GPS tracker (add-on inside the wheel, model specific)

• Unventor featured and unfeatured this topic

Awesome, I was searching for something like this. I've read that most cheap "gps trackers" don't have a real gps but use gsm network to estimate your location.
I think I'll buy one for my motorcycle, I bet the main unit runs on 5V or 12V and the conversion will be easy.

7 hours ago, Unventor said:

Also I cant see if you connect this on battery wires or motor wires. If it is on battery side it could potentionally drain it dead, I guess. If it is on motor side side it could impact performance or? 

The connection is at the battery side. So the possibilites to switch the tracker to standby and the standby power consumption is of interest.

Also possibilities to export the gps data to gpx, etc...

• Like 1

@Sebado you know anything about the tracker? I mean it kinda goes a bit hand in hand with your logging in euc.world? 

11 minutes ago, Unventor said:

@Sebado you know anything about the tracker? I mean it kinda goes a bit hand in hand with your logging in euc.world? 

It's possible that I'll get one for testing.

Ahh please let's us know more if that happens. Do you know what the yearly fee is after first year? 

I was talking about this since i joined back in November 2015, and i also started a thread for rpi mods etc, but no-one cared :'( 

anyway, i found out from my best friend @Χρήστος Γεωργαμπλοπουλος that Vodafone Greece sells a device that is powered by usb and lasts about two days that costs about 10~12€/month that is a realtime tracker.

The device seams ready to be pluged but you can find cheaper ones on ebay/banggood/gearbest, but then you'll need to get power to it from a circut that doesn't need it, like in MSX or other that have a usb power, power bypass of the usb port from the inside and you can use it for even bt speaker that he MSX doesn't have.

In my case with the Z10 was a matter of where to fit the darn thing and how to power it. 

On 1/25/2020 at 10:33 PM, Seba said:

It's possible that I'll get one for testing.

I'd be open to buy one if it possible to use it with EUC World. I sent a mail to the dealer with some questions:

• You mention on the product page that first year subscription is included. What's the price after one year? Are there free options?
  • How do I connect to the device? Bluetooth? Wifi? Web page?  
  • Is it possible to use the tracker without subscription? Directly connect to my mobile phone or similar?
  • What kind of GPS systems does this device support?  GLONASS, BDS, GALILEO, SBAS?
  • Does it support A-GPS?
  • How is it turned on/off? Can I select when I want to track my trips or is it always on?
  • How much power does it draw?
  • Do you send to Norway? Is VAT included?

• Like 1

I got a response. Answers in green:

Sorry but we still waiting for ENG description of product. Should be today or tomorrow at last.

• You mention on the product page that first year subscription is included. What's the price after one year? Are there free options?
    After 1 year you have free account (data history from last 7 days)
  • How do I connect to the device? Bluetooth? Wifi? Web page?
    You can setup options by SMS commands. Connection to the server (http://mobitracking.pl/) is via 3G data transfer.
  • Is it possible to use the tracker without subscription? Directly connect to my mobile phone or similar?
    No, the tracker have to be connected to the server where the data are collected.
  • What kind of GPS systems does this device support?  GLONASS, BDS, GALILEO, SBAS?
    It is american GPS
  • Does it support A-GPS?
    Unfortunately not. Coordicates are accurated after around 1-3 minutes.
  • How is it turned on/off? Can I select when I want to track my trips or is it always on?
    There is special module with vibration sensor. When EUC is moving it turn on the GPS, when EUC is stay on place, after 30 minutes GPS is off.
    Around 0.4W
  • Do you send to Norway? Is VAT included?
    This is a problem. The custom clearance is very complicated and cost us a lot of effort. But we can try.

Edited by EldARon
  • Like 2

Ref. the answer I got from dealer. This put's the product in the same category as Pebble. If they stop supporting it; i.e. go bankrupt, sold etc The product will not work unless someone makes a hack.

I'm not sure if I would buy it now...

Got another response.They said that they where looking into working with @Seba for an integration into EUC World.

Edited by EldARon
Added response from dealer that thy where looking into working with Seba for integration with EUC World.
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, EldARon said:
    There is special module with vibration sensor. When EUC is moving it turn on the GPS, when EUC is stay on place, after 30 minutes GPS is off.
    Around 0.4W

In operation hopefully?! That's about 300Wh per month.

For use with an EUC that should be considerable less... Edit: for standby mode, i forgot to write

Edited by Chriull

Our GPS tracker don't have the ENG description. It should be appear in 1-2 days.

The GPS module is the standard product from China what is important it is additional module which is the power manager.

The features of power manager module:

Vibration sensor check the movement so when the module feel vibration it's turn on the GPS, when the vibrations stops the module turns off in 30 minutes since last vibration detecton. In the case when the EUC is in the car trunk it's also collecting GPS data (can be helpful agains the thieves)

- Voltage measurement constantly check the battery condition. When is less then 10% it turns off the GPS module permanently. The measurements are making in the huge averange so the short peak of low voltage doesn't mean turn off action on GPS module

- Polimer fuse - in case of unforeseen circumstances of shortcut (very low probablity but always is)

In standby mode the whole module takes less then 50mW, so it drain fully charged 1600Wh battery in aproximately 3.5 year

In active mode the module takes averange 0.4W. Means it drain battery 0.1% more then without GPS.

Premium account means unlimited data storage. After one year the data is limited to last 7 days.

Maybe @Seba will add the option to collect data from our GPS module to his EUC World project. This need only send SMS to the module about other server address and port, the rest is on the server side.

Edited by EUniCycles.eu
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, EUniCycles.eu said:

Maybe @Seba will add the option to collect data from our GPS module to his EUC World project. This need only send SMS to the module about other server address and port, the rest is on the server side.

That's interesting. Well, let's see what @Seba thinks.

@EUniCycles.eu Since it uses 3G. I guess we have to get a SIM for it? 

OK, I received this tracker from eunicycles.eu for testing. As I have to replace worn tire in my KS-18XL and make a general inspection, it's a good opportunity to also install this GPS tracker inside my wheel, make some tests and implement EUC World integration. From informations I received from Ryszard it won't be a problem to integrate it with EUC World online service. Of course, it won't be possible to track tours with this tracker alone in the same way we can with mobile app, but for anti-theft and general tracking it will be enough.

This tracker is in fact a Secumore G900 tracker that is specially prepared for "plug & play" installation and safe use in EUC. It has been equipped with additional electronic circuit that prevents from uncontrolled discharging of EUC battery. It works by turning device off when battery voltage drops below some value, so it protects battery from deep discharge. More, it's equipped with special pass-through cable that is connected between one of EUC batteries and control board. Thanks to this all you have to do is to disconnect one of the batteries and connect this device between this battery and control board. Cable build quality is good. It should withstand battery currents without any problem.

That's all for now. I will post more informations when I mount it inside my wheel and get it working  There are two cons I'm aware of now. First, seems that this is 2G only device, so your network have to support it. Second, to install SIM card inside this tracker you have to unscrew top part of enclosure. Removing sliding cover is not enough. It's a minor thing though.

EDIT: I was wrong :) You just slide the SIM metal tab so it opens. SIM installation is easy and doesn't need unscrewing anything.

IMG_20200201_203039.thumb.jpg.a624585b45a668f6a1d47ba6af325964.jpg

IMG_20200201_203218.thumb.jpg.5cd504c256ac4e57900eb296c2ada1c7.jpg

IMG_20200201_203604.thumb.jpg.da68f733ebdf6be193381fcc2cfe5f1b.jpg

Edited by Seba
  • Like 2

Thank @Seba for this first up review. But this means you still a simcard with some level of data plan as you need to send off data.

It was that type of subscription I were referring to in my initial post. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Unventor said:

Thank @Seba for this first up review. But this means you still a simcard with some level of data plan as you need to send off data.

It was that type of subscription I were referring to in my initial post. 

Yes, it does need a SIM card, but you can use cheap prepaid card with very small data plan that usually is already included. For antitheft purposes it's enough that position report is sent with one minute interval (or even two minutes). This should cause minimal use of data. I will however test in in practice and let you know later.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Lefteris said:

The thing is that anything that costs more than 5€/m for the data plan is expensive for the an everyday euc owner. 

For now I bought a cheap Orange prepaid card for 5 PLN (little more than 1 EUR). I extended validity period to one year that costed me 2 PLN (~0.5 EUR), then topped up with 50 PLN (~12 EUR). Each 100 kB costs 0.01 PLN, so I can transfer 520 MB without any bonus data plan I got when topping up. 520 MB may seem small, but exchanging of ~1KB packet data per minute will result in monthly use of 43 MB. So 52 PLN / 12 EUR should be enough for entire year of operation. I think it's very reasonable cost.

• Like 3

Meantime I installed it in my KS-18XL. More info to come in next few days. Installation was easy.

IMG_20200202_194608.thumb.jpg.d75f9ed7d8047fdcd32150600a23ff60.jpg

• Like 3