chrisjunlee's first wheel log: Gotway mten3

chrisjunlee

== Day 11 - Wed, 7/4/2019 ==

Doing laps around Greenlake to gain experience. I love wowing people as I pass by them. Kids and adults are equally jaw dropped: "WOAAAH, WHAT IS THAT?!".  

I try out the different ride settings available in the gotway app:

• leisure mode: there is inertia in the pedals when accelerating/decelerating. I don't like it.
  • medium mode: didn't try it (I wanted to just try out the extremes)
  • sport mode: instantly responsive, what I'm used to.

At this point, I'm comfortable enough to be taking screenshots at this speed and load while weaving past cyclists. 

I'm in love with this wheel 😍

No photo description available.

Edited by chrisjunlee
  • Upvote 3

55 minutes ago, chrisjunlee said:

40 psi: *mten wobbles in maniacal laughter* 🔥🔥🔥
30 psi: manageable
20 psi: like I'm on solid ground - too easy, stabler than a onewheel 🐌

This led me to a deep dive through engineering papers on tire pressures. There is no 'right' or 'optimal' tire pressure - that's an oversimplified fallacy. For this wheel, anything from 3psi to 100+psi is fine - but there are tradeoffs. Fascinating. Absolutely fascinating.

I'll be running 30psi for now, since that's manageable at my skill level. Tempted to drop it to 20psi.

Sounds about right. I generally shoot for the low 30s when I inflate mine.

57 minutes ago, chrisjunlee said:

== Day 9 - Tues, 7/2/2019 ==

First time riding in the rain. Meet up with another wheeler for a long ride. He has a kingsong 18XL, and I can't for the life of me ride it. It feels like a freight train compared to my mten3, so nimble unicycles are now the biased norm to me. 

We do a 15 mile loop, and it was definitely a taxing and skill growth ride to me. I'm just impressed with how capable this mten3 is.

The MTen3 was also my first wheel. Like you, I, too, found my first experience with a larger wheel utterly foreign. "Freight train" puts it well. Turning a ~17-incher felt like I was asking a giant slab of metal to come crashing down onto my ankles.

But you will want a bigger wheel sooner than you might have thought, especially if you're already doing trips where you're actually trying to get somewhere. Beyond straight-line balance, the skills you learn on the MTen3 may not seem to transfer, but your patience and confidence of ultimately mastering the beast will. (A 14" wheel will not be as challenging a jump as 17"+.)

Always fun reliving the newbie ups and downs. Thanks for sharing!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

10 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

== Day 13, Fri 7/6/2019 ==

Had a big crash because I was zipping around overexcitedly at 30kph on an mten3 while taking screenshots and missed a pothole.

-

Make sure this doesn't happen;) This was a real fun read so far so keep it that way:D

OMG. I did a double take "Wait, did I crash so bad that I forgot about it 😚". You got me there XD

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, houseofjob said:

Also, I'm not sure if the MTen3 is still shipping with that God awful Mini/Mini Pro tire (this tire tread pattern was meant for 2 wheel pair in-tandem, not by itself; pulls artificially one way if used alone), but if it does, I would highly recommend swapping it out for the "Type/Version II" variety.

I did my homework and ordered that a week ago! We're on point. 

The main thing I'm worried about is the battery failure that Marty ran into. It's always in the back of my mind whenever I'm cruising faster than 10mph.

Proper PSI is largely based on the elasticity of the tire compound, your rider payload that is pushing down on it, and overall personal preference.

I'm sure you've come across this, but too low a PSI, and you're liable to bend your rim on hitting a bad enough pothole.

I personally aim for a PSI that is firm, but has a taste of bounce, when I'm mounted on the wheel, and this number is not absolute, will vary with the wheel setup.

Yup yup. I spent a night deep diving into engineering whitepapers on tire pressure. It is fascinating. The whole concept of tire deflection is so elegant.

In order to mitigate the increased deflection of lower pressures, I've pre-emptively ordered that type II tire.

remember, you don't have to lean with both sides of your body, nor do you have to lean with the wheel fully upright. Thus, there are ways to accelerate the wheel while still staying relatively stacked and center of the wheel vertical plane, thus avoiding the unsafe Michael Jackson/Superman lean.

Wow. I think that's something I'll be able to understand and pick up on a bigger wheel. I'm barely able to adjust my foot position on the mten3 without it going out of control.

I find the wider feet you go, the more it negates the unfamiliar wheel physics.

Also, bigger diameter wheels mean higher center of gravity, so you must utilize maneuvering from the hips and torso, as opposed to the much smaller MTen3, where you can get away from maneuvering knee down.

Your insights are screaming for a series on unicycle kinematics.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, chrisjunlee said:

OMG. I did a double take "Wait, did I crash so bad that I forgot about it 😚". You got me there XD

The point is, wear wrist guards and be aware every tiny bump is out to get the mten3 at high speeds:)

25 minutes ago, chrisjunlee said:

The main thing I'm worried about is the battery failure that Marty ran into.

They strengthened that connector in response to Marty's failure on his first batch (I think) mten3. And even that just happened as he blocked the motor/tire completely. I know of no other such failure, especially after Gotway's improvement, or a technical mten3 cutout in general.

As always, don't worry about the tech, the tech is very fine. Worry about what is really going to get you (bumps and cars and excited overleaning).

• Upvote 1

By the way @houseofjob, as a former content creator myself, I absolutely love your content. Your youtube channel is the only euc channel I've subscribed to.

Things you're doing that are best in class among all unicycle vloggers:

• sheer value per minute. You just drop technical insights in a conversational manner. You don't waste time rambling. It's very casey neistat focused.
  • great analogies that vividly stick. For instance, I've watched a bunch of videos on the ninebot z10, but yours is the only one I remember. Why?  "with the z10, you steamroll 🐘"
  • Neistat style ADDHD elements (sound effects and overlays) without it being obnoxiously Neistat. As presenters, it's our job to entertain and captivate the audience. You strike that balance without it coming off as try hard.
  • bringing in other "storytelling" structures. Out of all the 16x videos I've watched, none hold a candle to your KING SONG KS16X NYC DEMO. Part I found brilliant? Getting the perspective of every rider. That single episode delivers the nuanced multi-faceted understanding that would've traditionally required watching 10 other videos. You do it in a single episode. That's the episode that won my sub.

As a technical person, I understand and appreciate your content. However, my type is just a tiny fraction of the viewerbase. 

With that said, there is one low hanging fruit you can tap into to explode your channel: clickbaity thumbnails and titles. On one of Casey's vlogs, he admits his youtube success is mostly due to his clickbait. That's of course, assuming you want to take things to the next level. You're already doing the hardest part - delivering value in an engaging manner. You just need the 10x volume that a well polished thumbnail and title can bring in. The best in class for that direction, is of course the Asian Neistat, @Kuji Rolls.

• Upvote 2

17 hours ago, chrisjunlee said:

I did my homework and ordered that a week ago! We're on point. 

The main thing I'm worried about is the battery failure that Marty ran into. It's always in the back of my mind whenever I'm cruising faster than 10mph.

Yup yup. I spent a night deep diving into engineering whitepapers on tire pressure. It is fascinating. The whole concept of tire deflection is so elegant.

In order to mitigate the increased deflection of lower pressures, I've pre-emptively ordered that type II tire.

Wow. I think that's something I'll be able to understand and pick up on a bigger wheel. I'm barely able to adjust my foot position on the mten3 without it going out of control.

Your insights are screaming for a series on unicycle kinematics.

It's been a long time, but at one point I did talk to Jason about this and he confirmed that Gotway modified how the Mten3 battery pack was fabricated, to avoid what happened to me.

So you're safe. I wouldn't worry about.

I've enjoyed reading your story here. Glad that you are loving the Mten3 :cheers: I'm beginning to believe that it's a great wheel to learn on, but when moving to a bigger wheel you'll feel like a beginner again :D  But the Mten3 will always be a super fun wheel to have.

• Upvote 3

Congrats on learning on what I consider to be one of the hardest wheels to learn on, the other being the Luffy which is the much cheaper, lower powered version of the Mten3. 

I learned on the Luffy and I almost gave up. In retrospect, the short height of it and the inability to securely brace it against your legs made learning to ride so much more difficult. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Marty Backe said:

It's been a long time, but at one point I did talk to Jason about this and he confirmed that Gotway modified how the Mten3 battery pack was fabricated, to avoid what happened to me.

So you're safe. I wouldn't worry about.

I've enjoyed reading your story here. Glad that you are loving the Mten3 :cheers: I'm beginning to believe that it's a great wheel to learn on, but when moving to a bigger wheel you'll feel like a beginner again :D  But the Mten3 will always be a super fun wheel to have.

Marty! Your videos and posts gave me the courage to plunge into EUCs with the mten3! I wasn't even sold on the idea of EUCs until I saw your mten3 clips - it was eye opening seeing how maneuverable an EUC can be in such a tiny space.

I got a chance to try out the 18XL, and you're right, I couldn't even nudge forward an inch on it.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, chrisjunlee said:

Marty! Your videos and posts gave me the courage to plunge into EUCs with the mten3! I wasn't even sold on the idea of EUCs until I saw your mten3 clips - it was eye opening seeing how maneuverable an EUC can be in such a tiny space.

I got a chance to try out the 18XL, and you're right, I couldn't even nudge forward an inch on it.

Lots of fun times ahead for you. EUC's can be life altering :)

17 hours ago, chrisjunlee said:

== Day 12 - Thurs, 7/5/2019 ==

I'm hesitant to ride out in the streets after the last night's incident. I want to get my daily practice in, so I head over to my work's garage to practice some drills.

Not feeling too motivated - a can of red bull changes that 💥

I'm finding myself so much more agile and bold tonight - probably the redbull. That leads me to trying to see what happens when you try to drift the wheel sideways at speed - you do a 180 and carry speed! Before I would always slow down to a crawl before turning - this is fun! It feels as if my body is leaning 30° and the weight is all in the inner heel. 

🍍 Tip: I cross my arms to promote good form and not rely on them as balancing levers. 

I want to work on going backwards, since @Marty Backe mentioned it as a synergistic skill. I start off with push off wall technique, and after a hundred iterations, I find it's easier to have two side supports. This is the progress after 3 hours: 

You found a nice place to help with the backward riding training. Just keep doing it and build up the muscle memory.

Regarding your turns, you should just about never get a pedal scrape. Work on adding more of a body twisting motion to get the Mten3 to turn. In this way the pedals will barely tip. This does require firm tire pressure. I run mine at the maximum listed tire pressure which allows me to almost spin on a dime. The lower the pressure the less agile the Mten3 becomes and the more pedal dip you'll get.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

18 hours ago, chrisjunlee said:

== Day 11 - Wed, 7/4/2019 ==

Did a late night ride and was assaulted on the way back home.

I was tired so wanted to roll down the sidewalks at a slow pace, and a huge guy (6'0+ 300+lbs) was hulk walking his way up towards me. I slowed down to a crawl, and moved far right, and he veers into me, shoulder checking me hard in the chest. It was one of those bodywide winding hits, but I managed to land on my feet. He marches on telling me to stay on the road. 

I call 911 and trail the guy, operator tells me to not pursue. Ok? The police take over 30 minutes to arrive. Guy is long gone, they can't do anything. It is so easy to get away with crime, where's my tax money even going to?

This is really bizarre. I've never experienced any aggression like this, and it's sad to read about :(  I do think I'd continue trailing the guy from a distance if possible.

Let's hope this is your one and only bad experience. I thought Seattle was more friendly towards the e-crowd.

On 7/6/2019 at 6:11 PM, chrisjunlee said:

Oh 💩, that's f*'d up, but unfortunately not the first story I've heard.

Glad you're ok, and I would recommend staying the maximum distance away from pedestrians, cyclists, cars obviously, etc, and use speed and their blindsides to quickly pass them and avoid confrontation. Also, this is reminding me I really need to finally up and buy a dashcam-like solution 

On 7/6/2019 at 6:45 PM, chrisjunlee said:

That leads me to trying to see what happens when you try to drift the wheel sideways at speed - you do a 180 and carry speed! 

I learned from @Citi Wheel that you can swing your arms and literally twist-pivot the tire on pavement even harder to achieve a bigger degree of instantaneous turning, ala how tires slide on pavement when drifting.

Then, once you get the hang of backwards, you just do a fast and short 90 degree turn, then twist-pivot harder in the same turn direction at the tail end of the turn, so that you do a kind of manufactured 180 into backwards, still rolling in the same original forward direction when flipped backwards.

On 7/6/2019 at 6:11 PM, chrisjunlee said:

I want to work on going backwards, since @Marty Backe mentioned it as a synergistic skill. 

Good! Now cock back more with your bum to keep going backwards, like you are just about to initiate a back squat.

And don't be dainty about keeping the wheel going in a straight line; s-curve as much as needed.

And also, be light with your feet if you can. Being able to alternately raise your heels and toes on the pedals (no flat Frankenstein-plodding feet) will give you more fine control / error correction with EUC riding in general.

Edited by houseofjob
  • Like 2

On 7/6/2019 at 12:11 PM, chrisjunlee said:

Stranger danger!  Whenever I noticed I am being approached by people I don't know or recognize, I glance and avoid them and don't make eye contact if they are even closer. I tend to fail since most of the new batch of female jehovah witnesses have been looking mighty attractive lately, trapped! yes, yes, god will judge yadda yadda yadda..15minutes of my life taken yet again.

On 7/8/2019 at 1:52 AM, houseofjob said:

Also, this is reminding me I really need to finally up and buy a dashcam-like solution 

I'm still awaiting my wheel, but I intend to use my 2 extra 1080p action cams making some sort of  mount for front and rear since its small cameras (keep it stealth, discreet too for that matter).  Shit happens everyday on the street, and nevertheless even with my intention to avoid traffic congestion/random ppl  there's always gonna be that one 2 second incident where having it recorded justifies the trouble.  I'm thinking I'll probably 3-D print an enclosure to match and hide the camera blending in with part of the wheel.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, chrisjunlee said:

== Day 13, Sat 7/5/2019 == 

Crashed at 18.6 mph.

Glad you're ok. Could have been a lot worse. I've probably only taken my mten3 up to those speeds a couple of times for short bursts on known, smooth terrain. It's a wheel without rival in the slow game -- tight turns, backwards tricks, mingling with pedestrians and such -- but it's just not a good cruising wheel. It's unforgivably bouncy when taking bumps at speed, and it loves to pull into ridges and grooves. With more riding experience, the suspension system that is your feet and legs will improve and give you a larger buffer against the sort of encounter that threw you -- but for the kind of riding you're doing, I would strongly suggest getting a wheel with a larger diameter.

• Upvote 1

• chrisjunlee changed the title to chrisjunlee's first wheel log: Gotway mten3