All the weight on the right leg

Eliran

Hello guys.

From about a week I'm feeling that I'm supporting all my weight on my right leg while I'm riding. When I try to "equalize" the weight on both legs (or force the left foot on the pedal), the EUC obviously goes to left. It's very strange. 

I have about 600 km on EUCs , so it can be a begginer's feeling but it's starting to annoy me. I've never heard of anything that seems to be close to this. 

The posture problems I read about are plantar fasciitis or anything like it but this "one leg riding" feeling is bothering me a lot.

In time, after half an hour riding this way, the pain on my legs force me to stop few seconds and then ride again.

When I force myself to relax both legs, the pain decreases a bit.

Sometimes I even have the feeling that I'm riding a little bit diagonal compared to the EUC axis.

I'm very concerned........

Any clue that can help me?

Thanks in advance.

It sounds like you just need to build up your EUC muscles, although I’d probably check your foot position as well.  I suggest carving back and forth until you’re comfortable with both directions. That forces each leg to switch dominance as you turn directions. 

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, Eliran said:

From about a week I'm feeling that I'm supporting all my weight on my right leg while I'm riding. When I try to "equalize" the weight on both legs (or force the left foot on the pedal), the EUC obviously goes to left. It's very strange. 

EUCs have a tendency to even out bodies, because otherwise they don't go straight.

You can go to Walgreens; there is usually a shoe sole fitting machine that measures foot pressure for both feet. Stand in it and see if you're even. Most everyone is unbalanced, some dramatically so.

• Upvote 2

@Eliran, it seems very unlikely that you actually support all your weight with one leg. To do this you either have to slant the wheel quite a bit to the other side or you get a lot of pressure from the shell on your inner lower leg.

A few somewhat random thoughts which are useful exercises anyway and may give some insight here:

• Check whether you apply pressure with the inner lower legs and practice a little to ride without any contact to understand how then changing the left-right weight distribution directly slants the wheel to one side or the other.
  • Lift the forefoot of one leg and the heel of the other leg and do this both ways (left and right exchanged). One can do this without changing the speed or the wheel position otherwise. This may adjust the feeling of how much weight is on one side or the other.
  • Upvote 1

Thank you very much guys for all those precisou advices.

From the pressure feet machine to the exercise, I´ll try them all.  In time I´ll return with the results.

All the best.

Eliran

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, LanghamP said:

EUCs have a tendency to even out bodies, because otherwise they don't go straight.

You can go to Walgreens; there is usually a shoe sole fitting machine that measures foot pressure for both feet. Stand in it and see if you're even. Most everyone is unbalanced, some dramatically so.

Just a heads up if you have a Nintendo Wii and balance board you can do the pressure test on that too!

3 hours ago, AlexEssex said:

Just a heads up if you have a Nintendo Wii and balance board you can do the pressure test on that too!

Don't have one but I'll some friend or friend's son should have it. Otherwise some sports shoes shop may have it

I'm also a 600km mid-newbie and I've had a similar but not as intense feeling.  I suspect it's partly from my launches, where I wind up with my launch foot jammed against the body and my step on foot placed hurriedly wherever it winds up.
I find as I get more comfortable, I'm getting better at shifting my weight around to reposition my feet while riding.  It's also helping with foot soreness a bit.

Please let us know if you find the cause, and good luck!

4 minutes ago, TonyGrayCanada said:

I'm also a 600km mid-newbie and I've had a similar but not as intense feeling.  I suspect it's partly from my launches, where I wind up with my launch foot jammed against the body and my step on foot placed hurriedly wherever it winds up.
I find as I get more comfortable, I'm getting better at shifting my weight around to reposition my feet while riding.  It's also helping with foot soreness a bit.

Please let us know if you find the cause, and good luck!

I hop up the wheel with the right foot and the I keep replacing the left foot searching the right spot, meanwhile all the weight on the right leg\foot

3 minutes ago, Eliran said:

I hop up the wheel with the right foot and the I keep replacing the left foot searching the right spot, meanwhile all the weight on the right leg\foot

Me too.  It really helped me to practice being able to reposition both feet while moving.  I still find this tricky though, so slow down and find a safe place to practice.  I nearly wiped out trying to do this at full speed.

It could be that you need to move your right foot out from the body a bit _after_ you launch.  My guess is that once you _can_ move that foot, you'll figure out the original problem.

I feel a bit cheeky giving advice as a newbie with so many experienced riders around, but what you described sounds familiar.

3 hours ago, TonyGrayCanada said:

Me too.  It really helped me to practice being able to reposition both feet while moving.  I still find this tricky though, so slow down and find a safe place to practice.  I nearly wiped out trying to do this at full speed.

It could be that you need to move your right foot out from the body a bit _after_ you launch.  My guess is that once you _can_ move that foot, you'll figure out the original problem.

I feel a bit cheeky giving advice as a newbie with so many experienced riders around, but what you described sounds familiar.

From now on, I usually put the right foot as far as I can and try to do the same on the left foot to make whit my body a triangle, as you said, to separate my lower legs from the EUC body.

No worries ato give me advices being as newbie as I am. I have no problems to be a slow learner ;-)

• Like 1

Two things that definitively improved (or lowered substantially) the problem are harder sports shoes soles and, the major difference, be more relaxed while riding

All Star shoes seems to be almost perfect to ride for me. It "spreads" the weight of my feet throughout the pedals and the comfort that comes from this makes me ride much better

Being relaxed, makes me "turn off" some muscles, so these are exactly the same muscles that makes my right leg feel like it weighs a ton.

I think that is a problem solved!

Thank you all guys for helping me out with some many good advices.

All the best

Eliran

I’m very familiar with the one-sided feeling, up to a point where riding anything narrower than a 3” tire reduces my riding distance a lot due to fatigue.

For me the root of the problem is a collapsing arch on my left foot. If I stand on solid ground and start bending my knees with relaxed feet and legs, my left knee turns inwards while my right one points straight ahead.

The effect when riding is twofold. When I crouch, my left knee turns inwards and touches the EUC shell, so it feels as if the wheel was tilting left. And since the inner ball of my left feet doesn’t share my weight as much as the right one, I have uneven weight distribution.

Countless failed shoe and insole purchases and combinations have of course led to better and better ones, but not nearly removed the problem. What has perhaps helped the most is the wide 3” tire of the MSX, which doesn’t care much wether my weight distribution is even or not. It rides straight anyway.

Memory foam insoles are usually crappy, in that they turn completely flat as a pancake once my feet get a bit warm. But I have found one pair that doesn’t do that as much. I wear them on top of my regular PU foam insoles that have a good arch support (Sofsole Arch Performance).

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, mrelwood said:

Memory foam insoles are usually crappy, in that they turn completely flat as a pancake once my feet get a bit warm. But I have found one pair that doesn’t do that as much. I wear them on top of my regular PU foam insoles that have a good arch support (Sofsole Arch Performance).

Don't you wear orthopaedic soles?

5 hours ago, mrelwood said:

me the root of the problem is a collapsing arch on my left foot. 

You might not have collapsed arches. I thought I had flat feet until I saw this video.

Basically, putting pressure on the outer edge of the foot makes the arch rigid, doing the opposite makes the arch collapse. Wearing shoes with a lot of support means the arch isn't rigid. However, just removing the support doesn't always work, because you have to know to put pressure on the edge of your foot in order to get that arch rigid.

I suspect pretty much everyone who complains they have flat feet don't actually have flat feet but simply step wrong. Turn your feet outward, put the force through the big toe while heel striking, and yeah of course you have flat feet. Guaranteed.

Comfortable modern shoes with arch support cause people to have bad feet.

• Upvote 1

On 7/28/2019 at 2:10 AM, AlexEssex said:

Out of curiosity, are balance boards a good exercise for training for EUCs ?

31 minutes ago, Gazza-usa said:

Out of curiosity, are balance boards a good exercise for training for EUCs ?

It's probably about as good as Guitar Hero is for playing a normal guitar.

• Upvote 1

On 8/5/2019 at 2:36 PM, ir_fuel said:

Don't you wear orthopaedic soles?

So far I’ve only tried consumer level ”orthopedic” insoles, but I did get a prescription for tailored ones, we’ll see how long it’ll take for me to get the appointment.

On 8/5/2019 at 8:16 PM, LanghamP said:

You might not have collapsed arches. I thought I had flat feet until I saw this video.

Wow, that actually made a lot of sense! I’ll be sure to try and stretch correctly to see if it would help. It does feel like the problematic left side calf is tighter than the right one.

I’ve been told having flat feet since I was about 10 years old, but I don’t recall anyone taking an actual good hard look.

Thank you for the link!

On 8/5/2019 at 8:16 PM, LanghamP said:

Comfortable modern shoes with arch support cause people to have bad feet.

I didn’t really have issues with my feet until I started riding longer trips. Since then I’ve only tried to find shoes and insoles that would help me ride the longest.

That’s of course not to say that there wouldn’t have been an underlying issue.

1 hour ago, mrelwood said:

Wow, that actually made a lot of sense! I’ll be sure to try and stretch correctly to see if it would help. It does feel like the problematic left side calf is tighter than the right one.

I was also surprised that, essentially, humans have conscious control over how flat and rigid they want their feet, that is, you can have as much arch as you want.

Most of us (all?) don't have flat feet, we simply choose to walk with our feet flat.