kg in that time. My weight is now around 100kg (220 lbs) and i'm 1.86m tall. My PEV experience is driving eletric skateboard (i had an Elektroskate ES800 and ES600 when they were early in development), like 10 years ago. i sold them after 2 years, when the batteries started to degradate and the replacement almost cost as much as the boards. My wife and me also did some Segway tours in our holidays. I liked the concept of driving it, but, used to go 35km/h on my ES600, the speed was "meh". I also made a few hundred meters on my nephews Hoverboard.

Here in germany it's illegal to drive an EUC (and anything else without classification according to the rules) on public roads, but i have access to a nice windpark on private property with tarmack roads. Also the "Teutoburger Forest" is next to my driveway with lots of forest paths to be explored.

My first contact to EUC riding was because i drive a Tesla Model 3, and youtube decided to show me a video of U-Stride riding on his Gotway Tesla. That was a fun to watch, so youtube gave me more related content, like the channel "isthereanyfood" where Mike (i see you are here too, kudos!) and his lovely wife  Monica cruise Stockholm and the stunning norway scenery. I was hooked: i want that, too! Before i tell my lovely wife that i found a new hobby, i wanted to learn it so far, that it looks at least effortless and safe. Then i'll see if i can get her on the EUC as well. She was scared to see me on my electric skateboard back then, and thinks i'm too old for this stuff. Hell, but i don't feel too old! And its just like the Segway, just half the wheels, double the fun!

Coming to an end with my introduction: i got a Ninebot One S2 with only 240m (yes, not km) on the odometer as my learning wheel and instead of trying to jump on it and learn it fast and hard, i choosed to learn with small steps, day by day.  This worked out nicely, too. I lost the EUC a few times, but never fell. After the 7th day of learning i am now able to ride controlled, the way that i want to go. It does not yet look effortless, but at least it looks like i ride the EUC and not the EUC rides me any longer. Just yesterday i unlocked the restricted mode that locks the Ninebot to max 10km/h. I wanted to master slow driving first, and get faster later. I knew from the beginning that the Ninebot won't be my one and only EUC, i'm just too tall and heavy for it.

I'll keep the Ninebot One as it fits perfectly in the frunk of my Tesla as a last mile solution. It will also be fun for my nephews to ride with me.

So, my new wheel needs to be powerful enough to support a 100kg rider, should have a nice range and be capable of offroad and hill climbing. I am thinking of the Gotway Tesla V2 as it has a fair price/power/range relation, but it may be too small/narrow of a wheel for the hill. The other one i keep an eye on is the Gotway MSX. I'd be open for your thoughts. 

Thanks for reading,

Stefan, aka btl (short for Beetle, my all-time internet nickname)

• Like 3

Get one of the "big boys" (if you can), for the range and overall robustness: Nikola, 16X, 18XL, MSX or MSP.

The 84V MSX or Nikola prices are quite good compared to the others if you want to limit your spending. See here for example (they seem to have some rebate thing going on now til the 23rd?): https://eunicycles.eu/en/ MSX is <1700€ and Nik is <1800€  (but check other places for prices, too, for example 1rad).

The Tesla isn't bad and would certainly work for you, but why go 70% when you can go 100%. You want to explore, you can never have enough range:efefe00999:

• Like 2

@btl Nice introduction and welcome to the forum! I am the OP of the thread @travsformation linked to you. The information I received from the forum members regarding purchasing a wheel was awesome! I purchased a KS-18XL and have been progressing nicely! It's worth read if you have a moment. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

The Tesla isn't bad and would certainly work for you, but why go 70% when you can go 100%. You want to explore, you can never have enough range:efefe00999:

Hehe, yes. I'll save money if i go 100% directly and skip the intermediate step.

@bigwave your thread was the first i read after i registered here :-) lots of valuable info there! 

• Like 3

I am completely on your side. Can you imagine how much money i could have saved if i bought my Tesla Model 3 directly, instead of getting a used Nissan Leaf and then a new Hyundai Ioniq battery electric car as stepping stones? Electric transportation ftw! Legalize it!

Greets,

Stefan

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

For know, with the slow speeds the Ninebot can offer, i wear Inlineskate wristguards, knee and elbow pads, a bicycle helmet and high shaft shoes.

If i ever get a faster wheel (read: as soon as i get it) , a full-face motorcycle helmet and jacket with protectors will be ordered with it.

Edited by btl
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I just ordered a Gotway MSX, standard 84V, 1600Wh. From all the reviews i watched on YT, and the comments i read here, i think its the right wheel for me. I'll go Full-Face Helmet shopping this week. Fun times ahead :-)

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

The MSX has arrived and i got a Fox Proframe full-face helmet, too. The MSX has black pedals now and they lock down stiff enough to be used as a stand, just like MSP does as i saw in the video review. Also the MSX came on the ChaoYang H-666 tire by factory.

msx.thumb.jpg.ebc34c7663823bef536fc98d5404604e.jpg

• Like 1

7 hours ago, btl said:

Also the MSX came on the ChaoYang H-666 tire by factory.

Wow, that's awesome. I just got an 84v MSX from eWheels (came from a KS-14D) and I got the H-5106 tire. The H-666 looks so nice... I went with an LS2 Pioneer motorcycle helmet for the MSX. The Pioneer was $99 on clearance at RevZilla. I don't think the value can be beat.

Edited by raidzero
  • Like 1

@raidzero: the LS2 looks like really good value for $99!

I took the wheel for a first spin up our street and on some gravel and gras and it handles very predictable compared with the Ninebot one (as expected, the one is for sure not meant for offroad...)

The Fox proframe is so light, doesn't affect my breath or sight, so i hope i'll always wear it. Come on, we know ourselfes. When protection gear isn't comfortable, humans tend to not wear it, at work, at sport, at fun.

20200407_111201.jpg

• Like 1

On 4/6/2020 at 3:08 PM, btl said:

The MSX has black pedals now and they lock down stiff enough to be used as a stand, just like MSP does as i saw in the video review. 

The pedals will only do that until they have bedded in.

Theres no way I would trust what is simply a 'sticky pedal' to hold my beautiful MSX face from hard asphalt :)

• Like 1