Electric popping 'explosions' new KS18XL

Gus

Got my Kingsong 18XL today. I'm very excited and it feels great...but there is something going on when turning the wheel on and off.
When turning the wheel on and off plus putting in and pulling out from chargin, the wheel makes a loud scratchy; popping or 'surgy' noises. Worrying indeed.

I figured I share some links to quickly show what is going on:

Charger, pulling out (delayed sound): 
https://photos.app.goo.gl/YsjhSnGKdebzd5gw8

Charger, plug in: 
https://photos.app.goo.gl/MAZhm6U8rfNWq6R98

Power on (the "poop" comes right away)
https://photos.app.goo.gl/mewm7pN5FaYy8G9X8

Power off (also right away)
https://photos.app.goo.gl/SP3EBNsWzcVmyJtt8

Would be very thankful for help from anyone or the Kingsong team like @US69.

Keeping my fingers crossed.
Thanks!

Edited by Gus
Improving the description and layout of the text

Wow you weren't kidding with "explosions"! The light even flashes shortly when you remove the charger in the first video.

Maybe the sound itself is from the speaker. What happens if you play music and then switch the wheel off? Does it also make that sound then?

7 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Wow you weren't kidding with "explosions"! The light even flashes shortly when you remove the charger in the first video.

Maybe the sound itself is from the speaker. What happens if you play music and then switch the wheel off? Does it also make that sound then?

Hi,

When I do that it goes to self balancing first and then the same story.

Like this :

https://photos.app.goo.gl/o1AfZ71CAJgCqQWB7

This is from wheellog when wheel is standing still.

Battery status: "In the discharge"

83% processing power 

......but I don't know what to look for either.

Screenshot_20190726-210017603.jpg

4 hours ago, Gus said:

Got my Kingsong 18XL today. I'm very excited and it feels great...but there is something going on when turning the wheel on and off.
When turning the wheel on and off plus putting in and pulling out from chargin, the wheel makes a loud scratchy; popping or 'surgy' noises. Worrying indeed.

I figured I share some links to quickly show what is going on:

Charger, pulling out (delayed sound): 
https://photos.app.goo.gl/YsjhSnGKdebzd5gw8

Charger, plug in: 
https://photos.app.goo.gl/MAZhm6U8rfNWq6R98

Power on (the "poop" comes right away)
https://photos.app.goo.gl/mewm7pN5FaYy8G9X8

Power off (also right away)
https://photos.app.goo.gl/SP3EBNsWzcVmyJtt8

Would be very thankful for help from anyone or the Kingsong team like @US69.

Keeping my fingers crossed.
Thanks!

We never unplug first the extreme of the charger which is connected to the wheel. Please remove the opposite side, wait the ligth of the charger to be off, and then unplug from the wheel. To connect the wheel to the power, do the inverse proccess. First plug in the (disconnected) charger to the wheel, and secondly plug in the charger to the electric power.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Patricio Bohórquez Rodríguez de Medina said:

We never unplug first the extreme of the charger which is connected to the wheel. Please remove the opposite side, wait the ligth of the charger to be off, and then unplug from the wheel. To connect the wheel to the power, do the inverse proccess. First plug in the (disconnected) charger to the wheel, and secondly plug in the charger to the electric power.

Is that the offical charging routine from Kingsong?
The 'explosions' are the same however when doing it the way you're advocating i.e I tried both.

I appreciate your comment even though it doesn't adress thurning the wheel on and off, which is the other problem.

This is the way I always do i:

Plug charger to wall, insert to charge port on the wheel. 

I never power on the wheel while charging. 

Once App (KS or Wheelog) says I am about 95%chRged, the I unplugthe charger from wheel first then from the wall. 

I never had any issues doing this. If you connect to wheel first then battery would surge into the PSU. And when conneting to wall this could surge a spike too. 

But I am sure @US69 can shed some light on what KS recommends. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Other wheels don't have the explosion thing going on, no matter which way you do the plugging in (which doesn't really matter nowadays). That's the alarming thing. Unexplained behavior like this always needs investigating.

What does the seller say about this?

Same here.  I think calling it an "explosion" is blowing things a bit out of proportion.  I get louder noises out of some of my audio amps when turned on/off, and that's all we are hearing in this case:  a turn on/turn off transient from the audio amp through the speakers.

I know on mine, it's also possible to hear a "hiss" through the speakers when charging if you listen closely.  It's nothing to be concerned about, just more noise from the audio circuit.

• Upvote 1

Same here as well, it always makes a pop sound when you unplug. When charging, I believe the Bluetooth speakers are on, so when you unplug you hear a discharge pop sound. It’s normal. 

Edited by Daniel-Son
  • Like 1

My KS 18L don't do it but that is a 1st gen/batch with stress sensor motor cutoff system. I know of 1 KS 18XL that don't do it either, but he is also KS18XL 1st gen/batch (for the XL) with stress sensor system.

I have a suspicion that those of you that have the new mechanical spring loaded lift sensor, are the once hearing this or a new board version maybe.

• Upvote 2

29 minutes ago, Unventor said:

I have a suspicion that those of you that have the new mechanical spring loaded lift sensor, are the once hearing this or a new board version maybe.

This is hilarious, if true. It would mean that, AGAIN, Kingsong, makers of electric ridables and designers of electrical parts, have forgotten about electromagnetism:facepalm:

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Unventor said:

My KS 18L don't do it but that is a 1st gen/batch with stress sensor motor cutoff system. I know of 1 KS 18XL that don't do it either, but he is also KS18XL 1st gen/batch (for the XL) with stress sensor system.

Mine's a 1st batch too, with the (annoyingly inaccurate and buggy) stress/pressure sensor, and I have no electric popcorn in my wheel either :efee612b4b:

54 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

This is hilarious, if true. It would mean that, AGAIN, Kingsong, makers of electric ridables and designers of electrical parts, have forgotten about electromagnetism:facepalm:

We've got A few puns going around for GW (Nikola overheating, "glue boards" and whatnot 😅)... Any ideas for a KS pun? King-of-Magnetism? The King's (popping) Song? Can't think of anything better at the moment... (I know, those were REALLY bad...) 😅

BTW, what were the other instances of KS electromagnetism issues? I have to say, I'm still amazed (and at the same time, sadly, not surprised) there are such (BASIC!) design flaws and quality control issues with such expensive wheels... 

P. P. S. How long ago were you promoted to admit, meep? 

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, travsformation said:

Mine's a 1st batch too, with the (annoyingly inaccurate and buggy) stress/pressure sensor, 

That can be sorted. Mine is 99% accurate. Trick is to have the stress sensor screw not tighten. It is better to be a little loose that too tight. After that lock it with that loctight lacker (the red stuff) assembled the case and turn wheel back on. Then go through the lift sensor calibration. You should be good to got. 

• Upvote 1

@travsformation

"The Kingsong of my people engineers"? Sorry can't come up with something good. But it should rather be app and firmware related, which is the big reason for issues, confusion, and general face-palm-inducing crazyness on KS wheels. Maybe something with "Illegal manufacturer" or "Sorry this manufacturer couldn't connect to the electromagnetic competence server" or something;)

The other instance was the 1st batch 18L rattling/oscillating/going crazy, which was apparently due to a lack of electromagnetic shielding somewhere.

About 5 weeks ago they added a few new mods, me included.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Maybe, but in comparison my PC speakers to my desktop do the same thing. It is when the amplifier charge or discharge. Same goes for my LG oled TV with LG SG9 sounbar/sub system too. 

When ever you have 2 products with own electronic boards and power supply. There might very well be multiple boot sequence in the wheel. 

We have that in out multifunction laserprinter too that my company makes (or whom I am employed by😉). 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Unventor said:

Mine is a 3rd batch KS-18L, with the 2nd revision (silver) trolley handle, not the 3rd revision (black) one that they put on the KS-18XL.  It still uses the stress sensor cutoff system.

On ‎7‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 2:08 PM, Unventor said:

This is the way I always do i:

Plug charger to wall, insert to charge port on the wheel. 

I never power on the wheel while charging. 

Once App (KS or Wheelog) says I am about 95%chRged, the I unplugthe charger from wheel first then from the wall. 

I never had any issues doing this. If you connect to wheel first then battery would surge into the PSU. And when conneting to wall this could surge a spike too. 

But I am sure @US69 can shed some light on what KS recommends. 

Thats the correct way!

First the charger has to be plugged into the wall...and THEN into the Wheel.

It is not that important on Kingsong wheels...Nothing happens if you do otherway around.

But unprotected wheels like GW...you really Need to pay Attention to this!

@Gus

What you are Hearing are the Speakers making a Sound.

Please:

Connect the Wheel to Bluetooth when powered on! I mean in the Options: Go and connect "Kingsong Music" there!

When you have done this...your Speakers shouldn't Pop anymore. Therefore you should be greeted with a "Bluetooth is connected" everytime the charger is plugged in.

• Upvote 3