Daredevil's first wheel...

h3X

Hello everyone!

I've been lurking around the forum and absorbing all I can from youtube in the last month or so, and I'm plannng to buy my first wheel in June. I am 100% decided that I want a Kingsong because of the superior build quality and good brand reputation.
I come from esk8 where I've made my own diy board. I love fast group rides and pushing my limits on steep downhills. This means I would probably outgrow anything below 35 kph as soon as I can ride without falling.
I usually can't afford much, but about once a year I get tax returns and vacation bonus, so I thought I'd splurge on a wheel this summer. I've found a local store that offers the KS16S, KS18L, and KS18XL for prices of respectively €1255, €1670, and €2090. The Gotway MSX is also on offer for the same price as the 18XL. I can possibly afford the most expensive, but only if I can justify it to myself (and the wife:efef8189d7:).
I know someone is going to say I should buy from ewheels, but that means I'm going to have to add shipping and import duties to the price (and the wait!!).
I can't justify spending several hundred euros on a kids' wheel I'll outgrow any time soon, so I'm looking for advice. Are the prices good? Which is the best value for the price at these prices? Is it worth spending the extra money for a better model? Are 18 inch wheels really unwieldy / lack agility?

I am going to visit the store in a few weeks to test ride different models (and fall a lot) so I may get a better feel for what fits me.

Edit: I just wanted to add that I don't mind a few scuffs and scars from learning, so that's not really an excuse to get a learner wheel first...
Edit 2: I'm about 90 kg and 190 cm

Edited by h3X

16 or 18 inch is just a question of habits... 18 is more comfortable, 16 is probably a little bit more agile... if you have a hole or stone on the road then you will feel it less on 18 inch wheel. Maybe you should wait for KS16X it suppose to be very powerful (like 18L) and very agile... Also fist to keep in mind, and I'm really saying that as a 5 years EUC veteran: Safety first. Remember there is only one wheel and when it fail you usually end up in hospital. Pushing a EUC to it's limits usually always ends really bad. You probably should find something in between big fun and face plant :-)

27 minutes ago, h3X said:

Safety first, which is why I want something that has a good margin on top of the speeds I want to go... :efee6b18f3:
When is the 16X coming out?

Exactly ! It is in preorder status... No idea when exactly. There is a specific 16X talk on this forum, maybe some people have extra info on it...

That being mentioned, I do want to buy at the beginning of summer so I can learn to ride in the vacation season and when it's warm outside! Better learn on pavement before the snow arrives... Does anyone else have an opinion? Do you think I'd outgrow the 16S? Can that one do off-roading?

• Upvote 1

18XL! Or wait for the 16X. (As it isn't out yet, it's hard to judge it and compare it to existing wheels.)

18L is a waste of money if you can have the 18XL and its range. 16S is a more moderate, sleek commuter-type wheel.

These prices look might fine unless they do not include taxes. ewheels only makes sense for US buyers. In Europe, there are several good sellers - speedyfeet.co.uk, eunicycles.eu, a lot of French ones ($$$), and of course local shops with good prices mean you get the wheel fast and have local support. Not sure how good e-wheels.no is, look for some customer reports and such (I imagine having heard some negative feedback, but I may be making this up or confuse it with something else).

What is a bit missing is more info on how you see yourself using the wheel. As you seem to go for speed (as opposed to steep, gnarly mountain rides on gravel, for example), an 18 incher is probably the better idea. Unless you want fine maneuvering and torque for steep mountain rides, an 18 incher is pretty much as agile as you want it.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, meepmeepmayer said:

What is a bit missing is more info on how you see yourself using the wheel. As you seem to go for speed (as opposed to steep, gnarly mountain rides on gravel, for example), an 18 incher is probably the better idea. Unless you want fine maneuvering and torque for steep mountain rides, an 18 incher is pretty much as agile as you want it.

I will probably try to take it off road and play around with it, but that capability is not strictly necessary. I want a wheel I can commute with as much of the year as possible, as well as take it on group rides and go scary fast some times. Maybe many times. It needs to tackle hills very well because I live on top of a long, steep one. So basically, I want speed power and range. I suppose that means I should go for the 18XL, but that's a lot of money...

Edited by h3X

Worth it.

The 16X is listed at 1800€ at eunicycles.eu. You won't get it before July-August at best. Usually for higher speeds and when the word "commute" is involved, a 18 incher can't hurt, it's more stable and comfortable. But we don't know how the wide 16 inch tire of the 16X will behave. There were no 16 inchers with 3 inch wide tires before, now we get the Gotway Nikola and Kingsong KS16X. Hard to guess at a comparison. All your options are great.

• Upvote 1

Regarding e-wheels, I've bought my wheels from them. While I personally haven't had any issues, rumor has it that they're not very good with claims etc.
Though if you live fairly close to Drammen, they have a shop there, so it would be easier to get in touch with them. You could also go there to test wheels.

If communing is the main use I'd go with a commuting wheel, e.g. 18XL. It can deal with offroad fairly well though. The MSX is more of an offroad wheel than the XL, but is good for commuting as well.
The XL and the MSX are very similar, and both will let you do what you want.

I don't think you should wait for the 16X, as that will probably be July/late-July, at best, before you would be able to get it here in Norway. And then the summer is pretty much over (depending on where you live). 

Edited by Olav
  • Upvote 1

Did you hear about anyone actually having an issue with the store or is it just hearsay? I live in Oslo so I'm planning to take a trip to Drammen and visit the store when my schedule allows. Do you ride in fall and winter? Where do you live?

3 minutes ago, h3X said:

Did you hear about anyone actually having an issue with the store or is it just hearsay? I live in Oslo so I'm planning to take a trip to Drammen and visit the store when my schedule allows. Do you ride in fall and winter? Where do you live?

Replied by PM :)

Speed/power is an important consideration, but remember you can also outgrow your battery capacity as well. Your situation may be different but I'm on my 5th wheel and have progressively "outgrown" the battery capacity of each wheel. Just something else to consider besides top speed. Good luck.

I don't have the disposable income to go through five wheels... So I better get it right the first time. Sounds like I should just get the XL and ask my wallet for forgiveness later...

There is always Finn, there is a few cheap wheels there that you could buy, learn on (and don't have to worry about scratching), before you get the XL (if thats the one you'll end up with).

I got my 16S from that seller, quick shipping , no problems.
I never expect much after sales anyway, and the price is good, even compared to the rest of the world when including taxes.

Was torn between those three wheels, riding outside the city and partly on gravel roads (in Norway) I should have gotten the 18. But then 18L is slightly short on range for the size, which leads us to the XL, starting to get quite expensive. (as for being agile, reports are that the KS18(X)L are of the more agile 18"..) 

Edited by Mimolette

Not really regretting in the sense that it is a nice wheel and closer to my budget, but the ground here is bumpier, and the distances longer than I thought. It does what I needed it for (be able to visit friends and the town) but a larger wheel would have been more comfortable. Besides, the landscape is nice and invites to longer trips. So I regret a little yes, should have stretched budget.

16” is a good “all purpose” size, but outside town 18” should be more comfy: less knee strain, less watching out for potholes. The ks18(x)l is also fairly nimble for a 18” apparently.

Edited by Mimolette

2 hours ago, Mimolette said:

Not really regretting in the sense that it is a nice wheel and closer to my budget, but the ground here is bumpier, and the distances longer than I thought. It does what I needed it for (be able to visit friends and the town) but a larger wheel would have been more comfortable. Besides, the landscape is nice and invites to longer trips. So I regret a little yes, should have stretched budget.

16” is a good “all purpose” size, but outside town 18” should be more comfy: less knee strain, less watching out for potholes. The ks18(x)l is also fairly nimble for a 18” apparently.

it's like BMW (16") vs Mercedes (18") :-) Both are luxury cars... But better to drive a Mercedes for a long trip... It's more comfy, more stable, less sportive. It just feel better on a long trip... :-)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

If weight is over 100kg, KS-18XL is more confortble to ride. with 9.9inch pedals.

Or better to choose KS-16S or KS-16X, they are very light.

I am 72kg and prefer KS-16X, i feel good when accelerate on KS-16X and would like to buy a Iron Man paster to paste on it, or Ghost Rider.:efee612b4b:

• Upvote 2

• 3 weeks later...

Today I went to the EUC store with my friend and we leaned to ride! We started out on the KS16S holding hands for a few laps, until gradually we began balancing on our own. After 30 minutes on the 16S we tried the KS18L which immediately felt much more comfortable. We are tall guys, so maybe that is why, but the 16 inch felt extremely wobbly and bit into the shin... After playing around on the 18L for a while we also tried the GW MSX and Tesla. Eighteen inch wheels are definitely the way to go for both of us.  

My friend ended up buying an MSX and I also liked it better than the KS18L which is too bad because I love the features of the kingsong. The biggest problem with the 18L was wobbling: When reaching a certain speed the wheel will turn side to side in quick succession. We had them fill the tires on both wheels and while the riding improved it didn't fix the wobble. If anyone knows I'll be happy to hear a solution. As we got more tired, the wobble got worse and I also got it on the MSX.

I'll be visiting another store soon to test ride a Z10 and V10F before I ultimately decide on a wheel.

Congratulations for getting up and rolling quickly. Shows it’s not all that difficult.

Wobblyness is user induced from being too tense: you over correct, which requires correcting the other way and end up in a loop. Same for skateboard and other.

The KS18*L is seen as a rather nimble wheel for being a 18inch, which, is mostly a good thing. As a beginner however, that led to wobbly ness. Once you get more confident it should translate to dexterity. Some might prefer super stable cruisers, but IMO that removes some of the fun.

Cool you get to try the various wheels.

Edited by Mimolette
  • Upvote 1

Thanks for the insight! I'm going to get some experience on my friend's wheel before deciding, so maybe the wobble is gone when I come back to it. :efee6b18f3: