Tesla, what's a realistic lifespan?

alcatraz

Hi

I'm riding Inmotion's and I often see them for sale at 10-15k km and they are still working. They are kind of like work horses.

I'm curious about the tesla. What's a realistic life expectancy for a tesla? I'm 65kg and an experienced rider. I don't do stunts or ride stairs, go over drops and such. (That just reduces euc life).

Does the motor or bearings implode after 5000km or what? Do control boards start acting up after 10kkm?

(Batteries do not concern me.)

Thx

Edited by alcatraz

While batteries - like all the other parts as well - should last a very long time on EUCs, my wheels have required mostly battery repairs once they get a year or more of (very) active usage. I have of course tried to handle them with the best of my knowledge, but for some reason they still seem to die a bit young.

Regarding the expected lifetime of a Tesla though, unless you crash the shell badly enough, I believe @meepmeepmayer is correct in that wanting to buy a new wheel is the most probable reason for shelving the Tesla.

Edited by mrelwood
  • Like 2

As an owner of the original Tesla, it's still going strong. I know people who have put a lot more than 5000-km on theirs.

Realistically, the tire (and tube) are the only consumables in the our wheels (including the Tesla).

As stated above, most wheels will outlive your interest in riding them.

• Like 3

Right now I'm at a crossroad. Either I keep the V8 that has several cracks (siliconed up, confirmed dry in pouring rain) or upgrade to something heavier (which I prefer not to own). Only the tesla comes to mind.

I'd go from 14-15 to 19kg and probably ride the tesla until it starts to fall apart. :D

It does worry me though that I don't _really_ need to upgrade and that I'm going to hit the lifespan limits of these things soon.

I like the safety aspect of riding a tesla at max 35km/h which leaves me ample power reserves but I'm not sure the thing would stay water resistant for more than a few tumbles. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, alcatraz said:

Right now I'm at a crossroad. Either I keep the V8 that has several cracks (siliconed up, confirmed dry in pouring rain) or upgrade to something heavier (which I prefer not to own). Only the tesla comes to mind.

I'd go from 14-15 to 19kg and probably ride the tesla until it starts to fall apart. :D

It does worry me though that I don't _really_ need to upgrade and that I'm going to hit the lifespan limits of these things soon.

I like the safety aspect of riding a tesla at max 35km/h which leaves me ample power reserves but I'm not sure the thing would stay water resistant for more than a few tumbles. 

The objective is not to tumble your wheel ;)

Unless your tumbles are of such a nature that you are cracking the shell, I can't see it falling apart.

Perhaps keep your V8 until you are past the stage of crashing your wheel, and then upgrade.

13 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

The objective is not to tumble your wheel ;)

Unless your tumbles are of such a nature that you are cracking the shell, I can't see it falling apart.

Perhaps keep your V8 until you are past the stage of crashing your wheel, and then upgrade.

The cracks came from one high speed crash not having enough power. The tesla would solve that issue. It's the reason why I covet it. :)

Other than that it's just a few minor tumbles at walking speed trying to pass some odd obstacles. 

I'm at the point where I tumble less than once in 5000km. (at speeds above walking speed)

Thanks for your input Marty.

• Like 1

I have the same question. The older Tesla models were supposed to have very weak shells with the screws of the side panels going straight into the plastic of the main body. In an impact, the connection would break the plastic that held on the sides which left riders taping their outer shells to hold them on. The V8 is also renowned for it's waterproofing while the older Tesla models aren't. @Marty Backehow do the screws connect on the new Tesla V2 and does it seem stronger? It seems weird though because the Tesla is supposed to be the continuation from the ACM which was always described as a tank. Also, has the Tesla V2's waterproofing been improved at all? Probably difficult to test in California though. Also, has Gotway stuck with their shim axle attachments?  that might not bother alcatraz at 65Kg but I'm 96Kg so I'd guess I'd have to check the shims more regularly.

@alcatraz If your main criteria is reliability then wouldn't a KS16S or the new V8F be a better bet? 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

I know people who have put a lot more than 5000-km on theirs.

:efefa6edcf:  I was waiting to see if you were going to say that YOU had put that many miles on any one wheel.  Once you get what you want from a wheel it is off to the next conquest. :whistling:

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, RockyTop said:

:efefa6edcf:  I was waiting to see if you were going to say that YOU had put that many miles on any one wheel.  Once you get what you want from a wheel it is off to the next conquest. :whistling:

Unfortunately (or fortunately) I don't think I've ever put more than 1500-miles on any one wheel yet. I'm not an extreme mile guy like a lot of you are. I figure I have at least 12,000-miles under my belt. But I have so many wheels that it all gets divided up amongst them.

So I stick with others peoples experience regarding how particular wheels hold up. Seems to me that I've met or know people that have put extreme miles on just about every wheel you can imagine. The tire is the only thing that wears out.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, mike_bike_kite said:

I have the same question. The older Tesla models were supposed to have very weak shells with the screws of the side panels going straight into the plastic of the main body. In an impact, the connection would break the plastic that held on the sides which left riders taping their outer shells to hold them on. The V8 is also renowned for it's waterproofing while the older Tesla models aren't. @Marty Backehow do the screws connect on the new Tesla V2 and does it seem stronger? It seems weird though because the Tesla is supposed to be the continuation from the ACM which was always described as a tank. Also, has the Tesla V2's waterproofing been improved at all? Probably difficult to test in California though. Also, has Gotway stuck with their shim axle attachments?  that might not bother alcatraz at 65Kg but I'm 96Kg so I'd guess I'd have to check the shims more regularly.

@alcatraz If your main criteria is reliability then wouldn't a KS16S or the new V8F be a better bet? 

I only own a V1. I've dropped it many times in the mountains. There have been no signs of it being a weak shell. ALL Gotway wheels until very recently have only used screws that are secured into plastic, including the ACM "tank".

I don't think the Tesla was ever meant to be the continuation of the ACM. They share nothing.

All Gotway wheels use the same axle-shim arrangement.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, mike_bike_kite said:

You make a good point. Those wheels are among the top for long lifespan.

I had only one severe crash and it was because of lack of power (and my own stupidity thinking the wheel has a huge safety margin that we can utilize).

It did get me thinking that power is quite a safety concern. You can also argue that a tesla should be able to stop a lot faster from any given speed because it's got more power (to brake) than those other wheels.

So in a way I'm oddly looking at the tesla for safety. How ironic...

I just don't want it to be "end of life" after 10kkm. If I get one I'd like to ride it until I feel like uprgrading, which given that the wheel is an upgrade, could be at 20kkm or more. 😥

Edited by alcatraz

2 hours ago, alcatraz said:

It did get me thinking that power is quite a safety concern.

It definitely is! Especially for heavier riders.

2 hours ago, alcatraz said:

I just don't want it to be "end of life" after 10kkm. If I get one I'd like to ride it until I feel like uprgrading, which given that the wheel is an upgrade, could be at 20kkm or more. 😥

10k and especially 20k km is a proper distance for any wheel. No matter which wheel, I’d say that in order to reach that without major repairs you need to be somewhat considerate about how you charge the battery and use the wheel in general. Gotway uses battery cells that are possibly the best for an EUC, and given that GW doesn’t let you ride them as empty as other brands, GW is indeed possibly the best bet for that kind of distances.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

we might see Gotway's new city-commuter type of wheel (16 incher, slimmer and presumably lighter than the Nikola). This may be a Tesla successor, or more of a sidegrade. 

More rugged case design and better water proofing? ;) If it's being aimed as a city wheel then proper rear lights with brake lighting can't be a difficult ask. I'll be looking for my next wheel in a few months so these changes would put it at the top of my list especially if the price isn't too much different. Icing on the cake would be loosing the shims and going for King Song style axle clamp and possibly a 2.5" tyre? There's no need to change the motor or battery for me anyway.

On 11/20/2019 at 5:59 PM, Marty Backe said:

I don't think the Tesla was ever meant to be the continuation of the ACM. They share nothing.

Hold up. That's just plain wrong. The only differences are the shell and battery size. These wheels are as identical as it can get. Except the lower shell of the acm. But thats it. Saying they share nothing is just plain wrong

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Zzzzeke said:

What do you mean when you say "waterproofing"?

Keeping rain off the electrics. Ensuring the switches work in all weathers. Ensuring it's fine through medium sized puddles. Standard stuff. I know you've had no issues but others have. I suspect it's because the wheel goes quite fast then the crashes are going to be bigger and so cracks are more likely to appear. It just seems a shame that they didn't incorporate the ruggedness of the ACM shell into the beauty of the Tesla shell. I'm not putting Tesla's down (I actually want one) but I suspect a KS16S or a V8 will live longer in most peoples hands. 

8 hours ago, Shad0z said:

Hold up. That's just plain wrong. The only differences are the shell and battery size. These wheels are as identical as it can get. Except the lower shell of the acm. But thats it. Saying they share nothing is just plain wrong

Yes, I exaggerated a bit :) The motors appear to be the same. But when everything but the motor/hangers is different, I don't see how someone can say that the Tesla is a continuation of the ACM or as you say, "as identical as it can get".

• Like 1

The ACM has different board, motor, pedal hangers, shell, battery packs. The most notable common part were the pedals. So yeah, the Tesla was not the "new" ACM. It was a new-wheel side-upgrade in the same diameter class.

(The ACM2 came after the Tesla and simply used the Tesla motor and board type on the ACM.)

More on topic, even the old ACM has been seen with 15k km over 2 years ago. So no worries about longevity with all wheels, old or new. If the rider doesn't bang one up too badly, nothing else will stop it.

• Like 1