Wow! GW Monster with an even BIGGER Batt.? 3108wh

Hey Mike. Really enjoy your videos!  Open honest stream of consciousness mixed in with detailed examinations of these devices we all love to use. Thanks for being the brave one who puts this type of content out.  No affiliation with anyone or anything is empowering and definitely has its privileges.

Interesting how with an issue this potentially damaging to EUC's in regards to the physical safety of the user and the general public, as well as the potential to severely limit the sale and use of EUC's through much stricter legislation, many of the EUC "influencers" on this forum and on YouTube are strangely quiet on this issue. There seems to be a general malaise to the response of EUC's igniting, and the fire incidents are brushed aside as one offs....Nothing to see here.... carry on.

Hmmmm.  Why aren't the influencers speaking up and asking questions? Affiliations? idk. Maybe some are waiting for a sponsorship - or are being sponsored? The way of the world i guess.

May be wise to put the user and public safety at the top of the priority list here. If we can't trust the resellers modding battery packs it's one thing. If we can't trust the manufacturers - then that's another thing. So let's see who is asking questions so the industry can move forward, and let's see who is towing the company line.  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Planemo said:

Interesting video Mike.

So the 'are they used?' question rages on. Some people say they cant be, yet we have an admission from a wheel supplier (albeit via a 3rd party) that they are. The plot thickens...

Wheel Riders Store wrote to Tobbe last night after seeing the video. All of a sudden their english was great!

They said that it was a misunderstanding and assured him that they are new cells and that they would never use old/used cells.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Sentient said:

Hey Mike. Really enjoy your videos!  Open honest stream of consciousness mixed in with detailed examinations of these devices we all love to use. Thanks for being the brave one who puts this type of content out.  No affiliation with anyone or anything is empowering and definitely has its privileges.

Interesting how with an issue this potentially damaging to EUC's in regards to the physical safety of the user and the general public, as well as the potential to severely limit the sale and use of EUC's through much stricter legislation, many of the EUC "influencers" on this forum and on YouTube are strangely quiet on this issue. There seems to be a general malaise to the response of EUC's igniting, and the fire incidents are brushed aside as one offs....Nothing to see here.... carry on.

Hmmmm.  Why aren't the influencers speaking up and asking questions? Affiliations? idk. Maybe some are waiting for a sponsorship - or are being sponsored? The way of the world i guess.

May be wise to put the user and public safety at the top of the priority list here. If we can't trust the resellers modding battery packs it's one thing. If we can't trust the manufacturers - then that's another thing. So let's see who is asking questions so the industry can move forward, and let's see who is towing the company line.  

Thank you so much! And thank you for even reading my description in the videos. :)
It is truly a privilege to not have/need affiliations and be able to be objective which I try my best to do.
I also have access to quite large group of riders and we all live wheel life together and love it.

There are good sides and bad sides to customised wheels. The good side is that we aren't stuck with a Monster 100v with 1845Wh battery. The bad side is that the workmanship will be whatever it is. Now the workmanship might look a bit shocking to us... and it gets even worse if we see a video of how they scrap the insides of a MSX shell to accommodate larger batteries.  But... they work! That's the thing.. these wheels work.

I myself have ordered a modified Nik+ with 2664Wh batteries. A 24s6p configuration with 21700 Samsung 50E cells and a smart BMS. 1Radwerkstatt makes the mod and they are a very reputable seller who believe in high quality workmanship and take pride in their work. However... Loomo is now making a similar wheel but 500 bucks cheaper. Two of our riders have ordered them (Tobias / Z10 / MSP rider) and Petra (Tesla rider). So we will see how those wheels perform. I have too much money and too much anxiety to give myself a headache worrying about these things so I went for the 1Rad version so that I know exactly what is in it.

Wheel Riders Store wrote to Tobbe last night after seeing the video and they assured him the cells are new. All we can do then is believe what is being said or we can simply start doubting everything. I will post a video tonight with a wheel talk of Tobbe and I babbling for 10 minutes.

A one off will be a one off until the next wheel catches on fire.
Just like Kamikaze Joe got high speed oscillation on his modified Monster and crashed.

These new Monster 3018Wh don't have the oscillation problem but there seems to be a lot of opinions on:

The BMS being rated for 30A.
The cells being used.
The wiring.
Sandwiching of components.
The scraped shell.

For now all I can do is present the information I have and hope that together we can combine our experience of the different wheels, sellers, etc. 

Now... the way that Monster caught on fire though... man if that would have happened in a more crowded are that would have really been bad news!

Nice to see you are from Toronto. My home town... Born there in 1973 and lived there until 1987.
I need to go back there and rediscover it. Preferably on a wheel. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Will R said:

I feel so upset on behalf of your friend being lied to and missold something so expensive like that. Was he at least able to get a discount on the cost of the wheel once they admitted they were used 21700s? 

Thanks Will!

They wrote to him last night in perfect english and said it was a misunderstanding with the engineer. :efeffe9e4a:

And that the cells are new (and they would never use used cells).

Time will tell but we finally got an answer. Maybe they will be better at answering in the future.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Mike Sacristan said:

1Radwerkstatt makes the mod

14 minutes ago, Mike Sacristan said:

21700 Samsung 50E cells and a smart BMS.

12 minutes ago, Mike Sacristan said:

so I went for the 1Rad version

Please keep us updated - i'm very interested in this smart BMS. My next wheel needs to have such a thing, too!

12 minutes ago, Chriull said:

Please keep us updated - i'm very interested in this smart BMS. My next wheel needs to have such a thing, too!

Oh believe me I will!

Kenny is very happy with his. Mine will be sent tomorrow and I hope to have it later this week.
Then I will do the range test from hell...

• Like 2

On 9/26/2019 at 2:16 AM, Rywokast said:

waiting for a tesla using 21700s... monster already has ridiculously huge batteries and the form factor makes it the most inconvenient convenient PEV lol.. time for a tesla upgrade!!

100V Tesla, with sturdier chassis, tubeless tyre, 3xbeepers (on upnfron as horn and one on each side inside), support for chassis up top, spinkill button, max speed 70 km/h, 1800Wh-ish