To beep or not to beep...18L

Circuitmage

After changing my controller board and tube on my 18L, test driving and looking at app again, I decided to turn off the voice response and only have beeps. After recharging to full, I got on it and encountered some frantic beeping as soon as I took off. I assume this was the over voltage warning (as that has already happened to me once or twice immediately after charging on my old controller).

Since I don't know for sure why it was beeping, I decided to turn voice response back on. I'd really like to ride without all the voice warnings. It would be nice to see a log that could tell me what it was beeping for or other diagnostic information.

Anyone else have ideas/preferences on the beeps? 

I have turned off voice response too. First of all because it's so loud and annoying. Sometimes (when you get home late in the night and everybody is sleeping) I even think to turn off beeps, but I don't think you can do it with software and in any case it's better to receive some warnings and feedback from your wheel...

Regarding log with diagnostic/beeping information, never heard about anything like that, I am also interested to know, if it exists.

19 hours ago, Circuitmage said:

I got on it and encountered some frantic beeping as soon as I took off.

Actually in this Situation i can  imagine 3 Kinds of beeping:

overvoltage...but that shouldn't have happend on acceleration at all, only on braking on a totally full battery.

More probably:

Overamperage warning: That are continuos and very fast Beeps, as Long as those amperage is aplied. Should only happen on a very, very hefty acceleration.

And the last, where i would bet on:

Bluetooth Connection to app installed, automatic Connection (or re-connection when it was lost) and Feedback by Beeps from the Wheel.

Good points. Still leaves me wondering.

@US69 Had the red LED lights and lock up again yesterday as soon as I powered it on. It powered off after a few seconds and seems to ride OK...so still monitoring this wheel. Did not have these issues with my 16S so still being very cautious. Seller sent me a motor to replace with what I have but I have not done that yet.

24 minutes ago, Circuitmage said:

@US69 Had the red LED lights and lock up again yesterday as soon as I powered it on. It powered off after a few seconds and seems to ride OK...so still monitoring this wheel. Did not have these issues with my 16S so still being very cautious. Seller sent me a motor to replace with what I have but I have not done that yet.

Man, thats all a bummer, really….Sorry for that!

In Germany we call something like this "Mondays-Car"....Cause the Workers are not really back into work and so dont do qualitycontrol!

Keep me updated, please….

26 minutes ago, Circuitmage said:

Can you say which Beep pattern it was?

1 hour ago, US69 said:

In Germany we call something like this "Mondays-Car"....Cause the Workers are not really back into work and so dont do qualitycontrol!

Ha ha… Over here it would be called a "Friday wheel" - because the workers rushed to finish so they could leave for the weekend.   :lol:

@US69 No, still not sure what the beeping was based on those options. As far as I recall I was moving forward, so the overamperage options or BT is all I can think of. But not knowing what the beeps are has me turning voice back on.

I'm still riding the 18L instead of my 16S, as this thing is really just a beast of a machine and so much fun to ride. But this 18L has been causing me a lot of issues , I suppose I just have to be content as a beta tester between the out of control vibrations, lock ups, strange power up/recharge issues,  speaker talking in what sounded like Chinese while charging, lift sensor not working most of the time. I was even on it a couple weeks ago...with both feet on the pedals, as I was stopped (in pendulum very slightly), I heard it beep 2 times and cut out for about 1 sec , but it quickly came back online. That is something else I am watching now. This thing really does not like to be at stop or in trolly mode.

I'm holding off selling my 16S for a bit to ensure I want to keep this 18L. Still having issues about once a week, but as long as it rides good I'm happy. Seeing the prices go up on new EUC's does not make me want to spend more money right now. If there was a trade-in program though I would be all over that 16X.

Since I know nothing....I get to ask the silly questions....

When you ship a wheel it is done in locked mode right? 

That makes beeps when tje wheel is moved by trolley or ridden. 

So when replacing a logic boardI would expect this to be in locked mode or?

Note:  one of the best eye catching thread titles I have seen so far 😎

7 hours ago, Circuitmage said:

It seems to me that someone should just take back that lemon and you another wheel. If I had as many problems with my wheel as you, I would be asking for another control board. Have you ever replaced the control board on your 18L.

If you got an early wheel like me it was prone to kinks related to the newly added trolley feature and lock feature.

I had a weird issue early on with my 18L where my control board wouldn't stop emitting a continuous audible tone. It was an odd issue. I had never heard of it happening before, and haven't heard of a similar report since. 

This is where great aftersales service becomes vital because @Jason McNeilsent me another CB and I haven't had a problem since.

The 18L is a great wheel, but sometimes the best assembly line will shoot out a lemon or two. You just might be the owner of that unlucky wheel. 

2 hours ago, Circuitmage said:

I'm still riding the 18L instead of my 16S, as this thing is really just a beast of a machine and so much fun to ride. But this 18L has been causing me a lot of issues , I suppose I just have to be content as a beta tester between the out of control vibrations, lock ups, strange power up/recharge issues,  speaker talking in what sounded like Chinese while charging, lift sensor not working most of the time. I was even on it a couple weeks ago...with both feet on the pedals, as I was stopped (in pendulum very slightly), I heard it beep 2 times and cut out for about 1 sec , but it quickly came back online. That is something else I am watching now. This thing really does not like to be at stop or in trolly mode.

As i said...The summ of all your problems is a shame....and i also would feel very frustrated :-(

For this handle sensor jumping in when on the wheel...please be sure to have it proper calibrated ( i am sure you have, but i will mention it nonetheless)... The handle/trolley has about a 3-4 mm movement when it is locked. When the calibration is ok, the wheel only should go off, when the trolley/handle moves entirely up to where it “hits the lock”...when pulled and under tension.

(hard to explain with my first class english). It should never activate, when the handle/trolley is “gravitated to the wheel”.

Otherwise something like here might happen. Firmware wise it just only engages when the wheel is in standstill (but while idling there is that short moment)....so it must be calibrated so, that when trolley is in down position  of its slight movement and not under tension, it never engaged.

I hope its clear what i mean...

And as said, sure you have already calibrated, but might be worth to try to get it better calibrated.

@Lutalo Thanks for your concern. Yes, about 3 weeks ago I changed the controller, but have seen several similar issues continue (1 vibration after power on, 1 red led lock up after power on. The next step is to replace the motor per a newly supplied replacement, however I have not done that job yet.

Also, I don't recall calibration of the lift sensor being explicitly stated as part of my control board replacement instructions....but being a noob to disassembly and re-integration that may be implicit. I will research that tonight.

@US69 I am really happy with the ride-ability of the wheel, but not so thrilled with the various issues. I must assume the general customer base is experiencing the same thing, I have no idea. With the original control board I had 3 months of almost no issues, save for the lift sensor. I probably need to do the lift sensor calibration, but have not ever done that. 

50 minutes ago, Circuitmage said:

probably need to do the lift sensor calibration, but have not ever done that. 

Really easy actual...choose the calibration point in the app.

Have your powered on wheel normally staying on the ground on the tire, holding it woth your hand, so it doesnt fall over to any side and trolley pressing down a bit.

After confirm on the app the wheel beeps five times...while that, do nothing, just hold down the wheel as mentioned.

A double beep occures...

now lift up/carry the wheel...like normal lifting

wheel beeps five time, after that a double beep comes up.

ready, set down the wheel to the ground ahain, the sensor is now calibrated.

Check the sensor activity by lifting the wheel up and down, if it works like you want....

10 minutes ago, Circuitmage said:

@US69 I tried 3 times, it failed calibration all 3 times. Kinda weird, app says keep wheel "horizontal", but according to your directions (and what makes sense) is to keep wheel vertical.

So..yeah...

What failed? please explain...

Did the Beeps come up?

In short it is : Lift up the Wheel on the second round of beeping...should i shoot a Video?

41 minutes ago, US69 said:

What failed? please explain...

Did the Beeps come up?

In short it is : Lift up the Wheel on the second round of beeping...should i shoot a Video?

That would be great 😃

It beeps quickly, then tells me to lift it. When  I lift it it beeps about 12 times then says calibration failed. It does not do the 2 beeps while lifting to end the cal.

I'll try it a few more times, but ...yet another issue with this wheel. And this is with a relatively new control board. Could it be something inside the motor causing this?

I found the video here;

Yes, thats the vid i was Looking for… @Unventor that should do the Job...

14 minutes ago, Circuitmage said:

It beeps quickly, then tells me to lift it. When  I lift it it beeps about 12 times then says calibration failed. It does not do the 2 beeps while lifting to end the cal.

I'll try it a few more times, but ...yet another issue with this wheel. And this is with a relatively new control board. Could it be something inside the motor causing this?

I found the video here;

It should work exactly like in this Video....

Beeps Five times after activating via app...while this do Nothing, then a double Beep comes...THEN lift it up….Beeps again 5 times, then double Beep...set it down again...

Dont lift it to early…..when you say it Beeps 12 times on your lift...you lift it to early….and the Wheel/board could see no difference in NoLift/lift and cant calibrate

Otherwise, please do a short Clip, that i can see whats up.

So...still working on this...

When I say it beeps 12 times...it then goes directly to "error in calibration".

Also, I contacted the local sales rep I have and he suggested I use the new app. So, I dl'd the new app, and it's doing about the same thing. I also looked at Device info and there is a section at the bottom for "Defect Indications". It shows Pressure Sensor B: Defect.

On 3/27/2019 at 6:17 PM, Circuitmage said:

I suppose I just have to be content as a beta tester between the out of control vibrations, lock ups, strange power up/recharge issues,  speaker talking in what sounded like Chinese while charging, lift sensor not working most of the time. I was even on it a couple weeks ago...with both feet on the pedals, as I was stopped (in pendulum very slightly), I heard it beep 2 times and cut out for about 1 sec , but it quickly came back online. That is something else I am watching now. This thing really does not like to be at stop or in trolly mode.

Other than that Mrs.Lincoln, how was the play?:rolleyes:

Archived