Fitting the SPIKES - help needed ...

Guest PogArt Artur

8 minutes ago, PogArt Artur said:

Cheers @stephen !

What thickness works for you, 3mm should be ok?

I think you've got 3mm, don't you?

Yes i used 3ml ,i only wanted to minimise vibrations i still want the solid feel 😊

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest PogArt Artur
39 minutes ago, stephen said:

Yes i used 3ml ,i only wanted to minimise vibrations i still want the solid feel 😊

Thanks, I know you mean.

:)

I now use industrial grip tape that contains a heavier grit.

47712455031_bc8b8e333e_b.jpg

Firms like Grangers and McMaster carry the tape. Unfortunately you need to purchase a huge roll. Where do you live @PogArt Artur? If close enough I could mail you enough material for your pedals. 

Spikes are a No No. They will grip your feet all the way to the ground. I could not release my feet when I face planted last year. 

47659327492_382c25dfde_b.jpg

Guest PogArt Artur
5 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

Firms like Grangers and McMaster carry the tape. Unfortunately you need to purchase a huge roll. Where do you live @PogArt Artur? If close enough I could mail you enough material for your pedals. 

Spikes are a No No. They will grip your feet all the way to the ground. I could not release my feet when I face planted last year. 

47659327492_382c25dfde_b.jpg

Thanks a lot @Rehab1.

You've made me love the industrial grip tape, lol!

That's might be the "thing" I were looking for :)

And thank you for putting me off those spikes idea... 

That's too bad regarding purchasing the full roll of the g.tape :(

I guess shipping to UK might be expensive, thank you for the offered help.

I will try to find such grip tape in UK maybe?

Thanks a lot!

5 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

At Home Depot you can buy this heavy duty grip tape. They sell it for putting on stair treads. Made by 3M

Guest PogArt Artur
2 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

At Home Depot you can buy this heavy duty grip tape. They sell it for putting on stair treads. Made by 3M

Thank you @Marty Backe , I'll try to get it, as I believe it will work for me very well.

Guest PogArt Artur
6 minutes ago, Planemo said:

Artur, I bought this for my Z6, havent fitted it yet as I am unsure whether I need it. I like being able to move my feet around and I cant ride on one leg. Its cheap enough to try out though:

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F331764435701

Thank you @Planemo, but I'm unsure ,whether this grade is the same as the other skateboard grip tapes, or it's heavier graded..?

From the pictures, I guess it's very same to the grip tape I have fitted already?

I just love idea of much more aggressive grip tape (industrial) to give me that extra grip I'm after...

I were after fitting spikes as you know, lol :)

Now, when I know there's industrial grade grip tape - I'm very after to try it out.

It could provide that extra additional grip for me.

Thank you once again for the eBay's link, I have saved it :)

I will wait for the email answer from that company I found, and then I will know,whether they will let me buy small amount of their grip tape or not...

@Rehab1 also kindly offered me some samples of his extra graded grip tape...

At the moment he's trying to get a quote for shipping to the UK - it'll probably be too expensive anyway...

Thank you @Planemo.

I'm quite surprised you are getting slippage with the rubber and grip tape tbh. I use bare plates with just the rubber and find it OK (in the dry admittedly). I think that a plate should be one or the other - rubber or griptape. I can't help feeling that the setup you have is allowing the rubber to take most of the contact, with the tape doing very little (because it is lower). If you removed the rubbers, plate over the original plates and fit some decent griptape I am sure you would be OK. My V5 plates (even smaller than the NB) are griptape only, and I can't move my feet at all once mounted. TOO grippy IMO, given my inability to move my feet much once mounted, so if my trailing foot doesn't hit the right spot when mounting I am stuck with it until I find a handy pole!

5 minutes ago, Planemo said:

my inability to move my feet much once mounted

At this stage I would tell my GF to wiggle and slide her weak foot even a fraction of a cm at a time. The weight transfer will eventually lead to clean lifting of the foot. (and eventually to single foot riding)

Then comes the ordeal to do the same with the strong foot. Welcome to EUC nirvana :) Hope this help. 

Guest PogArt Artur
29 minutes ago, Planemo said:

I'm quite surprised you are getting slippage with the rubber and grip tape tbh. I use bare plates with just the rubber and find it OK (in the dry admittedly). I think that a plate should be one or the other - rubber or griptape. I can't help feeling that the setup you have is allowing the rubber to take most of the contact, with the tape doing very little (because it is lower). If you removed the rubbers, plate over the original plates and fit some decent griptape I am sure you would be OK. My V5 plates (even smaller than the NB) are griptape only, and I can't move my feet at all once mounted. TOO grippy IMO, given my inability to move my feet much once mounted, so if my trailing foot doesn't hit the right spot when mounting I am stuck with it until I find a handy pole!

Hahahaaa :)

Lol :), I was thinking I can't replace my foot once mounted,because of my poor skills of riding yet :)

Thanks to you, I know it's not only me having that issue :)

I guess it will help if the grip (bond) to the pedals was lighter (softer?)...

The it'd be just matter of slight slide of the shoe :)

I have no rubber fitter,though, only the standard grip tape placed over the aluminium surface, but yes, the original stripes of the rubber are higher (not much) than the adhered grip tape on the pedal, so I have support of the grip tape only at the places around the original Ninebot rubber stripes ...

I think this is were I might feel the weak grip point...

I think I'll follow your suggestion,and remove those rubber pieces, making the whole aluminium surface equally even.

Don't get me wrong, I think the grip it's ok on my pedals, but at some points, especially if wet, the grip is weakened, then my shoe is little bit looser, so I can't 100% control the wheel to direct it the way I want...

14 minutes ago, pico said:

At this stage I would tell my GF to wiggle and slide her weak foot even a fraction of a cm at a time. The weight transfer will eventually lead to clean lifting of the foot. (and eventually to single foot riding)

Then comes the ordeal to do the same with the strong foot. Welcome to EUC nirvana :) Hope this help. 

You are right, the ability to move feet around once mounted is a very desirable skill to have. It's just that it's within a rather long list of other skills for me to learn as well :)

As for riding with just my weak foot, I will place that in the pile of miracles that may only come to fruition when the stars align.

I am not sure I conveyed the proper message.

I just wanted to tell that the wiggle and slide is the next step in the long list imho. :)  

And that it helped my GF a lot, YMMV. 

Guest PogArt Artur
1 hour ago, pico said:

Good point !

4 hours ago, PogArt Artur said:

Thank you @Planemo, but I'm unsure ,whether this grade is the same as the other skateboard grip tapes, or it's heavier graded..?

I'm buying this i had the lesser coarse version before so this should be better I'll add it with 3ml  foam underneath 

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F173562392592

Guest PogArt Artur
10 hours ago, stephen said:

I'm buying this i had the lesser coarse version before so this should be better I'll add it with 3ml  foam underneath 

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F173562392592

Well done you @stephen !!!

This is exactly what I tried to find, but I've failed ...

I could't find it on eBay so I found some online retailer...

It looks very promising, and more that that!

Exactly what I'm after!

I've just placed the order thanks to you :)

Thank you for letting me know, awesome!

On 4/26/2019 at 8:12 PM, kasenutty said:

@Rehab1 has some good info about the spikes. I would not use spikes, personally, I would not like to be unable to re-position my feet. Why do you want pedal spikes heading into summer in the UK? 

Well I screwed in two best-grip studs in the front, two in the back and two along the outer rim on my GT16. That still let me move my feet around, but worked a lot better in rain, sleet and mud than just grip-tape. As I sometimes turned, braked and jumped rather aggressively, they gave me some piece of mind in regards to slipping.

Compared to the studding @Rehab1 did, it was almost nothing, just six points with two mm spikes rather than his iron lady variant.

Guest PogArt Artur
2 hours ago, Scatcat said:

Well I screwed in two best-grip studs in the front, two in the back and two along the outer rim on my GT16. That still let me move my feet around, but worked a lot better in rain, sleet and mud than just grip-tape. As I sometimes turned, braked and jumped rather aggressively, they gave me some piece of mind in regards to slipping.

Compared to the studding @Rehab1 did, it was almost nothing, just six points with two mm spikes rather than his iron lady variant.

I was thinking to follow your option,with few spikes fixed only, but after consideration of@Rehab1 story I wasn't too keen to the spikes then...

And @Rehab1 has mentioned the industrial grade grip tape...

That's made me change my mind 180 degrees...

Thank's to @stephen I found that grip tape on eBay, I'm awaiting for delivery :)

It's just super coarse grip tape, and I think it'll do for my purpose...

In case if I'm still unhappy, the spikes will be option B, the way you did yours :)

3 hours ago, PogArt Artur said:

I was thinking to follow your option,with few spikes fixed only, but after consideration of@Rehab1 story I wasn't too keen to the spikes then...

And @Rehab1 has mentioned the industrial grade grip tape...

That's made me change my mind 180 degrees...

Thank's to @stephen I found that grip tape on eBay, I'm awaiting for delivery :)

It's just super coarse grip tape, and I think it'll do for my purpose...

In case if I'm still unhappy, the spikes will be option B, the way you did yours :)

Oh, good grip tape is wonderful. The spikes got there during winter, when my shoes tended to bring half an inch of snow with them when I mounted. Then they kinda stayed on.

Guest PogArt Artur

Oh, good grip tape is wonderful. The spikes got there during winter, when my shoes tended to bring half an inch of snow with them when I mounted. Then they kinda stayed on.

I haven't experienced the winter yet, that's for sure.., but the present grip tape on my pedals gets dirty, with all the rubbish you can transfer by the sole of the shoe...

I'm only guessing, that the dirt left over the pedal might reduce the grip significantly, not to mention the snow, lol :)

This is why I might being experiencing slightly reduction of the grip while rain..?

The water + dirt may be making the grip tape's surface fairly level, so my boots can't bond as good then?

Once again - it's not too bad at all!

It's only my personal preference to improve the grip.

Now, when you've mentioned the snow, the addition of few spikes might be advantage too?

On one hand I have to consider @Rehab1 kind advice, on the other hand the dirt, snow?, making me to try to fix three spikes per pedal (front,side and at back) just to a little bit improve the whole aspect of keeping good grip, in case of the pedal's surface may get affected by "street's stuff"?

Anyway @Scatcat I have received an answer from the website were you bought your spikes, they have provided me with email address to contact Chris, who is UK based retailer...

I have asked him for 6 spikes, the same ones you have used.

It's £0.75 per each only, so even if I won't use it, it's no a big deal.

But I think I'm going to fix single spike on the heel spot.

To support the grip at that point.

I feel I need to try it first, how it is, what it does, if you know I mean.

And the most important thing - if I can take off my leg off the pedal FREELY at any moment, it is crucial to me, thanks to @Rehab1 keen advice!!!

Also the website company I've wrote yesterday regarding the industrial grip tape replied today @Rehab1 :)

So I asked for samples :)

Everything looks very promising so far :)

Thank you for your priceless help dear friends!

I mean all of forum members too  :)

If you would like to try studding a tyre this winter, I would advice agains using the best-grip spikes for any tyre that is not motocross style. You need rubber that is at least 8mm thick, to avoid any risks of the best grip studs puncturing the tyre and tube. Of course as sizes go up, the risk goes down. For instance I suspect my MSX could take the best-grip studs, but there would be a small risk involved if hitting a curb just wrong.

For studding tyres like ours, I would recommend Shwalbe's studs, that are meant for bikes. There are some videos around here somewhere how you go about using those. But generally they're perfectly good enough, and less jarring on a hard surface, but they take a bit more work to mount.

Guest PogArt Artur
1 hour ago, Scatcat said:

If you would like to try studding a tyre this winter, I would advice agains using the best-grip spikes for any tyre that is not motocross style. You need rubber that is at least 8mm thick, to avoid any risks of the best grip studs puncturing the tyre and tube. Of course as sizes go up, the risk goes down. For instance I suspect my MSX could take the best-grip studs, but there would be a small risk involved if hitting a curb just wrong.

For studding tyres like ours, I would recommend Shwalbe's studs, that are meant for bikes. There are some videos around here somewhere how you go about using those. But generally they're perfectly good enough, and less jarring on a hard surface, but they take a bit more work to mount.

Thanks a lot :)

That's probably my subject for this winter time :)

I had no clue it's okay to improve the tyre as well?!

3 hours ago, PogArt Artur said:

Thanks a lot :)

That's probably my subject for this winter time :)

I had no clue it's okay to improve the tyre as well?!

You're probably going to utter a few four letter words when you actually do it :D 

It takes patience when you get to stud number 50 or so....

Guest PogArt Artur

You're probably going to utter a few four letter words when you actually do it :D 

It takes patience when you get to stud number 50 or so....

50!!!?

Lol :)

hahahahaaaa :)

Archived