Quality of wheel apps

Patton250

2 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

I think you watch too many movies where children are software savants. Software (my industry) is actually a highly skilled trade requiring years of education and experience.

Probably the reason that we have such crappy apps is because they are hiring 22-year-old people to do the work.

I won’t disagree with your thoughts on software but I disagree with your thoughts on apps. They’re not that complicated.  That’s why there’s millions of them. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Patton250 said:

I disagree with your thoughts on apps. They’re not that complicated.  That’s why there’s millions of them. 

LOL.

If they are not complicated, why are lots of them still crap?

1 hour ago, Marty Backe said:

Sometimes the magnets inside the shell will fall out, because Gotway uses hot-glue to secure them. I would open the side (very easy to do) and inspect it to locate the magnet. You do not what that to be loose inside the wheel.

I really wonder what Gotway has to do with the KS16X. Everyone keeps mentioning them :lol:

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, ir_fuel said:

LOL.

I really wonder what Gotway has to do with the KS16X. Everyone keeps mentioning them :lol:

I really don’t know. That’s the mystery right? I have lots of different things  that have apps that work perfectly fine.   You would think at the very least they would hire someone that speaks perfect English and Chinese to help with translation. Then that person could help with all the languages. But.........:...

As far as the rivalry thing as I stated in a different thread I finally saw that is was happening all along  just a few days back. I’m just not interested in participating in that.  It’s  not helpful in the least. IMO.  However it’s quite common on different forums 

6 hours ago, Patton250 said:

I won’t disagree with your thoughts on software but I disagree with your thoughts on apps. They’re not that complicated.  That’s why there’s millions of them. 

We can agree to disagree

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

We can agree to disagree

Well I just googled it and there are 1.8 million apps available for iPhones and 2.1million apps available for android. Someone’s pretty busy. :-) 

6 hours ago, Patton250 said:

Ah.  We going back to the GotWay  King song thing again? I’ll stay out of it. :-)

Not really. I'm talking about the "tire thing".

6 hours ago, ir_fuel said:

LOL.

You have to be kidding me. Don't you realize that you just made a contradictory statement. There are lots of crap apps because it's not complicated to make a crappy app.

Non-software engineers don't have a clue about software.

1 minute ago, Marty Backe said:

You have to be kidding me. Don't you realize that you just made a contradictory statement. There are lots of crap apps because it's not complicated to make a crappy app.

In other words without a common point of reference it’s impossible to discuss this with someone right? :-)

8 minutes ago, Patton250 said:

Well I just googled it and there are 1.8 million apps available for iPhones and 2.1million apps available for android. Someone’s pretty busy. :-) 

You're right. Sophisticated, reliable, high-quality apps are a dime a dozen coded by teenagers in their parents basement.

Just now, Patton250 said:

In other words without a common point of reference it’s impossible to discuss this with someone right? :-)

Yes

4 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Are you being ironic and I didn't get the joke? :p  

3 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

You're right. Sophisticated, reliable, high-quality apps are a dime a dozen coded by teenagers in their parents basement.

Yes I know but that seems to bother you. I’m not sure why. 

Young people have always been on the cutting edge of technology innovation. My cousins son was  one of the leaders in developing in  Amazon platform. He was 22 years old at the time and the making $250,000 a year. He’s now 28 years old and makes over $1 million a year working for Microsoft.  That shouldn’t be surprising. Steve Jobs, Bill Gates. How old were they when they started?

3 minutes ago, Patton250 said:

Young people have always been on the cutting edge of technology innovation. My cousins son was  one of the leaders in developing in  Amazon platform. He was 22 years old at the time and the making $250,000 a year. He’s now 28 years old and makes over $1 million a year working for Microsoft.  That shouldn’t be surprising. Steve Jobs, Bill Gates. How old were they when they started?

Yes and for every exception there are 1000 that can't write 10 decent lines of code. 

I know what I am talking about, I had to hire developers when I worked as a game developer. I can tell you, the level required was extremely high as we didn't have middleware that did the heavy lifting for us. We wrote our own 3d engine etc etc. 

Let's say that we hired about 1 person for every 200 cv's we saw, and of those 200 cv's we already only invited 5 people.

• Upvote 1

Just now, ir_fuel said:

Yes and for every exception there are 1000 that can't write 10 decent lines of code. 

I know what I am talking about, I had to hire developers when I worked as a game developer. I can tell you, the level required was extremely high as we didn't have middleware that did the heavy lifting for us. We wrote our own 3d engine etc etc. 

Let's say that we hired about 1 person for every 200 cv's we saw, and of those 200 cv's we already only invited 5 people.

I believe it. I know you have to be pretty brilliant to do that type of stuff. My cousins son is exceptionally brilliant. Cool stuff 

The software quality issues we see is typical for a company where software was never their core business. We see exactly the same in the car industry. Compare the on board (and especially mobile!) software of traditional car companies such as BMW with the on board and mobile software that Tesla releases. You can see who considers software to be an integral part of their product and who considers it "something that needs to be done because we have to".

• Upvote 1

Making an app is not hard for a teen coder. Making a functionally adept app that’s reliable and intuitive to use, that is hard.

If I need a new app, I often download 10-20 free ones that seem to fit the purpose the best. Then I quickly go through all of them to see which ones have the potential to be usable. And sometimes have to download the next 10. I’m sure it’s even worse on the wild wild Android. Making a good app seems to be extremely difficult.

My cousins son was  one of the leaders in developing in  Amazon platform. He was 22 years old at the time and the making $250,000 a year. He’s now 28 years old and makes over $1 million a year working for Microsoft.  That shouldn’t be surprising. Steve Jobs, Bill Gates. How old were they when they started?

Could you please ask for your cousin's son to make a proper app for KingSong? (Or any of the other mentioned coders?)

The coders are not good because they are young. They are good despite being young, because they are just that good.

Edited by mrelwood
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, mrelwood said:

Could you please ask for your cousin's son to make a proper app for KingSong? (Or any of the other mentioned coders?)

The coders are not good because they are young. They are good despite being young, because they are just that good.

It seems the more young people that grow up around the technology the more are successful in the technology industry.  The average age at Apple and Google is astronomically low.  Heck  the average age at NASA during the time of the moon landings was something like 22 years old.  Anyway we are beating a dead horse with this.  Obviously since I’m not in the technology industry I have zero rights to comment on it. 

What are your thoughts on a Google watch for wheel log?   Do you have a suggestion on a easy watch to pick up? By the way wheel log for me gave the battery percentage for my 16X.  None of the other apps did including the KS app. 

3 hours ago, Patton250 said:

Complete bullshit. Unfortunately I can't really disprove those numbers without giving away my employment history and what my social circles are.

On another note, being a good coder has *nothing* to do with your compensation. You using Steve Jobs as a role model is 🤦

Edited by chrisjunlee
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Patton250 said:

It seems the more young people that grow up around the technology the more are successful in the technology industry.

Boy that's so wrong.

You would tend to think that youngsters today are much better at this than people born in the eighties. 

Wrong.

People born in the eighties got their hands on computers when they were becoming available for the masses but still were very technical to use (MS-DOS anyone? Ever had to install a "REAL TIME CLOCK" in your XT computer because it didn't come with any? Or a math coprocessor? ISA slots, PCI slots, VESA etc etc etc. Building your own "clone" because an original IBM cost a fortune). People born in the 2000's use technology like we use a TV. We know what buttons to push to change the channel and the volume, but don't go asking about how the thing works on the inside, let alone repair something.

Pretty sure that "some middle aged dude" will be 10 times better at fixing network problems on your Windows PC than someone who's first contact with Windows was Windows 7.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

You know what youngsters ARE good at? All of them no matter their competency? Being exploited working crazy hours without asking too many questions. That's one of the reasons you don't see many 30+ programmers (and certainly not 40+ programmers) in startups that require a lot of "dedication" (or where they use the carrot on the stick, aka stock options, instead of decent pay, certainly compared to the number of hours worked). Simply because those 30+ people have a life and family and they realise that life is more than working your arse off in the hope of being at the next Facebook.

6 hours ago, ir_fuel said:

Boy that's so wrong.

You would tend to think that youngsters today are much better at this than people born in the eighties. 

Wrong.

People born in the eighties got their hands on computers when they were becoming available for the masses but still were very technical to use (MS-DOS anyone? Ever had to install a "REAL TIME CLOCK" in your XT computer because it didn't come with any? Or a math coprocessor? ISA slots, PCI slots, VESA etc etc etc. Building your own "clone" because an original IBM cost a fortune). People born in the 2000's use technology like we use a TV. We know what buttons to push to change the channel and the volume, but don't go asking about how the thing works on the inside, let alone repair something.

Pretty sure that "some middle aged dude" will be 10 times better at fixing network problems on your Windows PC than someone who's first contact with Windows was Windows 7.

You should probably try reading a few of my posts before then. If you recall people from the 80s were young once. That’s when they got into it.  All of the most powerful tech companies were started by extremely young people.  This one seems to be flying over everyone’s head at a high rate of speed.  I have a gut feeling that pride is what’s confusing everyone here. 

I realize all of those people are older now and moving on to other things in the tech industries but they were young when they started. As are lots of young people now that are doing miraculous things in the tech world. I don’t see why this is so freaking complicated to understand.  I bet all my wheels that the vast majority of app creators are in their 20s.  And yes some are in their teens in their parents basement. 

When Atari was invented it was invented by young people. Apple,  Amazon, Microsoft , Twitter and the evil Facebook. All YOUNG PROPLE!!!!!!!!  Lol. Sorry for yelling. :-)

Oh and you know the difference between a middle-age dude working on windows and the young dude working on windows? Software engineers in their middle ages are set in their ways, stubborn and filled with pride. Young people aren’t. They have a lot to prove and new ideas. 

Im done

Edited by Patton250