Wow! GW Monster with an even BIGGER Batt.? 3108wh

On 9/30/2019 at 10:22 PM, chrisjunlee said:

Question: Are these 21700 panasonics put in by Gotway (a la OEM)? Or is it the seller putting them in aftermarket?

Gotway does it. 

Edit: I was wrong, a third party does it. 

Edited by Jean Dublin

24 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Wow, Green and Fashion really has fallen from grace. Blatant lies.

Buyer feedback (on this forum) also isn't exactly good recently.

If a resellers insinuates GW such practices, one could come to the idea, that resellers do such things, too (selling reused batteries as new...).

Anyhow it leaves a bad taste of the reseller - why does he continue selling products of a company doing such things! How could one be sure it does not happen with 18650 cells, too?

Here where not really a considerable amount (?if any at all?) reports till now of bad battery packs in new wheels? Just seldom reports of single cell (pairs) going bad (?a bit?) too early - I'd account these incidents to bad cell matching/manufacturing mishaps?

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Chriull said:

If a resellers insinuates GW such practices, one could come to the idea, that resellers do such things, too (selling reused batteries as new...).

Anyhow it leaves a bad taste of the reseller - why does he continue selling products of a company doing such things! How could one be sure it does not happen with 18650 cells, too?

Here where not really a considerable amount (?if any at all?) reports till now of bad battery packs in new wheels? Just seldom reports of single cell (pairs) going bad (?a bit?) too early - I'd account these incidents to bad cell matching/manufacturing mishaps?

Interesting thoughs, I wonder what cells Green and Fashion are using for the modded 100v 2460wh Monster... :efeed51798: (one arrived burned on the box, and they said it wasn't their fault, remember?) 

Edited by Jean Dublin

58 minutes ago, Jean Dublin said:

one arrived burned on the box, and they said it wasn't their fault, remember

Afai got it, that was the power button pressed while in the box, and the rotating tire got stuck wirh package material....

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Chriull said:

Afai got it, that was the power button pressed while in the box, and the rotating tire got stuck wirh package material....

Thanks for the info, so I guess what burned the inside was just the wheel trying to spin, but being blocked.
I decided I'll buy the 3108wh, as soon as I sell the 1845wh, I just put it up for sale.
I'll definitely ask them to protect the power button from accidental turn on... before shipping it.
Also, whoever has the tool/part needed to fix the loose axle bolt, have it ready for me haha. Hopefully it won't be needed...

Edited by Jean Dublin
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/1/2019 at 9:32 AM, Jean Dublin said:

Gotway does it. 

Edit: I was wrong, a third party does it. 

Just edited that. I ordered it thinking Gotway Factory was fitting the 3108wh, but no, it's a third party. 

Screenshot_20191011_113054_com.tencent.mm.png

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Jean Dublin said:

Just edited that. I ordered it thinking Gotway Factory was fitting the 3108wh, but no, it's a third party. 

Screenshot_20191011_113054_com.tencent.mm.png

True, the batteries are Not an official GW - product. Very curious about the charging time and the milage you can get out of it, as well as the internals. Will you test and show us once its in your hands? Keep us posted! When will you expect it? 

9 minutes ago, Rudy Sijnke said:

Will you test and show us once its in your hands? Keep us posted! When will you expect it? 

Yes I will open the sides to show you, and I'll test it too. 

30-45 days from now. Let's see. 

• Like 1

I'm also looking at using a 100.8v 10A charger, otherwise the 3108wh would take forever to recharge on a +200km long trip with one break.

I read before in this forum or the French one that GX16-5 has its limits... So I asked a chargers seller. 

I shared the answer here, let's see how this turns out. 

I mentioned Jason now, let's see if we get this clarified. I was hoping I could charge the Monster v3 I bought with 10A (for +200km trips), but it seems like I won't be able to go over 6A now... 

Edited by Jean Dublin

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Jean Dublin said:

Very low quality alert 

I bought the 3108wh Monster. Only about half of the battery works on mine. 

A few others also bought it. 

I noticed Jerry Fung in New York, with similar weather, was getting about double the range than me. It seems like he was more lucky than me. 

Also, I had the Monster V2 100v 1845wh before, so I also noticed I got less range than before... 

Measuring voltage, the result is 100v on the app and charging port. Also 100v on the battery packs. Voltage test, all good. 

Measuring Energy use by the charger with a smart plug, energy meter, I saw that it only used 1150wh to charge from 25% to 100%

Next, test the separate battery backs, individually, to power the unicycle, or to test if they take charge. Test Failed for the custom pack. Not powering the unicycle, not charging. 

Then we remove the blue wrap from the battery that's not working, to find a very poorly built battery, with the cheapest component and not properly welded, 4 cells are not even welded and are dead with 0.25v! 

This is why I can't recommend anyone to buy this 3108wh modified Monster. 

I'll get mine repaired with spare parts I'll get from the seller, I've to stick with it after such an investment on it. 

In the meantime, riding it with only about 1500-1600wh battery (well, same as before, but with less weight). 

The BMS is the cheapest available, the cells have no name, no brand, no specs written on them.

Thanks to @US69 for his help via WhatsApp. 

MVYaf6A.jpg

7uRtBcC.jpg

Wnk0G3V.jpg

QJbujO1.jpg

jerry’s range wasn’t all that amazing to begin with considering i saw he got 61 miles not really riding that wheel hard. I ride my wheel like a bat out of hell and can get 50 miles to 20% battery worst case out of my 2460Wh Monster. I did a 38 mile ride not long ago in the cold SUSTAINING 30+ MPH on a highway service road over 21 miles with no stops and still had 38% battery left. 

Thanks for the PSA! 

edit- I realized how dangerous this is after looking at the photos. if the disconnected nickel strips somehow touch during a bump or something, there would be a huge surge of power if the voltage difference is significant thus possibly causing fire. Glad you picked this off quickly and I would urge everyone who buys this wheel to do a full range test to confirm. At a rate of 40Wh /mile it SHOULD get 65.8 miles in a worst case scenario (deducting 15% from 3108 for residual loss and remaining capacity at 0% / 3.3V per cell. 

Edited by Ben Kim
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Jean Dublin said:

Very low quality alert 

I bought the 3108wh Monster. Only about half of the battery works on mine. 

A few others also bought it. 

I noticed Jerry Fung in New York, with similar weather, was getting about double the range than me. It seems like he was more lucky than me. 

Also, I had the Monster V2 100v 1845wh before, so I also noticed I got less range than before... 

Measuring voltage, the result is 100v on the app and charging port. Also 100v on the battery packs. Voltage test, all good. 

Measuring Energy use by the charger with a smart plug, energy meter, I saw that it only used 1150wh to charge from 25% to 100%

Next, test the separate battery backs, individually, to power the unicycle, or to test if they take charge. Test Failed for the custom pack. Not powering the unicycle, not charging. 

Then we remove the blue wrap from the battery that's not working, to find a very poorly built battery, with the cheapest component and not properly welded, 4 cells are not even welded and are dead with 0.25v! 

This is why I can't recommend anyone to buy this 3108wh modified Monster. 

I'll get mine repaired with spare parts I'll get from the seller, I've to stick with it after such an investment on it. 

In the meantime, riding it with only about 1500-1600wh battery (well, same as before, but with less weight). 

The BMS is the cheapest available, the cells have no name, no brand, no specs written on them.

Thanks to @US69 for his help via WhatsApp. 

7uRtBcC.jpg

Wow :shock2: Great report. I hope everyone considering one of these sees this first.

Thank's for the great write-up :cheers:

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Ben Kim said:

I realized how dangerous this is after looking at the photos. if the disconnected nickel strips somehow touch during a bump or something, there would be a huge surge of power if the voltage difference is significant thus possibly causing fire. Glad you picked this off quickly. 

Thanks for the comments.

I don't think I understood this part.