Safest posture for riding and best way to fall?

tenofnine

Does anyone here practice martial art or boxing? In the style I trained in we would always have a "live" hand near our chest to counter punches and strikes to the head. Having your hands down meant a longer travel to block a punch. This can translate in helping when the crash happens. 

When I ride I find myself holding my arm up loosely in case of a sudden fall. I've had 2 faceplants so far I've been able to stop my helmet from bouncing. My hands do drop when it looks like a fairly slow or safe path but they start going up when I speed up or go off road. So far that's been saving my head. 

Edited by UbeRoll
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Smoother said:

What details do you need? He said he wore gloves, not wrist protectors, that's 2 details. He said he wore knee pads under his jeans, that's a detail.  He said he wore no elbow pads, that's a detail, he said he was doing mid 20s kph, then he said he must have slid for 15 to 20 seconds, those are words, but not correct words, still a detail of sorts.  And other stuff like burning flesh, and having the presence of mind to roll off his melting hands, etc.

@uekarashi you fell recently; how much presence of mind did you have while sliding/rolling to a stop?  I would wager, not much:D.  One is pretty much a sack of potatoes in most EUC falls.

Well, I know you didn't mock my gear at my crash :) But anyways, I see. I had just enough presence of mind to not want to end up in the road, and to remember feeling my foot being bumped off the pedal as I skidded.

• Like 1

On 5/31/2019 at 12:55 PM, Smoother said:

:roflmao:Fantastic imagery.  But, I wonder who would cross the finish line first :blink1:

No contest, the person sliding would finnish first. Just imagine the initial velocity required to slide 100m!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, mrelwood said:

No contest, the person sliding would finish first. Just imagine the initial velocity required to slide 100m!

:roflmao:Stop !!, you're killing me:roflmao:

Edited by Smoother

On 6/2/2019 at 2:20 PM, Olav said:

Which is exactly what a fall at those speeds could do :blink:

Which got me thinking. If 4 seconds is what good motorcycle leather can take, what would actually be left from a rider with regular clothing after a 100m slide? Haven’t calculated, but I’d say that the initial velocity would be some few hundred km/h.

I guess it depends on wether the rider decides to slide or roll.

Edited by mrelwood

1 hour ago, mrelwood said:

Which got me thinking. If 4 seconds is what good motorcycle leather can take, what would actually be left from a rider with regular clothing after a 100m slide? Haven’t calculated, but I’d say that the initial velocity would be some few hundred km/s.

Km/s? 

Orbital speeds? :P

On 6/2/2019 at 7:01 PM, mrelwood said:

Which got me thinking. If 4 seconds is what good motorcycle leather can take, what would actually be left from a rider with regular clothing after a 100m slide? Haven’t calculated, but I’d say that the initial velocity would be some few hundred km/h.

Having been in a moto crash going 50mph+ wearing quality moto gear but not leathers and sliding down the road like a rag doll. Normal clothes would have been ripped off in a second and torn to shreds. My body would have had some serious road rash and a long hospital stay would have ensued.  I was bruised and burned from the heat of the gear grinding against the pavement and my skin in various places but otherwise ok. The truck in front of me had some debris fly out of back of their truck  and onto the road directly in front of me causing me to grab some brakes and slide on top of it part way down the road for 30-40 feet. I still ride moto’s all the time and I am religious about wearing quality gear when out on the bike. I ll be geared up when riding my EUC fo sure.  

By the way, good gloves are always worth it. 

• Like 3