Removing XL pedals

Siggy

48 minutes ago, Siggy said:

Want to swap them onto another unit. Have ridden for ~1500km. 

Could be wrong but these new rods seem mighty difficult to remove. How did other manage to remove them? Thank you

@Marty Backe @Rywokast

@Jason McNeil @houseofjob

The rod only moves 1 way. Easiest to see in some of the installation guides done. @Seba have a great guide on this. Removing should be a matter of backtracing.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Siggy said:

Want to swap them onto another unit. Have ridden for ~1500km. 

Could be wrong but these new rods seem mighty difficult to remove. How did other manage to remove them? Thank you

@Marty Backe @Rywokast

@Jason McNeil @houseofjob

There is a set screw on one side that needs to be removed first. Then knock out the rod starting on the opposite side.  The rod is tapered and will only come out from one direction. 

37 minutes ago, Siggy said:

I have reversed the installation instructions already to try to remove the pedals. Yet still the rods seem ‘stuck’ in. I’ve hammered from the ‘G’ side and they still don’t budge

If you don't initially or regularly de-pedal and grease the pedal rods / grub screws, then ride many miles / km, especially in the rain, the pedal rod & grub screws are liable to rust and get stuck.

This happened to me on my KS-18S switching to XL pedals. I had to swap out to new pedal arms entirely; still trying to find a way to get my old pedals off the old pedal arms. 

Whatever you do, hard hammering will be bad, as things can get more stuck. I've tried heating and grease from the outside, all to no avail. I'll probably try to find a hardware store or the like where they have a proper long bench vise.

5 minutes ago, houseofjob said:

What kind?

I did something similar with WD-40 / White Lithium Grease, which did nothing.

There are different products products like Liquid Wrench that will help much better than WD-40.   Lithium Grease will do nothing.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Dzlchef said:

There are different products products like Liquid Wrench that will help much better than WD-40.   Lithium Grease will do nothing.

Thanks!

Is Liquid Wrench better than PB Blaster?, cuz I believe I also tried that, with no luck.

5 minutes ago, houseofjob said:

Thanks!

Is Liquid Wrench better than PB Blaster?, cuz I believe I also tried that, with no luck.

I have another penetrating oil at home, can't remember the name.   I think you'll just need to apply, wait, tap, and repeat.   It was a PITA to get off when I only have a couple hundred miles, can only imagine how stuck yours are now.   Perseverance wins.

• Upvote 1

remove grub screw from the K side then use a screwdriver or any metal rod and a hammer to knock the insert out.. put the tool you're using to knock it out in the side opposite the "K" on the pedal so the insert comes out of the side with the k.. there's no trick to it it will just be jammed in there real good.. whack it out hard you won't hurt anything

3 minutes ago, Dzlchef said:

I have another penetrating oil at home, can't remember the name.   I think you'll just need to apply, wait, tap, and repeat.   It was a PITA to get off when I only have a couple hundred miles, can only imagine how stuck yours are now.   Perseverance wins.

strange, after 3000+ km mine came out easy peasy lol

9 hours ago, houseofjob said:

If you don't initially or regularly de-pedal and grease the pedal rods / grub screws, then ride many miles / km, especially in the rain, the pedal rod & grub screws are liable to rust and get stuck.

You are certainly onto something here!

Lesson learnt. 

@Dzlchef Yes I also tried WD40 to no avail. Will look into your suggestions. 

I’m intrigued how a heated vaseline, left overnight would do also

50 minutes ago, Rywokast said:

strange, after 3000+ km mine came out easy peasy lol

I’ve ridden in tons of London rain and dodgy weather! I reckon @houseofjob theory is correct. 

Perhaps your climates aren’t as hostile aka awful as ours :)

Just now, Siggy said:

I’ve ridden in tons of London rain and dodgy weather! I reckon @houseofjob theory is correct. 

Perhaps your climates aren’t as hostile aka awful as ours :)

it doesnt rain too often here.. but often enough for me to have a cheaper end dedicated rain euc haha.. its the only one i take in the rain.. try spraying with some wd-40 or whatever you have like that there around the pedal bracket and then grab the pedal from each side and rock it up and down see if you cant knock loose the insert a bit

ks.png

Assuming you are trying to move it in the correct direction (with the taper people are talking about) then your only choice is to hit it a lot harder.  If you are trying to overcome 100 unit of "stuck" you have to hit it with more that 100 units of "move". Tapping it repeatedly with 80 units of "move" will never move it.   It's up to you to make sure that nothing else gets damaged in the process, by supporting things that can move/bend/snap.etc  so they don't move..

When I worked in the oil industry, hitting thinks with a bigger hammer usually did the trick.  You can tap a pipe flange, that is not holding the test pressure of 15,000psi, all day long with a 12lb sledge and it wont seal up.  A few good swings with the 14lb hammer and the job's a good-un.

If your afraid to give it a good whack, bring it to me, I'll get it out for you.

Edited by Smoother
  • Upvote 1

• 3 years later...