Using and Installing Helmet Mirrors

Thanks for the video, Marty.  Your tips about using hot glue to secure the mirror inside its housing and the recommendation for 3M dual Lock are especially appreciated.  I got the mirror mounted this afternoon and  then went ahead and added a light to the back of the helmet.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, rainystateguy said:

Thanks for the video, Marty.  Your tips about using hot glue to secure the mirror inside its housing and the recommendation for 3M dual Lock are especially appreciated.  I got the mirror mounted this afternoon and  then went ahead and added a light to the back of the helmet.

Post a picture :popcorn:

And what kind of light did you install?

2 minutes ago, rainystateguy said:

The light may be overkill, and sticks out quite a bit so I am not sure that I will keep it, but it is a Meilan X5 complete with turn signals :)

helmet light.jpg

helmet mirror.jpg

How'd you attach it to your helmet? i've got the same light

8 minutes ago, Brand Don said:

How'd you attach it to your helmet? i've got the same light

At the very back of my helmet there is a little flat lip that faces down, so I was able to screw the mount from the light up into that, and then I reinforced it with hot glue.

39045418_helmetone.jpg.6182c5cb36e3bd00a827145ef3dc8530.jpg

helmet two.jpg

1 hour ago, rainystateguy said:

The light may be overkill, and sticks out quite a bit so I am not sure that I will keep it, but it is a Meilan X5 complete with turn signals :)

helmet light.jpg

helmet mirror.jpg

Yeah, that light is way too big for my tastes. I've seen some guys with really low profile lights which I may try, once I find one.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Blueblade said:

Curious, @Marty Backe , any update on how the 3M dual lock worked out vs. the epoxy?

I hadn't heard of that dual lock material before, looks like a similar but much more secure fastening option than velcro.  I can think of a few places that might be a better alternative to use...

I have been using dual lock for a while and i have not experienced any negatives with it yet. It is super strong and I even use dual lock to secure my go pro to my helmet

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Blueblade said:

Curious, @Marty Backe , any update on how the 3M dual lock worked out vs. the epoxy?

I hadn't heard of that dual lock material before, looks like a similar but much more secure fastening option than velcro.  I can think of a few places that might be a better alternative to use...

I haven't used that helmet yet. But the mirror is still firmly stuck on there. The 3M adhesive on the Dual-Lock is much stronger then typical Velcro adhesive. The Dual-Lock feels much more like a mechanical joint - there's essentially no movement between the two pieces. In contrast, Velcro establishes a more "squishy" joint, and although it may be very strong, the two jointed pieces will move about.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, fryman said:

Installed the nerd mirror. Works well :)

A1048A4B-88A7-4699-BC24-4A2036359278.thumb.jpeg.b6530c69a6ac0540977dcb215bd017a3.jpeg

Nerd mirror? I resemble that remark :rolleyes:

BTW, the 3M Dual Lock that I used on my last helmet (in the video above) is holding strong. So it looks like I don't need to use anything stronger, like epoxy.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Marty Backe said:

Nerd mirror? I resemble that remark :rolleyes:

BTW, the 3M Dual Lock that I used on my last helmet (in the video above) is holding strong. So it looks like I don't need to use anything stronger, like epoxy.

I’m using Dual Lock.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
6 hours ago, PedroTec said:

Hi,

I'm using mirrors on my gloves for some time and it is amazing and is always with me, I just did a post sharing how is it, let me know what do you think.

It's a personal preference. I prefer the helmet mirror since I have near continuous insight into what's happening behind me. Mirrors on the hand/wrist are better than nothing but lack the continuous view.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

The mirror Marty links to under his video on Youtube (Bike Helmet Mirror: https://amzn.to/2OToD1I) is no longer available. I've found some similar looking ones on Amazon and eBay, but just curious if others have recommendations for mirrors they have had really good experiences with (or really bad ones that should be avoided). I've only been riding my first wheel for a week, but I've already found that it'd be really nice to know when bigger vehicles are sneaking up behind me. It would be a delightful added bonus if the tube holding the mirror could shoot darts out the back at the tires of cars going too fast and/or cutting it far too close to me. Just a (nefarious) thought, one I've probably been harboring in the back of my mind from my cycling days. 😏

P.S. - Thanks for another very helpful video Marty!

Edited by FTW
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, FTW said:

The mirror Marty links to under his video on Youtube (Bike Helmet Mirror: https://amzn.to/2OToD1I) is no longer available. I've found some similar looking ones on Amazon and eBay, but just curious if others have recommendations for mirrors they have had really good experiences with (or really bad ones that should be avoided). I've only been riding my first wheel for a week, but I've already found that it'd be really nice to know when bigger vehicles are sneaking up behind me. It would be a delightful added bonus if the tube holding the mirror could shoot darts out the back at the tires of cars going too fast and/or cutting it far too close to me. Just a (nefarious) thought, one I've probably been harboring in the back of my mind from my cycling days. 😏

P.S. - Thanks for another very helpful video Marty!

It's frustrating that these mirrors keep disappearing. You can see that there are many different models available on Amazon and they all share the same basic design and hardware.

The only question I have is the type of mirror. I really like the slightly convex mirrors instead of the flat mirrors but you can't tell from the description which mirror type is supplied.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Marty Backe said:

.....I really like the slightly convex mirrors instead of the flat mirrors but you can't tell from the description which mirror type is supplied.

I finally found a convex mirror on eBay but it didn't come in its original packaging so I don't know the brand.

I'm using it on my Scorpion EXO AT950.  I just knew the visor would come in handy for something.

Bruce

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, PennBruce said:

I finally found a convex mirror on eBay but it didn't come in its original packaging so I don't know the brand.

I'm using it on my Scorpion EXO AT950.  I just knew the visor would come in handy for something.

Bruce

Do you like your AT950? I really like mine.

2 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Do you like your AT950? I really like mine.

I do.  When I used to ride motorcycles I had a Nolan.  The AT950 is as good at half the price.

BTW, the eBay seller that I purchased my mirror from has additional units available. My only criticism is that the mirror is not as clear as a flat mirror.  But as you have pointed out in a previous post, we only need to see that something is behind us.  Make, model and license plate number is not necessary. 

Each of my three helmets has a different type of mirror.  

Here's the eBay listing: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Bicycle-Helmet-Riding-Mirror-Flexible-360-Degree-Adjustable-Rear-View-Mirror/164005938821?hash=item262f840685:g:T80AAOSwQLVeBMxH

Bruce

Edited by PennBruce
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, PennBruce said:

I do.  When I used to ride motorcycles I had a Nolan.  The AT950 is as good at half the price.

BTW, the eBay seller that I purchased my mirror from has additional units available. My only criticism is that the mirror is not as clear as a flat mirror.  But as you have pointed out in a previous post, we only need to see that something is behind us.  Make, model and license plate number is not necessary. 

Each of my three helmets has a different type of mirror.  

Here's the eBay listing: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Bicycle-Helmet-Riding-Mirror-Flexible-360-Degree-Adjustable-Rear-View-Mirror/164005938821?hash=item262f840685:g:T80AAOSwQLVeBMxH

Bruce

Thanks for the link.

I also just found (on Amazon) the same mirror (I think) from China (based on the delivery time). I can get two for $8. I'm going to buy a couple as a test to see if they are indeed the same.