Two small issues I'm having with my inmotion V8

John O'Rourke

Hey guys, I recently got a V8 and have about 35 miles logged on it. Loving it so far but having a couple hiccups and looking for input to see if there's anything that can help with the issues I'm having. 

1. The APP is awful and whenever I'm not in my home and try and connect to the bluetooth in the wheel, it fails to connect. It seems to locate the wheel but when I try and connect it is not successful. Lately I've been trying to play around with the tilt back settings and every time I need to change the setting I need to go home and plug in the wheel. Is this normal? Or should I be able to connect to the wheel when I'm on my ride without wifi? Anyone else have this issue? 

2. Speed wobbles/doesn't feel very safe when approaching max speed. Is this normal? I get the beeping warning signal a decent amount, but is it normal to start shaking when it gets close to 19mph? I Know it's the max speed, but can I comfortably cruise at 16-19? Or is the cruise speed closer to 15? I guess I'm not sure if the reason it's shaking/feels unsafe is because I'm still new to it, or if getting a wheel with a higher max speed would allow for me to comfortably cruise at 18-20? 

Hey there, I just got my V8 last week and have put over a hundred miles on it so I can give you my perspective.

1.Yes, the app is pretty bad but I find the connecting to be okay. It seems to lose connection quite frequently but it will connect enough for me to change settings on the road. 

2. I found speed wobbles went away as I practiced more. When I have a good foot position and slightly bent knees and I'm relaxed and confident. I found when I first started that I'd have a day when it was great and then the next day I'd lose a bit of confidence and I'd wobble a bit again. So for me it was practice and confidence. I find cruising to be most comfortable at around 16-17mph (on a full battery) because it starts to tip back and any faster I feel like I'm fighting it a little.

Yep, the app is not great at connecting to the wheel but eventually it connects for me (using Android BTW). Strangely the Wheel Log app hardly ever fails to connect but you can't adjust settings with that app. 

General technique for me is:

1. Turn on the wheel, lean it against a wall and leave it idle for ~20 secs.
  2. Activate all phone radios - Bluetooth, WiFi, GPS with high accuracy location detection or whatever it's called.
  3. Start the Inmotion app, grant it whatever ungodly level of permission access it requests.
  4. Restart the Inmotion app if it fails to connect twice.

Speed wobbles (I'm told) are almost always rider-induced. You approach a speed that you're not 100% comfortable with, your legs subconsciously tense up, oscillations start up, you tense up more amplifying the effect. Personally I don't have the safe environment to ride at top speeds around where I live, so that's not an envelope I push too often.

Edited by Sidewalk Enforcer

The app is really bad. I find myself just using the wheellog Android app instead unless I need to change more advanced settings and or the light effects.  Apple folks seem to like Darknessbot app instead but I'm an Android guy so I can't speak to it.  It's also nice that wheellog log creates a detailed CSV log of several attributes during the ride so you can see what the wheel is doing during the ride Etc in something like Excel if you are so inclined.

Also, I found the stability of the wheel seems to be drastically affected by tire pressure as well. Too little and it feels sluggish and slow to respond or correct.  Too high and it feels twitchy and unstable. When I adjusted it to a range close to that found at the ewheels site ( https://www.ewheels.com/guide-tires-appropriate-pressures-electric-unicycle/ ) then it feels good,  for me it feels perfect about 52 psi +- about 2 lbs. but I am pretty heavy about 245 lbs all suited up. The owner's manual just says to set it to 40psi, which is definitely not enough for my weight, also seems at risk of getting a flat by pinching the tube from an impact.

Edited by Blueblade

7 minutes ago, Blueblade said:

Also, I found the stability of the wheel seems to be drastically affected by tire pressure as well. Too little and it feels sluggish and slow to respond or correct.  Too high and it feels twitchy and unstable. When I adjusted it to a range close to that found at the ewheels site ( https://www.ewheels.com/guide-tires-appropriate-pressures-electric-unicycle/ ) then it feels good,  for me it feels perfect about 52 psi +- about 2 lbs. but I am pretty heavy about 245 lbs all suited up. The owner's manual just says to set it to 40psi, which is definitely not enough for my weight, also seems at risk of getting a flat by pinching the tube from an impact.

That's a fair point, but 52 psi - yikes! I'd be bouncing off the moon at those pressures. But I'm like 130 lbs. I prefer the squishy feel so run mine ~ 34 psi.
I did pay the price early on in my ownership however - carelessly ran the tire down to 23 psi and as you say - ended up with a pinch puncture and a long walk back home. :crying:

I had no problems with the inmotion app, unlike the kingsong app I have to reinstall for use and then deinstall for not draining the battery.

The whobbles go away once you feel confident. I had them in my first week and never again. Now I also have them with my kingsong 18 xl after mounting the bigger pedals. I dindn't had them with the small pedals but I'm sure they will go away. Watch out to not overlean your V8. Did it yesterday for the first time and didn't hear any beep. Luckily I wared safetygear and nothing happend, but could have gone bad.

On 3/18/2019 at 9:40 AM, Mossi said:

I had no problems with the inmotion app, unlike the kingsong app I have to reinstall for use and then deinstall for not draining the battery.

The whobbles go away once you feel confident. I had them in my first week and never again. Now I also have them with my kingsong 18 xl after mounting the bigger pedals. I dindn't had them with the small pedals but I'm sure they will go away. Watch out to not overlean your V8. Did it yesterday for the first time and didn't hear any beep. Luckily I wared safetygear and nothing happend, but could have gone bad.

yeah the wobbles have started to go away. How are you liking the ks18 so far? Also what happened when you overleaned? Did the wheel come to a complete stop? 

5 hours ago, John O'Rourke said:

Did the wheel come to a complete stop? 

Yes the wheel stopped, I took a short flight and then I stopped too, horizontally.

I like the KS18 XL and drive it almost everyday. It's totally different from the V8. When coming from the XL the V8 feels like a kids toy but it's much more agile than the XL. And it can drive through mud, which is completely impossible with the XL. But the XL is agile too and it's much more stable than the V8. I would say riding the V8 is a bit more fun since you can ride more aggressively. The XL feels a bit sluggish but still powerful. The restriction due to low battery is much more strict on the XL. Even with the last remaining bar blinking on the V8 you can drive fast and accelerate hard (wouldn't do so) while the XL won't go any faster than a pedestrian when it's close to the end.

On 3/15/2019 at 7:33 PM, Sidewalk Enforcer said:

That's a fair point, but 52 psi - yikes! I'd be bouncing off the moon at those pressures. But I'm like 130 lbs. I prefer the squishy feel so run mine ~ 34 psi.
I did pay the price early on in my ownership however - carelessly ran the tire down to 23 psi and as you say - ended up with a pinch puncture and a long walk back home. :crying:

I agree on tire pressure being key.  I'm about 200 lbs. and I keep mine right around 55 psi.  Much below that and it doesn't respond the way I want, if I go higher it is twitchy and more likely to wobble at high speed.  At 55 psi I can ride it at the max and never feel wobble.  I ride it several times per week and I find that I need to top off the air about every other week to keep it how I like it.

Yeah the official app is horrible.  It keeps on starting and creating an error.  So every time I want to use it I have to download it, alter the setting then delete it! What a PIA!

Tyre pressures, I'm 170lb, and run 38 to 40 psi.  The wobbles go away after a while.  It's a user thing.  In flying we called it PIO - pilot induced oscillations. 

2 hours ago, smarty said:

Yeah the official app is horrible.  It keeps on starting and creating an error.  So every time I want to use it I have to download it, alter the setting then delete it! What a PIA!

If you force stop the app it won't do that. You have to go to settings->applications->click on the app and then force stop. Or something along those lines.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, tessa25 said:

If you force stop the app it won't do that. You have to go to settings->applications->click on the app and then force stop. Or something along those lines.

Yep.  I've done that.  I'm in android 8.1.  It is bizarre - I keep getting an error message even after I've done a force stop.  Soo annoying

• 1 month later...

I wasn’t able to use the InMotion app at all. DarknessBot is the only one able to connect. Apart from the speed limit (and mileage use), is there anything else the app is useful?

i thought setting a code in the pairing impedes a stolen device to be used. 

As as for the wobbling, it happened at higher speeds. Decreasing the speed helps. I heard it’s low pressure in the tires but must be control too. I got mine yesterday and I’m not confident using it.

1 minute ago, Uniafi said:

I wasn’t able to use the InMotion app at all. DarknessBot is the only one able to connect. Apart from the speed limit (and mileage use), is there anything else the app is useful?

As as for the wobbling, it happened at higher speeds. Decreasing the speed helps. I heard it’s low pressure in the tires but must be control too. I got mine yesterday and I’m not confident using it.

I don't use the Inmotion app for anything. But I am not using special lights or sound.

Wobbling happens before your muscles/brain know how to handle the wheel. Goes away with practice.

7 hours ago, Uniafi said:

For recalibration when you experience nose dipping in tight curves, for setting the maximal speed and the default pedal tilt. It also has a fault diagnosis / sanity check routine, which is of course usually not necessary :innocent1:

7 hours ago, Uniafi said:

I don't think so, but I would be happy to learn that there is such a function.

• 4 years later...

As far as the app connectivity I’m not too sure as I’ve not had that problem. However when it comes to the speed wobbles I like to think I’m a Pro. First of all the speed wobbles only come when you are unsure of your footing. The wheel can sense when you are not comfortable and sure footed. Thus come the wobbles. If you relax your stance and feel the wheel beneath you. It will for lack of a better term, relax also! As you grow more comfortable. When I get the speed wobbles just slightly lean back. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Brandon404 said:

As far as the app connectivity I’m not too sure as I’ve not had that problem. However when it comes to the speed wobbles I like to think I’m a Pro. First of all the speed wobbles only come when you are unsure of your footing. The wheel can sense when you are not comfortable and sure footed. Thus come the wobbles. If you relax your stance and feel the wheel beneath you. It will for lack of a better term, relax also! As you grow more comfortable. When I get the speed wobbles just slightly lean back. 

Did you notice that you replied and gave good advice to a thread that hasn’t been replied to in four years? It’s safe to assume that things discussed in this thread are not relevant anymore.

If there’s something you want to discuss about, please start a new thread instead. Or in case of wobbles, reply to one of the recent ones. Though your advice has already been shared on most of them.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/16/2019 at 12:33 AM, Sidewalk Enforcer said:

The maximum cold tyre inflation pressure is 40psi. ( the never exceed pressure ) .  It’s stamped on the sidewall of the tyre!