Energy consumption and regen on mountain rides?

Aneta

11 minutes ago, Aneta said:

For 100kg with 10m/s initial speed, that's a total of KE = m*v^2/2 = 5000J, or less than 1.5Wh. With specific heat of copper roughly 400J/kg/C, if there are a couple of kilos of Cu in the motor, that's less than 10C temperature increase.

Thanks for cross-checking, that's about what I had in my lazy mind.

Edited by Mono

I read somewhere a few years ago that some self-balancing vehicle (don’t remember which) has a threshold speed for regenerative braking set at 10km/h. I have no idea if that is/was standard practice or not. This was obviously not a real data point, but one possibility.

Regarding ”under-leaning”, for example the Lhotz was very easy to under-lean, ie. brake too hard for the wheel to be able to keep up. It felt like it didn’t have any extra braking power compared to acceleration, unlike newer wheels.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Aneta said:

You're absolutely right! Motor should be able to swallow this braking energy despite the huge peak power. As long as the MOSFETs don't burn from high peak currents...

With regenerative breaking the phase current is the same as the battery current. So for the mosfets it should be no real challenge.  Edit: that's quite definitely wrog. Should be comparable to "normal" driving conditions...

If they are used "active" and not just their body diodes are misused.

Also the coil resistance should be in about the range of the battery internal resistance - so power dissipation divides between them and some energy is taken from the batteries as charge.

11 hours ago, Planemo said:

So you are saying that irrespective of braking force required, regen is always being provided to the batteries and there is no other method of energy dissipation used?

No. Regenerative breaking is the only technique to dissipate the needed powers for longer/repetitive breakings.

The other techniques can be used for the small braking needed for selfbalancing and for some (?smaller?) braking inbetween.

Edited by Chriull

5 minutes ago, Chriull said:

Did some calculations:

Starting from the (very simple first approximation) equivalent diagram of an EUC:

fNbPBNV.png

and the following EUC Data (tried to "model" a MSX 84V):

m (rider+wheel) 100,00 kg        

Diameter 18,00 inch        
Radius 0,23 m        
Circumference 1,44 m        
v_max_no_load 78,00 km/h 21,67 m/s 15,08 s ^ -1
omega 94,78 rad/s        
k_v 0,89 V/rad/s   U = k_v * omega    
k_m 1,13 Nm/A   I_motor = k_m * M    

P Nom 2000          
P Max 6000          
P_Max @ As mechanical Output =U_Back_EMF * I_motor          
  v=v_max_no_load/2 10,8333333333334 m/s 47,39 rad/s  
  U_Back_EMF=U_Batt/2 42 V      
  I_motor 142,857142857143 A      
  R_coil 0,294 Ohm      

s p        
Battery 20 6 Capacity 1600 Wh  
U_cell 4,20 V U_cell_nom 3,70 V  
U_batt 84,00 V Capacity_cell 3,50 Ah  
R_i_cell 0,04 Ohm Capacity_calc 1554,00 Wh  
R_i_batt 0,12 Ohm        

I assumed as peak mechanical output Power 6000W to get a value for the internal coil resistance. So for maximum dynamic/regen braking once one shorts the motor coil this R_coil determines the maximum Current that the Back EMF from the motor can generate. Neglectiong mechanical motor losses and Mosfet resistance this leads to the coil resistance.

This leads to the following chart for possible regenerative braking states at 36 km/h:

kYZMOwV.png

with the following results:

v 36,00 km/h 10,00 m/s 43,74 rad/s
U_batt_0 66,00 V        
U_Back_EMF 38,77 V   I_batt_max 18,74 A
I_motor_max 131,87 A   Charge rate max 0,89 C
P_mech_max 5112,43 W        
M_max 148,79 Nm        
a_max 6,51 m/s²        

I assumed for this example the  minimum battery voltage for maximum battery current. (At 84V the maximum battery current would be 14,9A / 0,71C.)

The right end of this diagram shows in reality dynamic braking (shorting of the motor coils). The more one gets near this dynamic braking the less gets the motor terminal voltage - so the "step up factor" to charge the battery gets higher and higher and the efficiency of the transforming gets worse and worse (which is here neglected).

As efficiency i took mechanical input/braking power vs. Battery charging "power" (U_battery_0 * I_battery - so without the voltage drop on the internal resistance). But imho only the battery current is determining the charging - so the better factor should be Battery current / Braking power? Just tried this and still get the same falling line - it's just the constant battery voltage less in the expression :D

As comparison (and as i did this second sheet, too) the possible output power chart while driving at 36 km/h:

kQDff0A.png

v 36,00 km/h 10 m/s 43,74 rad/s
U_batt_0 84,00 V        
U_Back_EMF 38,77 V   I_batt_max 105,75 A
I_motor_max 153,85 A   Discharge rate max 5,04 C
P_mech_max 5964,50 W        
M_max 173,59 Nm        
a_max 7,59 m/s²        

:shock2:

I love what some of you guys do :cheers:

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Chriull said:

Did some calculations:

Starting from the (very simple first approximation) equivalent diagram of an EUC:

fNbPBNV.png

and the following EUC Data (tried to "model" a MSX 84V):

m (rider+wheel) 100,00 kg        

Diameter 18,00 inch        
Radius 0,23 m        
Circumference 1,44 m        
v_max_no_load 78,00 km/h 21,67 m/s 15,08 s ^ -1
omega 94,78 rad/s        
k_v 0,89 V/rad/s   U = k_v * omega    
k_m 1,13 Nm/A   I_motor = k_m * M    

P Nom 2000          
P Max 6000          
P_Max @ As mechanical Output =U_Back_EMF * I_motor          
  v=v_max_no_load/2 10,8333333333334 m/s 47,39 rad/s  
  U_Back_EMF=U_Batt/2 42 V      
  I_motor 142,857142857143 A      
  R_coil 0,294 Ohm      

s p        
Battery 20 6 Capacity 1600 Wh  
U_cell 4,20 V U_cell_nom 3,70 V  
U_batt 84,00 V Capacity_cell 3,50 Ah  
R_i_cell 0,04 Ohm Capacity_calc 1554,00 Wh  
R_i_batt 0,12 Ohm        

I assumed as peak mechanical output Power 6000W to get a value for the internal coil resistance. So for maximum dynamic/regen braking once one shorts the motor coil this R_coil determines the maximum Current that the Back EMF from the motor can generate. Neglecting mechanical motor losses and Mosfet resistance this leads to the coil resistance. (Edit: This argument has to be refined - quite some wrong statements gathered here. Max output power is reached at half no load speed - then V Back EMF is half battery voltage andR coil could be estimated by this!? But the internal resistance of the battery should be regarded, so R_coil should be reduced by this 0,12 Ohm... ? But anyhow - the range/magnitude seems/should be about right and these are only rough estimates anyhow...)

This leads to the following chart for possible regenerative braking states at 36 km/h:

kYZMOwV.png

with the following results:

v 36,00 km/h 10,00 m/s 43,74 rad/s
U_batt_0 66,00 V        
U_Back_EMF 38,77 V   I_batt_max 18,74 A
I_motor_max 131,87 A   Charge rate max 0,89 C
P_mech_max 5112,43 W        
M_max 148,79 Nm        
a_max 6,51 m/s²        

I assumed for this example the  minimum battery voltage for maximum battery current. (At 84V the maximum battery current would be 14,9A / 0,71C.)

The right end of this diagram shows in reality dynamic braking (shorting of the motor coils). The more one gets near this dynamic braking the less gets the motor terminal voltage - so the "step up factor" to charge the battery gets higher and higher and the efficiency of the transforming gets worse and worse (which is here neglected).

As efficiency i took mechanical input/braking power vs. Battery charging "power" (U_battery_0 * I_battery - so without the voltage drop on the internal resistance). But imho only the battery current is determining the charging - so the better factor should be Battery current / Braking power? Just tried this and still get the same falling line - it's just the constant battery voltage less in the expression :D

As comparison (and as i did this second sheet, too) the possible output power chart while driving at 36 km/h:

kQDff0A.png

v 36,00 km/h 10 m/s 43,74 rad/s
U_batt_0 84,00 V        
U_Back_EMF 38,77 V   I_batt_max 105,75 A
I_motor_max 153,85 A   Discharge rate max 5,04 C
P_mech_max 5964,50 W        
M_max 173,59 Nm        
a_max 7,59 m/s²        

I tried entering the input params into Motor Sumulator (Custom Motor), but only getting 60kph no-load speed, not 78. Thoughts?

https://www.ebikes.ca/tools/simulator.html?batt=cust_84_0.12_21&cont=cust_100_200_0.03_V&wheel=18i&frame=cust_1_0.01&hp=0&blue=Lbs&motor=cust_8.45_0.294_0.2_23_0.77_0.0185_0&cont_b=cust_100_200_0.03_V&batt_b=cust_84_0.2_20&wheel_b=19i&frame_b=cust_1_0.01&hp_b=0

Edited by Aneta

9 hours ago, Aneta said:

9 hours ago, Aneta said:

Seems i mixed something up since kv should be (rad/s)/V (or rpm/V). 

So it seems for km i have in reality calculated A/Nm...

Will check and update this in the evening.

PS.: But so i've seen the custom motor settings dialogue with the description of a0 and a1 (coefficients of the square omega polynom) - maybe it's possible to find some explanation fir this now!