chrisjunlee's first wheel log: Gotway mten3

chrisjunlee

4 hours ago, chrisjunlee said:

== Day 13, Sat 7/5/2019 == 

Crashed at 18.6 mph.

Decided to put some serious mileage on the mten3. Woke up early morning, and went out to Discovery Park. It's such a gorgeous place, with beach and lots of wild blackberries.

Image may contain: plant, nature and outdoor

Headed back home, charged the battery, and back out to check out another park.

Took the Burke Gilman bicycle trail, and somewhere along the way there was a 2" tall patched bump hiding blending within the dappled shadows.

Before I know it, I've caught a bit of air, landed, and my heels are asymmetrically jolted far forward - at that moment, I realize I'm going down, no way about that. I do what I can to shift my weight back and down. Back in order to brake, and more importantly bias a fall backwards (best case fall) vs tumbling forward (worst case fall). Down in order to lower the impact of fall (y-axis potential energy - yes, I'm still a physicist at heart).

Next frame, I'm down, y-axis kinetic energy absorbed by my thicc butt, x-axis energy scrubbed off by my jacket.

Image may contain: outdoor

RIP favorite pair of jeans. No skin broken, just a sore butt.

I ride on sporting my fresh assless chaps.

Mileage: 42 miles. Twas a great day.

The jolt you get when you hit an unexpected bump wouldn't have been so bad if you had bigger pedals.  the stock mten3 pedals are too small for grown adults riding for distance.  Considering how much you seem to enjoy riding long distances, it may be time for you to get yourself an 18 incher (or one of the wide 16" wheels e.g. 16X, Nikola).

I'm glad you're ok, but 42 miles on an Mten3 takes a LOT of dedication! :)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, chrisjunlee said:

== Day 13, Sat 7/5/2019 == 

Crashed at 18.6 mph.

Decided to put some serious mileage on the mten3. Woke up early morning, and went out to Discovery Park. It's such a gorgeous place, with beach and lots of wild blackberries.

Headed back home, charged the battery, and back out to check out another park.

Took the Burke Gilman bicycle trail, and somewhere along the way there was a 2" tall patched bump hiding blending within the dappled shadows.

Before I know it, I've caught a bit of air, landed, and my heels are asymmetrically jolted far forward - at that moment, I realize I'm going down, no way about that. I do what I can to shift my weight back and down. Back in order to brake, and more importantly bias a fall backwards (best case fall) vs tumbling forward (worst case fall). Down in order to lower the impact of fall (y-axis potential energy - yes, I'm still a physicist at heart).

Next frame, I'm down, y-axis kinetic energy absorbed by my thicc butt, x-axis energy scrubbed off by my jacket.

Image may contain: outdoor

RIP favorite pair of jeans. No skin broken, just a sore butt.

I ride on sporting my fresh assless chaps.

Mileage: 42 miles. Twas a great day.

Love your attitude :cheers:

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Ben Kim said:

Considering how much you seem to enjoy riding long distances, it may be time for you to get yourself an 18 incher (or one of the wide 16" wheels e.g. 16X, Nikola).

I'm glad you're ok, but 42 miles on an Mten3 takes a LOT of dedication! :)

I'm just putting in the miles for experience. Love the process of learning and improving.

Just picked up a MCM5, started a thread on that as well :)

5 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Told you so:efeebb3acc: The good thing, the fall had no big consequences (even though ruining clothing sucks... and adds up) but it is always a great learning experience to have one. Grounds one's perception. I hope the wheel is ok:efeebb3acc:

I swear I thought about you, you nailed the date! 😂🤣

• Upvote 2

I wonder about your technique, as we are both newbie riders and take mten3 to heights not many people do. Maybe you want to share some of your ride video?

Yet I think riding at >30kmh on stock tyre and small pedals is kind of reckless (assuming even proper protection - full face, wrist and knee guards). As strange as it is I consider asphalt as quite dangerous, it allows for a greater speed yet at the same time it is harder to see bumps...

Finally, I don't think skateboarders consider fall on butt as anything as safe. The chances of breaking tailbones are quite high and those are very hard to heal...

16 hours ago, LucasD said:

I wonder about your technique, as we are both newbie riders and take mten3 to heights not many people do. Maybe you want to share some of your ride video?

Yet I think riding at >30kmh on stock tyre and small pedals is kind of reckless (assuming even proper protection - full face, wrist and knee guards). As strange as it is I consider asphalt as quite dangerous, it allows for a greater speed yet at the same time it is harder to see bumps...

I put in some quality hours in a parking garage working on slow speed maneuvers and trying things out. And being my first wheel, it's so scruffed up at this point, that I don't care about risking dropping it. I'm so nimble on this, I love it. 

16 hours ago, LucasD said:

Finally, I don't think skateboarders consider fall on butt as anything as safe. The chances of breaking tailbones are quite high and those are very hard to heal...

• Fall forward: smash your face (expensive dental and jaw reconstruction), break your wrists, elbows and knees. And a giant wheel tumbling after you.
  • Fall backward: tailbone and back of head if you don't know how to tuck your chin in (first thing they teach you in judo)

Take your pick.

• Fall forward: smash your face (expensive dental and jaw reconstruction), break your wrists, elbows and knees. And a giant wheel tumbling after you.
  • Fall backward: tailbone and back of head if you don't know how to tuck your chin in (first thing they teach you in judo)

Take your pick.

In falling backwards you also break your wrists and so on. 

And if equivalent force of number one happened tucking your head may give you nice force amplification in following whiplash.

Falling backwards is good skill to have, but humans were designed to fall forwards (if you talk about chin up then roll is your friend)...

One advantage EUC if you lean back you start to break hard, so it may be in the end beneficial as energy is mv^2

Edited by LucasD

10 minutes ago, LucasD said:

In falling backwards you also break your wrists and so on. 

And if equivalent force of number one happened tucking your head may give you nice force amplification in following whiplash.

Falling backwards is good skill to have, but humans were designed to fall forwards (if you talk about chin up then roll is your friend)...

One advantage EUC if you lean back you start to break hard, so it may be in the end beneficial as energy is mv^2

I can't tell if you're trolling or serious.

Take your pick.

or fall forward to a side and let the meat of your arm and gear (elbow/knee pads) take the hit. can’t teach that, but falling on your side is the path of least damage if you’re forced to bail  

Tailbones dont heal all that quickly and can lead to back problems if you’re unlucky. 

4 minutes ago, Ben Kim said:

or fall forward to a side and let the meat of your arm and gear (elbow/knee pads) take the hit. can’t teach that, but falling on your side is the path of least damage if you’re forced to bail  

Tailbones dont heal all that quickly and can lead to back problems if you’re unlucky. 

I've gone down at speed on motorcycles, from 20mph to 90+ mph. I have never, ever hit my tailbone. It's landing on one buttcheek/side, then a lonnnnng slide to scrub off speed. I've had one forward crash, and that was the worst - horizontal velocity has a tendency to become rotational when you tumble forward.

I don't know a single motorcyclist that would say crashing forward (highside) is better than falling backwards (lowside).

I'm guessing that skateboard wisdom is based on experiences at much lower speeds, the bulk of it being < 8 mph learning falls. In those cases, it's always better to fall forwards, since you can run it off and/or land on your feet.

At higher speeds, well, it's clear I'm not going to change your minds. I speak from personal experience, not just armchair conjecturing, but your welcome to believe what you want.

2 hours ago, chrisjunlee said:

I've gone down at speed on motorcycles, from 20mph to 90+ mph. I have never, ever hit my tailbone. It's landing on one buttcheek/side, then a lonnnnng slide to scrub off speed. I've had one forward crash, and that was the worst - horizontal velocity has a tendency to become rotational when you tumble forward.

I don't know a single motorcyclist that would say crashing forward (highside) is better than falling backwards (lowside).

I'm guessing that skateboard wisdom is based on experiences at much lower speeds, the bulk of it being < 8 mph learning falls. In those cases, it's always better to fall forwards, since you can run it off and/or land on your feet.

At higher speeds, well, it's clear I'm not going to change your minds. I speak from personal experience, not just armchair conjecturing, but your welcome to believe what you want.

So from what you are saying it is more fall backwards on the side. On motorbike it would be hard to fall directly on "ass". On EUC is different story...

Falling directly backwards  would most likely break your tailbone and wrist (snowboarders problem).

But falling to back low-side while braking I see advantage

Edited by LucasD
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Chris, just want to say Hi and I also got the Mten3 as my first wheel. I did everything that most people advise not to do, I start learning on grass but do manage to ride on two days. It's very fun and now am considering getting a bigger wheel, MSX or Nikola.  One thing though, did you try to install a trolley for your Mten3?

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Tintin said:

Hi Chris, just want to say Hi and I also got the Mten3 as my first wheel. I did everything that most people advise not to do, I start learning on grass but do manage to ride on two days. It's very fun and now am considering getting a bigger wheel, MSX or Nikola.  One thing though, did you try to install a trolley for your Mten3?

I looked into it, but couldn't justify the cost. 

@greentunghas the OEM handle installed - $60. The lower mounting brackets are nice.

@Marty Backefabricated his own from spare parts - $20. He used long bolts as his lower brackets.

@houseofjobcause we miss him.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I have trolley for 60$ (paid 55),  slightly expensive, but looking what people spend one something stupid and given DIY incur extra cost plus more time it is worth it. 

I know carrying mten3 beyonnd 50 meters gets super tiring (I did it for first rides)...

Still if upgrade goes would put:

1. New tyre type 2, 15$

2. Nikola pedals (best overall but most expensive)

3. Trolley (nice for walking, minor inconvenience riding)

On 7/27/2019 at 2:44 PM, chrisjunlee said:

I looked into it, but couldn't justify the cost. 

@greentunghas the OEM handle installed - $60. The lower mounting brackets are nice.

@Marty Backefabricated his own from spare parts - $20. He used long bolts as his lower brackets.

@houseofjobcause we miss him.

I agree, $60 is too excessive...

• chrisjunlee changed the title to chrisjunlee's first wheel log: Gotway mten3

== random update ==

Haven't been riding the mten3 as much since I have the Gotway MCM5 and Kingsong 16X. That's not to say that I've 'grown out' of the mten3 - that's nonsense, the mten3 is still my favorite wheel :).

Switching between wheels takes quite an adjustment. The first time I switched back to my MCM5, I went straight into a bush 🌳.

And I feel whenever I switch back to a wheel, I'm at 70% where I was when I left that wheel. 

With that said, I have relegated the mten3 as my no-gear, no-helmet < 10 mph, relaxed errand wheel. 

Enjoy

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, chrisjunlee said:

== random update ==

Haven't been riding the mten3 as much since I have the Gotway MCM5 and Kingsong 16X. That's not to say that I've 'grown out' of the mten3 - that's nonsense, the mten3 is still my favorite wheel :).

Switching between wheels takes quite an adjustment. The first time I switched back to my MCM5, I went straight into a bush 🌳.

And I feel whenever I switch back to a wheel, I'm at 70% where I was when I left that wheel. 

With that said, I have relegated the mten3 as my no-gear, no-helmet < 10 mph, relaxed errand wheel. 

Enjoy

I would still advise you to wear wrist guards :)

• Like 2

On 7/6/2019 at 6:11 PM, chrisjunlee said:

== Day 11 - Wed, 7/4/2019 ==

Did a late night ride and was assaulted on the way back home.

I was tired so wanted to roll down the sidewalks at a slow pace, and a huge guy (6'0+ 300+lbs) was hulk walking his way up towards me. I slowed down to a crawl, and moved far right, and he veers into me, shoulder checking me hard in the chest. It was one of those bodywide winding hits, but I managed to land on my feet. He marches on telling me to stay on the road. 

I call 911 and trail the guy, operator tells me to not pursue. Ok? The police take over 30 minutes to arrive. Guy is long gone, they can't do anything. It is so easy to get away with crime, where's my tax money even going to?

That sucks, especially since you were respectfully going slow. Glad you're okay.