I have a great wife!! Thanks to the people that put up with us!!

RockyTop

14 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

My wife went on disability 6 weeks ago and I have been doing everything in my power to help her recuperate. See doesn't like all of my attention but

I somehow managed to miss this post. I wish her a swift recovery!

As to her not liking all of your attention, please tell me you didn't set up the synthabeam in the bedroom to keep her entertained... :facepalm::efee612b4b:

• Like 3

( Lost Quote from two earlier here) 

@travsformation :roflmao: Nailed it!!!! ...... except for the weirdos and misfits comment. ....... Come on!!!  ...... I am one of you!  ..... I’m not normal!!  

Sorry about the Alexa, I don’t have one.  I have an Ivan, He is great except that he is always spying on the NSA. 

Edited by RockyTop
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, General Principle said:

Ahh boy. It’s amazing how those firmly entrenched in the dominant culture, class etc clutches their pearls...aghast, whenever an alternative is brought to their attention. Then go into the endless “whatboutisms” smh

I even saw the words “why should we sacrifice” and “no known victims” 🤦🏾‍♂️

FTR no one spoke of the OP’s intent. It’s about simply being aware. Malintent  doesn’t have to be present for actions or words to be potentially dividing or make other feel like they don’t belong. 

I just want any and everyone to feel a part of this. And for those on the outside looking in, feel like they’d be welcome. 

Language and word choices are subtle and powerful. 

This kind of reminds me of a mini controversy on the FB page about who to ban and why.  🤔

I see you type all your replies in English.  Let’s be inclusive and not presumptive by making sure to post French, German, and Spanish versions of your comment.  /s

OP isn't excluding people and neither is your English text.  You needn't be burdened to make your words as accessible as possible to others unless it brings you personal satisfaction to do so.  Readers translate your words into what's relevant for them - They are real, capable people with brains.

I think it's condescending to treat marginalized groups like softies you need to protect.  As an example,  the several gay men I know are smart enough to read the word "wife" and translate it into a relevant term without feeling personally attacked.  The energy you're misreading as "pearl clutching" is pushback against your soft condescension and low expectations of a fictional victim with imaginary feelings of exclusion that you've generated in your mind.

Language and word choices are subtle and powerful.  Agreed.

Two other things:

1. The dominant culture where I live is one that aligns with your sensibilities, and that applies to most major metro areas.  Your whole 'pearl clutching', 'dominant culture', 'alternative ideas' construction is 100% off the mark.  Your profiling ability is not good.

2. I don't know what you're talking about with the banning stuff.  Are you suggesting a ban?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, travsformation said:

Mr. Brad, your balanced and eloquent comments are always a joy to read! I particularly enjoyed the vivid image that the line-drawing and sword-rattling evoked! (Speaking of which: guilty as charged...:))

@travsformation - thanks for the kind words. Made my day! Even a broken clock is right twice a day though! :)

• Like 2

11 hours ago, travsformation said:

someone suggested I should refer to you as "my partner"

I could be wrong, but I don't think anybody suggested this.

I thought we all agree that because his partner is a wife he can refer to his partner as wife. That is even politically correct :)

Edited by Mono
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, RockyTop said:

You have deeply offered me with the use of the word “Bastardized”. I could not control the actions of my parents, yet I have to suffer the consequences of their actions. Such flagrant use of such a word is deeply disturbing and unacceptable. I don’t think you can even begin to understand the depth of the distress you have put me in. And such speech while preaching about inclusion. :furious:  Disgraceful. :facepalm:

I am joking... but what if I wasn’t?  I was truly a fatherless child though, I chose not to be offered because there was no malice or intent. I know that you were not targeting me personally. ......... 

In keeping with your hypothetical, that would be a classic example of whataboutism. Whataboutisms flattens moral nuances into a black and white world view. 

But, yeah...

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, RockyTop said:

You have deeply offered me with the use of the word “Bastardized”. I could not control the actions of my parents, yet I have to suffer the consequences of their actions. Such flagrant use of such a word is deeply disturbing and unacceptable. I don’t think you can even begin to understand the depth of the distress you have put me in. And such speech while preaching about inclusion. :furious:  Disgraceful. :facepalm:

I am joking... but what if I wasn’t?  I was truly a fatherless child though, I chose not to be offered because there was no malice or intent. I know that you were not targeting me personally. ......... 

You'd stayed out of this so far...are you trying to prove that you belong with the weirdos and misfits? :P

Also: now that you've entered the debate, does that mean I can quit repressing my urges to jump back into the discussion and (hopefully) impose my world view on everyone else? (by force, if necessary) :efee612b4b:

Fatherless child here too, BTW, and born out of wedlock. I've been called a bastard more times than I can count, but I don't think it has anything to do with that...(refer to the sentence above for a possible explanation) :efee612b4b:

Edited by travsformation
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, General Principle said:

In keeping with your hypothetical, that would be a classic example of whataboutism. Whataboutisms flattens moral nuances into a black and white world view. 

But, yeah...

Welcome to the forum :thumbup:

Hi, I’m  Rocky Top. I can be direct but I mean well and I never wish Ill will on anyone. I don’t hate and couldn’t carry a grudge to save my life. I don’t understand everything, but that doesn’t mean I don’t care.

You have a friend in me. I believe you have a MSX? Any trouble with the pedals? They keep bending on mine. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, travsformation said:

You'd stayed out of this so far...are you trying to prove that you belong with the weirdos and misfits? :P

Also: now that you've entered the debate, does that mean I can quit repressing my urges to jump back into the discussion and (hopefully) impose my world view on everyone else? (by force, if necessary) :efee612b4b:

Fatherless child here too, BTW, and born out of wedlock. I've been called a bastard more times than I can count, but I don't think it has anything to do with that...(refer to the sentence above for a possible explanation) :efee612b4b:

LOL, :D Don’t worry,  I am definitely a misfit. At work I am a go between. I have to keep the super brains  with sharp tongues from getting killed by the skilled labor. I really thought they would be smarter about that. I have the unique ability to speak both languages and don’t fit in with either. :confused1:  

I have been called every name in the book. ... and they keep adding more.:confused1::shock2: 

If I am a useless F$&@ing bastard would that make me self perpetuating? 

My friend’s mother calls him a SOB. Who is shy trying to insult? 

Edited by RockyTop
  • Like 1