How many EUC riders are there in the world?

Juggler

8 hours ago, skunkmonkey said:

Well their release schedule caters to the Southern hemisphere rather than the Northern, so unless the EUC companies are just being completely ignorant of their customer base, I’d guess that’s not the case. It doesn’t make much sense to do wheel releases at the end of the riding season.

In speaking to one employee of an euc manufacturer, I was informed that the euc market in China is small.

When it comes to demo wheels outside of China, it appears the guys in the US, and sometimes in Canada get them first, especially for the fast wheels, or long range wheels.

I suspect the market in the US is the largest since they seem to be getting the most attention from the manufacturers, lately. Moreover, ewheels.com seems to have enough influence to get custom changes made on some new wheels. I get the impression that ewheels.com is probably the largest distributor of euc's.

Outside of the US, I surmise the next smaller markets could be in Canada, France, or Poland?

I have no idea how big the market is in South East Asia. But if I have to guess, it is not that big, otherwise, the manufacturers would be catering to them. 

Also, I don't think the markets in Australia and New Zealand are that large.

Furthermore, looking at the number of YouTube videos, Facebook groups, and forum posts, the manufacturers seemed to be responding to riders mostly from the US. The Begode CEO even got Chance to help develop the Extreme. And Chance is not from the Southern hemisphere. 

What we know is the sale volume of new euc's is still so small that the manufacturers cannot access the top tier vendors/suppliers yet. 

I think the number of euc riders is a small percentage of the total number of PEV riders.

Edited by techyiam
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

With changes in the law in Europe or as in France (speed restriction to 25 kmh (15.5 mph), many users have abandoned EUCs. They still remain enthusiasts.
To count the exact number, you have to, as you said, contact the manufacturers, but also the forums or Facebook page. Second hand, there are new users.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Scubadragonsan said:

Follow where the money is--which country, which segment and which gender have the highest disposable income. If I am not mistaken, the answer is still US or Europe.

Local laws is also an important factor. In the US, the laws, especially enforcement appear to be more conducive to euc riding on public roads and paths.

NYC bans euc's, but watch Ronin's or Hsiang's videos. They ride on main roads at a good pace past cops. And no one stops them.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, techyiam said:

Local laws is also an important factor. In the US, the laws, especially enforcement appear to be more conducive to euc riding on public roads and paths.

NYC bans euc's, but watch Ronin's or Hsiang's videos. They ride on main roads at a good pace past cops. And no one stops them.

The old saying "Laws are meant to be broken!" One day, there might be an EUC critical mass. Most cops don't really have time to chase after EUCs. They've more serious criminals to keep them busy. Those have time to are incompetent, lazy cops!

• Like 2

10 hours ago, techyiam said:

In speaking to one employee of an euc manufacturer, I was informed that the euc market in China is small.

When it comes to demo wheels outside of China, it appears the guys in the US, and sometimes in Canada get them first, especially for the fast wheels, or long range wheels.

I suspect the market in the US is the largest since they seem to be getting the most attention from the manufacturers, lately. Moreover, ewheels.com seems to have enough influence to get custom changes made on some new wheels. I get the impression that ewheels.com is probably the largest distributor of euc's.

Outside of the US, I surmise the next smaller markets could be in Canada, France, or Poland?

I have no idea how big the market is in South East Asia. But if I have to guess, it is not that big, otherwise, the manufacturers would be catering to them. 

Furthermore, looking at the number of YouTube videos, Facebook groups, and forum posts, the manufacturers seemed to be responding to riders mostly from the US. The Begode CEO even got Chance to help develop the Extreme. And Chance is not from the Southern hemisphere. 

What we know is the sale volume of new euc's is still so small that the manufacturers cannot access the top tier vendors/suppliers yet. 

I think the number of euc riders is a small percentage of the total number of PEV riders.

Korea has passed laws to limit the speed of EUCs and introduced more legislation. I can't speak for Japan or China but that's what killed the Iron Korea wheel. My mother was at first delighted that I was saving so much money on my commute then she showed her sisters that still live in Korea and the very next day she was telling me how dangerous it was and how I should stick to my ebike. I was wondering what the switch up was all about so I asked my dad what caused the sudden switch up and he told me that's what had happened.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, onewheelkoregro said:

But there is that youtuber 2cells1pack I don't know if the guy is Japanese but his wife is. But regardless if they both are Japanese they don't live there they both live in the US.

2cells1pack Albert and Christine are Canada based. Albert operates Eevees associated tech centre in Burnaby (part of Greater Vancouver).

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, onewheelkoregro said:

Korea has passed laws to limit the speed of EUCs and introduced more legislation.

Yeah, proactive, but in the wrong way.

Current thinking is not to allow PEV's to grow out of this classification.

Perhaps, somebody, or a collobrative effort to initiate the development of an euc that is to go above the PEV classification, and more inline with small engine displacement motorcycles. For this types of euc's, licensing and insurance would be required.

I personally am happy with euc's being still classified as a PEV, as long as enforcement is similar to how other PEV"s are dealt with, light and low priority.

Edited by techyiam
  • Like 1

I don't know if this has any realworld validity. They claim the market will grow ~3x over the next 10 years from US$130 to US$355 million. I did see once a B2B report which also stated Chinese domestic sales were very small (<5% I think) so that is also at odd with this report.

https://www.alliedmarketresearch.com/one-wheel-electric-scooter-market-A08744

I can see legislation cramping this growth. Unfortunately where legisation does come in it is very restrictive. Such as 25kmh max, 10kmh on pedestrian paths and the fines for exceeding are huge. The new Queensland/Australia laws for example from ABC news website.

The changes:

• 12kph speed limits on footpaths and shared paths, unless otherwise signed. The 25kph limit remains for all other bike paths and roads.
  • Increasing fines of up to $1,078 for dangerous offences involving speed, illegal road use and holding a mobile phone while riding.
  • Allowing personal mobility devices (PMD) to be ridden in bike lanes on roads with a speed limit of 50kph or less, and all on-road bike lanes that are physically separated.
  • Mandating bells for personal mobility devices with handlebars, like e-scooters.
  • Aligning personal mobility device riders with bike riders to ensure they are required to follow general road rules, such as stopping at red lights.

The fines:

• Up to $575 for speeding
  • Up to $143 for not wearing a helmet
  • Up to $1,078 for using a phone
  • $143 for double riding
  • $173 for riding on a prohibited roads

The speeding fines are graded starting at 1 kmh over the limit (ie 13kmh on footpath or 26kmh on road) which from memory is $143. The using a phone is a catch-all. As far as the police are concerned and the way the legislation is written, just holding it in your hand is an offence.

Edited by DavidB
  • Thanks 3

17 hours ago, techyiam said:

Yes.Chinese manufacturers produce and export around 40000 pieces of EUC each year. Mainly North America,Europe,Brazil,Chile,Australia.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, DavidB said:

I don't know if this has any realworld validity. They claim the market will grow ~3x over the next 10 years from US$130 to US$355 million. I did see once a B2B report which also stated Chinese domestic sales were very small (<5% I think) so that is also at odd with this report.

I can see legislation cramping this growth. Unfortunately where legisation does come in it is very restrictive. Such as 25kmh max, 10kmh on pedestrian paths and the fines for exceeding are huge. The new Queensland/Australia laws for example from ABC news website.

The changes:

• 12kph speed limits on footpaths and shared paths, unless otherwise signed. The 25kph limit remains for all other bike paths and roads.
  • Increasing fines of up to $1,078 for dangerous offences involving speed, illegal road use and holding a mobile phone while riding.
  • Allowing personal mobility devices (PMD) to be ridden in bike lanes on roads with a speed limit of 50kph or less, and all on-road bike lanes that are physically separated.
  • Mandating bells for personal mobility devices with handlebars, like e-scooters.
  • Aligning personal mobility device riders with bike riders to ensure they are required to follow general road rules, such as stopping at red lights.

The fines:

• $143 for double riding

The speeding fines are graded starting at 1 kmh over the limit (ie 13kmh on footpath or 26kmh on road) which from memory is $143. The using a phone is a catch-all. As far as the police are concerned and the way the legislation is written, just holding it in your hand is an offence.

1 hour ago, DavidB said:

The changes:

The fines:

• $143 for double riding

Right,I guess there’s no more than 1000 users in China. Domestic sales in the 4 manufacturers each may be 200-300 pieces.

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, Andy.Lin said:

Yes.Chinese manufacturers produce and export around 40000 pieces of EUC each year. Mainly North America,Europe,Brazil,Chile,Australia.

12 minutes ago, Andy.Lin said:

Right,I guess there’s no more than 1000 users in China. Domestic sales in the 4 manufacturers each may be 200-300 pieces.

Many thanks. Really appreciate your input.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

The Danish EUC FB group has 494 members. It's about 0,008% of the population.   I now of only one, yes "1" other EUC rider in my town of appr.  100000 inhabitants.  That's 0,002 %    My guess would be that in Denmark there are hardly more than 800 EUC owners in total...  But in Denmark, we have the most bicycles per inhabitant in the world, and on average we cycle 1.6 kilometers every day. The Netherlands is the only country that surpasses Denmark in cycling the most, with an average of 2.5 kilometers per day.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, DavidB said:

The changes:

The fines:

• $143 for double riding

Somehow this does not surprise me.  The past few years Australia has changed from a land of free spirits & limited government intrusion to a totalitarian state!  That the population has gone along with (maybe even desired?!?!) this change is mind boggling to me.  The ABSURDITY of 'thought crime' amazes me: holding a phone ... WITHOUT anything else happening?!  That is INSANITY.  Where is V when he is needed?

• Like 1

On 10/24/2023 at 9:30 AM, Scubadragonsan said:

One day, there might be an EUC critical mass

On the other hand, I am not too hopeful of any EUC critical mass coming soon. Over the years, I observed that EUC is for the "elites," mainly those have the disposable income to spend $1000 to $4000, those like thrills and new toys and those like to be "free and single." EUCs after being around for 10 years and still not gain its popularity among the mainstream majority tells us something....

During 2022: 13,099 users reported 4,314,047 miles of riding to euc.world.

https://euc.world/blog/worlds-30-top-wheels-of-2022/
The statistics cover the entire year 2022 and is based on ride records from that period. Rides shorter than one kilometer has been excluded. The ranking covers the entire world geographically. Note, however, that the data presented above may differ from real life data to some extent. This is due to the fact that not every user of an electric unicycle is also a user of EUC World, moreover, not every user of EUC World always use the app while riding. However, the amount of data collected allows us to assume that the statistical value of the collected data is relatively high – all rankings were based on data from 562 280 rides, during which 13 099 users rode a total of 6 942 786 kilometers (4 314 047 miles).

Start your estimation from there...

On 10/23/2023 at 7:03 PM, novazeus said:

how many euc current riders now worldwide?

You asked that a long time ago, eh? :) 
(Sorry we can't merge it here, old threads become locked and archived... )

What constitutes a rider?
Owning a wheel? 
Spending 5 minutes riding a friend's wheel?
Spending 5 hours riding a friend's wheel? 
Being proficient, but having not ridden in the past 12 months?

Better to ask: what do you want to do with the number, if you knew it?

Edited by RagingGrandpa
url

2 minutes ago, RagingGrandpa said:

Better to ask: what do you want to do with the number, if you knew it?

the interesting part for me, if i knew the number, wouldt be to do some stats to calculate growth or decline over time, because i find it very interesting to know if this "hobby" is growing or just steady. This info may also be of great value for the manufacturer's.

2 hours ago, Scubadragonsan said:

On the other hand, I am not too hopeful of any EUC critical mass coming soon. Over the years, I observed that EUC is for the "elites," mainly those have the disposable income to spend $1000 to $4000, those like thrills and new toys and those like to be "free and single." EUCs after being around for 10 years and still not gain its popularity among the mainstream majority tells us something....

I’ll assume by critical mass you’re referring to eucs being ubiquitous in the global market. If you’re talking about critical mass the taking over a road with a large group of people, last season we had over 150 riders cruising around downtown Toronto. 
While I do semi agree with your statement about disposable income and eucs. We have a bunch of students, delivery workers, young people and immigrants all a part of the community here. A lot of them don’t fall into that category. Probably half the riders in Toronto have an income that you could call “enthusiasts” and buy the next best wheel. The amount of riders here is absolutely growing. A lot of them are coming from a different pev and are either looking for more range or hands free riding. That being said, I think the steep learning curve and the perceived danger will keep a lot of people out of this hobby. It’s likely only going to saturate the market so far. 

• Like 3