Technical defect InMotion V8

FastFraenzje

I had a crash at 30km/h because the InMotion V8 switched itself off. This is clearly comprehensible and reproducible.
I broke my upper arm several times and am now unfortunately disabled for the rest of my life. The arm is only half movable, as is the shoulder. But I am glad that I am still alive. 
The company InMotion is not interested in my crash and not in the defective device, which only ran about 80 kilometers, so it is almost new.  The communication was aborted by InMotion, they don't even want the defective device back for examination. A warranty service was rejected.
Who made similar experiences with this company and its products?

Thanks in advance and always a good and secure ride

FastFraenzje

2019-01-13 (1).JPG

2019-01-13 (2).JPG

2019-02-26 Röntgen (1).jpg

2019-02-26 Röntgen (2).jpg

• Upvote 1

Sorry to hear about this bro. But thank you for posting as I also ride an InMotion V8. Going on 6 months now & no issues so far but will def consider wearing my gear more as I tend to ride a bit bare at times:whistling: 

Sorry to hear that, I hope your arm will get better with time and physiotherapy, to my understanding this can improve slowly but steadily for quite some time. At least it seems that the surgeons did a good job to collect the shattered pieces back into place.

21 minutes ago, FastFraenzje said:

I had a crash at 30km/h because the InMotion V8 switched itself off. This is clearly comprehensible and reproducible.

I would be interested to learn more about how this was reproducible. It is indeed comprehensible and well known that EUCs become easier to overlean with increasing speed. That is why the preset speed limit for the V8 is 25km/h, AFAIK. I don't quite see though how you reproduced the V8 switching off at 30km/h, or don't you make this distinction between overlean and switching off? Would you be willing to share more details about how this happened?

26 minutes ago, FastFraenzje said:

You first ... oh wait. :(  Sorry to see your injury photos - that looks really sore.

We don't know the details of your crash, but I'm going to go out on a limb here and assume that you are new to EUCs and with only 80 km on your wheel ... really really new. I think the Inmotion app warns the rider against unlocking the full speed of the wheel until they have been riding for at least a year! Now I doubt many people heed that warning but the worst thing about these warnings is that adequate explanation for the warning is not provided to the user. The critical thing that people often don't know about self-balancing vehicles (until it bites them in the arse) is that they are at their most dangerous when operating at the limits of their performance envelope. The V8 motor design tops out at 30 km/h - there is a very limited power reserve the wheel can draw upon (@ 30 km/h) if it needs more power/ torque to keep the wheel upright to e.g. counter a bump in the road, or a sudden steering correction or lean input from the rider. Yes it can go 30 km/h, but should it ... should you?

Ridden conservatively a cheaper, lower powered wheel can be a wonderful thing but it's true these wheels have bitten others before and unfortunately I'm sure will bite others after you. I just wish there was a better way to provide adequate warning to new riders.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Doing 30km/h with an Inmotion V8 is just silly, to put it mildly. Mine cut out at 28km/h when driving over some train tracks. Silly me overpowered the motor on those obstacles, which in hindsight, makes sense since it only has a small motor and I was near the limit of the vehicle.

What makes you think it is a technical defect?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sidewalk Enforcer said:

The V8 motor design tops out at 30 km/h - there is a very limited power reserve the wheel can draw upon (@ 30 km/h) if it needs more power/ torque to keep the wheel upright to e.g. counter a bump in the road, or a sudden steering correction or lean input from the rider. Yes it can go 30 km/h, but should it ... should you?

Exactly. It's not like an e-scooter where the listed vmax is simply the speed you can run as long as the ground is flat and there is enough juice left in the battery. 

2 hours ago, Mono said:

Sorry to hear that, I hope your arm will get better with time and physiotherapy, to my understanding this can improve slowly but steadily for quite some time. At least it seems that the surgeons did a good job to collect the shattered pieces back into place.

I would be interested to learn more about how this was reproducible. It is indeed comprehensible and well known that EUCs become easier to overlean with increasing speed. That is why the preset speed limit for the V8 is 25km/h, AFAIK. I don't quite see though how you reproduced the V8 switching off at 30km/h, or don't you make this distinction between overlean and switching off? Would you be willing to share more details about how this happened?

My Wheel was used by an acquaintance after my crash. The same thing happened to him, the wheel turned off by itself. But he was more lucky: Once it happened at about 5km/h, another time at about 15km/h. He injured his arm, but nothing was broken.
That's what I meant: The defect is reproducible

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, ir_fuel said:

Doing 30km/h with an Inmotion V8 is just silly, to put it mildly. Mine cut out at 28km/h when driving over some train tracks. Silly me overpowered the motor on those obstacles, which in hindsight, makes sense since it only has a small motor and I was near the limit of the vehicle.

What makes you think it is a technical defect?

Please see my answer to Mono:

My Wheel was used by an acquaintance after my crash. The same thing happened to him, the wheel turned off by itself. But he was more lucky: Once it happened at about 5km/h, another time at about 15km/h. He injured his arm, but nothing was broken.
That's what I meant: The defect is reproducible and has nothing to do with the driven speed.

30 minutes ago, FastFraenzje said:

This does not necessarily mean the wheel is faulty. 

If you push the wheel beyond what is it capable of it can cutout. Also att full charge going downhill is a very bad idea. It cannot discharge the energy from breaking so it ofter results in system shutdown, this is how EUCs work. Not just the V8. 

Something tells me that Inmotion have come to the conclusion somehow it is not down to the unit itself. So it would be interesting to see what they said this. You must have gotten some reason. 

Just another bit out of curiosity, har long have ridden EUCs and your weight? 

Weight is a contributing factor to cutoff/over lean. Different situations but same effect. 

58 minutes ago, FastFraenzje said:

Does it make any sounds before turning off?

1 hour ago, FastFraenzje said:

It would still be interesting for us to learn more about the specific riding situations above and beyond the speed (like acceleration, street surface and inclination, battery charge,...). Also the state of the wheel when it was recollected from the street is interesting: was it on or off? If it was on, did it balance right away?

Edited by Mono

Ouch sorry to hear about your accident. 

I have 630miles on my v8 ( in 5 months) and my only wrecks have been user error and once a dog ran out in front of me so I bailed. I love this little machine. 

I keep it around 16 mph cruising and I am 185 lbs. 

The v8 is one of the most popular EUC sold, so if there was a wide spread issue I hope we would have heard about it by now. I think they have been out almost 2 years. 

I have had nothing but great service from Inmotion in US (myinmotion.com) when I have needed to reach out to them but I've only needed small parts ( ie pedal rod from the dog bail crash.) 

Personal safety is another reason I wear full face helm/motorcycle jacket/wrist guards/knee pads when I ride even just around the neighborhood. All my Wrecks I have been able to brush off because of this.  

I personally know of 4 different people who have been injured and had they been wearing gear it provably wouldn't have happened. Scary thing to me is I see people riding all over downtown Seattle with zero gear on. 

1 hour ago, ir_fuel said:

Does it make any sounds before turning off?

It may be that I am not yet an old hand with 80 kilometers driven. But that has nothing to do with my accident. I drove approx. 1 h in a warehouse (dry and clean, approx. 20°Celsius). The wheel switched itself off completely without warning. I only drove 30km/h at this one spot, otherwise between 5 and 15km/h. 
Such a thing must not happen! There should have been a warning signal or just braking. 
The app then indicated that all systems would work perfectly, but after that there was another 2 automatic shutdowns.
From my point of view it is irresponsible on the part of the manufacturer not to even want to investigate such a defect.

I ride the beep on my V8 all the time hitting 31km/h, but respect how hard i accelerate and decelerate. I also don't push my wheel as hard when the red battery indicator comes on (40% battery or less). I also weigh 65kg, so the wheel can handle it. If you are over 90kg, over-leaning can definitely make it cut out.

Edited by HarpMudd

3 hours ago, prasket said:

I personally know of 4 different people who have been injured and had they been wearing gear it provably wouldn't have happened.

How are you be able to prove such a thing?

2 hours ago, FastFraenzje said:

Directly from InMotion via Taobao

Ouch.

Good luck with that ...

The only way to get some kind of support, especially with this kind of cases is when using a local reseller. 

1 hour ago, HarpMudd said:

I ride the beep on my V8 all the time hitting 31km/h, but respect how hard i accelerate and decelerate. I also don't push my wheel as hard when the red battery indicator comes on (40% battery or less). I also weigh 65kg, so the wheel can handle it. If you are over 90kg, over-leaning can definitely make it cut out.

TBH if that's the way you ride you should seriously contemplate upgrading.

16 minutes ago, ir_fuel said:

TBH if that's the way you ride you should seriously contemplate upgrading.

I grew out of my V8 pretty quickly and it will soon be my backup.  My 16X arrives next Thursday. 

Edited by HarpMudd
  • Like 1

On 7/28/2019 at 5:26 PM, FastFraenzje said:

It may be that I am not yet an old hand with 80 kilometers driven. But that has nothing to do with my accident. I drove approx. 1 h in a warehouse (dry and clean, approx. 20°Celsius). The wheel switched itself off completely without warning. I only drove 30km/h at this one spot, otherwise between 5 and 15km/h. 
Such a thing must not happen! There should have been a warning signal or just braking. 
The app then indicated that all systems would work perfectly, but after that there was another 2 automatic shutdowns.

Why don't you provide more specific information on the conditions under which these happened?^* Only knowing that there were three "automatic shutdowns" at different speeds, it's almost impossible to make any educated guess about the suspected defect.

* like rider weight, battery charge status, acceleration/braking/load, road condition and inclination, state of the wheel when picked up afterwards