KS 16b broken axle. is it possible to fix?

Yxzygäilijä

a few days ago while I was riding my 16b I noticed that the left pedal support hits motors side cover every time when I go over bumb or pothole. I only tought that pedal support bolts are loosened and it can be quick fix. So, I decided to open it. But... bolts was very well and tight in place. At this point I figured out that the axle was almost in two pieces. I opened the pedal support bolts and then axle cracked completely:

https://imgur.com/gallery/uVlgrKK

Is there anyone selling new axles? Or should I ask some machinist to make new?

I have only 3900kilometers on the wheel.

Edited by Yxzygäilijä
  • Like 1

I just started hearing grinding too, small bumps or accelerating /braking.

It feels like it is under the left pedal.

Does this seem to be the same issue? 

16B  with 3500km on it. 

If so it seems like a design fault.  We might have to team up on it with the company.

• Like 1

Motor cables goes through left side of the axle and it's hollow, so it's weaker on that side. It can be same issue on your wheel, but check it first. Reason for grinding can also be only loosened pedal support bolts. It's easy to fix.

15 minutes ago, Pete Bucknell said:

If so it seems like a design fault.

Yep. It is definitely desing fault.

Edited by Yxzygäilijä
  • Like 1

It's not easy but possible to repair.

2 hours ago, alcatraz said:

In China I can often find wheels at really low prices that have some problems like a dead battery. You could maybe try to score one and use it for parts.

Can you tell me where in china i can find something like this.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, evil696 said:

It's not easy but possible to repair.

Can you tell me where in china i can find something like this.

xianyu (闲鱼) is the 2nd hand version of taobao (淘宝) app/homepage.

I was referring to getting one in your area though. You can send kingsong an email and ask which models use the same axle.

I got both my V8's on xianyu for peanuts basically. 200-300usd each.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Yxzygäilijä said:

Motor cables goes through left side of the axle and it's hollow, so it's weaker on that side. It can be same issue on your wheel, but check it first. Reason for grinding can also be only loosened pedal support bolts. It's easy to fix.

Yep. It is definitely desing fault.

Ah thanks. on closer examination from directly underneath there is less distance between the wheel and the pedal, so the black part of the wheel scrapes when there is more weight on the left pedal and the side moves towards the wheel

• Like 1

3 hours ago, alcatraz said:

xianyu (闲鱼) is the 2nd hand version of taobao (淘宝) app/homepage.

I was referring to getting one in your area though. You can send kingsong an email and ask which models use the same axle.

I got both my V8's on xianyu for peanuts basically. 200-300usd each.

In this price range @Yxzygäilijä could also (?almost?) get a new motor including the axle. ... if he manages to get the right axle diameter for his wheel versions. Some of the european online EUC shops could/should have some in spare...

• Like 1

17 hours ago, alcatraz said:

What about asking someone to weld the old axle together againv

10 hours ago, Yxzygäilijä said:

Impossible to weld.

Steel axles are empirically hardened at a heat treatment facility so applying a significant amount of heat through the welding process would alter the physical and chemical properties of the material thus attenuating  the structure.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rehab1 said:

Steel axles are empirically hardened at a heat treatment facility so applying a significant amount of heat through the welding process would alter the physical and chemical properties of the material thus attenuating  the structure.

So duct tape would be better then?   :D

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...