Quality of wheel apps

Patton250

You simply didn't understand what I wrote.

Pretty sure that someone growing up when cars still required a lot of manual intervention and tweaking and fiddling knows a lot more about them than someone growing up in an age where they can simply go to the dealership, turn the key and drive off, and only visit that dealership every 2 years for maintenance.

The fact that you claim young people now are better at tech than young people 30 years ago simply makes no sense. If anything, tech has become a lot less "tech" to use. Therefore your argument does not make sense. Tech has become a household appliance.

That young people do this kind of stuff isn't a surprise. It just makes not sense to say that those of today will do it better than those 30 years ago. Everything has evolved but people stay the same. Young people will be young people. The tools change, the mindset does not.

6 minutes ago, Patton250 said:

Software engineers in their middle ages are set in their ways, stubborn and filled with pride.

If that was the case for me (working as a freelance software developer since 21. I'm 40 now) I would be out of a job since a long time, or be stuck doing maintenance on some ancient tech at a banking company or big corporation (and probably earning a lot more for doing that). Pretty sure my MFC or Xbox 360 skills aren't in high demand today :lol: 

Also you are generalising something that only applies to a very small part of the population. Of all the young people in IT, how many try starting a company? And of those, how many succeed? That's a ridiculously small number. It's nonsense to generalise this. It's like saying that black people will be successful rappers, because the successful rappers you know are black, or that physicists will end up getting a Nobel prize, because you know a few that did.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, ir_fuel said:

You simply didn't understand what I wrote.

Pretty sure that someone growing up when cars still required a lot of manual intervention and tweaking and fiddling knows a lot more about them than someone growing up in an age where they can simply go to the dealership, turn the key and drive off, and only visit that dealership every 2 years for maintenance.

The fact that you claim young people now are better at tech than young people 30 years ago simply makes no sense. If anything, tech has become a lot less "tech" to use. Therefore your argument does not make sense. Tech has become a household appliance.

That young people do this kind of stuff isn't a surprise. It just makes not sense to say that those of today will do it better than those 30 years ago. Everything has evolved but people stay the same. Young people will be young people. The tools change, the mindset does not.

If that was the case for me (working as a freelance software developer since 21. I'm 40 now) I would be out of a job since a long time, or be stuck doing maintenance on some ancient tech at a banking company or big corporation (and probably earning a lot more for doing that). Pretty sure my MFC or Xbox 360 skills aren't in high demand today :lol: 

Also you are generalising something that only applies to a very small part of the population. Of all the young people in IT, how many try starting a company? And of those, how many succeed? That's a ridiculously small number. It's nonsense to generalise this. It's like saying that black people will be successful rappers, because the successful rappers you know are black, or that physicists will end up getting a Nobel prize, because you know a few that did.

Listen my friend this seems to be a touchy area for some probably for reasons I stated above. However that’s not what this forum is about. All I really meant was that in my observations young people have been the inspiration and leadership in the tech industries.  Bill Gates, Steve Jobs and Mark Zuckerberg were not 40 years old when they started their multi billion dollar corporation’s.  That’s all I’m saying.  I had no idea people would get so easily offended here so if I have offended you and I already know I offended Marty (I could just tell) then I apologize.  I will respectfully back out of this conversation.  Peace to you brother 

Edited by Patton250

On 8/4/2019 at 11:30 PM, chrisjunlee said:

Complete bullshit. Unfortunately I can't really disprove those numbers without giving away my employment history and what my social circles are.

On another note, being a good coder has *nothing* to do with your compensation. You using Steve Jobs as a role model is 🤦

I’m not really sure how I missed this. In a free country like the United States compensation is directly connected to what you produce. That only doesn’t apply in communist countries.   Compensation  is 100% related to how good you are and what you do. 

You wish you were Steve Jobs.  The amount of money that man has produced and the people he has employed and made rich is probably impossible to calculate.  But he is easily one of the greatest innovators in the history of our planet.  I’m trying to think of what reality you live in. 

PS – Steve Jobs is not a role model for me. Actually he’s was quite a liberal twit but that doesn’t change the fact that he change the world.  And he did it when he was extremely young from his parents basement.  :-)

5 hours ago, Patton250 said:

Compensation  is 100% related to how good you are and what you do.

Charity work isn't being/doing good?

5 hours ago, Patton250 said:

You wish you were Steve Jobs.  The amount of money that man has produced and the people he has employed and made rich is probably impossible to calculate.  But he is easily one of the greatest innovators in the history of our planet.  I’m trying to think of what reality you live in.

I'm pretty sure his point was that Steve Jobs wasn't a spectacularly (or in my understanding even a very good) coder. Innovator, yes.

8 minutes ago, mrelwood said:

Charity work isn't being/doing good?

I'm pretty sure his point was that Steve Jobs wasn't a spectacularly (or in my understanding even a very good) coder. Innovator, yes.

Ok