Advice on first EUC for a larger person

Gwila

22 minutes ago, Gwila said:

Very good points @mrelwood & @Mono

I was planning on speed limiting low (10-15kmh) for a while and slowly increasing it. 
I just want the option in future to up the speed when I increase my commute distance without needing to buy a new wheel. 

I still have motorcycle protection gear that I'm planning on using with when I get started. 

I'm not sure it's possible to ride as slow as 15km/h :)

I think you'll stick to that limit for about 30-seconds

• Like 3

On 12/23/2019 at 11:02 PM, Marty Backe said:

Nice explanation :cheers: 

The disadvantage of being a lightweight is that I can't experience the joys of overpowering a KingSong wheel :ph34r:

i weigh 10 lbs more than you and i can overpower a kingsong wheel... 

OP: If you want to make one solid purchase and have it future proofed with TONS of headroom and range, I would eliminate everything except 100V Gotway wheels. 

Just because a 100V wheel can do 40mph/65kmh does not mean you need to use it at all times. However it is nice to have that reserve in the tank to accommodate for extended range rides and assure your face won’t meet pavement at 30 mph. 

• Like 3

Hey @Gwila!

I'm late to this party, but my stats are almost identical to yours (other than the age bit), so if you still have questions, feel free to ask.

My general answer for a rider of our stature is - go with an 18" wheel - so think KS-18L/XL or an MSX... There are 16" wheels out there that will provide enough power for you to ride, but you will not really feel comfortable on anything less than an 18".

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Gwila said:

Thanks @The Fat Unicyclist.

I think the MSX Is where I want to be when I’m an experienced rider. 
Since I’m a newb who hasn’t ridden before I don’t want to go all in just yet though. So I’m gonna pickup a 18L today. It’s almost $1k cheaper than the MSX, and I figure it will make a good backup wheel if I upgrade in future and for now I’ll just stick to short rides and not going too fast :) 

The 18L is a great wheel. No regrets here! :thumbup:

I usually enjoy the MSX more yet after a long day of hard work I enjoy the XL more. Just don’t tell anyone that. I have a bit of a MSX bias reputation to uphold. 

They make nice protective cover for the 18L. I used a similar less quality product on my 16s and it worked well. I have the quality version on my XL even though I don’t crash the XL. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Gwila said:

Thanks @The Fat Unicyclist.

I think the MSX Is where I want to be when I’m an experienced rider. 
Since I’m a newb who hasn’t ridden before I don’t want to go all in just yet though. So I’m gonna pickup a 18L today. It’s almost $1k cheaper than the MSX, and I figure it will make a good backup wheel if I upgrade in future and for now I’ll just stick to short rides and not going too fast :) 

You're welcome... And I am confident that you will absolutely love it !

13 hours ago, RockyTop said:

I usually enjoy the MSX more yet after a long day of hard work I enjoy the XL more. Just don’t tell anyone that. I have a bit of a MSX bias reputation to uphold. 

While I'm tempted to rip on you, I have to agree... The natural feel of the 18L makes riding it simply effortless - and one of the best ways to release those endorphins and smile!   :D

13 hours ago, RockyTop said:

They make nice protective cover for the 18L. I used a similar less quality product on my 16s and it worked well. I have the quality version on my XL even though I don’t crash the XL. 

Thanks for the shout-out @RockyTop !

As you are "fresh", @Gwila, let me add a bit more detail to this... A while back I co-founded an EUC shop called Roll.nz, which subsequently developed the EUC Bodyguard - a protective cover designed to prevent damage to your EUC when the inevitable eventually happens - and coincidentally they provide enhanced grip for better control too.

Until now, the EUC Bodyguard is available for King Song wheels only, as these were the wheels that were stocked by Roll.nz. But what @RockyTop doesn't know is that something has happened at Roll.nz, as can be seen here - new to Roll.nz - Right now, this means that New Zealand riders now have more EUC options available,  but going forward could this mean there will be more EUC Bodyguard options available???   :shock2:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

Until now, the EUC Bodyguard is available for King Song wheels only, as these were the wheels that were stocked by Roll.nz. But what @RockyTop doesn't know is that something has happened at Roll.nz, as can be seen here - new to Roll.nz -

:cheers:  

3 hours ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

going forward could this mean there will be more EUC Bodyguard options available???   :shock2:

:dribble:Awesome!   

• Like 1

On 12/25/2019 at 7:01 AM, Marty Backe said:

I'm not sure it's possible to ride as slow as 15km/h :)

I think you'll stick to that limit for about 30-seconds

@Marty Backe you sir, were correct!!

First day I was commuting I was speed limited to 20km/h and it was painful... now it’s pretty comfortable doing 30kmh+

• Like 3

On 1/9/2020 at 4:02 AM, Gwila said:

@Marty Backe you sir, were correct!!

First day I was commuting I was speed limited to 20km/h and it was painful... now it’s pretty comfortable doing 30kmh+

Just like a bicycle, a minimum speed is required to achieve a simpler balance. Remember when we first rode a bike and wobbled and wobbled? Only once we got confident enough to pedal a little faster, did it start to make sense. I am new to all of this, but i became smoother at speeds 10mph+ and really love the 15mph range. Even tho I can go faster, I seem to enjoy less wind noise, the calmness and the adrenaline of a mere 18mph (still faster than a runout is). NO big deal to go faster, but man the feel of carving reminds me of a perfect day at the slopes on my board. I wouldnt be shocked if 18mph was my fav boarding speed too. At any rate, Im a couple+ weeks and nearing 100miles on my 18L. I freaking LOVE it and am finally getting stable at speeds UNDER 10mph too. Funny how slower came later than 15mph+.  Dont worry, the speed limit KS imposes is short lived and it gives you a goal at least. Makes you want to ride it to get that speed limit removed, then you keep riding it cause you fell in love.  I only weigh 140lbs or so, and i surely hope the difference in that, doesnt make a difference in how we both can enjoy it. Fwiw, I HAVE pushed an incline so steep the wheel couldnt keep up. Of course, it was a hard hill/road to even walk up. Keep us posted on how your progress goes!!

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 1