Which is the best EUC manufacturer?

ian5708

Which is the best ECU manufacturer in terms of the following:

Reliability including the app. 

Durability and longevity ie, waterproofness, strength of case and pedals

Resilience of battery

Component safety (ie a battery that isn't likely to internally combust, ECU that isn't going to shut down mid ride!! ) 

Customer service, support and warranty honouring, dealer back up and support

Length of warranty period

Ease of consumer replacing parts, tyres, battery, electronic components. 

I know like many things such as motorbikes, bikes etc, people like what they ride and there is likely going to be some bias here

However, if you were to buy your first ECU now, what would you buy and why? 

I currently ride an inmotion V10. 

Edited by ian5708

19 hours ago, ian5708 said:

Reliability including the app. - ninebot or inmotion, debatable.. both pretty much as good as it gets for euc apps.. however even though ks and gw apps suck, you can use wheellog for most things, which is a fantastic app

Durability and longevity ie, waterproofness, strength of case and pedals - uhh i would say first two tie between ninebot and kingsong, though the z10 is not on this list.. and waterproof more or less is down to the individual EUC, not the brand.. the only euc that i know of that has horrible waterproofing is the rockwheel.. its mostly down to the shape of the actual euc model, they are all fairly well waterproofed, some a bit better than others but none should have any issues with some rain or puddles.. however i have to give it to inmotion as they are the only ones to claim an ip rating and i can attest to it, they have separate compartments that are waterproofed for the battery, and the way they are laid out/the shape are also a great contributor to this... i would have to say in theory the worst is gotway due to them having the board on the side on most of their euc's and not on the top, however this is changed in most of their newer models and this is only theoretical in practice they are quite waterproofed as well and i have seen no cases of them having water damage

Resilience of battery - this would be down to the battery manufacturer, they are third party products no euc company builds their own batteries afaik.. and different models will use different batteries.. this comes down to YOU, and how you treat the battery.. i know of only one euc that has ever had battery issues basically across the board and that is the Z10, but even with that its not the battery itself that is the issue i believe it is due to the board/firmware.. theyre all lithium batteries and all will dwindle with the amount of recharges

Component safety (ie a battery that isn't likely to internally combust, ECU that isn't going to shut down mid ride!! ) - this is a non factor in any euc to come out within the last couple years, 99.9% of the time it is user error, and the other .1 is with a very small fraction of individual units.. safety comes down to margins and in that regard kingsong wins hands down.. but dont read that wrong, it does not make safer than gw for example, it merely makes it harder for you to do something stupid, i suppose you could say the firmware is safer as in it has more safety precautions, but operating within safe margins is what makes the euc safe, there are no current euc's that are unsafe unless YOU make them so.. if i absolutely had to give this to someone again it would be kingsong.. IN THEORY, not in practice, once again the gotway internals may look bad but if you look at statistics, they have a failure rate lower than any other manufacturer, so this is not so in practice.. but thats due to a few lemons from early production units from other manufacturers. none are in practice unsafe

Customer service, support and warranty honouring, dealer back up and support - inmotion is best, but best compared to absolutely abysmal is nothing to be proud of.. they all suck, you want customer service you buy from a local dealer.. the best of all of these by far is ewheels, nothing to do with brand

Length of warranty period - they can claim different things at different times for different eucs, take all warranty claims with a giant fist full of salt.. as stated above, it will come down to the dealer

Ease of consumer replacing parts, tyres, battery, electronic components. - none of them are easy, none are extremely difficult either, comes down to the individual unit but generally gw is the easiest to work on as like i said before the internals are more simple.. also anything made before ~1 year ago will have self tapping screws in plastic, which is horrible for longevity.. but i do believe most if not all of this generation and last years models across the board use brass inserts so you wont have to worry as much about taking the unit apart and putting it back together... this doesnt make it less complicated however, look up youtube disassembly videos of the individual eucs it varies from one to the next but usually down to the simplicity of the internal layout gotways will be easier to disassemble (though i wouldnt go so far as to classify this as a good thing, overall).. that being said shell strength gotway loses.. but you really would have to beat the shit out of it not like any of them are gonna fall apart from normal use

I know like many things such as motorbikes, bikes etc, people like what they ride and there is likely going to be some bias here

I currently ride an inmotion V10. - i cant answer this unless you tell me what exactly it is you do with your electric unicycle.. different strokes for different folks, everyone has a personal taste and preference and i dont know what you like to do.. i can tell you the best of class for some categories, of course in my opinion.. tell me what qualities there are that you value most in an euc and i could recommend something but there are way too many to list off unless i have specifics

Edited by Rywokast
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Rywokast said:

Wow Rywokast, thank you so much going to all that effort to share your, knowledge, views and experience. 

I have a V10 and I've had a few issues with it within the first week. Not charging fully (94%) or not showing fuuly charged on the EUC or in the app. 

I'm having many Bluetooth disconnections and sometimes the ECU disc is nnects and is then undetectable or it won't connect. 

Then I start reading through the inmotion forum and I read about people with similar problems, 2 fires and pedals cracking or dropping on the V10 etc. 

It's reassuring to read your post and I am feeling more optimistic now that once I get the battery balanced to reach full charge, I will not regret buying my V10. I bought it off amazon uk but I think the delivery aler is somewhere in Europe. Maybe I should have paid the extra money for the unit to have the back up from a local dealer? 

3 days ago I charged it as much as it would take. Within 5 mins or riding it was down to just 3 battery bars and after about 4 miles, I had just 2 bars showing, the bottom red one and an amber one. It left me feeling quite  unhappy. 

Anyway, thanks for your input. 

Ewheels has done a pretty good job answering this question. I agree that it is a little subjective though. A company could have an amazing product but no customer service *cough cough* while another company has excellent service and an ok product.

https://www.ewheels.com/electric-unicycle-ultimate_ewheel_comparison_ips_airwheel_ninebot_king_song_gotway/

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ian5708 said:

Wow Rywokast, thank you so much going to all that effort to share your, knowledge, views and experience. 

I have a V10 and I've had a few issues with it within the first week. Not charging fully (94%) or not showing fuuly charged on the EUC or in the app. 

I'm having many Bluetooth disconnections and sometimes the ECU disc is nnects and is then undetectable or it won't connect. 

Then I start reading through the inmotion forum and I read about people with similar problems, 2 fires and pedals cracking or dropping on the V10 etc. 

It's reassuring to read your post and I am feeling more optimistic now that once I get the battery balanced to reach full charge, I will not regret buying my V10. I bought it off amazon uk but I think the delivery aler is somewhere in Europe. Maybe I should have paid the extra money for the unit to have the back up from a local dealer? 

3 days ago I charged it as much as it would take. Within 5 mins or riding it was down to just 3 battery bars and after about 4 miles, I had just 2 bars showing, the bottom red one and an amber one. It left me feeling quite  unhappy. 

Anyway, thanks for your input. 

yea the v10 particularily has had quite a few struggles compared to inmotions mostly spotless record.. there are some lemons and the firmware was not very good on release and then the huge waterproofing incident.. if you were to buy one today all of these things would be fixed but yea its had some issues.. that sounds really weird, did you try having it on the charger overnight like long after the light turns green? perhaps the cells are out of balance and the bms is giving you the reading of the lowest one which is out of sync with the others.. who did you buy it from? are you able to have it looked at by them under warranty? i wouldnt worry about the fires or pedals cracking.. this was like a few units very early on and can/has happened to any euc or anything with a lithium battery either because of user error like it fell while charging or some unseen damage.. besides maybe a couple very early v10 units and thats still not confirmed afaik there havent been any fires that were proven to be from manufacturer error, every one ive heard of or seen was on a fairly aged unit that took a lot of abuse or other user error i havent seen any evidence to make me even think twice about charging multiple eucs in my house when im sleeping.. the v10 should be getting you an absolute bare minimum of like 40 km i would think so definitely there is something weird with that battery i would try leaving it to charge for a long time to see if its a cell balancing issue you can fix yourself but otherwise sounds like something that definitely should be covered under any warranty unless youve had it since day 1 release

oh and the pedals cracking, again i havent seen enough evidence to say that the v10 pedals are bad... a hairline crack can form in any pedal at any time you you wouldnt notice it until it finally gave.. if the pedal hangers were snapping left and right that would be worrisome but this isnt the case.. its good practice to give the pedals a once over every few rides at least to see if theres any problems.. there are some simple fixes to avoid pedal droop but again this is something that would happen over thousands of km usually and can be prevented, as well the pedals are very easily replaced so it wouldnt be something that would cause me to recommend against them, after all how many thousands of units are there with zero pedal issues, its just inherent with the design it can wear down over time. i think this is where kingsong has a strong advantage as they have a large piece of metal that actually goes underneath the pedal hanger instead of butting up against the edge of it where it could wear down over time

Edited by Rywokast
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Rywokast said:

yea the v10 particularily has had quite a few struggles compared to inmotions mostly spotless record.. there are some lemons and the firmware was not very good on release and then the huge waterproofing incident.. if you were to buy one today all of these things would be fixed but yea its had some issues.. that sounds really weird, did you try having it on the charger overnight like long after the light turns green? perhaps the cells are out of balance and the bms is giving you the reading of the lowest one which is out of sync with the others.. who did you buy it from? are you able to have it looked at by them under warranty? i wouldnt worry about the fires or pedals cracking.. this was like a few units very early on and can/has happened to any euc or anything with a lithium battery either because of user error like it fell while charging or some unseen damage.. besides maybe a couple very early v10 units and thats still not confirmed afaik there havent been any fires that were proven to be from manufacturer error, every one ive heard of or seen was on a fairly aged unit that took a lot of abuse or other user error i havent seen any evidence to make me even think twice about charging multiple eucs in my house when im sleeping.. the v10 should be getting you an absolute bare minimum of like 40 km i would think so definitely there is something weird with that battery i would try leaving it to charge for a long time to see if its a cell balancing issue you can fix yourself but otherwise sounds like something that definitely should be covered under any warranty unless youve had it since day 1 release

Thanks buddy. 

I bought it from XG Tech Europe, I think based in France, had it just over 1 week. 

The serial number is 12C0785F28440060

I hope its the latest generation. Are you able to tell how old it is for this number? I actually ordered and paid for a V8 but they sent me a V10 for some unknown reason with no explanation. 

I have had some communication with inmotion and a UK dealer and it does sound like its a charging balance issue. Neither currently have the 'tool' to balance them so I have to wait 6-8 weeks. 

I've emailed the seller to see what they can do to help me. 

Happy to learn that the previous problems we discussed have been resolved for some time now. 

I'm 210 lbs or 96 kg so if I got 30km I'd be happy. I've just ran it til the battery got too low to operate and its on charge right now. I'll leave it on all day and night. Then I'll get an accurate record of how many km I get from this charge till shut down. 

Thanks again. 👍🏼🏼

The V10 had some teething issues.  Notably the firmware problems in the beginning.  Then it was revealed that their temp prob is in the he wrong place causing overload for heavier riders.  This was annoying to many.  Not a problem they have fix.  Since you are a heavier rider, your pedal will eventually snap.  They know of the issue and will send you new without much resistance.  I think they chose this route so they don’t have to redesign or send pedals to everyone like they did with the battery repair recall.  Someone was skimping on the design and that cost them dearly.  

‘I’ve had really bad service from them.   But it was during the time when they had their battery recall.  

‘Overall the wheel is too mediocre to keep so sold it.  Good beginner wheel if you already bought it.  But I would recommend a KS16S over V10 beginner/intermediate wheel.

as for which manufacture is best?  NB has the most money or backing since they are owned by Mi, but since their scooter have taken off, they can’t be bothered by this low volume niche market.  

Inmotion is the next largest.  They are better at mass production and getting their product cheaper.  Mostly for the masses.  When you get into EUC, they don’t really stack up.

then comes the two performance oriented manufactures...  

GW is the faster and more powerful wheel, but arguably at the expense of safety.  They are the only guys that allow you to remove the tiltback feature.  Build quality is inferior.  All you have to do is open the wheel up to see what I mean.

KS is more of a mix of IM build quality but on a higher performance level.  

Best to have local support from a good vendor.

• Like 2

• 11 months later...

A ninebot - build quality wise

With

Gotway msp or "ms speed" - performance wise

And

Kingsong - safety wise

Maybe the shock from Kingsong or Inmotion on top of above? Ill wait and see how that pans out with cables twisting back and forth

On 6/13/2019 at 1:11 AM, ian5708 said:

Resilience of battery

Component safety (ie a battery that isn't likely to internally combust, ECU that isn't going to shut down mid ride!! ) 

honestly, probably inmotion for all of the above... besides the pedals, i have seen some inmotion pedals break... its extremely rare but i havent seen this from another company.. the app i would say ninebot and inmotion are tied, but it really doesnt matter at all the app is hardly ever used only if you need to quickly go in and change some settings but third party apps like euc world are better in every way

The app does not matter much because there are 3-d party apps that do good what native apps dont.

As far as water proofing goes inmotion is the only company that advertises some moisture protection. And if you watch wheel disassembly only inmotion and ninebot have things like rubber seal and enclosure for the controller. Even then I've read reports of inmotion having problems with water. I e all of the wheels do not guarantee protection but 2 brands try to do _something_ to make it better.

Resilience of battery

Every manifacturer does not have fixed standard on battery elements, they often change elements several times on the same model. But it looks like there is a tendency to at least use good elements like samsung or LG, so it is the quality as your laptop battery pretty much, then the rest mostly depend on the usage. Do you let it to be drained completely often? Do yuou always charge to 100%.

ewheels.com has statistics you looking for.

Out of 4 major brands only Inmotion is legally allowed to sell EUC wheels in USA (and even then only under "solowheel" name, i dont know exact details here). Ninebot/segway was also allowed (they could hire expensive lawyers) but it stopped producing wheels completely (not enough prahfit).  KS and GW are not allowed because of patent trolling from the original EUC inventor. This is very sad story. THis is also why nobody in USA would make EUC up to western safety standards, with proper moisture insulation, with more safety and performance features etc. And all support you have is unofficial and depends pretty much on a single nice guy - Jason of ewheels.com.

Not really. Nobody has a patent on a bicycle. :-)

Another problem is that I could not find any rules about EUC riding in my state because it does not match any vehicle classification. And I'm kinda scared of that because someday they will "fix" this problem not in a good way because EUC wheel is way too powerful compared to devices that are allowed to go to the trail, ignoring the fact that most of that power is needed to maintain upright balance.

That answer depends on rider's weight, number of hills in the area, pavement type and so on. THere is nothing wrong with picking up V10. At least you got the only "Legally allowed" brand which made some attempt to provide moisture protection. I would not pick it for myself because i'm too tall and heavy and have nasty hill going to my home where V10 will most likely overheat (due to its moisture protection board enclosure), but on the other hand I would be afraid to ride in the rain because the controller board of my euc is screwed in completely uncovered inside of KS case..  People say "its ok" but i know this is not the way things should be done, and they will not be done correctly in USA because no company will make attempt at it knowing this patent trolling exists.

11 hours ago, Alj said:

As far as water proofing goes inmotion is the only company that advertises some moisture protection. And if you watch wheel disassembly only inmotion and ninebot have things like rubber seal and enclosure for the controller. Even then I've read reports of inmotion having problems with water. I e all of the wheels do not guarantee protection but 2 brands try to do _something_ to make it better.

The Gotway MSP has added seals to the battery compartments...and covered the vents from MSX shell. Think i saw it on wrongways disassembly on the tube

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Boogieman said:

The Gotway MSP has added seals to the battery compartments...and covered the vents from MSX shell. Think i saw it on wrongways disassembly on the tube

there has already been multiple incidents of MSP water damage >.> i believe one guys got destroyed from rain... so their measures appear to be in vain, the trolley handle is the culprit i believe.. on a KS the water goes straight down and out of the shell.. on the MSX/MSP all water is trapped

3 hours ago, Rywokast said:

there has already been multiple incidents of MSP water damage >.> i believe one guys got destroyed from rain... so their measures appear to be in vain, the trolley handle is the culprit i believe.. on a KS the water goes straight down and out of the shell.. on the MSX/MSP all water is trapped

@Rywokast Oh really, thats good info. Was planning to get a MSS which is built on MSP. Do you have a link to the incident? Would be interesting to see before flinging 30K (SEK) on a wheel :)

Edited by Boogieman

5 hours ago, Boogieman said:

@Rywokast Oh really, thats good info. Was planning to get a MSS which is built on MSP. Do you have a link to the incident? Would be interesting to see before flinging 30K (SEK) on a wheel :)

heres a breakdown video

https://www.reddit.com/r/ElectricUnicycle/comments/fll4tf/is_the_gotway_ms_pro_really_water_proof/

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Boogieman said:

Why not wait for the new one? (same price about...SEK) ;)

30 minutes ago, Rywokast said:

Damn, they sealed of everything...forgot the trolley handle entry. I guess thats China tech in a nutshell. They aint got many wheels to copy so they do all the beginners mistakes in engineering...or bet the money that people wont be able to do anything about it (and no...you basically cant sue chinese companies...not even big companies do that successfully).

Imagine if they hired real engineers for programming, testing, manufacturing, construction, quality engineering at i.e. Gotway...what a WHEEL they could make.

Being an automation engineer and a test engineer i am really baffled how NO manufacturer still after so many years put the effort into building a high tech wheel.

Sure Xiaomi did a big step in the right direction, but they did not understand the dynamics (what EUC people want). If they would get that...and do a z11 (16-17" 112V 3KW AI based tiltback a.s.o. (today they call everything slightly smart AI, in my business its basically a regulator based on input parameters from smart sensors...or human input via phone like rider weight and length to calibrate the PID))

Sooooo much potential left on EUCs and they have to get there before it gets tooo popular and is still at this level of construction or govs will ban EUCs (as they dont get jack shit what its about they will just see crash numbers as something that is bad for hospital services..especially in countries with wellfare).

I went to the hospital once after a crash...slammed head into ground and bled like a ....i dunno... 🐖.... ambulance in sew and stop bleeding and MRI and all that....and got a FORM that i eas asked to fill in for statistics. What kind of vehicle...what speed and so on...was a bit fuzzy so i filled it in after some surgery and was about to sign it. And then i remember a report on electrical vehicle crashes..basically I got the idea...they were trying to ban all electric vehicles based on statistics...so i called the nurse and asked if it was mandatory or volontary....volontary she said...it said in small print right on bottom of the paper.

So i just crossed my signature over and asked her to trash it. She said she would take care of it and took the paper and left. Did she? I dunno. If I would have been les concussed inwoulf probably never even have filled it in or put it in my pocket, but yeah...

So....if you get one of theese, don't fill it in...just rip it and tell them you got hit ny a car that ran away ;)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MikieSWE said:

Why not wait for the new one? (same price about...SEK) ;)

New one? Tell me 🥰

I am thinking of the "New" MSP modded to MSS(peed) by euc services (MSS 75ish km/h real top speed with torque not far from msp)

They making a new one? Or is there any vehicle i missed out on 🥰

Only other vehicle i can think of to buy is the korea iron...that is RIGHT UP MY ALLEY with a high speed/torque/battery 16" tyre and purpoedly rigid chassis... its like... love as t first sight even if it looks like the head of megatron LOL

But the few movies i have seen are commercial like and not really scientifical... More like bashing the shell with a sledge hammer with unknown force on two different euc's. Aka doesn't say shit

Edited by Boogieman

This is like asking what is the best fast food chain.  Everyone's going to have a different answer.

With that said, if it were 2019, I'd say Gotway by a country mile for what I want, but in 2020, the answer isn't so black and white anymore.  Gotway is changing, and its not for the better (in my opinion). 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Boogieman said:

New one? Tell me 🥰

I am thinking of the "New" MSP modded to MSS(peed) by euc services (MSS 75ish km/h real top speed with torque not far from msp)

They making a new one? Or is there any vehicle i missed out on 🥰

Only other vehicle i can think of to buy is the korea iron...that is RIGHT UP MY ALLEY with a high speed/torque/battery 16" tyre and purpoedly rigid chassis... its like... love as t first sight even if it looks like the head of megatron LOL

But the few movies i have seen are commercial like and not really scientifical... More like bashing the shell with a sledge hammer with unknown force on two different euc's. Aka doesn't say shit

If you're willing to buy an untested durable wheel with high top speed and big battery, I'd be looking at the Veteran Sherman. 

And yes, I've heard great things about eucservice.com rewound motors (and I'm friendly with Daniel, the owner), I believe the freespin speed on his MSS is 104 kmh? 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Boogieman said:

Damn, they sealed of everything...forgot the trolley handle entry. I guess thats China tech in a nutshell. They aint got many wheels to copy so they do all the beginners mistakes in engineering...

Its not a mistake. Good weather sealing is expensive to do. And nobody can see it when people buy it in the store, so why do it if people will buy the wheel anyway? I hate to say it but this kind of stuff is done with the help of regulations. For example you never see a car engine controller but it made like nothing else. Sometimes manufacturer goes as far as welding connections instead of soldering. Special sealed connectors, special automotive grade semiconductors. Sealed boxes for PCBs. Extreme temperature ranges for components. But we of course don't want EUCs to be regulated (or at least not regulated as long as possible), so the problem is unlikely to be fixed except it can be made better by aftermarket service at the additional $$. Some retailers do it, but nobody in USA AFAIK.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Seba said:

EUCs doesn't have to be perfectly sealed to be weatherproof. Actually KS-18L/XL also does have trolley handle entries open for water ingress. But there is significant difference in wheel design that makes this water going far from key components. It will safely go down on the trolley stem and finally be drained out of the wheel by small draining holes below. Same with speaker holes - water will go down on the outer shell and will be drained by the same holes. At the same time battery is completely sealed and controller board is placed on the top of the wheel, protected by cover and additionally sealed with special conformal coating. Power button is waterproof, USB and charging ports are protected by rubber caps. KS-18L/XL has proven to be among most weather resistant wheels.

Seba, absolutely true! This is because bad sealing (as in case with GW MSP)  is worse than no sealing at all :-) So yes it is better, KS-18 can also dry faster but conformal coating does not protect everything. There are plenty of exposed metal (for example, connectors, headers on PCB board). And battery is forever connected. Add a little bit of salt from the road and you got yourself electrolysis which will eat metal in a matter of minutes before it dries up. For weather proofing first thing I'd do is to install battery cutoff switch, then replace all connectors with sealed ones. Not sure what to do with PCB headers, maybe dielectric grease....  Ideally there has to be sealed case covering PCB but then there could be problems with cooling....

On 6/7/2020 at 1:00 PM, Alj said:

Its not a mistake. Good weather sealing is expensive to do. And nobody can see it when people buy it in the store, so why do it if people will buy the wheel anyway? 

I think many people will buy the wheel with the better quality (not only water ingress issues) if two equal performance wheels exist, even if it means an additional say 20-25% cost. Some won't, but seing the age of EUCist is generally in a range where economy is not the main focus (rather staying in one piece ;-) ) but safety. If we do mistakes ourselves thats one thing, but sudden cutouts, wheels catching fire is worse than anything else. Imagine getting a sudden (failure) cutout when about to stop in front of a rail road with train approaching...or in 60km/h with steel railing on both sides. Not fun...

If we DON'T want regulations we must demand safer wheels. Nothings draws regulation rats lile accidents, especially if its due to low quality high speed vehicles.

Stay under the radar by making safe quality wheels...thats the way the manufacturer should think if they have some logic way of thinking ;) and want future customers.

Edited by Boogieman
  • Like 3