A few KS16S questions

mike_bike_kite

Just got my new wheel. Love it. It seems to haul my 96Kg around with barely a care but I do have a few questions:

• Obviously bumps and inclines alter things but am I OK to set the max tilt back speed at 35kph or am I getting too close to the edge?
  • What should I set the other speed alerts to?
  • The tilt back seemed fairly gentle to me but I'd heard that KS tilt back was very abrupt. Is this another type of tilt back I've yet to experience?
  • Any idea what PSI would be best for me?
  • I tried the different riding modes but quite liked the middle setting - is there any advantage in using the higher setting? or lower setting?
  • Can I get it so all the lights (front, back and side) go out while I'm walking the wheel?
  • Can I turn the side lights off while riding? (I'm OK with the battery level showing when stopped)
  • I have size 10 feet and the pedals are OK but larger ones would be nice - do the standard 18L or 18XL pedals fit and are they bigger? too big?

Mike

8 hours ago, mike_bike_kite said:

Just got my new wheel. Love it. It seems to haul my 96Kg around with barely a care but I do have a few questions:

• Obviously bumps and inclines alter things but am I OK to set the max tilt back speed at 35kph or am I getting too close to the edge?

One can overlean the 16S below 35 kph with high burdens. If one keeps burden (acceleration, ...) low at higher speeds 35 kph are "safe".

•  
  • The tilt back seemed fairly gentle to me but I'd heard that KS tilt back was very abrupt. Is this another type of tilt back I've yet to experience?

If one approaches tiltback speed with low acceleration tiltback sets in very gentle, if one accelerates fast it kicks like hell.

• I tried the different riding modes but quite liked the middle setting - is there any advantage in using the higher setting? or lower setting?

Not really - is personal preference. Harder modes (could) use a bit more battery.

• Like 3

Congrats on the nee wheel!

It’s not the speed that kills, but the landing... ;)

As long as you take a habit of never accelerating abruptly at high speeds, the 35km/h is just fine for the 16S.

I used the 16S in medium mode for a year. I weighed around 92kg at the time. No issues there. But especially when offroading, the hard mode climbs over obstacles easier. Though it decreased the range worth 10% for me.

Wherever you want. If you want warnings a bit before tilt back, set them accordingly. For fewest beeps set the first two to zero (=off) and the third to 35km/h as well.

It differs slightly with different firmware versions, but the abrupt 16S tilt-back requires an abrupt acceleration into the tilt-back speed. If you always reach the tilt-back speed slowly, the tilt-back will always be gentle.

I made a calculator you cand find in the downloads section that should get you started. I think I ran mine at 3.4 bars. 

Not really, if you liked the medium the most. Maybe try again in a few months to see if your flavour has changed.

I don’t remember about the current sidelight options, but at some point it was no longer possible to have the lights dark while riding, and battery level when stationary. 

• I have size 10 feet and the pedals are OK but larger ones would be nice - do the standard 18L or 18XL pedals fit and are they bigger? too big?

Large pedals will hit ground and obstacles easier on a 16” wheel than on an 18” one, but my DIY pedals on the 16S are larger than the XL pedals, and I’ve had no issues.

• Like 2

As said before,fast acceleration into the tiltback will scare the bejeezus outta you,slow acceleration into the tiltback is like a butterfly kissing a baby.I ride at 50 psi for 110 kg rider on road but drop it abit for offroad stuff.My tiltback is set at 30kmh to give some breathing space and a safety margin.I have just put on the 18XL pedals after 1500ks and though they give you room to move around on the pedals ,ive found that my feet are getting sore as my stance changes as there is more room to stand differently.XL pedals easy to fit at about $100/pair.I ride on hard /experient mode as it accelerates and brakes harder.

Get a bodyguard from the @fatunicyclist to keep it in mint condition if ur going to bash it up a bit.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, mike_bike_kite said:

• Can I get it so all the lights (front, back and side) go out while I'm walking the wheel?
  • Can I turn the side lights off while riding? (I'm OK with the battery level showing when stopped)

Mike

I'm 110kg, 16s was my main wheel over the summer, still my main indoor wheel.
I turn off all but the 3rd alarm which is set to 35kmh along with tiltback.
Tiltback can definitely be quite abrupt and a bit scary when it happens.
I do 35 psi, you can tell when it is too low when the wheel starts feeling oddly difficult to control.
I've ridden with both big pedals and little ones on the 16s, I actually prefer the smaller ones.
Not sure about the lights questions, I've never had occasion to adjust them.

I always ride in hard mode; I  find the other modes squishy and unsettling.

Edited by winterwheel
  • Like 1